Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,825 members, 7,824,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

How to start a relationship with estranged fam - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How to start a relationship with estranged fam (1446 Views)

I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. / Emeka Ike's Estranged Wife In Adultery Mess / Top Reasons Men Withdraw Emotionally From A Relationship - (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to start a relationship with estranged fam by YinkatheGreat(f): 2:26am On May 28, 2005
Just recently I got a chance to meet my cousins in Greece and Nigeria. How can I start a positive relationship with them? I'm a bit lost.
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by Seun(m): 11:43am On May 28, 2005
YInka, you need to tell us more.
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by 4evah(f): 9:43pm On May 28, 2005
i fink its a bit easy just try to get to kno each oda n workk thngs out only if deres somethng u still need to say as seun sd..
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by YinkatheGreat(f): 8:53pm On May 29, 2005
Sorry LOL I was a bit vauge huh? Anyways heres the full story: my father is from Nigeria and my mom is from America, We live in America. Way back when, for whatever reason my dad stop talking to his folks back home. Because of this I never got to talk to any of his family. Just recently my father started to talk to his family again after like 20 years . So he gives me all these numbers and some calling cards and tells me to talk to my cousins and aunts. Im a shy person and I don't know how to speak Yoruba , so I don't know what to say when I do call them. hope that clears things up!
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by Seun(m): 9:01pm On May 29, 2005
Try asking your dad to introduce you to each of them one at a time. Since he's the one who is primarily related to them, he should be the one to introduce you. Be prepared - you may have no common interest with any of them, but it's ok.

Others will definitely have better advice
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by 4evah(f): 11:06pm On May 29, 2005
If they understand English, you can speak to them in English. And if you think they don't sound interested in meeting you, I think you should just tell your dad and let it go. But still, try your best getting to know them better; I think you'll really like (if they turn out good) to be back with your long lost family.
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by salako: 4:01am On Sep 26, 2005
Send the young ones dollars and the promise of more on a monthly basis. Then you will have a financial relationship they will always remember and luv you for. Send pictures of yourself and the people in your life coupled with letters, for familiarity sake.
Good Luck!
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by Motee(f): 11:59am On Sep 27, 2005
With dollars according to Ajsalako, you will win the heart of most of them. Infact you will soon meet some of the great, great, extended family who are not directly related to your great, great, family from your father's side.
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by nucca(f): 1:38pm On Sep 30, 2005
i agree with motee, then you can truly become 'yinka the great'
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by mide2(f): 3:52am On Dec 22, 2005
salako:

Send the young ones dollars and the promise of more on a monthly basis. Then you will have a financial relationship they will always remember and love you for. Send pictures of yourself and the people in your life coupled with letters, for familiarity sake.
Good Luck!
Motee:

With dollars according to Ajsalako, you will win the heart of most of them. Infact you will soon meet some of the great, great, extended family who are not directly related to your great, great, family from your father's side.
nucca:

i agree with motee, then you can truly become 'yinka the great'

I don't think you can get a better advice than these 3 up here......infact you will find out you are related to almost everyone in Nigeria. Give it a try and report back to your board of trustees - (Salako, Motee and Nucca) grin
Re: How to start a relationship with estranged fam by chinani(f): 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2006
When you call, get their email and physical/mailing address. That way you don't have to depend on the time (remember the 7/8 hr difference) for communication. Email can also be more "casual" and you can send them funny things, ask them questions, etc. They can answer in their own time. I think snail mail is a great idea too b/c it takes time and consideration which always shows. Get as many addresses etc as you can. In the beginning some will write you back and some will not. That's o.k. b/c some are shy, busy, or not family oriented at the present moment. But the ones you do speak to will educate/inform the others so when you go and visit they'll have a general idea. Unfortunately you are a shy person doing a bold man's job. But, I encourage you to persist no matter how the initial reaction is. The pay off will be HUGE! And it will benefit you alone. (Your dad seems to have his bases covered etc.)

I'm all for the dollar bill idea but make sure you can't "tell" there's money in the envelope. wink

(1) (Reply)

How Can You Locate Your Lost Child, Whom You Saw As A Baby Now Over Twenty Years / Sugar Daddy And Mummy / How Can I Be Sure Someone Is Pregnant ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.