Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,700 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:17 PM

Chibok Girls’ Swap Political Decision – Chief Of Defence Staff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chibok Girls’ Swap Political Decision – Chief Of Defence Staff (752 Views)

Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? / $1m Found In Alex Badeh's Wardrobe - Witness Exposes Ex-Chief Of Defence Staff / Refurbished Gunboat Inaugurated In Okrika By Olonisakin, Chief Of Defence Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chibok Girls’ Swap Political Decision – Chief Of Defence Staff by makzeze: 5:11am On Aug 16, 2016
The Chief of Defence Staff, Lt-General Abayomi Olonishakin, says only the political authorities can decide on the demand by Boko Haram militants to exchange the abducted Chibok girls with the sect’s detained members.
Olonishakin was addressing State House correspondents yesterday after a workshop organised for chief executives of government agencies held at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said the military would sustain its counter-insurgency operations.
In a video released by the sect weekend, a man clad in military uniform hanging an AK47 rifle had said some of the girls were still alive but would only be exchanged with Boko Haram members in the custody of Nigerian authorities.

“That (swapping of Chibok girls with detained sect members) is a political decision to be taken. The military decision is that we are going ahead with our operations. The operation is being conducted appropriately,” he said.
Olonishakin, who said the meeting was on how to handle all forms of crises including terrorism or flood, added the military was analysing the video and would make appropriate comments at the right time.

Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, also spoke on the sect’s swap request, saying: “Until you are able to ascertain the authenticity of those you are talking to, you don’t go into details.”

The minister restated that the government was in touch with the leadership of the sect but was being careful and cautious to ensure that they were talking to the right people especially with the reports of a split in the leadership.
“But what is important is the safety and security of these girls. The thrust of my statement was to ensure the nation that we’re on top of the situation. We’re not even just reacting to the video, we’ve gone far beyond the video in talking to the group already,” he said.

On the plan by the #BringBackOurGirls campaigners to match to the State House again, Mohammed said: “We appreciate their commitment to the return of these girls, but there are a few things we need to do behind the scene. What we’re saying is that the government is committed to doing everything to rescue these girls. We’re engaging them. By saying we’re talking to them, I’m talking from a point of knowledge. It does not matter what other people say. I know that the government is in touch with the group.”

The Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service, Hameed Ali, said the workshop was arranged for chief executives to understand how to respond to emergency issues and be in the position to advise the president to take the right decisions under emergency cases whether on terrorism, flood or any other thing.

We’re not on the run, Salkida, Wakil, Bolori

Two of the three people declared wanted by the Nigerian Army over alleged ties with the Boko Haram have presented themselves to military authorities in Abuja and Maiduguri, saying their roles over the missing Chibok girls were clear to Nigerian authorities.
Barrister Aisha Alkali Wakil was at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja yesterday, while Ahmed Bolori was at the 7 Division Nigerian Army on Sunday and yesterday, even as Ahmad Salkida issued a statement from Dubai, saying he would soon be on his way home.
The Nigerian Army on Sunday declared journalist Salkida, Barrister Wakil and activist Bolori wanted.
A statement from army spokesman, Colonel Sani Usman, said the three individuals had information on the conditions and the exact location of the Chibok girls but refused to tell the authorities.
“We are relying on the relevant laws of the land and in particular the Terrorism Prevention Act 2011 (as amended) where Nigerians could be punished for failure to disclose information about terrorists or terrorists’ activities,” he said.

Give me ticket to return home –Salkida
In a statement issued yesterday, Salkida, who is on self -exile in Dubai, UAE, said he would be glad if Nigerian authorities could give him air ticket to facilitate his return.
“Clearly, my status as a Nigerian journalist who has reported extensively, painstakingly and consistently on the Boko Haram menace in the country since 2006 is an open book known to Nigerians and the international community. Equally, my total allegiance and sacrifice to the Federal Republic of Nigeria is self-evident. I have stayed within the creed of professional journalism in my work.
“As a testimony to the credible and professional values of my access, since May 2015, l have been to Nigeria three times on the invitation of federal government agencies. I made personal sacrifices for the release of our Chibok daughters.
“Finally, the army is aware that I am not in Nigeria presently. In the coming days I will seek to get a flight to Abuja and avail myself to the army authorities. Indeed, my return will be hastened if the military sends me a ticket,” he said.

Aisha Wakil visits Army headquarters

The Nigerian army yesterday said Aisha Wakil, turned herself in at the army headquarters in Abuja.
The spokesman of the Nigerian Army, Colonel Sani Usman, told Daily Trust that she made herself available to investigators at the Army Headquarters.
Asked if she was detained, he said: “We did not say we were arresting people, they were invited to shed more light because from all indications they know more than they acknowledge publicly. Our own concern is to make sure we rescue all persons being held by the Boko Haram group including the Chibok girls so anybody with tangible information should come forward.”

Aisha Wakil had before her arrival in Abuja from Maiduguri yesterday issued a statement saying the Nigerian Army was clearly out for mischief by declaring her wanted.
“I know the Boko Haram boys. I had been in front fighting for peace long before the Chibok girls were kidnapped. Nigerian security knows me too well, I’m not shady. Why declaring me wanted?
“I have had meetings with the Chief of Army staff and his people. I told them the way forward, to allow me come with some commanders of Boko Haram and discuss with them, present the release of CBGs (Chibok girls) but they chose to do things their own way only and never gave considerations to any of my suggestions.
“I want to inform the Nigerian people of my innocence and make them realise that I am in constant relation with the security personnel and they know where to find me but I wonder why I had to be declared wanted on national news, even mentioning my husband’s name alongside.
“This has put my immediate and extended family under a lot of pressure and I do not deserve this from the Nigerian government,” she said.

I’m a good citizen –Bolori
On his part, Bolori, who kept updating his interaction with the military on his Facebook page throughout yesterday, said he would remain a good citizen because he took himself to the 7 Division Nigerian Army, Maimalari Barracks, on Sunday but was asked to go back home and return yesterday.
He said he went back at about 10am, signed the visitors’ register, waited for over one hour at the gate and thereafter asked to drive in.
“The army is now treating me friendly and peacefully, as a nice colonel by the name ‘Ahmed’ (a military police), just took me to his office to drink tea. May God help us,” he said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/chibok-girls-swap-political-decision--cds/159126.html#PPVuy33hvqv8jFoh.99

From left: Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar; Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin and Comptroller-General, Nigerian Customs Service, Retired Col. Hammed Ali, after the special Security meeting at the Presidential Villa Abuja yesterday.

Re: Chibok Girls’ Swap Political Decision – Chief Of Defence Staff by Mrbllymer: 5:21am On Aug 16, 2016
Imagine
Re: Chibok Girls’ Swap Political Decision – Chief Of Defence Staff by Mynd44: 5:22am On Aug 16, 2016
Re: Chibok Girls’ Swap Political Decision – Chief Of Defence Staff by kossyablaze(m): 5:47am On Aug 16, 2016
Coolie

(1) (Reply)

Meet Yaa Sun The Only One Living In Damasak After Bokoharam Sack / PDP To APC: Stop The Blame Game, Your Policies Responsible For Recession / Emir Of Kano Lamido Sanusi Asks Buhari’s Government A Simple Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.