Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,118 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Advice On Buying Domains - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advice On Buying Domains (1049 Views)

How Many Domains Can I Buy With 0.99 On Godaddy / Need Help On Buying Softwares Online? / Need Someone To Help Me Build A Website On Buying And Selling E-currency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Buying Domains by kiwibabe(f): 10:51pm On Dec 11, 2006
Hey people, I need a bit of advice.

I want to buy a domain but I have no idea how it works, I have searched the name which is available, but I don't know what to do next. Any info would be appreciated.

Do I need to buy a domain with a host?
Is it advisable to take up the freebies that is offered with the site?
If I buy a domain from one site, can I get a different site to host it? (will they charge me for that?)
Is it advisable to buy a domain like from the US if I am in the UK.
If I buy the domain is it active or only available for me to design it until I buy a host?
What is the best amount of time to subscribe for a domain, i.e 1, 2, 5 year(s)?
Why is it different site charge different prices for domain names? (should I shop around?)

I have soo many questions but above is just a starting point.
Re: Advice On Buying Domains by naijacutee(f): 11:52pm On Dec 11, 2006
I'm not very good at this kind of stuff but I've suceeded in buying 3 domains.

I don't know about other sites but with Lycos you can just buy a domain name and hold it until you are ready to use it. This costs a one-off fee of like £3.98 for 2 years. (£1.99 per year but now they have an offer for £1). When you are ready to start  building a site, you can then pay for hosting . Hosting costs a fixed amount every month.

If you want a .co.uk domain, your best bet would be a UK domain service provider. The thing with US providers is that even though their dollars may be cheap, you might want to call customer service at some point (for example if you need step-by-step help) and you'll find yourself paying lots of money. Also, if something goes wrong, you might find yourself at a loss if you have to post verification documents etc as mails between the UK and the US can be extremely slow.

If you buy a domain from one site, you can get it transferred to another hosting provider for hosting if you are not satisfied.

I host with Lycos and I choose them because with them, you don't have to be a professional web designer to create a website and there are no strings attached to their freebies. You get all your stuff on a CD. They provide you with all the necessary tools that you would otherwise pay a web-designer for. They even give free tutorials on various subjects  - PHP and SQL, HTML etc if those are your weak areas. they also give you £50 Google Adsense vouchers and Yahoo vouchers as well. If you are looking to start a shop, they have different levels of e-commerce packages and their website is relatively easy to understand. Also, their basic try-it-out hosting service starts from £1.99/month. They provide you with enough gear to get you started.

Here, you can check them out : http://www.partnershop.co.uk/shop/7281/    Just click on the webhosting home down the left side and you can choose "Personal" from the  range of options.
Re: Advice On Buying Domains by sinha: 6:07am On Apr 06, 2011
Hi you can buy domain names from http://www.goresellers.com/ .I recently bought my domain here.
Re: Advice On Buying Domains by TCDURU(m): 2:14pm On Feb 28, 2012
Buying a domain and hosting needs lots of carefulness on the buyer's side.

You have to find out if the registrars or hosts have good reputation/affordable/good client support etc

We provide all these for our clients:

DuruSystems.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Web Host Owners / I Want To B A Computer Programmer, Networker, Web Designer And A Blogger ASAP / Ed Snowden's Secure Email Provider Shuts Down Under Gag Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.