Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,589 members, 7,770,535 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:28 AM

What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin (34203 Views)

What Coca-cola Does To Your Penis Will Shock You / 10 Amazing Things The Body Does To Keep Us Alive / See What Alcohol Does To Your Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by DaFuhrer(m): 1:30pm On Aug 18, 2016
We spend ridiculous amounts of money and time in pursuit of the perfect skin. We’re like pedantic drill sergeants when it comes to removing makeup before we go to bed and applying day and night creams, toners, serums and eye creams. But somehow we’re just not there yet. The answer to our problem might be staring us in the face. Or rather – in our throats.

*Alcohol.
While there are tonnes of nasty effects alcohol could have on your skin, it’s not all doom and gloom. It might be about cutting back or just switching to a less harmful alternative.

What alcohol does to your skin
There’s a reason you’re so thirsty for water after a night of heavy drinking. Alcohol dehydrates you. And this dehydration wreaks havoc on your skin, making appear dry and less fresh the next morning. Dry skin is much more likely to wrinkle. That’s why heavy drinkers often seem older than they are.

Not only that – alcohol is also a hepatotoxin, which specifically damages the liver. And this effect on skin? “One way to look at it, is to ask what does someone look like who is dying of liver failure? They’re sallow, they’re pasty, they’re cold, their pores are huge,” Dr David Colbert, founder of New York Dermatology Group told the Huffington Post .

Alcohol also steals Vitamin A, which aids cell renewal and turnover, meaning your skin can start looking grey and dull. “If you look at a woman who has been drinking for 20 or 30 years, and a woman the same age who hasn’t at all, we see a massive difference in the skin—more wrinkles from that dehydration damage, which can make you look 10 years older,” nutritionist Jairo Rodriguez says in Vogue.

The best and worst drinks for your skin

• Clear shots
(gin, tequila, vodka) vs dark shots (rum, whiskey tequila)
“Different alcohols have different effects on the skin, but as a general rule, the clearer, the better: Vodka, gin, and tequila gets out of your system quicker,” Rodriguez says.
These shots are the best way of avoiding sugar, salt, caffeine and other harmful ingredients (more on that later).

Nursing one or two shots of clear shots all evening is fine but be warned: some people who drink shots might end up drinking more alcohol than intended and more alcohol is always the worst option for your skin.

•Dark shots
ln contrast to clear shots, generally contain a thing called congeners (aka impurities) which are used in the fermentation process and which may worsen your hangover. Even though the connection hasn’t been formally proven, the excess impurities of the congeners may age skin, the Huffington Post says.

• Mojitos, margaritas, white wine and other sweet drinks
Sugar has a bad reputation in many industries and when it comes to alcohol it’s no different. “Sugar anywhere in the diet, along with other excessive carbs, leads to systemic inflammation, which contributes ultimately to cell damage and increased skin aging,” Dr Jessica Krant Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center says. “The less sugar you take in with your alcohol, the better for your long-term wrinkle risk.”

Unfortunately, this goes for white wine too, which contains a lot of sugar.
Margaritas and other tequila-based drinks have the extra problem of containing salt as well as sugar. “The intake of any salt, no matter the source, does contribute to bloating,” Dr. Krant explains. “This is temporary, but no one likes to feel and look puffy on top of a hangover.”

Alcohol also steals Vitamin A, which aids cell renewal and turnover, meaning your skin can start looking grey and dull.

• Beer
Beer also contains salt, but isn’t dangerously high in sodium levels like other drinks. It also has some other redeeming qualities: it has less alcohol than straight liquor if you look at it from a millilitre to millilitre basis. It also contains some anti-aging benefits and antioxidants. Look out for calories in beer, though. No point in avoiding the skin problem, but replacing it with a weight gain problem.

• Red wine
Once again red wine comes out as the unexpected winner in a health test. “Red wine contains more antioxidants than white, which may help counteract some aging processes,”
Dr. Krant says. “I would say the best single drink to have to support skin health and minimize aging risks is a glass of red wine.”
It’s not all good news, though. Red wine is toxic when you have skin issues like rosacea (a facial skin condition characterised by redness and spots).

Experts are also quick to add that any alcohol in excess is bad for your skin.

•Other side effects
Not only is excess alcohol in itself not good for your skin, what you do after drinking copious amounts could be just as bad. Think of those times when you go to bed with makeup on or start with your ‘social smoking’ habit. Both big no-no’s when it comes to beautiful skin.

http://m.news24.com.ng/nigeria/Lifestyle/what-drinking-alcohol-does-to-your-skin-20160804-2

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Edwardhead(m): 2:26pm On Aug 18, 2016
Uncle op, please post this to the religious so that we can know your are preaching....

first time to be FTC here
ladies and gentlemen,
let d party start grin

9 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by veekid(m): 8:48pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nice write up Uhn
As if this would stop me from zipping Jack Daniels tonight

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by israelboy1(m): 8:48pm On Aug 18, 2016
Water which is the cheapest and also the best...

MAN won't go for it

MAN is always in support of the wrong...to making the right look wrong

MAN is ready to defend the WRONG....just to bend the rules..to their own enjoyment

MAN is ready to deceive you with ALL..just to getting what he wants

THE HEART OF MAN IS SO DEEP

think twice, before trusting the words of MEN

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by benedictnsi(m): 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2016
Hmmmm..... Yet we can't do without Alcho gringrin

1 Like

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by edlion57(m): 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nawa Y is it that every thing that gives me joy is bad
Sex is bad
Alcohol is bad
Etc

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by casttlebarbz(m): 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2016
66...my booking number

1 Like

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by naijainfogalery: 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2016
just put it in one sentence. should we or should we not shayo?

1 Like

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by prettyAdaolisa(f): 8:52pm On Aug 18, 2016
Airtel why nah? angry
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Mopolchi: 8:52pm On Aug 18, 2016
But mama still drinks and she dey old and kicking

18 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by chimaobinelson(m): 8:52pm On Aug 18, 2016
irresponsibly mixed-Alcoholic drinks consumption do interfer wit male sex urge,performance n reduction in phallus size…Truly

Thank me laterundecided
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 18, 2016
I dont drink alcohol wink

2 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by paragon40(m): 8:53pm On Aug 18, 2016
Aduke gbemu war

4 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 18, 2016
In a nutshell, beer is the best! You're right bro, but I'll just stick to my beer! Na wetin dey make man happy be that!
The poster below me is on point. I'm sipping my "33"(not Gulder) right now, with enough suya!
The DJ is goooood cheesy

Beer is not dangerously high in sodium level like others wink

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by SWORD419(m): 8:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
i know some are sipping there gulder while reading this

4 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
When chuck Norris drinks, the bottles get drunk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by johnstar(m): 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
grin
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by boman2014: 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
Ha
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
veekid:
Nice write up Uhn
As if this would stop me from zipping Jack Daniels tonight
Jah Bless you man.

1 Like

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by yanshDoctor: 8:57pm On Aug 18, 2016
..enough of this bullshit. I started drinking for as long as I couldn't remember. I am still looking fresher than a lot of people who are not drinking. so who this information wan come help. me or them?

4 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by tempem: 8:59pm On Aug 18, 2016
edlion57:
Y is it that every thing that gives me joy is bad
Sex is bad
Alcohol is bad
Etc
Let me assume you are sincere.

With that in mind..

Bad things comes easy.. But you gotta work to get the good going.

3 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Originalsly: 9:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
Interesting.... I'm sure alcohol must be good for something....if we take it in moderation. Afterall. .....a little wine is good for the stomach.

2 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by paulo220(m): 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2016
OP....which of the alcohol (beer,or red wine,or spirit) are u referring to?
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by davss02(m): 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2016
He dat has hear let him hear....some wailers will quote me
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by NobleRomm(m): 9:02pm On Aug 18, 2016
I DONT DRINK OOO
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by queenfav(f): 9:03pm On Aug 18, 2016
I know all this,but I need alcohol at times to cope with the kind of clients we represent.The fact that you have to ignore your conscience and represent someone you despise ; knowing fully well he/she is guilty of a heinous crime makes the alcohol very very necessary!I can't complain though.It helps to remind myself about the presumption of innocence and just do my job regardless of what I know.That makes alcohol my therapy and escape from reality !

4 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by NobleRomm(m): 9:03pm On Aug 18, 2016
I THANK GOD THAT I DONT DRINK OOO
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by stinggy(m): 9:05pm On Aug 18, 2016
veekid:
Nice write up Uhn As if this would stop me from zipping Jack Daniels tonight
Abi jare... Old number 7 cheesy We love it!
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by AreaFada2: 9:05pm On Aug 18, 2016
edlion57:
Y is it that every thing that gives me joy is bad
Sex is bad
Alcohol is bad
Etc

Soon SE or Dream team winning a game will join the "baddie list". cheesy grin
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by AfroKnight: 9:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
queenfav:
I know all this,but I need alcohol at times to cope with the kind of clients I meet.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by Kyllahmc(m): 9:08pm On Aug 18, 2016
I can never trust any guy that doesnt take alcohol...

2 Likes

Re: What Drinking Alcohol Does To Your Skin by space1(m): 9:09pm On Aug 18, 2016
The bad is bad!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help!!! My Sister Is Having A Mental Health Challenge / Man Almost Slips Into Convulsion After Taking "Colorado" / 7 Foods That Will Boost Your Digestive Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.