Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,859 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now (2500 Views)

Diezani Confesses: I Stepped On Big Toes, But I Never Commited Any Crime / IBB, OBJ Clash / Who Killed Dele Giwa? Was IBB Involved? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 6:55pm On Dec 12, 2006
Gen. Babangida in his letter to President Obasanjo said: “I wish to convey to you my decision to withdraw from the PDP nomination process. The reason grows out of a moral dilemma I faced as soon as Alhaji Umar Yar’Adua and Gen. Aliu Mohammed Gusau entered the race. I have been wrestling with this for quite some time and now came to this decision.

“Those who know me know my relationship with Yar’Adua family.

The patriarch, Alhaji Musa Yar’Adua took me as his adopted son with his son, the late Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua and instilled in late Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua and me that nothing should be done by either of us that would give the impression that there is a strain in our relationship.

“To me, this extends to his younger brother, Alhaji Umar Yar’Adua who I take as my younger brother. Whenever I see him, I see the late Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua and I am always reminded of what his late father told us about our relationship.

“As soon as he collected the form, he came to me to solicit my support as an elder brother and I freely gave him. I still stand by that. What this means is that I will not be in competition with him. This is what he would expect from his late elder brother, Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua.

“As for Gen. Aliyu Mohammed Gusau, by March 2007, it will be 40 years of close, intense, harmonious relationship extending to our immediate and extended families.

He, too, came to see me to ask for my support as soon as he collected his form even though he knew I had already collected mine. Out of abiding loyalty, he knew when I said, ‘you have my support,’ that I wanted it to be so.

“So on personal, moral grounds, I would rather allow these two gentlemen to continue their ambition in the PDP. I value many years of harmonious relationship to unnecessary and avoidable strain.

“Mr. President, I wish to inform you that I shall be exploring other options in due course to advance my commitment to democracy and the Nigerian nation.”

And replying, President Obasanjo said:
I am at once surprised and pleased at your letter intimating me of your desire to withdraw from contesting the presidential primaries of our party, the PDP.

You attribute your decision to due consideration of your adoptive sonship to late General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua which is transferred to his younger brother, Umaru. You also refer to your 40 years of friendship with Aliyu Gusau.
You affirm that you will find it morally difficult to compete or contest against both Aliyu Gusau and Umaru Yar’Adua since both of them sought your support for their presidential ambitions.

“I do understand and appreciate your dilemma at having to give your support to two close people at the same time for the same office. This is even easier handled than having to compete with both of them at the same time

Knowing you as I have known you over the years, this decision of yours which must be appreciated and commended by all well-meaning friends of yours and those who might not be so friendly, is a clear indication of your good-naturedness and your character of loyalty to a cause and to friends, dead or alive.

This is one attribute I have found to be quite uncommon in some quarters within the political arena in these days. It, therefore, must be applauded by one and all whenever it is found. I so applaud you. Together with other elder statesmen, you can join hands to continue to build as a non-partisan contributor.

“I crave your indulgence to forward a copy of your letter and my response to the National Chairman of our party, the PDP, who I am sure will be equally delighted at the nobility of your action and may choose to use it as he deems fit.

“I have written this acknowledgment in a hurry as I am on my way to Syria on a state visit. When I return, I will be able to talk to you
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 7:15pm On Dec 12, 2006
This letter to me is a sign of a true leader, a sign of loyalty, a sign of upstandingness, a sign of honor, a sign of dignity, a sign of high standard, a sign of high respect. Bravo to IBB.
I'm proud to commend IBB for exhibiting such a superior high class

It is obvious and confirmed by many that most Nigerian leaders are lacking any of these qualities.
And the dead heads wonder why 76% of the nation are utterly behind IBB.

Don't get it twisted folks; I can assure you that this is only the beginning; let's sit and watch.

I stand upright by my belief; My support for IBB remains incompressible.

May God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 7:53pm On Dec 12, 2006
Any IBB hater that rejoices because he stepped aside for now, truly does not understand politics.

FYI: From day one, IBB anticipated this action and reaction; and believe me, he's fully prepared.

"A given position has no value like the one you worked and fought hard to procure"; IBB is focused and determined to fight to the end.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by mazaje(m): 8:25pm On Dec 12, 2006
he stepped down because he knows he will never win, nigerians dont need him he should go and keep on eating the stolen money he has till death comes his way we dont need him peroid.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by zexyworm: 9:16pm On Dec 12, 2006
Big B1 you never cease to amuse me. I'm laughing hysterically!
I suggest you stop living in the past and accept it plain and simple: Babangida is an expired dictator who should retire from politics and ANSWER to the EFCC for the stolen billions.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Mariory(m): 10:13pm On Dec 12, 2006
LMFAO at this thread. LOL LOL LOL LOL

LAUGHING OUT LOUD @ IBB.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 10:28pm On Dec 12, 2006
"the one that laughs last laughs best and forever"
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 12, 2006
@BigB1

Don't you see the ridiculousness in IBB's statement?, He is stepping down for Yar'adua and then he is going to compete with him on the big stage, does that make sense?, If you're stepping down for Yar'adua, then do it completely.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Aggressa(m): 12:53am On Dec 13, 2006
@All,
You are seriously under-estimating the cunniness of IBB by rejoicing that he 'withdrew' from the race fo Gusau. This is a dangerous man who never does anything for nothing. I am sure that by saying he withdrew for Yar-adua and Gusau, IBB is indirectly telling us that one of them is going to be the next president; in addition, he probably has secured assurances from both of them that he would not be bothered, probed, EFCC'ed, ICPC'ed, etcUnfortunately, that is a mistake on his part!!
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by LoverBwoy(m): 1:06am On Dec 13, 2006
Big B1, is there something we should know about you and IBB?

Havilla.
I dont think this dude Yardua( son/younger brother) really have any gut to prosecute IBB, i think he will probably just want to do his thing and not get involved in whatever happens in the past.
I dont even think the guy really wants this job,he's like a puppet just handpicked for his name kmt!
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 2:24am On Dec 13, 2006
@HAVILA:

You're very very smart. Please say no more.

It is very clear that none of these folks understands politics.

I will sit and watch.

I rest my case.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 2:54am On Dec 13, 2006
@Loverbwoy

Dude, when are you going to wake up?

Nobody is prosecuting anybody, period.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Nobody: 6:02am On Dec 13, 2006
Big B1:

This letter to me is a sign of a true leader, a sign of loyalty, a sign of upstandingness, a sign of honor, a sign of dignity, a sign of high standard, a sign of high respect. Bravo to IBB.

It is obvious and confirmed by many that most Nigerian leaders are lacking any of these qualities.
And the dead heads wonder why 76% of the nation are utterly behind IBB.

Don't get it twisted folks; I can assure you that this is only the beginning; let's sit and watch.

I stand upright by my belief; My support for IBB remains incompressible.

May God bless Nigeria.

Are you being paid or are you just a plain idiot?,

In quitting the race for president, IBB cites filial loyalty to the father of the Late Musa Musa YarAdua who he claims raised him. He believes as usual he can insult our collective intelligence as he portrays himself as a loyal person, but one is forced to ask where this virtue was when needed to save the life of Mamman Vasta whom he had known since childhood? Where was this virtue in saving the life of Late Musa YarAdua from his alter ego Sani Abacha? Conveniently in these cases IBB’S hands were tied. The truth remains that empirically it is proven that IBB is loyal only to IBB, this present smokescreen is classic of his opportunism (always masked with virtue), and the only reason why IBB has pulled out of this race is simply because he cannot submit himself to a democratic process where he is not sure of the outcome and knowing fully well that a defeat would demystify the myth surrounding the sphinx, fostering the “ordinariness” of this infantry solider, so he has chosen to retreat.
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/ibb-unmasking-the-sphinx.html

IBB isn't kidding anybody but himself. How loyal can you be if you're going to step down for Yar'adua in the primaries but end up contesting against him under another party?, On either level, you're contesting against him so his excuse makes no sense whatsoever. Ofcourse, if you BigB1 had any sense, you should have known that.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by wills(m): 8:09am On Dec 13, 2006
@Big B1, u AND ALL YUR LIKES ,INCLUDING IBB HIMSELF ARE ARE LOSSERS> >>>>>>SEE THE WAY OUT
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Bolarge(m): 9:47am On Dec 13, 2006
Big B1:

I overheard Safiya Vatsa (late Gen.Mamman Vatsa's widow) sayin' som'n similar. grin
Loyalty,honor my narrow black a$$ angry
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Jaybaba(m): 12:22pm On Dec 13, 2006
Ibb's losses have begun.
He is stepping aside for a virtually unknown person on the ground of not competing with him in PDP. But he will compete with him on the big stage. What is this? The two letters are an open show of modern hypocrisy.

For starters IBB has lost N5m to PDP for picking up their form, (E no pinch am at all o)
He will go elsewhere and probably spend the same N5m and withdraw for maybe (Shagari or Ahmadu Bello's son in law) grin.

The millions he has spent so far on PDP campaign nonesense is all a waste now and more waste will be declared soon. Nigerians be wise, what man will spend so much to become president if he is not investing in legalised way to rob tax payers money?

IBB is a dictator and he is on the wrong side of Nigeria's history. We have not forgotten and we are no fools. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Mariory(m): 12:24pm On Dec 13, 2006
Big B1:

"the one that laughs last laughs best and forever"

LAUGHING SO HARD @ IBB. *Ribs starting to hurt a little.*
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by segoye2(m): 8:41pm On Dec 13, 2006
PDP is a failure and I must confess, from all point of view, IBB knew it and has exercise the spirit of a leader by opting out.

The point that IBB left PDP is not a stamp of failure or a standing point that his going to fail as the president in 2007. From all indications, IBB is still the man that can shape things right.

If IBB is a sinner or a killer as you portray him to be, then show us or point to us who is the Saint in this present state of our national democracy.  Point out or name who you think is going to fit in for the 2007 presidential seat. Just a simple question.

Across the country, through out the federation; PDP has finally failed us over and over. And even when the anti-IBB are happy that he opted out, our joy knew no bounds.

Am sincerely happy that IBB is finally out of PDP, it's a great development.

God save NIGERIA

SEGOYE2
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 9:02pm On Dec 13, 2006
Let's sit back and watch.

The one that laughs last laughs best and forever.

We will all jubilate together as one when the time is right.

As per segoye2's suggestion: " if you think IBB is corrupt and a murderer, please point out the saint"

I am curious to know the saint, hence IBB haters, please point the saint out.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by kitaun(m): 3:38am On Dec 14, 2006
He who is blameless let him cast the first stone!
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by LoverBwoy(m): 3:39am On Dec 14, 2006
Duke is the saint as it is

Big B1, what will you do if IBB fail to get the votes?
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by lewa(m): 9:01am On Dec 14, 2006
if you think IBB is corrupt and a murderer, please point out the saint"
If IBB is a sinner or a killer as you portray him to be, then show us or point to us who is the Saint in this present state of our national democracy. Point out or name who you think is going to fit in for the 2007 presidential seat. Just a simple question.
Utomi is neither a thief or a killer!It's good for one to do research before exposing their ineptitude on the www.
The polity might not accept Utomi but he;s cleaner than your pricipal, Also Ebitu Ukiwe is another gentleman!
However for some verbosity and fatousness has rather unfortunately being their calling!
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Bolarge(m): 10:36am On Dec 14, 2006
@lewa
My guy chop knuckle. cool
U too much.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Afam(m): 1:03pm On Dec 14, 2006
So, is IBB going to support Yaradua or Gasau since he claimed to have promised the 2 his support?

Or, am I missing something here, promising 2 people of his support even on the same target seems improper or cunning to me.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by ono(m): 2:28pm On Dec 14, 2006
Afam:

So, is IBB going to support Yaradua or Gasau since he claimed to have promised the 2 his support?

Or, am I missing something here, promising 2 people of his support even on the same target seems improper or cunning to me.

It's all part of the game plan. Throw in the spanners when it matters most and spoil the works, while you sit and watch as events unfolds. Then you strike when it's obvious that your detractors are confused!
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 4:26pm On Dec 14, 2006
Simmer down Folks; there is no need to be paranoid and definitely no need to display an affront behavior towards one another. Let's embrace the quality of being worthy of esteem.

At the right time a felicitous party will be elected as the next Nigerian president and we will all jubilate together as one.

I am confident that the great people of Nigeria will make the right choice.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by olutomiwa(m): 4:44pm On Dec 14, 2006
the CHICKEN finally,cunningly and stylishly CHICKENED out.I call it STEP ASIDE PART 2. ;Dha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by segoye2(m): 8:33pm On Dec 15, 2006
@ Lewa,

I thought I'd pop my head in once and a while, lurk where appropriate, and speak up when I think I have something to contribute.

You mean Utomi and Ebite Ukiwe are real saints? Can you please share you personnal expirience with this saints, how they got their money and atleast the few you know about them?

This group of Saints are unpopular figures thats why you thought they are saint. Is Andy Uba not as gentle as Ebite? I know you have given up all for your anti-IBB campaign, And I know how hard it could be to take a retreat but is not too late yet, you can renouce all and follow the old path.

The only person that can audit this present government by mid next year is IBB. Because his a straight forward man and fears no one. The greatest mistake our federation will make is entrusting the government in the hands of OBJ's babies.

To get a balance check mate, we really need IBB.

Back to the point; Please name your saints!!!

Don't get me started about what I thought about IBB or You'll never get me to shut up!

God save NIGERIA

SEGOYE2
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 9:12pm On Dec 15, 2006
@ segoye2

No need to waste your time.
Most of these folks can't even come home; they get their political information through Nigeriaworld.com, which is fine. But don't come here acting like you're somebody, talking rubbish.

They can't do nothing, but make impotent noise from far away.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by BigB11(m): 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2006
Posted by SEGOYE2

The only person that can audit this present government by mid next year is IBB. Because he's a straight forward man and fears no one. The greatest mistake our federation will make is entrusting the government in the hands of OBJ's babies

Excellent point.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by Mariory(m): 9:47pm On Dec 15, 2006
segoye2:

*** Deleated all the other irrelevant noise ***

To get a balance check mate, we really need IBB.

No you mean you need IBB. You can have him. Nigeria wishes the both of you many seconds of happiness together.
Re: Why Ibb Stepped Aside For Now by lewa(m): 10:19pm On Dec 15, 2006

Most of these folks can't even come home; they get their political information through Nigeriaworld.com, which is fine. But don't come here acting like you're somebody, talking rubbish.
They can't do nothing, but make impotent noise from far away.[/quote

You know that we all can see (ie guests and users) of this forum your true self!Remember i have told you who you really are!Keep posting you might discover yourself one day and that little imp of your bro-he too might say something intelligent for once grin grin, cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Protests Over Kalu’s Detention. / Why I Went To Okija Shrine With Bible, By Ngige / Ebonyi Communal Clash Claims More Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.