Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,188 members, 7,867,451 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 04:19 PM

Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port (14498 Views)

NAFDAC Intercepts 33 Containers Of Tramadol, Talks Tough On Drug Abuse / Customs Impound Smuggled Goods Worth N607 Million (photos) / Customs Impound Smuggled Poultry Products Worth Over N268m In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port by nastyesco(m): 8:04am On Aug 21, 2016
luvinhubby:

And you ban what you cannot produce a quarter (1/4) of your local need.
It's not a ban...it'd simply a case of confiscating goods that were falsely declared in other to short change the Govt and avoid appropriate tax payment. Remember this does not assure that the importer will sell it at a reduced price in the market. This is how it should be done...kudos to NCS for this
Re: Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port by murmee: 9:09am On Aug 21, 2016
The big question is what happens to those impounded or seized bags of rice. I know for certain that they are not destroyed (buried) like they do to imported frozen chickens or poultries. So what happens to them? Can someone please tell us?
Re: Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port by MrCounselor: 9:21am On Aug 21, 2016
bashydemy1:
Not sure you read the news before commenting, According to the write ups the FG did not ban the importation of rice but the importer indicated in his/her papers that it's yeast and not rice. My question is why will someone import rice and claim it to be yeast? it's the same way they will import guns and claim it's something else.
@bolded you got me there
@redded, lol, you are wrong...
@browned, thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port by nike4love: 3:01pm On Aug 21, 2016
8BitGee:

You may not understand, but I'll tell you anyway. Nigeria/Nigerian importers spend over $2.4bn importing rice. Imagine what $2.4bn will do to our economy, to the economies of Kebbi, Ebonyi, Ekiti, Anambra and other rice states. Think!

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/187406-nigeria-spends-2-4bn-on-rice-importation-in-3-years-emefiele.html

And by doing all these the importers will inject there money in these state u mentioned?
My friend there re right ways things re done,it doesn't make any sense if the government will ban all these goods without putting some measures that will enable the farmers produce what can be a enough for the country......nigeria is a big country nd making such cruel policies will only add to the suffering of her citizens......
Eg an imported rice use to be 7'k nd 8'k,nigerian rice stood at 5'k now the now it 14k can't afford a nigerian rice nd the imported ones is 20 nd 21K.....
Imagine without the imported ones naija rice will clock 20K,is that hw to build a country?
Re: Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port by bashydemy1: 10:39pm On Aug 21, 2016
MrCounselor:

@bolded you got me there
@redded, lol, you are wrong...
@browned, thumbs up.

@The red not sure am, wrong, When did the FG ban the importation of rice?
Re: Customs Impound 31 Containers Of Rice At Lagos Port by thedarkside: 12:23am On Aug 22, 2016
Jediel1:
Omo 40bags, d owner go wan die

omo...you strange,,,,not 40bags,,,,40,000bags..........

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASP, Several Others Killed As Suspected Kidnappers Strike In Kogi / Ekiti Man To Die By Hanging For Killing Wife’s Accused Lover / Student Hospitalized After Outing With Facebook Friend...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.