Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,585 members, 7,837,212 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology (2025 Views)

11 Reasons Why Your Blog Isn’t Making Money And What To Do About It / The Car Made By A Student Of John Bosco Institute Of Technology Ondo (Video) / Let's Start Getting Excited About Robots Taking Our Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 9:57pm On Aug 21, 2016

Take a walk back in history to when technology was not as it is now. For example in the year 1820, a person could expect to live less than 35 years, 94% of the global population lived in extreme poverty, and less that 20% of the population was literate.

Today, human life expectancy is over 70 years, less that 10% of the global population lives in extreme poverty, and over 80% of people are literate. These improvements are due mainly to advances in technology, beginning in the industrial age and continuing today in the information age.

There are many exciting new technologies that will continue to transform the world and improve human welfare. Here are eleven of them.

1. Self-Driving Cars

Self-driving cars exist today and are safer than human-driven cars in most driving conditions. Over the next 3-5 years, they’ll get even safer, and will begin to go mainstream.

2. Clean Energy

Attempts to fight climate change by reducing the demand for energy haven’t worked. Fortunately, scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs have been working hard on the supply side to make clean energy convenient and cost-effective.

3. Virtual and Augmented Reality

Computer processors only recently became fast enough to power comfortable and convincing virtual and augmented reality experiences. Companies like Facebook, Google, Apple, and Microsoft are investing billions of dollars to make VR and AR more immersive, comfortable, and affordable.

4. Drones and Flying Cars

GPS started out as a military technology but is now used to hail taxis, get mapping directions, and hunt Pokemon. Likewise, drones started out as a military technology but are increasingly being used for a wide range of consumer and commercial applications.

5. Artificial Intelligence

Artificial intelligence has made rapid advances in the last decade, due to new algorithms and massive increases in data collection and computing power.

6. Pocket Supercomputers for Everyone

By 2020, 80% of adults on earth will have an internet-connected smartphone. An iPhone 6 has about 2 billion transistors, roughly 625 times more transistors than a 1995 Intel Pentium computer. Today’s smartphones are what used to be considered supercomputers.

7. Cryptocurrencies and Blockchains

Protocols are the plumbing of the internet. Most of the protocols we use today were developed decades ago by academia and government. Since then, protocol development mostly stopped as energy shifted to developing proprietary systems like social networks and messaging apps. Cryptocurrency and blockchain technologies are changing this by providing a new business model for internet protocols. This year alone, hundreds of millions of dollars were raised for a broad range of innovative blockchain-based protocols.

8. High-Quality Online Education

While college tuition skyrockets, anyone with a smartphone can study almost any topic online, accessing educational content that is mostly free and increasingly high-quality.

9. Better Food through Science

cont readn>>>http://smartgeek.com.ng/2016/08/19/11-reasons-excited-future-technology/
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by rishies(m): 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2016
Wouldn't life be better

Can't wait -NO MORE-
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by rishies(m): 10:24pm On Aug 22, 2016
BTW

WHY HAS THIS THREAD NOT GOTTEN TO FRONT PAGE
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by rishies(m): 10:24pm On Aug 22, 2016
BTW

WHY HAS THIS THREAD NOT GOTTEN TO FRONT PAGE
ALREADY
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by power900: 5:38pm On Sep 16, 2016
nice, although it frightens me knowing that one day my great grand kids will also look back to this age and shake their heads too......maybe then we have people building homes in clouds I guess
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by HCpaul(m): 10:11pm On Sep 17, 2016
power900:
nice, although it frightens me knowing that one day my great grand kids will also look back to this age and shake their heads too......maybe then we have people building homes in clouds I guess

There would have been artificial world by then.

It is a sacrifice to be a scientist but a priviledge to contribute to it.

How I wish I can re-live within the next 10-20 centuries...
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 5:32pm On Oct 08, 2016
cool
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 1:00pm On Nov 22, 2016
You should know!
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 6:58pm On Nov 23, 2016
Awesoe
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 9:28am On Nov 24, 2016
MUST READ!
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 12:35pm On Nov 30, 2016
MUST READ!!
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2016
MUST READ!!MUST READ!!MUST READ!!
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by Lordsurh: 1:02pm On Jan 04, 2017
amazing
Re: 11 Reasons To Be Excited About The Future Of Technology by TajRundle: 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
The use of technology in the workplace is growing rapidly, especially with new innovations like cloud computing, at the same level, you can visit tommy-studio.com to find best fast foods. This has created a need for more skilled workers who can handle these problems. The labor market is changing rapidly as well.

(1) (Reply)

Teracopy Pro 3 Serial Key / An Igbo Boy Build A Toy Keke Napepe / I Agree The Earth Is Round but...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.