Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? (6980 Views)

Cadbury Nigeria Plc - Financial Statements / Cadbury Plc, Akintola William And Union Registrar Hammered By Sec / Bunmi Oni Killed Cadbury (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2006
Most of us know Mr. Bunmi Oni to be a role model in the society. I have been to programmes where he is a guest speaker and was always thrilled bu his achievements.

Last month, a scandal broke out in Cadbury that the MD and maybe another person has been involved in overstating Cadbury's account for some years now.

The report of the of the investigation came out yesterday and it was a BIG shock to discover that there had been overstatements of between 13 - 15b!

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=65601

Still trying to figure out why such a man would have been involved in this. What could have been the motive for this?

With the way things are, can we still trust anybody in this nation?

This is just so sad. cry cry cry cry
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by adunnilaby(f): 1:55pm On Dec 13, 2006
i never seize to wonder ,  bunmi Oni a successful business man, motivational speaker and what have u. Whom many people look up to as mentor.
it shows the extent to which corruption has eaten deep into the heart of MAN.
its only God that can be trusted.
I pray God will continue to expose this corrupt individuals in our society.
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 6:22pm On Dec 13, 2006
me think theres somthin we don't kno & his silence is not helpin issues
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by TeeHay(m): 9:03pm On Dec 13, 2006
I really wonder what he may have to say?!
Recall that the audit was carried out by Independent Auditors (PWC) who have their Integrity at stake.
You can only rightfully fight back (respond etc, ) when u know your hands are clean!!
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:59am On Dec 14, 2006
Still trying to figure out why such a man would have been involved in this. What could have been the motive for this?

Erm Greed!

I think people at Akintola Delliote too should be investigated, it seems to have been going on for years now
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 9:37am On Dec 14, 2006
I think it has been on for about 3 to 5 years. yeah Akintola pple should take the knock as well.
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by babyboy2(m): 1:35pm On Dec 14, 2006
i am in a state of shock. I thought he was one of the best and bright men in nigeria business industry. shocked
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by anon101(f): 2:26pm On Dec 14, 2006
who is bunmi oni?
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by kitaun(m): 2:30pm On Dec 14, 2006
Thats the problem we all seem to have; forgetting we are all mere mortals and we are fallible, we tend to view these personalities in a larger-than-life perspective! but is there not the slightest measure of corruption in our bloods?
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by freelance(m): 5:56pm On Dec 14, 2006
I am really surprised myself. He was named the most respected CEO cool of the year by PWC and also Cadbury grin was named the most respected Company as well. So i don't just understand why?
Its really sad cry he had to leave in such a manner.
But is there a problem with Nigerian Managers or CEO's
First it was Festus Odumegwu leaving Nigerian Breweries  angry
Second Bunmi Oni Leaving Cadbury grin
Am sure most of those multinationals would prefer there own people managing the affairs of their company now. wink smiley
Anyway,its all good. smiley

Godspeed!
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by babake81(m): 1:10am On Dec 15, 2006
to think that such an innocent-looking chap could be involved in such a scam, ?

looks sure could be deceptive!!! I want to believe that there's more to this case than meets the eyes!

only time will tell, i'm waiting on the edge of my seat
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:22am On Dec 15, 2006
Am sure most of those multinationals would prefer there own people managing the affairs of their company now.

Since they increased their shares to over 50% that's what they've been looking for. when people have a reputation its really hard getting past that unfortunately
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by kitaun(m): 12:28pm On Dec 15, 2006
Loverbwoy, U can say that a million times over!
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 3:30pm On Dec 15, 2006
But if there has been no crack in the wall, Mr. lizard won't enter o.

So if the Oyinbos want to make their own head of companies, why should we allow ourselves to be caught in the wrong act that they can exploit?
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by kitaun(m): 5:35pm On Dec 15, 2006
Bola, loverbwoy was as right as u are/were cos even as humans we are the architect of our fortune or misfortune, am sure u are familiar with this saying - "someone intended to be burnt/killed that goes rubbing petrol on his body"
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 2:04pm On Dec 18, 2006
na so my brother. but will ther be any prosecution?
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by kitaun(m): 2:16pm On Dec 18, 2006
He is a Nigerian and u know in Naija 'anything can happen'
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2006
Let's just wait and see what happens. lipsrsealed
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:10pm On Dec 18, 2006
THE Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) is planning to carry out an independent investigation of alleged overstatement in the accounts of Cadbury Nigeria Plc following which the Managing Director, Mr. Bunmi Oni and the Finance Director, Mr. Ayo Kadiri, were sacked.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article04
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by ibkn(m): 10:42am On Dec 20, 2006
the allegations levelled against mr oni is quite shocking.
what is more shocking is the fact that cadbury schweppes replaced him with an oyinbo man. is it that there are no nigerians who can manage a company as large has cadbury or what. we should know that nigeria is the country that produced dangote as well as adenuga. well coupled with the knowlegde that odimegwu has left nigerian brewries i think its time our stock exchange sits up in its duties[ innstead of creating a so called cheabol to swindle nigerians.]. should some companies becuase of the heavy foreign investment in it should it be run by the oyinbo? what happened to the indigenization policy? nigerians should protest all these trends before it becomes to late.
mr oni's exit is it part of a grand design or did he really over state the account? akintola deloitte and touche? what happened to them? is this crisis akin to the enron and the worldcom crisis?
we should ask our selves these ?s if we know whats good for nigerians. remember that an oyinbo man will not be to concerned bout nigeria apart from his bottomline.
its a disgrace mot only to mr oni but to the whole of corporate nigeria. also i think this is a major slur to all nigerians. to the white if the mostrespected ceo in the country if he can be accused of fraud can we then trust the average citizen? is the country trust worthy?
to mr oni his silence serves as his defence but i think he has to speak to all of us who looked up to him as a role model
ciao

ramblings of a disillusioned youth.
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by joshO: 11:47am On Dec 20, 2006
White or black, Bunmi Oni has been found culpable, and the stock exchange has nothing to do with it. Besides, it's not for them to determine who is appointed as CEO of a company.

Rather than be overtaken by the race card, our leading business minds should start enforcing corporate governance and adhere to strict financial reporting standards. The onus is on them and I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories. Enough of excuses.

This is symptomic of the general ethical malais in our society. We should all work towards a new order of ethics and transparency in all that we do, corporate, goverment and all.
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by ibkn(m): 2:10pm On Dec 20, 2006
josho
in all honesty u ave a point
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by onyx79(m): 5:07pm On Dec 20, 2006
THIS REMINDS ME OF THE ENRON CASE IN THE USA. Well, i guess we still have to get more details of what really went down, especially the results of the enquiry by ICAN on the culpability of its members or otherwise. Lets wait and see,
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:46pm On Dec 20, 2006
nigerians should protest all these trends before it becomes to late.

the only way we can protest is to do the right thing at the right time or even all the time. lets try to be cleaner that clean so we wouldnt be found wanting. If you dont do anything wrong nobody will ever have an upper hand over you!

1+1 should always be 2 !
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by niyooo(m): 7:36pm On Dec 20, 2006
I was really shocked when i heard/read the news. This was a guy that had everything going for him, respect amongst his peers and the community, an epitome of what younger ones aspired to be and all that and somehow it had to end this way!!! I guess someday the truth of the whole matter will be known but I believe something just aint right at Akintola Williams, yesterday it was Afribank and today it's Cadbury. I wonder which company will be next. It just goes to show that we have to take Corporate Governance issues more seriously in this country after the debacle of Lever Brothers. May God help us poor investors who take our hard earned money and invest in the stock of these companies based on whatever figures they churn out in their financial statements and the assurances given by the auditors.
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by kitaun(m): 12:54am On Dec 21, 2006
The simple lesson is~ trust no one, cause there is none infallible!! Role model ko toitet roll ni, i bet this will trigger investigations into major coys and u guys will be awestruck at the no of so-called respected CEOS to be hounded!!
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 1:54pm On Dec 21, 2006
This reminds me of the Bank Consolidations. Learnt so many underhand tactica were employed by these banks to meet with the set target, yet the issues were overlooked.

This is where the problem lies. When issues like these are overlooked, others are given the confidence that they can do anything they like. If Cadbury had not being taken over by the Oyinbos, I am sure we would NEVER had found this out.

Naija style of doing things is making us a BIG ridicule in the comity of Nations cry
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by kitaun(m): 2:19pm On Dec 21, 2006
Bolaoni, exactly my point too!! By the way no be your uncle?? I no wan hear story o, make u pass small reach my side o!
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by bolaoni(m): 8:06am On Dec 22, 2006
u no serious! I don disown am since. grin
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by dollyp1cute(f): 2:24am On May 12, 2007
xtycod:

Bunmi Oni is an example of the typical so-called Yoruba intelligentsia. Like rat, they bite and soot at the same time. Born pretenders and hypocrites. Another similar example is Bernard Longe former CEO of First Bank

What has Yoruba got to do with it, nip that statement in the bud one time, dishonesty runs across all tribe and races, end of.
Re: Cadbury Account Overstatement Scandal: Bunmi Oni Why? by feelgood(m): 6:34pm On May 13, 2007
Bernard Longe is not yoruba. He is Edo. Also xty, ur post is very uncharitable.

(1) (Reply)

Shareholders Urged To Buy Oando Stock / MMM Pays / Taobao Pinduoduo 1688 Docking, And Also Docking RMB Exchange Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.