Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,297 members, 7,811,889 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Nigerian Consulate In Nyc - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Consulate In Nyc (1018 Views)

South Africa Shuts Lagos Consulate / Nigerian Consulate In NY To Start Charging $2.50 Per Min To Call Them / Hotels Closest To The Nigerian Consulate In New York (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Consulate In Nyc by LaNiger(m): 8:54pm On Sep 29, 2009
I visited the Nigerian consulate in NYC today to get a new passport, and to my surprise it was a rare experience in efficiency.

I would rate the overall experience a B+.  It could easily have been an a A+, but lack of directions and instructions led to the overall B+ rating.

Things needed to process the passport, confirmation of payment, copy of biometric data page, $20 money order and a completed form.    Unfortunately, if you not have these things you will have to go across the street to print out the necessary forms and make copies.  Which begs the question, why they don't put all this information on the website.

After getting your information reviewed, it is stamped and you are directed to the 12th floor for further processing.  There is no sign telling you which rooms to go into and you find yourself at the mercy of fellow Nigerians waiting to get their passports processed.  Your photo will be taken and your fingerprints will be scanned.   The entire process took about an hour and thirty minutes and is quite efficient.

I finished around lunch and to my surprise, I discovered that there is a Nigerian restaurant on the ground floor of the consulate.  It was quite refreshing to see Nigerian food in the restaurant,; Amala, Ogbono, Jollof rice, Fried Rice, Fried Fish and pounded yam.  Speaking with employees of the consulate, I was informed that the current Consular General has implemented a number of reforms and the restaurant was his idea.  The line to place your order was quite long and I noticed that most of the people on the line were from the UN office around the corner and from other foreign missions.  They said the Nigerian consulate is the only African consulate with an ethic restaurant on its premises.

I would like to give kudos to the Nigerian Consular General Anwal Ibrahim and his staff for the wonderful job they are doing.
Re: Nigerian Consulate In Nyc by 2Legit2Qui: 8:58pm On Sep 29, 2009
If its not good, you all talk- if it is good, you still talk - Naija rotten mentality - you are too used to bad things so much more that anything ordinary becomes new to you.
Re: Nigerian Consulate In Nyc by blackspade(m): 12:02am On Sep 30, 2009
That's good, I'm happy that you had a good experience there. The restaurant sounds really interesting!! grin

(1) (Reply)

Travel Experience Thru Mm International And Both Departure And Arrival / Future Cities-see What The Cities Of The Future Will Look Like. / A Nairalanders Visa Application To The French Embassy In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.