Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,098 members, 7,852,729 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 03:16 AM

Why Nigeria Is Better Than American - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Is Better Than American (4822 Views)

Why Nigeria Must Kick France Out Of West Africa. / Anambra Election Will Hold If Nigeria Is Restructured Before October 1 - Kanu / Xenophobic Attacks: Why Nigeria Won't Retaliate Now - Gbajabiamila (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mrrights: 9:46pm On Aug 25, 2016
MPSA:

No one is ""worshiping america"" here, the truth is:"Nigeria isn't better than america, obvious the heading of the topic it has no meaning to normal people". grin
sorry bro, no body is doubting the fact that USA maybe better in some ways, but saying Nigeria is not better in other ways can only come from an ignorant person. No insult intended. The fact that you are even repeating it without realizing how unreasonable you sound amazes me

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mrrights: 9:48pm On Aug 25, 2016
NaijainTexas:
OP, I can help. I live in the States and although I do agree America has more privileges than Nigeria, there are a host of things where Naija takes the gold.
-Culture. Here in the US, there is a lack of culture amongst groups of native Americans in the sense of tradition. Most of its culture/tradition are brought by immigrants from all over the world that try to emulate their traditions here. For instance, even when we try, traditional weddings aren't even as authentic as when we're in Naija. The longer we stay in the US, the more our cultures fade off. I don't know the last time I have seen my Yoruba friends bow to greet their elders as I was used to in Naija. Even children talk back and disrespect their elders here.
-Less fresh food - America is all about mass producing food, so if they have to make fake food to create more of it they will. A lot of foods here have preservatives, even the animals have been genetically modified to produce more of it. This causes obesity and increases in illness such as cancer. Fresher food costs way more money, so most just stick to cheaper, more convenient options. Most things here are processed and packaged. At least in Naija, the fish, goat, chicken, cow etc were killed just recently and I am getting fresh meat. Here, do I know when this chicken was killed, or if it died from something else? All I know is is costs $5.99 and it tastes very..different than fresh meat like in Naija. I also miss a lot of the tropical fruits. Most of your favorites you cannot get here.
-Racism due to skin color - At least in Naija, i can expect some sort of tribal discrimination amongst people, but here, you can expect that, racial, class, gender, age...etc discrimination. I dont usually fear not getting considered for a job in Naija because I am black. I had to hurry and get rid of my accent when I was younger because I was getting insulted by children and judged by adults. I know we complain about cops in Naija stopping and asking for money, but here in the States, if you're black and have been stopped by cops, be careful of making sudden movements. Some people will be stopped for traffic violation but end up dead at the end of the confrontation. A lot of times, the officer isn't even held accountable for it. Read up on what has been happening here. That little harassment by the police on the Lekki roundabout doesn't seem so bad now does it?
-Black men treat their black women better/respect them more than in America. Only here will you have a fellow black man compare you to another race and bash you. There's a trust and tension between Black American men and women
-Richness of land. - The soil, the nature, the raw products that are in Nigeria...chai, should make our country the world's richest. For some reason though, we look to other countries to supply us with things. It is a shame. Shea butter easily made one the streets in its purest form in Naija costs SO MUCH here. Why do you think whites, Asians and Lebanese etc are flocking there? We need to wise up and harness our raw goods for export. Also, our people are VERY skilled, talented and creative, other races are hip to this and are making money off Naija.
-Education - Google this, "Nigerians most educated in the US" - For YEARS this has been the case. Even in my city of Houston. Nigerians, everywhere they go value education so much because they know it is the key to success. I think the somewhat spoiled nature of Americans, education can be taken for granted. Do you know how shocked I was when I came here and saw students NOT wanting to go to school, skipping school, rejecting college etc and understand school until college here is FREE!!! Nigerians value education and its benefits have proven itself here in the States. Nigeria inspires you to hustle, work hard and never give up despite your circumstances.
- The cold cold Winters - i can't speak for everyone else, but let me tell you, winter cold feels miserable. A lot of people have learned to deal with it, but when we moved here, it was difficult and I still haven't gotten used to it. The cold is bitingly painful even if you're bundled up. It affects travel (when it snows) and people don't like being social. I cannot stand the cold and I appreciate Naija for not having it.
-Expense of beauty/upkeep - For women especially, getting your hair done, makeup, clothes are FAR more expensive here. When I was recently in Naija in June, I paid the equivalent of $40 to do senegalese twists and that was even with me giving tip! They felt so badly asking me to pay N7k. DO you know the same style, and not even half as good here would cost upward of $250-$300. God forbid. I am so serious though. Let's not even get on the costs of fabric. There are so many skilled tailors to make custom clothing in Nigeria, thats why' so many men and women wear traditional wear. Here, mschew, their skill is not even up to par and they will charge you so much for sewing clothes.
-Work/Life Balance - Truly, a big thing that we deal with here in the States is the culture of work work work. You can be making good money, but you work ALL the time and have little time to enjoy your home and possessions. Google and read up on the 'culture of work in America'. Most other countries have more holidays, more paid time off, more leisure. Yes you see on social media what seems like everyone is enjoying, but everyone is working working non-stop despite your class. The culture here is to go to school, get a job and work work work for someone else and retire.
These are just a few, if you need more I can think up some. Just that I need to get some sleep now so I can wake up and go to work work work for someone else where they likely pay me less than my white counterparts, only because I'm black, just so I can afford to pay all these taxes and buy processed food that will make me sick in a few years.
Lol, but let's keep it real, despite all I've listed here, there are lots of advantages, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Hope this helps with your assignment.
thanks alot. Your submission is helpful

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mikolo80: 5:34am On Aug 26, 2016
NaijainTexas:
OP, I can help. I live in the States and although I do agree America has more privileges than Nigeria, there are a host of things where Naija takes the gold.

-Culture. Here in the US, there is a lack of culture amongst groups of native Americans in the sense of tradition. Most of its culture/tradition are brought by immigrants from all over the world that try to emulate their traditions here. For instance, even when we try, traditional weddings aren't even as authentic as when we're in Naija. The longer we stay in the US, the more our cultures fade off. I don't know the last time I have seen my Yoruba friends bow to greet their elders as I was used to in Naija. Even children talk back and disrespect their elders here.
[quote ]

They respect whatever has consequences not random elders who have run their country aground and runaway to spoil anoda land.
Theirs is a culture of success and achievement not age or hugabuga dancing

-Less fresh food - America is all about mass producing food, so if they have to make fake food to create more of it they will. A lot of foods here have preservatives, even the animals have been genetically modified to produce more of it. This causes obesity and increases in illness such as cancer. Fresher food costs way more money, so most just stick to cheaper, more convenient options. Most things here are processed and packaged. At least in Naija, the fish, goat, chicken, cow etc were killed just recently and I am getting fresh meat. Here, do I know when this chicken was killed, or if it died from something else? All I know is is costs $5.99 and it tastes very..different than fresh meat like in Naija. I also miss a lot of the tropical fruits. Most of your favorites you cannot get here.
[quote ]

Na you no wan fresh food or not willing to pay for it
[/quote]
-Racism due to skin color - At least in Naija, i can expect some sort of tribal discrimination amongst people, but here, you can expect that, racial, class, gender, age...etc discrimination. I dont usually fear not getting considered for a job in Naija because I am black. I had to hurry and get rid of my accent when I was younger because I was getting insulted by children and judged by adults. I know we complain about cops in Naija stopping and asking for money, but here in the States, if you're black and have been stopped by cops, be careful of making sudden movements. Some people will be stopped for traffic violation but end up dead at the end of the confrontation. A lot of times, the officer isn't even held accountable for it. Read up on what has been happening here. That little harassment by the police on the Lekki roundabout doesn't seem so bad now does it?
[quote ]

Their racism is still better than our religionism
[/quote]
-Black men treat their black women better/respect them more than in America. Only here will you have a fellow black man compare you to another race and bash you. There's a trust and tension between Black American men and women
[quote ]

Our ghetto men also treat our ghetto women bad
[/quote]
-Richness of land. - The soil, the nature, the raw products that are in Nigeria...chai, should make our country the world's richest. For some reason though, we look to other countries to supply us with things. It is a shame. Shea butter easily made one the streets in its purest form in Naija costs SO MUCH here. Why do you think whites, Asians and Lebanese etc are flocking there? We need to wise up and harness our raw goods for export. Also, our people are VERY skilled, talented and creative, other races are hip to this and are making money off Naija.
[quote ]

Na laziness de worry us
Remember the parable of the talents
[/quote]
-Education - Google this, "Nigerians most educated in the US" - For YEARS this has been the case. Even in my city of Houston. Nigerians, everywhere they go value education so much because they know it is the key to success. I think the somewhat spoiled nature of Americans, education can be taken for granted. Do you know how shocked I was when I came here and saw students NOT wanting to go to school, skipping school, rejecting college etc and understand school until college here is FREE!!! Nigerians value education and its benefits have proven itself here in the States. Nigeria inspires you to hustle, work hard and never give up despite your circumstances.
[quote ]

Yet were not the most successful or wealthy
[/quote]
- The cold cold Winters - i can't speak for everyone else, but let me tell you, winter cold feels miserable. A lot of people have learned to deal with it, but when we moved here, it was difficult and I still haven't gotten used to it. The cold is bitingly painful even if you're bundled up. It affects travel (when it snows) and people don't like being social. I cannot stand the cold and I appreciate Naija for not having it.
[quote ]

Get hot water bottles or electric jacket
[/quote]
-Expense of beauty/upkeep - For women especially, getting your hair done, makeup, clothes are FAR more expensive here. When I was recently in Naija in June, I paid the equivalent of $40 to do senegalese twists and that was even with me giving tip! They felt so badly asking me to pay N7k. DO you know the same style, and not even half as good here would cost upward of $250-$300. God forbid. I am so serious though. Let's not even get on the costs of fabric. There are so many skilled tailors to make custom clothing in Nigeria, thats why' so many men and women wear traditional wear. Here, mschew, their skill is not even up to par and they will charge you so much for sewing clothes.
[quote ]

No comment
[/quote]
-Work/Life Balance - Truly, a big thing that we deal with here in the States is the culture of work work work. You can be making good money, but you work ALL the time and have little time to enjoy your home and possessions. Google and read up on the 'culture of work in America'. Most other countries have more holidays, more paid time off, more leisure. Yes you see on social media what seems like everyone is enjoying, but everyone is working working non-stop despite your class. The culture here is to go to school, get a job and work work work for someone else and retire.
[quote ]

Na you wan work to keep up with the Joneses
[/quote]

These are just a few, if you need more I can think up some. Just that I need to get some sleep now so I can wake up and go to work work work for someone else where they likely pay me less than my white counterparts, only because I'm black, just so I can afford to pay all these taxes and buy processed food that will make me sick in a few years.

Lol, but let's keep it real, despite all I've listed here, there are lots of advantages, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Hope this helps with your assignment.
[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by paparazzi1987(m): 5:55am On Aug 26, 2016
In Nigeria; Muslim festivals like Ileya and christmas is always sweet and full of chicken, meat, parry on the street, street jams,etc.
In Canada/USA: you cannot do or have these.

In Nigeria, you can buy pepper soup or suya from the road side or joint
In Canada/USA, you cant

In Nigeria you can enter beer joint or store to get alomo,alcohol,etc
In USa/canada, you cannot sell alchol if you dont have the license, and you must be above 18year before you can buy.
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by NaijainTexas: 6:44am On Aug 26, 2016
[quote author=mikolo80 post=48807895][/quote]

Maam.. you don't have to agree with my points, just like I don't agree (or care) about your opinions.

What I'm trying to do is stick to the topic and help the OP who requested some aid with her assignment.

You have a good day, and stop being bitter.

Cheers.
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mrrights: 8:17pm On Aug 26, 2016
angry
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by WebSurfer(m): 10:34pm On Aug 26, 2016
but wait oo, why are you still there?

NaijainTexas:

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mikolo80: 12:31am On Aug 27, 2016
NaijainTexas:

Maam.. you don't have to agree with my points, just like I don't agree (or care) about your opinions.

What I'm trying to do is stick to the topic and help the OP who requested some aid with her assignment.

You have a good day, and stop being bitter.

Cheers.
read my replies
They were very Unbitter
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by Blue3k(m): 1:26am On Aug 27, 2016
Since I have experience with both societies I will give what aspects I like better.

1. I like the laid back lifestyle. People here have sense of humor.

2. extended family system. People and commuity have each other back. In usa people look to welfare state.

3. I like how there's not too much taxation. No property taxes. Lower tax in general.

4. Not as letigious

5. College don't pay out of state fee. You can school at Federal university in any state without extra fee.
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by NaijainTexas: 10:21am On Aug 27, 2016
WebSurfer:
but wait oo, why are you still there?

Because I choose to and I have a good job. I go back and forth between Naija and US. Right now, with $1= N400+, should it even be a wonder?

I'm making money here and taking it back home.

Besides, regardless of its negatives (every country has negatives), being in the US has much less frustrations than day to day life in Nigeria.

Hope this answers your question.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by Mrsbennye: 10:36am On Aug 27, 2016
Big lie
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by WebSurfer(m): 10:36am On Aug 27, 2016
NaijainTexas:

Because I choose to and I have a good job. I go back and forth between Naija and US. Right now, with $1= N400+, should it even be a wonder?

I'm making money here and taking it back home.

Besides, regardless of its negatives (every country has negatives), being in the US has much less frustrations than day to day life in Nigeria.

Hope this answers your question.

This answers my question but I got concerned when you made refference to the health aspect, please don't involve in foods that will harm you in the latter, it's not wise to make money and a time comes where you'll be spending it back at your health. Sure you remember that saying "health is wealth". I wish you a great day ahead
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mrrights: 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2016
Hum
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by MPSA(m): 2:33pm On Aug 27, 2016
mrrights:
bro, no vex oo, just keep drinking your garri. Obviously, you live in Hollywood, if not, you would have known how wrong you are. I can bet you that you are very ignorant about Nigeria, not talk of USA.

You are crazy, garri is your beer/ drugs/ something grin, I don't drink that sh*t. Comparing nigeria with america, is like drinking your garri non stop grin, Day and night grin
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by Pidggin(f): 2:35pm On Aug 27, 2016
There were a few things Nigeria was ahead of US with, for example our sense of community but we don't even have this any more, things were very cheap even as at early last year but not anymore. We are not better in any way.
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mensdept: 2:45pm On Aug 27, 2016
I wonder why the stupid teacher that probably was denied visa would ask 100 reasons why Nigeria is better than the U.S.

Should it not have been name 100 good things about Nigeria? I'm sure 90 f those things would be buying suya at the roadside, or using Okada to beat traffic.

Or are you just trying to stir up some motivation for the zoo on Nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by golddust6000(m): 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2016
Ofemmanu1:
1. In Nigeria, you can start a bussiness by displaying your good right infront of your home but, it's a crime in US.
2. In Nigeria, if your wife turned a hoe, you'd send her parking but, in US; she send you out.
You just say the gospel truth, me like.
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by NaijainTexas: 2:57am On Aug 28, 2016
WebSurfer:

This answers my question but I got concerned when you made refference to the health aspect, please don't involve in foods that will harm you in the latter, it's not wise to make money and a time comes where you'll be spending it back at your health. Sure you remember that saying "health is wealth". I wish you a great day ahead

I understand, but what I mean is that the cheaper food in the States are poorly produced, processed, preserved. It's easily accessible to the poor.

As in Nigeria, most food is prepared freshly, even meat and that is not likely to be genetically modified. Ultimately, the classes of people have access to fresher, more organic foods.

In the US, we have to pay top dollar for organic, fresher foods at higher end grocers.

Hope this clears this up.

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mrrights: 2:33am On Aug 31, 2016
NaijainTexas:

I understand, but what I mean is that the cheaper food in the States are poorly produced, processed, preserved. It's easily accessible to the poor.
As in Nigeria, most food is prepared freshly, even meat and that is not likely to be genetically modified. Ultimately, the classes of people have access to fresher, more organic foods.
In the US, we have to pay top dollar for organic, fresher foods at higher end grocers.
Hope this clears this up.
Thank you
sure
Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by hakeem4(m): 3:54am On Aug 15, 2017
mrrights:
Hello people, I need your help. I have an assignment to write at least, 100 reasons why Nigeria is better than United States of America. Although, based on what I know, I have been able to come up with some, but considering the fact that I have not been to America, there are certain comparison that I can't make to determine which one is better. I am therefore compelled to seek your input. I know nairaland is full of intelligent people from all across the country and the world. Your exposure, work and access to certain information may be useful here. Kindly help state some of the ways you think Nigeria is better than US. Thanks

1) Nigerians are more friendly than Americans
2) Nigerias debt is not as high as America's debt
3) when it comes to work in Nigeria, you can control your time. But America will use all your energy
4) people who learnt trade can be easily successful in Nigeria than America
5) Nigeria contributes more soldiers to any world war zone
6) you Can make more money in Nigeria than America, its only that you've responsibilities like settling families
7) no racism in Nigeria, every is treated equally
cool Nigeria doesn't suffer from natural disasters
9) we don't suffer from gangsters fights

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by Okoroawusa: 4:25am On Aug 15, 2017
NaijainTexas:

Ur comment actually touched me.

I took time to read it all

I LOVE NIGERIA.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE IT GREAT.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Is Better Than American by mrrights: 7:11am On Jun 11, 2018
True

(1) (2) (Reply)

Donald Trump Bombshell: Bitter Pills For African Leaders To Swallow! / Check Out This Advanced High tech Military Weapons From Ghana / Lagos APC Rally: Buhari Flops Again, Addresses Tinubu As Governor Of Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.