Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,861 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents (8279 Views)

5 Important Baby Toy Safety Tips / Q2 2017: Power Supply To Nigerian Households Remains Poor – NOIPOLLS / Grenfell Tower, London Fire; One Of The Most Massive Fire Incidents In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Nobody: 7:55am On Aug 25, 2016
2 students die as fire razes their house - News. (Source: https://www.nairaland.com/3308540/2-imo-polytechnic-students-die)

I have written on this subject many times and will continue to do anytime I read this kind of news.

1, Ensure your house has 2 exits (preferably at different directions of the house)

2, Get a fire extinguisher on standby; know how to operate it and teach others.

3, Install a smoke detector in your house.

4, Cultivate the habit of going round your house to check electrical appliances and fittings and ensure non-essential ones are switched off before going to bed.

5, Use professional electricians to fix your electrical fittings. This is not where to apply DIY.

6, Never let any electrician "manage" for you. Fix any issue once and for all.

7, Avoid candle like plague.

8, Discontinue use of any appliance that has electrical fault (eg gas cooker), rather than trying to fix yourself before professional repairer comes.

9, Avoid storing petrol. Never keep fuel in the house. Keep at safe distance in the compound if you must store.

10, Get for every room a metal cutter that can be used to cut that burglary proof in case of emergency.

54 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 25, 2016
How I hate candles and boiling-rings!!!!
RIP to those students.

4, Cultivate the habit of going round your house to check electrical appliances and fittings and ensure non-essential ones are switched off before going to bed
I do this a lot, my folks think I am paranoid. Whatever... undecided

8 Likes

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by misterh(m): 10:12am On Aug 25, 2016
It's sad that the culture of using fire extinguishers isn't ingrained in us, Nigerians.

Not all public buildings even have them.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by NotNairalandi(m): 12:02pm On Aug 25, 2016
Very informative
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by veekid(m): 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2016
Awesome write-up
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by NameChecker: 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2016
Jarus:

1, Ensure your house has 2 exits (preferably at different directions of the house)
3, Install a smoke detector in your house.
10, Get for every room a metal cutter that can be used to cut that burglary proof in case of emergency.

Not applicable in a rented apartment, also metal cutter will turn weapon when the face-me-I-slap-you issue occur.

4 Likes

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2016
so it eventually made FP! .
useful tips tho
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by hujjat(m): 12:07pm On Aug 25, 2016
Ok naw I wan urinate first
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by gist4kidsblog: 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2016
Ok
Do you know stone coated roofing tiles has fireproofed...
For your quality stone coated roofing contact me on 08085310359 we deliver nationwide

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by ayanbaba2(m): 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2016
educative! thumbs up for OP.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by nerdymufasa(m): 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2016
Known tips but worth the reminder...thanks
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by omowolewa: 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2016
Nices tip from Jarus.

Leave enough space between separate buildings and ensure semi-detached flats are well separated with concrete
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by anonimi: 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2016
The biggest tip is for all of us to work towards a more equitable society such that we do not need to put grills on our windows and doors turning our houses into prisons of no escape!
Abi how many houses for obodo oyinbo get am for grill on their windows and doors?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by dragnet: 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2016
No. 10 tho shocked
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Chiefpriest1(m): 12:34pm On Aug 25, 2016
Good. Also, make sure you buy your fire extinguisher from the right place.

I have seen extinguishers that fail (no liquid), at the point they are needed.

I heard buying directly from the FRSC makes more sense.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by ephi123(f): 12:48pm On Aug 25, 2016
Know how to operate your fire extinguisher properly - so very true. Anyone can have a fire extinguisher at home or in the car, but on the day it is really needed, can you use it?

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2016
apply for a course in Health & safety management.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by MrImole: 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2016
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 25, 2016
when looking for apartment, I look out for the one with two exits.
some landlords are just greedy.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 25, 2016
i say get an exit solution incase you live up a storey building
teach members of your household how to turn your bedsheets to a reliable escape rope
keep a hammer capable of removing the security window bars at home

keeping a fire extinguisher remains your reliable option

3 Likes

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by amazingspiderma: 1:48pm On Aug 25, 2016
Educate your entire family or house occupants from time to time. Fire safety should be a culture.

Smoke detector ensure fire is detected at earlier stages thereby reducing the risk of losing life and fire severity.

Most death in fire accidents is from smoke inhalation which renders the victim unconscious.

A house does not need to be completely burnt down before someone dies from inhaling smoke. Even generator have been know for killing people in confinement. The importance of smoke detectors cannot be overemphasized

Smoke makes escaping difficult as it impairs visibility and causes eye irritation during escape.

Ensure alternative escape routes are clear and easy to open at all times.
Cook in well ventilated rooms.
Cooking gas cylinders should be properly close after every use.

Minimize storing combustible waste items that are not useful like cloths and rug as they have the potential to increase available fire severity and fire spread.

It can also increase the amount of smoke and harmful gases released during combustion which will invariably reduce the time required for escape.

8 Likes

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 25, 2016
Quite informative.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Fadamant: 2:16pm On Aug 25, 2016
May God help us all to put these information to good use and be able to remember the tips in case of an outbreak, because knowing these things and staying composed to act right in case of fire are two different things.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Ursino(f): 2:19pm On Aug 25, 2016
Nice one!. thanks a whole lot.

May God keep us from danger.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Benbisco(f): 3:29pm On Aug 25, 2016
NameChecker:

Not applicable in a rented apartment, also metal cutter will turn weapon when the face-me-I-slap-you issue occur.

I think it does not really matter whether the apartment is rented or owned. These items you highlighted can still be done in a rented apartment. Believe me, the landlord will be very glad to know that you saved his entire building from fire outbreak as a result of a very functional smoke detector.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by NameChecker: 3:34pm On Aug 25, 2016
Benbisco:

I think it does not really matter whether the apartment is rented or owned. These items you highlighted can still be done in a rented apartment. Believe me, the landlord will be very glad to know that you saved his entire building from fire outbreak as a result of a very functional smoke detector.

Most rented apartment only have an entrance - A tenant can't change that.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by amazingspiderma: 4:00pm On Aug 25, 2016
NameChecker:

Most rented apartment only have an entrance - A tenant can't change that.
Yes you are right.
However,it is information like this that helps us make better and safer choices in the future.

Knowledge is power.

4 Likes

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by professore(m): 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2016
What if I told u that I like this

MORE

in case of any spark/outbreak of light,switch
off your meter as quick as possible

Incase of any fire outbreak,after switching your meter (if u still can) take your NEPA bill and call the number on it to inform them.

Hope I helped
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by tunde1200(m): 5:01pm On Aug 25, 2016
IS THIS JARUS OF ISLAMIC SECTION THOSE DAYS.

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 25, 2016
Spot on ...
Endeavour to get the Appropriate Fire Extinguisher and alway check it's expiry date.

I think the 1st point is the most important ...

Incase of any Fire outbreak ,save yourself 1st ,don't hustle properties. ..

Proper housekeeping helps to reduce fire outbreak

Keep all flammable well and label faulty appliances or keep them away.
Re: Safety Tips For Households On Fire Incidents by junnyjake(m): 5:32pm On Aug 25, 2016
Nice, as an electrician Ive made it an habit to ensure I follow up on safety, which is the more reason I don't use candles.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Marry A Girl Who Earns Twice Your Salary? / Please My Marriage ! Advice Please / My Parents Are Forcing Me To Get Married.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.