Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,738 members, 7,820,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47684 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Free(f): 1:13am On May 28, 2007
am happy 4 him

when i saw da auditions

i predicted he will WIN and He did

Congratz TimmI grin grin grin grin grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by enisha(m): 5:36am On May 28, 2007
Timi is a blessed boy. His humility and focus have gotten him where he is today. cool
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 5:42am On May 28, 2007
Yu right

Na correct guy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chukky76(m): 7:19am On May 28, 2007
quote I feel she was using sexual appeal for votes. She started off always ladylike in her cocktail dresses and the last few weeks, the dresses got really short, see through and she became too loud and overconfident

Thabs it speaks volumes for the depth and maturity "or lack of" of your mind to spew such an uninformed, childish and downright stupid opinion. i had a lot of respect for your opinions before but u killed it. grow the **** up. i wont even bother trying counter u.

the bottom line is this. having diversity can never be a minus, these are amateurs having a range of options is always the way to go so dont u guys say oma's diversity was bad and that timi had a clearly defined style and so was better. thats bulls**t.

remember that post idols kelly clarkson had her first album a pop rockish effort which did okay but not spectacularly. it was when she went back to the drawing board and was adviced to switch to full rock that she become the star she is today. how many of you can name three tracks on her debut album post idols? if she didnt have diversity she wouldnt have been able to breakaway. no pun intended.

pink was just another britney spears and jessica simpson, singing bubblegum pop until she switched to full rock which has given her the international respect britney and simpson can only dream about.

omawunmi is the kelly clarkson we needed as a first idol. timi would never be able to utilize this opportunity to the depths and levels that oma would have been able to. we talking international endorsements, photo shoots, movie and concert appearances. and lets face the fact, the world is fickle and a crooning, non confident west african male will only engage international attention for that long. if at all. but a curvy, diversely talented and intelligent black queen, the international world would eat her up. they wont be able to get enough of her. we're talking face of africa and miss world fame. and you all know this. whats timi going to do with this opportunity. pose for next months edition of dish magazine, attempt. might even succeed at making a fairly okay album, sell averagely or perhaps even outsell tuface but i guarantee you, he cant even hold nigerias attention for more than two years, how much more the world. the average nigerian cant even stand his crooning type of music and you know this.thats why silver saddih and others that slow sing dont have the recognition they deserve. only paul play has been able to breakthru in that genre and we know on whose back he came riding in.

we needed a kelly clarkson to break internationally, we didnt need a 2 minute of fame ruben studdard . you guys fail to look at the big picture. in the international market theres always room for a female with diverse skills. but do we really need another male crooner, how much more one from africa.

being practical omawunmi should have won if africa was hoping to get any good mileage from that idols thingy.

besides that any body without bias like my friend thabs can see thyat oma was is and will always be a better performer and a better talent than timi. every day of the week and twice on sunday.

timi is a good artist, but is a sad waste of the maiden opportunities that this event would have presented to showcase africa.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 7:38am On May 28, 2007
TIMI IS IT
UP TIMI
UP TIMI
UP TIMI grin grin tongue tongue
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Ifeniyi22(m): 8:06am On May 28, 2007
cabali, u called? wink
would have responded to your call much earlier but i had some issues to attend to that kept me off nairaland.
Identify myself
my name is , grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Ifeniyi22(m): 8:08am On May 28, 2007
happy Timi won.he is the best.reading aziza's post and all the pro Timi post, i realized that all has been said.lets leave sentiments for once as Nigerians
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by utibem(m): 8:43am On May 28, 2007
[size=18pt]I bet 100,000 naira that Timi would win and I am so glad that he has won. Now, I have extra money for Faji[/size]
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tng(f): 8:49am On May 28, 2007
Timi is good but Omawunmi is the total package.Timi just chose songs that fitted his vocal range. And i agree with Nana that he has a diction problem. When they were supposed to make one UNICEF appeal about AIDS, he part of the thing wasnt flowing at all.
Anyway, he has won but i know Omawunmi would be a star. Timi is going to be another Reuben Studdard.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by iyken(m): 9:09am On May 28, 2007
tng:

Timi is good but Omawunmi is the total package.Timi just chose songs that fitted his vocal range. And i agree with Nana that he has a diction problem. When they were supposed to make one UNICEF appeal about AIDS, he part of the thing wasnt flowing at all.
Anyway, he has won but i know Omawunmi would be a star. Timi is going to be another Reuben Studdard.
Bolton goes for songs within his vocals, Alisha,J.Leg,even Mercy Gray. Its about striking the right notes which equivocally TIMI has done.
You do not need to sing through the 7 ambients of notes to win Idols.
Moreover an artist need'nt speak like the queen of england before becoming a star.
Timi was a better choice.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 9:22am On May 28, 2007
Timi just needs a crash program with a finishing school. He'll be OK. I'm surprised at how people still think Omawumi deserved it more than Timi. Omawumi has not been consistent (I guess some will call it versatility), that's why she'll sing Raggae, Rap, Old school and everything together. How many artists in the world can do this and still hit? It's not possible. Timi is consistent with his style, he has sang the same style from start till end. Also, Timi is someone you'll want to listen to again and again. Can't say the same for Omawumi. Just before the show, all their previous performances were played. You should have seen the crowd at planet one. They sang every performance with Timi (All except "Just give me the night" and "Oruka"wink. The only songs that thrilled the crowd from Omawumi were "Ekwe" and "I will survive".
Timi will be fine, I know that.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by sartorius(m): 9:37am On May 28, 2007
congrats timi, but the prize money is too small
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hype: 9:45am On May 28, 2007
Am so glad Timi won. The part i loved most about the final show was when he sang his own song and gave us some nice dancing steps. (that boy can dance) and i loved the way the crowd sang his song along with him when he was declared the winner. As for omawummi she also performed sexily for us and i think she's a good performer. The result was fair cos the best man won. GO TIMI, GO TIMI, GO TIMI, GO GO GO, GO TIMI!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tng(f): 10:15am On May 28, 2007
Moreover an artist need'nt speak like the queen of england before becoming a star.[quote][/quote]
Exactly but at least express your self clearly.All the others were surely not speaking like the Queen of England.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by moondust(m): 10:28am On May 28, 2007
He deserved to win, that homie is really good. though it was obvious from some point
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Aziza(f): 10:37am On May 28, 2007
There are three ways to join Timi’s Fan Club.

1. Send a mail to timisfans-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
2. Send a mail to azizauko@gmail.com
3. Text your email address to 08023117325.

Aziza writing from #1, Timi Avenue, Idols Lane, Timilicious Island
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 10:48am On May 28, 2007
@chukky 76

Never said diversity was not a good thing.  For me, I like a particular type of singer, a voice who I immediately know who is singing, that is why I am a fan.  Firstly, for the voice.  I can listen to any new song on the radio by Phil Collins, Elton John, Joe Cocker, Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge, Michael Jackson,  Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand, Otis Redding,  Bryan Adams, Andrea Bocelli, Rolling Stones,  etc. etc.  even Kelly Clarkson (no matter what she sings)their/ her voice is distinctive.  You know it is them, because they have distinctive voices.   That is what I like in a singer, a very distinctive and recognisable voice.   I do not know what Omawumi's REAL VOICE sounds like.  

I am also entitled to feel that Omawumi  was using her  femine wiles and her sexiness to attract votes.  That does not make me anything, but alert to her game.  Nothing wrong, it has worked for some in the past.  This season on American Idol, there was a contestant who Simon said "Your strategy is to wear shorter and shorter skirts every week". She had great legs and it kept her there for longer than she would have been, had she not used that ploy.   Good for Omawumi doing that, but it did not mean I did not see the tactic.  .     Idols is a singing contest,but it is also a popularity contest.  Each person does what they feel will ensure the result they want.  

For me, I am more drawn to a more humble, down to earth person with a voice that connects deeply to my soul.  

It does not mean I don't think Omawumi can find success, she will definitely do so,  but she needs to find and explore who she really is as an artist. With  Kelly, on her 2nd cd,  she defined herself , which had a rock edge.  She let people know she was not the simple girl next door , it was a gamble from her original style  and it paid off.  But either way her voice is her voice, I can tell immediately whether it is Kelly singing.   She did not combine it with 5 different types of voices, and sounds.  There was a co-hesive sound and feel to her album, and that is why it gelled and was such a huge success.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by pek(m): 10:48am On May 28, 2007
for some reasons, i have not followed idols the way i would have loved to. i first watched the day timi performed dont let the sun go down.it was a bomb and the hall responded accordingly. i was thrilled and when i went to the office, it was the talk of the day.the second time i watched it, one of the judges cried and onther said,"you have set the standard for others to follow, you have shown that you have what it takes to be the winner".what else do you know to show he is the best.his stlyle is just to much for others.his definately the fans favourite.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hype: 11:02am On May 28, 2007
That jodie and uche's duet was crap, i wasn't feeling them atall. They should have learnt from Dare and lindiwe's duet in project fame or if they cant match up to that standard they should have learnt from Didge and Tracy lee or kaz and Tebogo. I know i shouldn't be comparing but i just love those duet especially dare and lindiwe. ( powerfull voices with a powerfull duet).
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ghengis(m): 11:04am On May 28, 2007
No doubt Timi's a great singer,  but did anyone notice thats only when he's doing the Phil Collins. Llama or Michael Bolton thing?

He's humble, fine but i wld have prefered to see Omawumi lift the thing, she did different songs and delved where no one else dared, i mean, to do an Aguilera song is hard enough bt to do two and bring out such excellence in the two is almost unimaginably, What genre of song didn't she do and do justice to, none.

I felt Jodie was the best voice from the top ten but, Omawumi was defintely the best performer.

Timi has won, there's nothing i can do about it but lets see who'll be doing better in the industry in a few years, my money is on Omawumi!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by hype: 11:29am On May 28, 2007
@ ghengis. If omawummi had won, the show would have been a total disappointment to me cos i dont think her voice would be presentable enough in the international scene to be an idol. And as for timi choosing a particular artist song "he knows what suits his voice".
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 11:35am On May 28, 2007
ghengis:

No doubt Timi's a great singer, but did anyone notice thats only when he's doing the Phil Collins. Llama or Michael Bolton thing?

He's humble, fine but i would have prefered to see Omawumi lift the thing, she did different songs and delved where no one else dared, i mean, to do an Aguilera song is hard enough bt to do two and bring out such excellence in the two is almost unimaginably, What genre of song didn't she do and do justice to, none.

I felt Jodie was the best voice from the top ten but, Omawumi was defintely the best performer.

Timi has won, there's nothing i can do about it but lets see who'll be doing better in the industry in a few years, my money is on Omawumi!
i totally agree wit u.Timi had a beta voice but Oma had a good voice and fine package.she woul have made a greater idol IMO
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ronnieslimz(f): 12:34pm On May 28, 2007
timi actually won and im real hapy for him
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by agbola(m): 1:23pm On May 28, 2007
congrats to timi but i feel omawunmi shud have won she is d better vocalist, who isn't afraid to delve into different and difficult notes. to show her quality she kept coming every week with different types of songs which showed her vocal range and her love for adventure. As she grew in the competition she became aware of her sexiness and ability as a woman to entertain the crowd, if people take this offensive then i'm sorry because to me that is what defines a pop star as this is the gift that the most successful pop musicians like beyonce, mariah carey, christina aguilera etc. have got.
Her diversity is also an asset that will ensure her survival in an ever-changing music industry, in fact the greatest musicians like micheal jackson, mariah carey, christina aguilera, etc. when i hear omawunmi is in this class i pray that God helps her to actualise their potential but if Timi is what Africa wants then they didn't make a bad choice either, because there is really not much to differentiate between them.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tasiana(m): 2:05pm On May 28, 2007
Am glad Timi won cheesy
*got a diction my foot* angry

how good is the Nana's diction.She sounds like a howling wolf to me so she has no rights saying that abt someonelse.
Some of us Africans re sooo fake.We shld learn and appreciate our AFRICAN diction.
Dats why Shaka Sali is wat he is today in the journalism world.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Modups1(f): 2:25pm On May 28, 2007
am soooooooooooooooooooooooo happy timi won, he truly deserved it  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
he will do us all proud whether he is speaking queens english or bayelsa english!
stop hating y'all angry
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by funweez(f): 2:32pm On May 28, 2007
i totally think Omawunmi deserved to win.She had a more comprehensive package, she had loads of style as compared to timi, she is also not a stereotyped performer.

Timi is ok but like most people commented he doesnt strike me as one with international appeal.I wish him all the best of luck though. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by youngies(m): 2:34pm On May 28, 2007
If Timi had lost the finals, I wouldn't have survived it. That's how fanatically fan of Timi I am.  cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 4:25pm On May 28, 2007
That jodie and uche's duet was crap
Yes it was. Like typical Nigerians, they didn't bother to polish their performance before showing up on stage. angry
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by anusule(m): 5:38pm On May 28, 2007
can we see his pic please? timi's undecided
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kellorah: 5:45pm On May 28, 2007
damn it

weldone timi  cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 6:05pm On May 28, 2007
Seun:

Yes it was. Like typical Nigerians, they didn't bother to polish their performance before showing up on stage. angry
Why do you think so? I think it was OK.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.