Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47681 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 2:34pm On May 24, 2007
Jordin Sparks wins "Battle of the sexes" and is crowned American Idol over the beat-boxing Blake lewis. At 17 she is the youngest American Idol (perhaps the youngest in the world, eh Thabs?). I'm hoping that Omawumi can also win on Sunday. Timi is simply divine but i think Omawumi is going to just nick it. Truth be told, whoever wins now will be a worthy Idol.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 2:37pm On May 24, 2007
Serious I thought Blake was going to win! As per WA Idols, Timi's gonna win, hopefully. I believe he has a bigger and unified fan base, as against Omawumi. And Idols is all about fan base.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tenik: 2:38pm On May 24, 2007
no i want timi to win, thinks he needs the fame than omawumi, but i love both of them, they r really hot
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 2:41pm On May 24, 2007
Timi will win because he has a bigger fan base. Unless people think he's "safe", in which case he might lose.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 24, 2007
Go Timi,
Go timi,
Go timi,
Timi i hail oh.
Abeg no mind all those who ve been complainin abt ur self esteem nd diction problem,am sure they cant do half of wat u've done so far. Dont u knw dat going  2 the uni does determine ones prosperity in life. Singin is ur talent, its in built. uni or no uni.He drive me crazy wenever he gets on the stage so i'll 4ever give it to HIM.
Timi for live.
All Hail,lets crown the 1st WAI. May u reign for long oh.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by dominobaby(f): 5:02pm On May 24, 2007
Wow, nice inputs from you guys. I really don't know who to choose now, but boy oh boy! Am i glad temitayo is out! Whoever wins now, i'm ok, but part of me prefers Omawumi!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 5:26pm On May 24, 2007
@lawyerchap
Jordin sparks rendition of "this is my now" was beautiful and a befitting end to the show. Blake's version wasn't special!
Its a pain for me because i was hoping for a change from sweet soulful singers. Only Carrie Underwood is a bit a different from the rest of the idol winners [she does country].
Last year, i wanted Chris Daughtry to win but he got chucked out in the round of 4! But he has since made it big. I wish Blake the same.
Back to our Idols, Omawunmi would do! Timi is great but i have enough of Luther Vandross already.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Mustay(m): 6:46pm On May 24, 2007
Timi don win. I've TALKED am
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by archbishop(m): 7:14pm On May 24, 2007
Heloo Nairalanders,

This is archbishop asking everybody to vote for the best IDOL,
and that is TIMI.
Thanks once again.
LOVE u all,

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Egavlas(m): 9:00pm On May 24, 2007
Someone should please teach Omawunmi how to *make up* . She always comes out with too much heavy make up and the irony of the whole thing is that I saw her when she auditioned(without all the make up), and she was looking very pretty. Where are the House Of Taras of this world? Someone please teach this warri girl how to make up. Its awful embarassed
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 10:30pm On May 24, 2007
Some people actually like all the pancake and heavy duty armour. I stumbled on the finals of american idol and was simply wowed by Jordin Spark's rendition of this is my now. While Blake was more entertaining, his voice was a bit ordinary and he can't simply beat box to every song; can he?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by fabrics(f): 1:12am On May 25, 2007
OMAWUMI is the best.Just give it to her. mimicry or not ,she delivers very well.though she might have had a flaw with the mary J blige song, everyone makes a mistake,which was deadly to her. In life, the major thing is to know when you make your mistakes and rectify i. SHE DID greatly. She is a bundle of talent,except we decieve ourselves. she sang from all genres of music,who did that in these competition? no one, but jodie could have measured, but unfortunately she lost out early. She carries herself well and delivers well,rounding it up she had beautiful and mind blowing performances in these last week

Timiiiii, Hmmm? he is good, but i have probem with his over exaggeration.Also, looking at his journey through idols he has always played safe with slow R n Bs.When you are to discover a talent,look at the person's all round capability: reggae,rock,hip pop hmm? Where is timi . This is not beef oh. he is a good singer too.

OMAWUMI, u make me proud to be a nigerian.She is my idol. Her versatility,energy,uplifting spirits is got no bounds.

GO GET IT GIRL
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by fabrics(f): 1:46am On May 25, 2007
Hi SALVAGE, this not about SALVAGing her makeup,its about talent. Even with the heavy makeup YOU DONT LIKE,guy, truth be told she was infact one of the most beautiful in idols top 10.see u are a timi fan. I am not,i like him though, but its OMAWUMI anyday, anytime.

ALSO,U DONT DIG WARRI GIRLS hmm?dont think i am
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Egavlas(m): 1:54am On May 25, 2007
Hi fabrics. What fabric are u made of?   smiley .I don't have a problem with warri girls. I don't have a problem with her personaly but I still think someone should teach her how to make up(since she is now in the public eye). Its terrible. Looks like where my little niece practices on a doll
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Sharn06: 1:55am On May 25, 2007
It's Omawumi. she's got IT!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 4:16am On May 25, 2007
fabrics:

Timiiiii, Hmmm? he is good, but i have probem with his over exaggeration.
Please could you explain what u mean by "over exaggeration"?
Also, Omawumi has not always been outstanding. She only started about 3 weeks ago while Timi has always been outstanding. If you'll judge based on every performance they've done so far, I'll take Timi over Omawumi. I'm not saying she's not good, but Timi is a better and more creative performer.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chukky76(m): 7:17am On May 25, 2007
Timi is good but seriously we all know omawummi is better. she's a fitting representative for the first african idol. Timi cant cut it internationally, and thats not because of his diction or his self esteem, we talking total package. and omawunmi is total package.and omawunmi having a better package doesnt even mean we have to trade off on talent, no!! we dont becos omawunmi is obviously even better talentwise than timi.

lovability---oma
adorability- oma
voice range- oma
performance- oma
confidence- oma
talent- oma
diverse vocal skills for all genres- oma
beauty and grooming-oma
deep ruff luther vandrossy voice-timi

so what are we talking about.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 7:30am On May 25, 2007
TIMI Is Da BOMB[color=Black][/color] kiss cool tongue
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by naijagal(f): 8:08am On May 25, 2007
hope we are not just shouting here without voting undecided
dat can b deadly to ur fave idol

VOTE TIMI! both online and via text
d boy is great!!! kiss
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 8:51am On May 25, 2007
chukky76:

Timi is good but seriously we all know omawummi is better. she's a fitting representative for the first african idol. Timi can't cut it internationally, and thats not because of his diction or his self esteem, we talking total package. and omawunmi is total package.and omawunmi having a better package doesnt even mean we have to trade off on talent, no!! we don't because omawunmi is obviously even better talentwise than timi.

lovability---oma
adorability- oma
voice range- oma
performance- oma
confidence- oma
talent- oma
diverse vocal skills for all genres- oma
beauty and grooming-oma
deep ruff luther vandrossy voice-timi

so what are we talking about.

That looks biased. You need to take everything into consideration. How have they both performed from inception till now? Omawumi's had only about 3 good performances. The rest have just been average. Timi has had only about 3 bad performances, the rest have been very good.
Lovability - Who says Timi is not lovable? You need to visit planet one and see how the audience shouts for him.
Voice Range - Frankly, you can't compare a male voice range to a female one. But u knew that already didn't you?
Performance - Her again Timi over Oma. How many shows of creativity has Omawumi done? Timi has a number of them. His "Stuck on you", "Don't let the sun go down on me", "Faith" have all been great performances. His performances have always been spectacular. Oma has just one. Her "I bruise easily" performance.
Talent - Once again, you can't judge by genres here. Oma didn't do the Raggae song too well. She went off key several times during the rap. Note, timi has never gone off key. The Christina song too wasn't too good a choice. It left her all breathless and inaudible.
Beauty and Grooming - Omawumi does look better than Timi. You're right there
Deep ruff Luther Vandrossy voice - I see you've got a sense of humour LOL.
This is not to say Timi has not shortcomings, but pls vote wisely. I think Timi deserves it more because he has put in more into this competition than Omawumi. Enough said.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 8:57am On May 25, 2007
Salvage:

Someone should please teach Omawunmi how to *make up* . She always comes out with too much heavy make up and the irony of the whole thing is that I saw her when she auditioned(without all the make up), and she was looking very pretty. Where are the House Of Taras of this world? Someone please teach this warri girl how to make up. Its awful embarassed
@Salvage,
It would surprise you to note that Make up for the Idols contestants is done by House of Tara and/or Bayo Haastrup. Sorry to bust your bubble.
Actually i'm kidding with you. I do know however that Bayo Haastrup is in that mix somewhere as he was responsible for make-up at Top24 stage. Whatever it is, you can rest assured that Omawumi does not personally do her make-up. That is entrusted to professional hands. And your opinion of Omawumi's make-up is just that, an opinion. And you are definitely entitled to it. But millions of people love the make-up so i guess you're either really hard to please or it wasn't a terribly well-informed opinion. No beef, just keeping it real. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 9:09am On May 25, 2007
No Winner yet?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:26am On May 25, 2007
Just throwing in an opinion from the last week's guest judge. Here is an excerpt of it.

(For those who are still undecided!! and would like to vote!)

Mr Kuboye's Predictions (21 May 2007)

Our guest judge at the Top 3 Spectacular show says Timi was his fave for the night. The Veteran music producer anchors Timi’s point of differentiation from others on the lad’s ability to deliver comfortably, sweatlessly and naturally. He also believes Timi is adroit at choosing songs because he’s consistently picked songs that help his seamless expressions.

Though he acknowledges that other contestants are awesome and wonderful but advised them to discretionally choose songs that will not pigeonhole them into any hard box. Tunde Kuoye who runs the popular Jazz 38 center in Lagos counsels that it is important the contestants pick songs that suit their spirits.

He says Omawumi’s second performance at the Top 3 Spectacular show magnetized applause from the audience but that the song didn’t suit her[b] personality [/b] well. “Though she did a great job but she started the Christinia Aguillera’s song off key. She was at home with the Bob Marley song.”
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Mustay(m): 9:50am On May 25, 2007
I just love d name- omawumi. Thank GOD she didn't shorten her name as wumi. Perhaps she didn't want a confusion with d drug convict's name
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by fashfisher(m): 10:32am On May 25, 2007
wuld have preferred temitayo in the finals cos omawunmi has not been so consistent except for the recent performances. its like all she and her peeps are after is the money not how they will do a good job and improve music in naija. well since tayo ain't there i might if i decide later to vote for timi
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ibkn(m): 11:20am On May 25, 2007
timi happens to be the elder brother of my hoodboi in ptown elvis. back den he had dis wonderful voice and a very nice delivery of it, being a lover of good music i knew he was good[not as goood as my brother koyejo of oou nfcs fame] but good so today tomorrow and till the end of the show i say timi rocks better than omawumi or anybodi,
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 11:26am On May 25, 2007
fashfisher:

, omawunmi has not been so consistent except for the recent performances. its like all she and her peeps are after is the money not how they will do a good job and improve music in naija. ,
Truth be told, i was amazed at the way omawunmi's fans[or peeps] were particular about bringing home the money, only the 2 guys interviewed didn't mention MONEY! I guess for some people its the $10,000 that matters.
Or is it a warri thing!
But my girl can sing and i think she deserves to win.
Another truth; Timi has the most fans on nairaland, You can deduce from the thread. grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by mimiko(f): 11:40am On May 25, 2007
Let Oma! rest why on earth should she worry about the make up they pay Pros thousands of naira to do! anyways am going to watch her rock the stage tomorrow,Timi is no competition.Omalicious OMA.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Godwyn(m): 12:09pm On May 25, 2007
If only Timi had a Better smile Perharps He would have stood a better chance. I sure wont vote for someone whose smile embarasses me grin
Plus say wor-wor dey burst bottle pursue the guy. Celebs ought to have somrthing extra gong for them, TIMT hasnt Got it! He's UG!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tenik: 12:16pm On May 25, 2007
timiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii all my votes for you, and i trust my nairalanders would do the same, uni or no uni its got nothing to do with ur raw talent, i stay glued to my screen wen u r on, u r a thriller
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Egavlas(m): 12:51pm On May 25, 2007
lawyerchap:

@Salvage,
It would surprise you to note that Make up for the Idols contestants is done by House of Tara and/or Bayo Haastrup. Sorry to bust your bubble.
Actually i'm kidding with you. I do know however that Bayo Haastrup is in that mix somewhere as he was responsible for make-up at Top24 stage. Whatever it is, you can rest assured that Omawumi does not personally do her make-up. That is entrusted to professional hands. And your opinion of Omawumi's make-up is just that, an opinion. And you are definitely entitled to it. But millions of people love the make-up so i guess you're either really hard to please or it wasn't a terribly well-informed opinion. No beef, just keeping it real. wink

Did I hear u say millions of people love the make up? .Do u love her make up or do u like the fact that she sings well? I like the fact that she sings well but the issue is that being an idol is about the whole package. Presentation and all. Try and look at her when she is shown prior to any performance(when she is not on stage). And do a comparison and you would see that she is not doing herself a world of good.
Its my opinion and that of many others here. If we are all not *well-informed* on this, then we must all hate Omawumi right? Not so, cause one person that feels strongly about her make-up not doing her good, is also a strong fan of hers.
If those pros are the ones handling her make-up, then they are not doing well at all. In fact, I believe the contestants also have a say in what they wear and how they look. And Omawunmi, being someone who likes to dazzle ,may be the one who asks for a little more of everything here and there. This also shows in her choices of outfits.
Its no beef bro. Am keeping it real as well.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 1:33pm On May 25, 2007
thabs:

Just throwing in an opinion from the last week's guest judge. Here is an excerpt of it.

(For those who are still undecided!! and would like to vote!)

Mr Kuboye's Predictions (21 May 2007)

Our guest judge at the Top 3 Spectacular show says Timi was his fave for the night. The Veteran music producer anchors Timi’s point of differentiation from others on the lad’s ability to deliver comfortably, sweatlessly and naturally. He also believes Timi is adroit at choosing songs because he’s consistently picked songs that help his seamless expressions.

Though he acknowledges that other contestants are awesome and wonderful but advised them to discretionally choose songs that will not pigeonhole them into any hard box. Tunde Kuoye who runs the popular Jazz 38 center in Lagos counsels that it is important the contestants pick songs that suit their spirits.

He says Omawumi’s second performance at the Top 3 Spectacular show magnetized applause from the audience but that the song didn’t suit her[b] personality [/b] well. “Though she did a great job but she started the Christinia Aguillera’s song off key. She was at home with the Bob Marley song.”

@Thabs
I wouldn't lend too much credence to Tunde Kuboye's opinion. Veteran music producer that he is, he picked a lemon from a basketful of oranges when he picked Temitayo as his second contender for the finale alongside Timi. It doesn't take a genius to pick Timi for the final, but it takes a special breed of bias to pick Temitayo over Omawumi, and that, for me is sufficient reason to discountenance any claim of objectivity on the part of the guest judge.

Salvage:

If those pros are the ones handling her make-up, then they are not doing well at all. In fact, I believe the contestants also have a say in what they wear and how they look. And Omawunmi, being someone who likes to dazzle ,may be the one who asks for a little more of everything here and there. This also shows in her choices of outfits.
Its no beef bro. Am keeping it real as well.

@Salvage
Naomi campbell has absolutely no say on her make up, and she's the absolute "its all about me" diva. Models, musicians, actors, everyone in the limelight knows to let professionals do their jobs without interference. Even star make-up artists leave their own make-up to other artists whenever they have to make a television or runway appearance. It is highly unlikely that omawumi speaks (except out of courtesy) during her make-up sessions, let alone ask for more of this or that. performers entrust themselves completely to those whose jobs it is to make them look the part, so what you see is how that professional thinks she should look. Whether good or bad, it is improbable that Omawumi has any say in the matter. And lets not take this to the ridiculous extent of asking "so if the professional makes her look like an ogre, she will not complain?" because we know that she will definitely complain. However, she doesn't look anything like an ogre in that make-up. so there. And as an aside, no beef or anything o, let me just correct something you wrote (i'm obsessive-compulsive when it comes to grammar in written communication) you said "In fact, I believe the contestants also have a say in what they wear and how they look." You opened that sentence with in fact, leading me to believe you were about to provide me with a factual statement, then you went on to say I believe, meaning you were passing off an opinion as fact. or perhaps your in fact relates to the fact that you have an opinion. Please i do not want to come off sounding like am condescending but it's really confusing. No beef o. Just keeping it real bro. wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.