Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! (3032 Views)

My Little Ginger Sack Farm In The South East / How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria / Sack Farming : Diary Of My Mix Crop Sack Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 25, 2016
Hello Nairalanders

My name is Abbas, I'm an entrepreneur, business consultant and recently turned farmer. I was first introduced to Cucumber farming by a family friend Abdul, he is an active member of nairaland so some of you might know him. Today I'm sharing with u my experience and success with sack farming in the urban area. I have 500 sacks of which 400 are hybrid cucumbers, 60 are onions and 40 are water melons. I still have provision for 1500 sacks in my back yard. Looking for a partner to continue. Onions do very well in sacks and water melon as well. My goal is to have 5000 sacks of cucumber, 3000 sacks of onion, 1000 sacks of Irish potato and 1000 sacks of water melon totaling 10,000 sacks. I have an empty space in a house close to mine on the same street with a capacity of 8000 sacks. I also have a small nursery of kale, beet root, strawberries, grapes and tomatoes of which the seeds are from Mr Fothergill's seeds UK. You can Google the name, they have one of the best vegetable seeds in the world. My first plan is to sell the crops to the market, my second plan is to use the crops as raw materials for my business. Remember I told u I'm a l entrepreneur? I have a fresh fruit juice, smoothies, Salad and fruit salad business. I will use all the crops in either making the fresh juice, or salad or smoothies or fruit salad. So you can see I use 100% of what I plant in my business. My goal is to have this business in 10 states of the federation. Started with Kaduna, next is Abuja and Kano, will then move to Lagos, Warri, Ibadan...I will need your help here, which state do you think I should establish my business, a state where there is market for the business?

Abbas Ari
C.E.O Brizzies fruits and veggies
abbasari@yahoo.com abbasaliyuari@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Arvinkris(m): 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2016
Awesome! Love the sack farm. I'm working on one now. How do you manage to fill in d 400 sacks. It must be tedious. Watermelon do well in sack but they occupy space. I will advice u start ur biz in d city or town close to u where u can monitor its progress before expanding to other cities.

1 Like

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 25, 2016
Thanks so much. Okay, that's nice. You should, it's a good source of income. Yeah its tedious, I was fortunate to find a hip of black sand close by, I bargained and paid the owner a few bucks. I mobilized two young boys to clean and fill up the sacks. It took them 3 days to fill and bring them to my backyard. Yeah, I have one in my city now, I'm halfway done with another one in Abuja. After its successful in abj, then I can move to either kano or Lagos. In kaduna, it's moving very well. Though there are few challenges, but it's well. If u need any advice on ur sack farm, feel free to let me know. I will be glad to help. Thanks.
Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Neduzze5(m): 3:00am On Aug 26, 2016
1. Try to weed your surroundings and keep them clean. Makes it look presentable.
2. Give a little bit of spacing. I think the bags are to close for comfort.
3. More pictures please... Especially the cucumber section.

Success in view!!

3 Likes

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by vanpeele: 8:22am On Aug 26, 2016
Mr. President

1 Like

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Pavore9: 8:32am On Aug 26, 2016
Just as suggested earlier, do weeding around there,

Love your choice of crops.....well done.

1 Like

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Nobody: 8:44am On Aug 26, 2016
Aris112:
Hello Nairalanders

My name is Abbas, I'm an entrepreneur, business consultant and recently turned farmer. I was first introduced to Cucumber farming by a family friend Abdul, he is an active member of nairaland so some of you might know him. Today I'm sharing with u my experience and success with sack farming in the urban area. I have 500 sacks of which 400 are hybrid cucumbers, 60 are onions and 40 are water melons. I still have provision for 1500 sacks in my back yard. Looking for a partner to continue. Onions do very well in sacks and water melon as well. My goal is to have 5000 sacks of cucumber, 3000 sacks of onion, 1000 sacks of Irish potato and 1000 sacks of water melon totaling 10,000 sacks. I have an empty space in a house close to mine on the same street with a capacity of 8000 sacks. I also have a small nursery of kale, beet root, strawberries, grapes and tomatoes of which the seeds are from Mr Fothergill's seeds UK. You can Google the name, they have one of the best vegetable seeds in the world. My first plan is to sell the crops to the market, my second plan is to use the crops as raw materials for my business. Remember I told u I'm a l entrepreneur? I have a fresh fruit juice, smoothies, Salad and fruit salad business. I will use all the crops in either making the fresh juice, or salad or smoothies or fruit salad. So you can see I use 100% of what I plant in my business. My goal is to have this business in 10 states of the federation. Started with Kaduna, next is Abuja and Kano, will then move to Lagos, Warri, Ibadan...I will need your help here, which state do you think I should establish my business, a state where there is market for the business?

Abbas Ari
C.E.O Brizzies fruits and veggies
abbasari@yahoo.com abbasaliyuari@gmail.com

Great job my brother. For the onions I think you can get more value from the sacks by planting in the form of an onion tower, as in planting in the sides of the sack too. Here's a photo for reference

1 Like

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 26, 2016
@neduzze thanks for the advice, I will weed the place today, will post pictures when I'm done. Yes about the spacing, will do that. I am thinking of putting two line of sacks together, then leave enough space then repeat the same process to utilize the space. because I still have more seeds, and sacks available. Searching for more soil to fill all the available space. Thanks once more.

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2016
@vanpeele Mr Abdul... Team sack farm

@docfarmer that's a very good concept, will do just that. That's an empty container right there, if I'm not mistaken? You did very well.
Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 26, 2016
Aris112:
@vanpeele Mr Abdul... Team sack farm

@docfarmer that's a very good concept, will do just that. That's an empty container right there, if I'm not mistaken? You did very well.

Lol! Not my work, was searching for ideas when I came across it. I'm also putting it into practice though using a sack. I think the container is an old juice one.
Atop the sack you can plant herbs or leafy veggies that don't have deep roots.
Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 28, 2016
@docfarmer okay. Yes I might go with the leafy vegetables. I tried the concept with sacks, it turned out very well. Will upload the pictures. Thanks

Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by mrprodigy1: 10:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
Please everyone. I urgently need a tractor service in Edo state.
Re: Success In Cucumber, Onions And Water Melon Sack Farm! by ShedrachU(m): 9:11am On Jun 12, 2022
I love this.
How did you prepare the sack?
It's seems portable and short, did you add gravels?
And how is the onions doing?
Did you plant in the nursery firstly or directly?

(1) (Reply)

Offering Charcoal/wood Charcoal Buyers Needed / Hammer Mill Grinder For Sale - Negotiable / Catfish Farming Vs Broiler Poultry Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.