Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God (3703 Views)

Temptations Vs Our Sight / Those Doubting The Existence Of God,what Is The Source Of Supernatural Powers / Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Krayola(m): 4:22pm On Oct 03, 2009
Prizm:

There are many shades or categories of being/existence ie to say, that when we talk of things existing, there are different senses in which to understand that. There are things which exist because they possess matter; they are physical objects. They have concrete bodies or parts and as such can be seen, touched or felt. This is the most intuitive and common understanding of what it means when one says that a thing exists for they are all around us. So for example, one can say that cars, trees, rocks, water, air, planets, stars exist. This is an understanding that comes from a naturalistic examination of our world.

But why should we say that existence is limited to just the physical things that can be empirically manipulated? Not too many people live their actual daily lives on the presupposition that the only valid things existing are those things which are physical particulars or that have material form. Take some time and think about this point. Indeed the very thing that sets human beings apart as higher-functioning creatures on this earth is the human capacity to understand, process and utilize concepts which are not readily apparent from simple sense data.

In addition to physical objects which we can see, touch/feel, smell, taste or hear we have other reliable understandings of what it means for something to exist. Consider the notion of “Space and Time”. These entities (space and time) are what physical objects are extended into; physical object (matter) obtrudes into space-time; space and time exist even though one cannot literally see, touch/feel, hear, smell or taste them. In other words, you cannot isolate or investigate space and time in some test-tube or laboratory. They are not physically instantiated particulars/objects. Some lower life forms may never rationally comprehend the existence of space or time but their ignorance of that fact does not imply that space and time therefore do not exist.

Also think of the “Equator” or “the center of gravity of the solar system”. The equator has an attribute like a certain length; one can cross the equator but the equator is clearly NOT a physical object even though it exists in time and space. The same goes for the center of gravity of the solar system which is a point moving about in space. It is not a physical/material object either. It is an abstract spatiotemporal object for theoretically the center of gravity of the solar system is a moving point in space that you can momentarily enclose in a tiny container before it passes right through the container as it moves about.

Furthermore, consider this expression “Pete went to a judo match”. This statement makes sense to you, doesn’t it? I assume it does. In other words, if I make another equivalent statement like “Mary went to a dance rehearsal”, someone listening to me will not frown and declare that the statement is meaningless. But if we use a strict naturalistic sense in interpreting what exists, in both sentences the only substances we can empirically isolate are “Pete” in the first sentence and “Mary” in the second sentence. Those two objects have physical form. The rest of the sentence would then have to be described as a meaningless combination of words which do not exist because they can’t be empirically isolated. Would we be rationally justified in taking that stance? The answer is "No". What then do we call “went to a judo match” or “went to a dance rehearsal”? It would be very absurd, to suggest that “went to a judo match” or “went to a dance rehearsal” is a property of Pete or Mary in those sentences above. These are simply events.

Events are that which can occur, have occurred or are occurring in a present active sense. They have their own legitimate ontological existence. So for example, let us say that a certain John brushed his teeth this morning. This is an event that has already taken place—which is to say that the event has already occurred or existed. That is quite different from the active and present existing event right now as you read my post on your screen. What if someone comes out then and declares flatly that the event of John “brushing his teeth” cannot exist because the entire event is not a physical object? What if he denies the existence of that event because it lies in the past and is thus no longer capable of being presently witnessed? That is about as absurd as saying that the event “Pete went to a judo match” does not exist or is unreal because from the statement all we can materially grasp at is the physical form of Pete. Once again, an event is another example of existence that is non-material.

Events may involve finite particulars or matter which can be empirically investigated but taken as a whole, events are conceptually non-material. This means that an event as a subject is not composed of or structurally made out of matter. Think about this for a moment. Think about how impossible it will be for any person who purports to be a higher-functioning human being to live his or her life as though all events in the past did not really exist because such a person is committed to the view that only concrete material objects exist; Or how absurd it will be for such a person to doubt the existence of past events because he or she was not around to empirically validate these events. Do you see how such skepticism could lead one to simply assert that the earth is just 4 minutes old but with all appearances of age simply built in? Why? This is because such skepticism over the existence of the non-material (like events) will commit the skeptic to a fundamental disbelief in the rational existence of any past events outside one’s own immediate empirically verifiable personal experience.

Nevertheless we have other philosophical (metaphysical) and equally valid understanding of what it means for something to exist. These would include things like properties (size, color, weight etc), relations (being taller than, being sweeter than, being faster than, being greater or less than, being equal to etc), numbers or number sets (the set of all integers from negative infinity through zero to positive infinity), logic, propositions or mathematical proofs/theorems which are not concrete but abstract. These things have abstract existence unlike the way physical objects have concrete existence. This means that because these things exist in abstract form you could not possibly test them by empirical methods—which is to say that you cannot touch, taste, see, smell or hear them. They exist independent of any physical observer. In other words, these things exist whether or not there are human beings around to apprehend this abstract realm. But of course we do apprehend this abstract realm; and I’ll put it to you that no sane and higher-functioning human being lives his or her life as though the abstract does not exist.

On the issue of numbers, one is correct in a sense when one says that numbers can be used to express some understanding of the physical world. But that naïve view does not invalidate the idea that numbers themselves exist. Otherwise they cannot be employed in any meaningful way by humans who purport to make rational and logical sense of the world. By some of the arguments here, numbers will cease to exist if the only things existing in the world were simple-celled micro-organisms incapable of apprehending the existence of numbers. That idea is simply absurd. Aggregates, a collection of units or sum totals of quantities (or Numbers) exist whether there are sentient or intelligent life forms around to count. It merely redounds to our credit as intelligent humans that we can apprehend a realm of numbers and as such can count things or represent numbers pictorially or visually with numerals.

Just think about this: Did the number 4 simply begin to exist the first time some first intelligent human existing some distant time in the past looked around and counted out 4 objects? As you can see the answer is clearly “No”. There are many other examples to illustrate the point. No one thought up or invented numbers. Numbers are not the product of our creative imaginations or abilities. The correct view is that humans are relatively more advanced life-forms who can comprehend the realm of numbers and as such can invent or think up a visual representation for numbers as numerals and apply them in their day-to-day life.

Actually I think I see what u mean.  smiley smiley Took me 2 or 3 reads to wrap my head around it. haha. I'm kinda slow.

So, that something weighs "x" or is a certain height means that those properties (x, and the height) have an existence of their own independent of the entities that possess the properties? I'm not sure I agree with that. I think that kind existence is dependent on the entities that possess the qualities, and does not necessarily point at them having an existence or "realm" of their own. i.e properties do not have an independent existence. . . They are dependent, if not on a mind (which i believe is the only way they can exist outside of the entities, as abstractions), on the entities that possess the property.

Do thoughts exist? Do they have their own "realm" separate from the mind thinking them?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by bawomolo(m): 4:52am On Oct 04, 2009
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Krayola(m): 12:01pm On Oct 04, 2009
bawomolo:

hahaha. Did the disgust the lady felt on contact exist before the contact? Was it in the "realm of disgust"? This one that everything now has it's own "realm" of existence. grin grin
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by bawomolo(m): 3:26pm On Oct 05, 2009
Krayola:

hahaha. Did the disgust the lady felt on contact exist before the contact? Was it in the "realm of disgust"? This one that everything now has it's own "realm" of existence. grin grin

lol i know why now. what normal man would get on a bus without wearing a shirt.

does the idiot think he is a model for joe 6 pack collections grin
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by duduspace(m): 5:56pm On Oct 18, 2009
bawomolo:

lol i know why now. what normal man would get on a bus without wearing a shirt.

does the idiot think he is a model for joe 6 pack collections  grin

I was actually shocked when I saw some guy do this during the summer but him no get belle reach this guy. This guy is a wrong poster boy for that kind of behaviour.

By the way, wetin happen to this thread? DeepSight don run? abi him don realise say him dey try prove the unprovable?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Playboy2(m): 6:08pm On Oct 18, 2009
duduspace:

I was actually shocked when I saw some guy do this during the summer but him no get belle reach this guy. This guy is a wrong poster boy for that kind of behaviour.

By the way, wetin happen to this thread? DeepSight don run? abi him don realise say him dey try prove the unprovable?

You said it yourself.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 6:27pm On Oct 18, 2009
duduspace:

@ Duduspace - No, not at all.

You will notice if you read the thread, that Banom (now Playboy*) contributed next to nothing to this discussion beyond heckling over definitions.

You will see in the thread that many others went far beyond such trifles to deal with the core essentials of the argument-proper.

Although i am doubtful of Banom's capacity to digest the essentials of the below, and follow the core deductive reasoning contained therein, you, i think, may be able to do a better job.

Examine the below, which i have culled from the thread "Dr. Angelicus and his Straws" - It is the Argument put forward by an ancient Roman Catholic Theologian, for the existence of God. It captures many of the essentials of what i have been trying to put across.

Read it carefully, and let me know what you think.

The existence of God can be proved in Five Ways:

The first and plainest is the method that proceeds from the point of view of motion. It is certain and in accord with experience, that things on earth undergo change. Now, everything that is moved is moved by something; nothing, indeed, is changed, except it is changed to something which it is in potentiality. Moreover, anything moves in accordance with something actually existing; change itself, is nothing else than to bring forth something from potentiality into actuality. Now, nothing can be brought from potentiality to actual existence except through something actually existing: thus heat in action, as fire, makes fire-wood, which is hot in potentiality, to be hot actually, and through this process, changes itself. The same thing cannot at the same time be actually and potentially the same thing, but only in regard to different things. What is actually hot cannot be at the same time potentially hot, but it is possible for it at the same time to be potentially cold. It is impossible, then, that anything should be both mover and the thing moved, in regard to the same thing and in the same way, or that it should move itself. Everything, therefore, is moved by something else. If, then, that by which it is moved, is also moved, this must be moved by something still different, and this, again, by something else. But this process cannot go on to infinity because there would not be any first mover, nor, because of this fact, anything else in motion, as the succeeding things would not move except because of what is moved by the first mover, just as a stick is not moved except through what is moved from the hand. Therefore it is necessary to go back to some first mover, which is itself moved by nothing---and this all men know as God.

The second proof
is from the nature of the efficient cause. We find in our experience that there is a chain of causes: nor is it found possible for anything to be the efficient cause of itself, since it would have to exist before itself, which is impossible. Nor in the case of efficient causes can the chain go back indefinitely, because in all chains of efficient causes, the first is the cause of the middle, and these of the last, whether they be one or many. If the cause is removed, the effect is removed. Hence if there is not a first cause, there will not be a last, nor a middle. But if the chain were to go back infinitely, there would be no first cause, and thus no ultimate effect, nor middle causes, which is admittedly false. Hence we must presuppose some first efficient cause---which all call God.

The third proof
is taken from the natures of the merely possible and necessary. We find that certain things either may or may not exist, since they are found to come into being and be destroyed, and in consequence potentially, either existent or non-existent. But it is impossible for all things that are of this character to exist eternally, because what may not exist, at length will not. If, then, all things were merely possible (mere accidents), eventually nothing among things would exist. If this is true, even now there would be nothing, because what does not exist, does not take its beginning except through something that does exist. If then nothing existed, it would be impossible for anything to begin, and there would now be nothing existing, which is admittedly false. Hence not all things are mere accidents, but there must be one necessarily existing being. Now every necessary thing either has a cause of its necessary existence, or has not. In the case of necessary things that have a cause for their necessary existence, the chain of causes cannot go back infinitely, just as not in the case of efficient causes, as proved. Hence there must be presupposed something necessarily existing through its own nature, not having a cause elsewhere but being itself the cause of the necessary existence of other things---which all call God.

The fourth proof arises from the degrees that are found in things. For there is found a greater and a less degree of goodness, truth, nobility, and the like. But more or less are terms spoken of various things as they approach in diverse ways toward something that is the greatest, just as in the case of hotter (more hot) which approaches nearer the greatest heat. There exists therefore something that is the truest, and best, and most noble, and in consequence, the greatest being. For what are the greatest truths are the greatest beings, as is said in the Metaphysics Bk. II. 2. What moreover is the greatest in its way, in another way is the cause of all things of its own kind (or genus); thus fire, which is the greatest heat, is the cause of all heat, as is said in the same book (cf. Plato and Aristotle). Therefore there exists something that is the cause of the existence of all things and of the goodness and of every perfection whatsoever---and this we call God.

The fifth proof arises from the ordering of things for we see that some things which lack reason, such as natural bodies, are operated in accordance with a plan. It appears from this that they are operated always or the more frequently in this same way the closer they follow what is the Highest; whence it is clear that they do not arrive at the result by chance but because of a purpose. The things, moreover, that do not have intelligence do not tend toward a result unless directed by some one knowing and intelligent; just as an arrow is sent by an archer. Therefore there is something intelligent by which all natural things are arranged in accordance with a plan---and this we call God.
In response to the first objection, then, I reply what Augustine says; that since God is entirely good, He would permit evil to exist in His works only if He were so good and omnipotent that He might bring forth good even from the evil. It therefore pertains to the infinite goodness of God that he permits evil to exist and from this brings forth good.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Playboy2(m): 6:36pm On Oct 18, 2009
Deap Sight, so with your copy and paste above you will always have pleasant nights comforted with the fact that you have digested and accepted the text above and you are assured that you are right in your believe. right ?

If so good luck.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 6:40pm On Oct 18, 2009
^^^ There we go! 90% of the arguments contained in Dr. Angelicus' quote which i pasted above, i have tried at one time or the other to make on this forum, in different words.

So please digest it if you can (i will be surprised if you do) and provide cogent point-by-point rebuttals to each argument (i will commit suicide if you are able to.)
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 8:07pm On Oct 18, 2009
Deep Sight:

So please digest it if you can (i will be surprised if you do) and provide cogent point-by-point rebuttals to each argument (i will commit suicide if you are able to.)

Statement in red: hmmm. Don't you think that's too much of a line to stake out? Lol, kidding.

Anyhow, having tried to read through the thread before commenting, I must say I like the way you started, Deep Sight. Quite logical, and calling the shots straight with no room for games. It didn't surprise me that the dialogue would be stalemated and not survive the first few lines of the first page, though. Even that, coming to the third page leaves a smile on our faces.

However, it may seem that your initial definition of God as Creator (post #cool might've been intended to simplify things for banom - which is a good thing. Otherwise, if one was to be quite technical and deeply philosophical, then the weaknesses in that definition would have immediately surfaced. As stated there: "That is the best definition we can work with, - a Supernatural Entity that Created all that exists." The clause that may not work so well is 'all that exists'. Of course, even the Creator Himself exists, for He is part of 'all that exists'. The weakness in that definition is what some have tried to exploit by proposing a question: who then created God? Not that the one who asks that question may be interested in seeking an answer (explains why the questioner never ever even attempts to provide an answer about existence in the first place).

I'm not trying to drag us back or put a clog in the progress of the thread. Just wanted to remark that your style is quite appreciated, and your reasoning quite logical. Perhaps one reason why others may not be able to appreciate yours is because they wanted the discourse to turn out into a 'game'.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 8:16pm On Oct 18, 2009
^^^ Viaro. . . Much appreciated.

But perhaps i should clear up something on that definition.

A person who states - "God does not exist" - must, perforce, have something in mind, which he is stating does not exist.

Just as surely as a person who states: "Pixies do not exist" - must perforce have an approximate idea of what the word "Pixies" refers to, in order to be able to make the inference that such a thing does not exist.

Indeed, nobody can state that anything does not exist, unless, he has an idea of what is meant by the thing which is being stated not to exist.

Accordingly, Banom (and all other atheists) have an idea of what the word "God" refers to.

That idea is universal to humanity: a supernatural entity that is responsible for creation.

I accept your statement on "created all that exists. . . what about who created God. . ."

This has been pointed out severally. But without dealing too extensively with that question for now, let me simply state that by the term 'all that exists", i am referring to the finite world, matter, and observable things.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 8:27pm On Oct 18, 2009
Good one, Deep Sight. This one actually was the same I had in mind as a basic (not for the 'technically philosophical'):
Deep Sight:

That idea is universal to humanity: a supernatural entity that is responsible for creation.
That works well at the basic level, and one that should not present any problems for the atheist.

You already know what follows, but let me add anyway for those who might be wondering: a supernatural entity that is responsible for creation works well for me because it does not include the Creator (ie., God) as part of that creation. Hence, the question 'who created God' does not arise. But the one who is convinced that it is both necessary and dialectical has the amiable task of pointing us to 'the creator of the Creator' - if he may. Given that, I might also stake out to bite off my wrist! grin

I accept your statement on "created all that exists. . . what about who created God. . ."

This has been pointed out severally. But without dealing too extensively with that question for now, let me simply state that by the term 'all that exists", i am referring to the finite world, matter, and observable things.

Apt. Well done.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Krayola(m): 9:11pm On Oct 18, 2009
The holes in those arguments have been pointed out over and over again on several threads. The objections have been dismissed as just stubbornness, and pictures of butterflies and outer space were used as a retort.

There is no proof for the existence of a creator, or God. The best you can do is make a good argument. But every one has holes. Every single one.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Playboy2(m): 9:16pm On Oct 18, 2009
Krayola:

The holes in those arguments have been pointed out over and over again on several threads. The objections have been dismissed as just stubbornness, and pictures of butterflies and outer space were used as a retort.

There is no proof for the existence of a creator, or God. The best you can do is make a good argument. But every one has holes. Every single one.

Ude mind him, that was why i lost interest in the arguement from the onset, it was a dead end project. all i normaly do in cases like this is to stay aside and read and gain some insightful knowledge and nothing more.

If God exist, we will not be here argueing over it.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 9:28pm On Oct 18, 2009
Krayola:

In one of such threads, I simply left the stubbornness to continue. It was clear to me from the onset that was what it set out to accomplish, and nothing significantly different from that ever emerged.

Is there any single argument that is so watertight as to be declared free from holes to be exploited? Any single one? Even your own argument for whatever worldview you might hold? Even what is commonly called 'science' have holes in their very best postulations and continue to do so.

Yet, that an argument or theory has holes does not lead to the denial of the existence of what it seeks to explain. It is not the holes in any argument that is the focal point of this thread; and that is why it would be interesting to see a response to Deep Sight's post #72.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Krayola(m): 9:37pm On Oct 18, 2009
viaro:

Is there any single argument that is so watertight as to be declared free from holes to be exploited? Any single one? Even your own argument for whatever worldview you might hold? Even what is commonly called 'science' have holes in their very best postulations and continue to do so.

Yet, that an argument or theory has holes does not lead to the denial of the existence of what it seeks to explain. It is not the holes in any argument that is the focal point of this thread; and that is why it would be interesting to see a response to Deep Sight's post #72.

It is not the holes in the argument that is the issue, but the unwillingness to acknowledge them. Instead y'all say people are being stubborn or are unable to comprehend the "depth" of what is being said. If the argument convinces you, fine. But you can't force it down people's throats, and then ridicule them for refusing it. Especially when they have given valid reasons.

That the argument has holes does not mean God does not exist. . . it just means that the argument does little to nothing in terms of confirming God's existence, at least as far as we are concerned.

I doubt anyone will respond to that argument again. . .  like I said that horse has been flogged back to life and into oblivion over and over again.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 9:46pm On Oct 18, 2009
Krayola, i would be deeply interested in a point-by-point response to #70 above containing Dr. Angelicus' proofs.

This is because i am sorely tired of people stating that "this or that argument has been debunked" without ever actually tackling the arguments head on (you are not guilty of this, but others are, particularly Banom, who has never responded to any single part of the cosmological argument).

Please in the name of God (oops, does he exist, lol!) kindly respond point-by-point to #70.

I can assist to summarize the 5 proofs and make them concise single lines; if you find them overly wordy.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 9:55pm On Oct 18, 2009
Krayola:

It is not the holes in the argument that is the issue, but the unwillingness to acknowledge them. Instead y'all say people are being stubborn or are unable to comprehend the "depth" of what is being said. If the argument convinces you, fine. But you can't force it down people's throats, and then ridicule them for refusing it. Especially when they have given valid reasons.

I don't think this makes much sense. I don't see how one could argue accusingly about anyone's "unwillingness" to acknowledge the holes in an argument when the one making that observation does not provide a more powerful explanatory index.

For one thing, one may not be satisfied with a particular explanation to a given enquiry - that is not the same as accusing that anyone was 'forcing' anything down anybody's throat. It was just that same ideology of thinking anyone would force anything down anyone's throat that made me leave the other thread promptly. The very same complaint you bring up here could be said about the way you argue out issues. If someone rejects your own explanations by pointing to the gaping holes in them, it may be a long wait to see you acknowledge indeed the same in yours. What seems rather queer to me is that those who are quick to reject a particular postulation have not been able to demonstrate a more plausible explanatory hypothesis to the enquiry.

That the argument has holes does not mean God does not exist. . . it just means that the argument does little to nothing in terms of confirming God's existence, at least as far as we are concerned.

Glad to read the highlighted part - which I think is different from the previous assertion you made in post #76 - 'there is no proof for the existence of God'. Subtle as it was, I was being careful to point out that the holes in any argument do not lead to the denial of the existence of what it seeks to explain. There could be 'no proof' for this and that is not therefore to suppose that the existence of the very phenomenon itself is therefore to be denied. It is this subtilty that would lead some to quip that 'If God exist, we will not be here argueing over it'. Arguing over something does not lead to the denial of its existence - in this case, the existence of God and the supernatural.

I doubt anyone will respond to that argument again. . .  like I said that horse has been flogged back to life and into oblivion over and over again.

Agreed.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 9:57pm On Oct 18, 2009
Deep Sight:

Krayola, i would be deeply interested in a point-by-point response to #70 above containing Dr. Angelicus' proofs.

This is because i am sorely tired of people stating that "this or that argument has been debunked" without ever actually tackling the arguments head on (you are not guilty of this, but others are, particularly Banom, who has never responded to any single part of the cosmological argument).

The highlighted is precisely the big worry I have with people coming to hasty conclusions about what they have not attempted to carefully think through themselves. Fingers crossed on your repeated request.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Krayola(m): 10:19pm On Oct 18, 2009
@ deepsight.

I really can't get into any serious debate cause I have a lot on my plate right now. U know i'd be all over this any other time.

@viaro. It is unfortunate that you think we have not "attempted to carefully think through ourselves". Maybe we just disagree. But like I said, u ridicule those who disagree, and pretty much call them stupid. Whatever floats ur boat. wink
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 10:28pm On Oct 18, 2009
Viaro - in fairness to Krayola, he is one of the VERY FEW who actually goes the distance, although i do not believe he has grasped the essentials of some of the arguments, but i must concede that he has a very very open mind, and considering the arguments he offers here, you will be surprised to find the fields of study that he is actually involved in.

I will stick my thumb up for him any day. He's an honest guy.

Krayola - when you have the time, please address #70. Particularly the proof on motion (because i am yet to see anything that begins to move, that was not kicked by something moving - e.g: a football) and the proof of degrees of things in existence.

And finally - please nobody should tell me about this having been discussed too much. It is an eternal question, has always been discussed, and will be discussed long after we are all dead.

So please jaare. . . it cant be discussed enough. . . do you think there is a limit to the different angles that existence can be looked at from??

If there isn't, then let the discussion carry on. . .!
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 10:59pm On Oct 18, 2009
Krayola:

@viaro. It is unfortunate that you think we have not "attempted to carefully think through ourselves". Maybe we just disagree. But like I said, u ridicule those who disagree, and pretty much call them stupid. Whatever floats your boat. wink

Well, my apologies if you perceive ridicule in any degree - it was not intended. Indeed people disagree all the time; but I'm not one to write off anyone as stupid merely on disagreements or irreconciliable differences. However, maybe it happens to be the circle of discussants I've experienced that leads me to the notion that people come to hasty conclusions about what they have not attempted to carefully think through themselves - that was not meant to be directed particularly at you.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 11:03pm On Oct 18, 2009
Deep Sight:

Viaro - in fairness to Krayola, he is one of the VERY FEW who actually goes the distance, although i do not believe he has grasped the essentials of some of the arguments, but i must concede that he has a very very open mind, and considering the arguments he offers here, you will be surprised to find the fields of study that he is actually involved in.

As you can see in my reply to his, I was not categorically pointing him out as the defaulter in my general observations. But there - just me. smiley
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by PastorAIO: 1:01am On Oct 19, 2009
by the way I feel we should call Doctor Angelicus by his real name so that anyone reading who isn't aware of the other thread will know who we are talking about. He is popularly known as Thomas Aquinas.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Tudor6(f): 8:29am On Oct 19, 2009
This is really funny!
I have no problem with people believing in the existence of a god but desperately trying enforce it as undisputable "fact" with mere conjectures and labelling them "proofs" is really sickening. . .

When people make such statements as "Now nothing can be brought from potentiality to actual existence except through something actually existing"- It presupposes that the claimant actually knows EVERYTHING in the universe and beyond to make such a bold daring declaration. . . That is the problem here, you people claim to have "been there, done that" meanwhile science is actively trying to find answers by learning about our vast and diverse universe. And to think I just heard someone mention "open mind" a few posts ago, how ironic. . .my heart bleeds. . . .
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Tudor6(f): 8:37am On Oct 19, 2009
This is really funny!
I have no problem with people believing in the existence of a god but desperately trying enforce it as undisputable "fact" with mere conjectures and labelling them "proofs" is really sickening. . .

When people make such statements as "Now nothing can be brought from potentiality to actual existence except through something actually existing"- It presupposes that the claimant actually knows EVERYTHING in the universe and beyond to make such a bold daring declaration. . . That is the problem here, you people claim to have "been there, done that" meanwhile science is actively trying to find answers by learning about our vast and diverse universe. And to think I just heard someone mention "open mind" a few posts ago, how ironic. . .my heart bleeds. . . .
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Tudor6(f): 8:38am On Oct 19, 2009
This is really funny!

Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Krayola(m): 12:21pm On Oct 19, 2009
The fallacy of quantifier-switch.

Example:

St. Thomas Aquinas's "Second Way", also known as the Cosmological Argument for the Existence of God, contains the follow essential but fallacious step:

Every thing or event is caused, or brought into being, by some other thing or event;
So, some thing or event caused, or brought into being, all other things and events.

Aquinas thought that this Prime Mover was God. This questionable step has the same logical form as the following:

Every number is greater than some other number;
So, some number is less than all other numbers.

The latter inference is clearly invalid: the premise is true of the real numbers (negative and positive), while the conclusion is false. (There is no least number; they keep on going back infinitely far "to the left".) Another argument of the same form, which is clearly invalid, is the following:

Everyone is fathered by someone else;
So, someone fathered everyone else.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 1:58pm On Oct 19, 2009
^^^ Tudor, why are you spamming the thread with the same post appearing 3 times? I have noticed you seem to have a problem with your Reply button, many of your posts appear twice. . . deal with it!

Krayola/ Tudor -
What's your take on the proof of motion?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by coldwater(m): 3:36pm On Oct 19, 2009
Deepsight,

I have been following your posts recently. Your dimension of knowledge impresses me. I want to broaden my spiritual knowledge. Can you be my coach? I, among other things, need you to recommend study materials for me. Thanks.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by viaro: 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2009
@Krayola,

I like this and think it is interesting:
The fallacy of quantifier-switch.

Example:

St. Thomas Aquinas's "Second Way", also known as the Cosmological Argument for the Existence of God, contains the follow essential but fallacious step:

Every thing or event is caused, or brought into being, by some other thing or event;
So, some thing or event caused, or brought into being, all other things and events.

Aquinas thought that this Prime Mover was God. This questionable step has the same logical form as the following:

Every number is greater than some other number;
So, some number is less than all other numbers.

The latter inference is clearly invalid: the premise is true of the real numbers (negative and positive), while the conclusion is false. (There is no least number; they keep on going back infinitely far "to the left".) Another argument of the same form, which is clearly invalid, is the following:

Everyone is fathered by someone else;
So, someone fathered everyone else.

Of course, I see a few problems there already which I'd like to highlight later on. . . perhaps after your response to post #92.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 4:08pm On Oct 19, 2009
coldwater:

Deepsight,

I have been following your posts recently. Your dimension of knowledge impresses me. I want to broaden my spiritual knowledge. Can you be my coach? I, among other things, need you to recommend study materials for me. Thanks.

Thank you, but this is surely too much to say. All of us, i believe, are thirsty, curious, for that elusive something, the mystery of our existence, which stares us in the face as soon as we are old enough to ask that eternal question - who are we, and what are we doing here. . .?

Aside from all these "empirical" arguments i keep trying to make, i strngly  believe that each person can sense essential TRUTH within his spirit. That quiet inner voice, tells it all.

I think we should all learn to look to that voice more.

That's why my favourite quote is-

"Be still. . . and know that i am GOD"

Ciao.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / 3 Things God Would Tell Someone Who Watches 'game Of Thrones' / Christians: What Exactly Does God Do All Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.