Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,557 members, 7,812,784 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:18 PM

Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God (3695 Views)

Temptations Vs Our Sight / Those Doubting The Existence Of God,what Is The Source Of Supernatural Powers / Atheists: Empirical Reasoning For The Existence Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 6:28pm On Sep 30, 2009
banom:

Nice one,
let me devote this evening for us to argue this once and for all,but you must assure me that if you are unable to prove the existence of God to me, then you will stop any further campaign for the existence of God ?and if you win, i will denounce atheism this evening , is that a deal ?

Banom has challenged me to a duel on the Cosmological Argument.

Let's go.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by lilvonz(m): 6:33pm On Sep 30, 2009
*hiss*
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by JeSoul(f): 6:38pm On Sep 30, 2009
*grabs some popcorn and takes a seat*
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by bawomolo(m): 6:41pm On Sep 30, 2009
Nairaland Smackdown edition. oya lets go
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 6:43pm On Sep 30, 2009
ok, come up with that your empirical logic for the existence of God.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 6:52pm On Sep 30, 2009
First, let us make clear that God, is herein defined as "Creator."

The argument is not about religion, heaven, hell, the mercy or goodness of God, his wisdom or fairness, or indeed any other attributes ascribed to God by man or religion, save as the Creator.

Banom is this agreed?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 7:07pm On Sep 30, 2009
Deep Sight:

First, let us make clear that God, is herein defined as "Creator."

The argument is not about religion, heaven, hell, the mercy or goodness of God, his wisdom or fairness, or indeed any other attributes ascribed to God by man or religion, save as the Creator.

Banom is this agreed?

Good this is the part i wanted us to specify before we proceed,

1, I want you to define [b]Existence [/b]for me.

2, I want you To Define God for me,

Finally i agree with your post above that our discussion is not about ,heaven,hell, wisdom, etc, but i disagree with the definition of God above as Creator,

A person can be a God over some thing without necessary creating it,
The other way  round, a person can create something without being a God over it,

1 Like

Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by dgreatrock(m): 7:22pm On Sep 30, 2009
I pity you for saying there is no God. the did say the fool said in his heart there's no God
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 7:24pm On Sep 30, 2009
banom:

Good this is the part i wanted us to specify before we proceed,

1, I want you to define Existence [/b]for me.

2, I want you To Define God for me,

Finally i agree with your post above that our discussion is not about ,heaven,hell, wisdom, etc, but i disagree with the definition of God above as Creator,

A person can be a God over some thing without necessary creating it,
The other way  round, a person can create something without being a God over it,

Let's try to make it simple, and not get over-complicated or lost in definitions.

I think it is clear within all religions and myths that the primary function ascribed to God is the fact of his being responsible for Creation. The Bible opens with the account of God creating the world. The Quoran also states that God created all things. Indeed the fact of his being "the creator" has been the source of his supposed authourity over all things within the context of religion. I do not think there is any attribute ascribed to God that is more cardinal that the [b]creative
attribute, and this should form the plank for discussion.

Secondly, even outside the religious context, the whole purport of existential discussion centres around the question of existence: namely - how did all that exists come into existence/ or - how did the world start/ or what is the origin of all that we see. Thus, inherently, any discussion about the existence of God must have as its cardinal focus the cosmological question of how things came to exist. For this reason, we must focus on the key attribute of God, namely that he is "The Creator."

That is the best definition we can work with, - a Supernatural Entity that Created all that exists.

Please agree with this, as i think its the only rational way to define him for this discussion.

On your question as to what "existence" is, i will say two things -

1. To exist means "to be". Something that is, in reality.

2. Please do not make me fearful that you are going to drag me into a whirlwind of un-ending definitions. . . because it is quite clear what it is to say that something exists or does not exist. . .

So are we agreed on the definition of God as "A supernatural Entity that created all that exists"?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by dgreatrock(m): 7:25pm On Sep 30, 2009
These are all efforts in futility, only the good Lord can convince and convert you anti-God folks.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 7:34pm On Sep 30, 2009
Deep Sight:

Let's try to make it simple, and not get over-complicated or lost in definitions.

So are we agreed on the definition of God as "A supernatural Entity that created all that exists"?

What is supernatural ?

1 Like

Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 7:38pm On Sep 30, 2009
Banom, so that we do not get into a whirlpool of un-ending definitions, i will leave out the word supernatural.

Let us simply Define God as "That which created all that exists."

Happy now?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:41pm On Sep 30, 2009
Consciously?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by dgreatrock(m): 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2009
@Deep

If you keep on engaging yourself in this elusive game of definition this thread ll soon shut down.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 7:48pm On Sep 30, 2009
Deep Sight:

Banom, so that we do not get into a whirlpool of un-ending definitions, i will leave out the word supernatural.

Happy now?

Chrisbenogor:

Consciously?

^^^ Great question. But really and truly, i am not sure it makes a difference. If God takes a conscious decision to create, that's fine. He would be no less God, if his intrinsic nature spawns creation. That would only confirm his nature as a creator. What we need to establish is if there is such an entity at all, which is responsible for the creation of all that exists.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 7:49pm On Sep 30, 2009
Deep Sight:

Happy now?

You are fooling yourself,You have not defined,God and Supernatural, and you want me to agree that your undefined God created all that was created, how ?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Abuzola(m): 7:59pm On Sep 30, 2009
Banom wadz up
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2009
banom:

You are fooling yourself,You have not defined,God and Supernatural, and you want me to agree that your undefined God created all that was created, how ?

^^^^ No, maybe you are misunderstanding me.

I am trying to set the tone for the conversation.

The argument is "Does God exist?"

To argue constructively, we've got to know what the word "God" means.

My understanding of that word is "Creator".

But if you have a better understanding of the word, please proffer it, and maybe we can use that understanding.

If not, then maybe we cant even discuss at all, since we cannot agree on the definition of the word "God" to start with.

Or maybe we can use an independent source to define it, such as a dictionary.

Tell me what you think.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 8:09pm On Sep 30, 2009
Abuzola:

Banom wadz up

Alhaji , kosi trouble.

@ Deap Sight

Do you believe that Kadashada exist ?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 8:15pm On Sep 30, 2009
What is Kadashada, never heard of that before. Please hope this is not a game
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Abuzola(m): 8:23pm On Sep 30, 2009
@deepsight, *wink* don't be scared, relax, take it cool, its just a cool game
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 8:28pm On Sep 30, 2009
It looks like we will have to abandon this thread, i wanted a serious discourse and not games.

We have not even been able to lay out the Fundamentals of the Cosmological Argument and rationalize those fundamentals because we are stalemated on defining the word "God"!

Sorry Banom, i'm out.

Peace.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 8:34pm On Sep 30, 2009
Deep Sight:

It looks like we will have to abandon this thread, i wanted a serious discourse and not games.

We have not even been able to lay out the Fundamentals of the Cosmological Argument and rationalize those fundamentals because we are stalemated on defining the word "God"!

Sorry Banom, i'm out.

Peace.

You see, you cannot even define the God you propose and you want to impose it on people to believe ,

Now can you say it is the fault of an atheist for not believing or your fault for not proving it ?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Abuzola(m): 8:39pm On Sep 30, 2009
C'mon deepsight, you can't be defeated so easily
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by DeepSight(m): 8:52pm On Sep 30, 2009
No, thanks, i can't participate in this.

We said, Define God, before we proceed. I gave him a definition. He's not happy with the definition. I said - ok, propose a definition, so we can proceed. He won't propose one. I even told him i would be happy for us to use a dictionary definition.

Look, i don't have the time for games, and that's what this is about for Banom.

I'm out. Good night.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by noetic15(m): 8:54pm On Sep 30, 2009
Banom is being dishonest here, . . there is no reason to play pranky definition games.

Deepsight has constructively defined God and I dont think that his definition of the creator provokes or refutes any atheistic concept. . . , "God is the creator" is a simple definition that should allow this debate to flow. Existence can be buttressed by the created object of the creator. So if the opening definition of God is a creator, then the existence of God is permissible, since the creation is visible.

Deepsight has set a good tone for this discussion. . . . . .Banom should for once in his nairaland life take the initiative. where are the other pathetic atheists? where is tudor and mazaje?  shocked shocked shocked . . . . . .I would like to see deepsight construct his argument.
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 8:55pm On Sep 30, 2009
@ Abuzola

I leave you to judge the debate, what do you say about it ?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 8:59pm On Sep 30, 2009
noetic15:

Banom is being dishonest here, . . there is no reason to play pranky definition games.

Deepsight has constructively defined God and I dont think that his definition of the creator provokes or refutes any atheistic concept. . . , "God is the creator" is a simple definition that should allow this debate to flow. Existence can be buttressed by the created object of the creator. So if the opening definition of God is a creator, then the existence of God is permissible, since the creation is visible.

Deepsight has set a good tone for this discussion. . . . . .Banom should for once in his nairaland life take the initiative. where are the other pathetic atheists? where is tudor and mazaje?  shocked shocked shocked . . . . . .I would like to see deepsight construct his argument.

Uncle welcome, why not help Deap Sight out?

what is God,?
What is creation,?
What is creator ?
What is existence ?
What is supernatural ?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by noetic15(m): 9:01pm On Sep 30, 2009
banom:

Uncle welcome, why not help Deap Sight out?

what is God,?
What is creation,?
What is creator ?
What is existence ?
What is supernatural ?

I will answer ur questions on 2 conditions. . . . namely:

1. if u dont agree with my definition, u would define urs

2. u will subsequently continue ur debate with deepsight . . , . . . . .is this a deal?
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by banom(m): 9:17pm On Sep 30, 2009
noetic15:

I will answer your questions on 2 conditions. . . . namely:

1. if u dont agree with my definition, u would define urs

I will not define what i don't know any thing about, rather i will accept yours if you define and defend every content of your definition,

noetic15:

I will answer your questions on 2 conditions. . . . namely:

2. u will subsequently continue your debate with deepsight . . , . . . . .is this a deal?

deal if you agree with me above .
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by dgreatrock(m): 9:22pm On Sep 30, 2009
dgreatrock:

@Deep

If you keep on engaging yourself in this elusive game of definition this thread ll soon shut down.

See You are all back to what i said - effort in futility embarassed
Re: Banom v Deep Sight on the Existence of God by Krayola(m): 9:29pm On Sep 30, 2009
haha.

My honest assessment is that most atheist are worried that someone is going to make an argument that they can not refute. i think this deadlock over definitions is unnecessary.

Deep Sight:

I think that works. . .

Abeg deep sight, no vex. if u're still interested i wont fight over words. . .unless absolutely necessary. But I won't let u force things down my throat. Beautiful wings and "order in the universe" and stuff like that won't do it unless u make really sound arguments, that do not appeal to "intuition" or some other spiritual shit that means nothing to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Deeper Life Bible Church Among Other Churches? / To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven / Pastor Chris Prays For Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.