Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria (2334 Views)

MMM Nigeria: Ponzi Scheme, Robbing Peter To Pay Paul? TheGuardian / Unveiling The Scheme Called MMM / To The People Investing Aimlessly In MMM Nigeria, Read This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 25, 2016
People join a system because it seems to be a money spinner without checking out its origin to know if it is a reputable and credible venture or not.

According to wikipedia,
МММ was a Russian company that perpetrated one of the world's largest Ponzi schemes of all time, in the 1990s. By different estimates from 5 to 40 million people lost up to $10 billion. The exact figures are not known even to the founders.

Alot of nigerians will lose their money when the chips come crashing.

MMM was established in 1989 by Sergei Mavrodi, his brother Vyacheslav Mavrodi, and Olga Melnikova. The name of the company was taken from the first letters of the three founders' surnames.

MMM created its successful Ponzi scheme in 1994. The company started attracting money from private investors, promising annual returns of up to one thousand percent.

At its peak the company was taking in more than 100 billion rubles(about 50 million USD)each day from the sale of its shares to the public. Thus, the cashflow turnover at the MMM central office in Moscow was so high that it could not be estimated. The management started to count money in roomfuls (1 roomful of money, 2 roomfuls of money, etc.)

On July 22, 1994, the police closed the offices of MMM for tax evasion. For a few days the company attempted to continue thescheme, but soon ceased operations. At thatpoint, Invest-Consulting, one of the company's subsidiaries, owed more than 50 billion rubles in taxes (USD 26 million), and MMM itself owed between 100 billion and 3 trillion rubles to the investors (from USD 50 million to USD 1.5 billion). In the aftermath at least 50 investors, having lost all of their money, committed suicide.

Mavrodi was found and arrested in 2003. While in custody, Mavrodi was given until January 31, 2006 to read the documents in hisfraudcase against him (The criminal case consisted of 650 volumes, each 250-270 pages long). At the end of April 2007, Mavrodi was convictedof fraud, and given a sentence of four and a half years. Since he had already spent over four years in custody, he was released less than a month later, on May 22, 2007. He later went on to creating yet another pyramid scheme called MMM-2011.

In 2015 MMM began operating in South Africa with the same business model as MMM-2011, claiming a "30% per month" return through a "social financial network". The group was identified as a possible pyramid scheme by the National Consumer Commission and accounts of clients were later frozen by Capitec Bank. In response to mounting criticism and official investigations by state authorities in 2016 supporters of the South African MMM scheme staged a protest march in Johannesburg.

In 2016, MMM launched a website targeting the Nigerian audience.

In January 2016 the Chinese government banned MMM on the grounds that it is a pyramid scheme, (Ponzi scheme), and it is not registered in the country (and as a fraudulent scheme cannot be registered).

A word is enough for the wise

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMM_(Ponzi_scheme_company)?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9522436486

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by edpunter(m): 10:16pm On Aug 25, 2016
Yes it's a ponzi scheme, the investors should ask themselves a very simple question:

- Do they have an office or phone number to contact them?
- Where's the profit of 30% coming from? From new investors.
- Do you know the people you are sending funds to and people receiving the money? cos a month will come that you will send money to their forged account and internet transfer is much easier to move funds within minutes.
- Have you checked their DNS or confidence rating?

These are tips you should know before investing, all these scheme comes when people are so desperate to be rich and this will worsen Nigeria economy very soon cos hyip/ponzis hardly operate more than a year.

-
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by manando1(m): 10:49pm On Aug 25, 2016
prettyboi1989:
People join a system because it seems to be a money spinner without checking out its origin to know if it is a reputable and credible venture or not.

According to wikipedia,
МММ was a Russian company that perpetrated one of the world's largest Ponzi schemes of all time, in the 1990s. By different estimates from 5 to 40 million people lost up to $10 billion. The exact figures are not known even to the founders.

MMM was established in 1989 by Sergei Mavrodi, his brother Vyacheslav Mavrodi, and Olga Melnikova. The name of the company was taken from the first letters of the three founders' surnames.

MMM created its successful Ponzi scheme in 1994. The company started attracting money from private investors, promising annual returns of up to one thousand percent.

At its peak the company was taking in more than 100 billion rubles(about 50 million USD)each day from the sale of its shares to the public. Thus, the cashflow turnover at the MMM central office in Moscow was so high that it could not be estimated. The management started to count money in roomfuls (1 roomful of money, 2 roomfuls of money, etc.)

On July 22, 1994, the police closed the offices of MMM for tax evasion. For a few days the company attempted to continue thescheme, but soon ceased operations. At thatpoint, Invest-Consulting, one of the company's subsidiaries, owed more than 50 billion rubles in taxes (USD 26 million), and MMM itself owed between 100 billion and 3 trillion rubles to the investors (from USD 50 million to USD 1.5 billion). In the aftermath at least 50 investors, having lost all of their money, committed suicide.

Mavrodi was found and arrested in 2003. While in custody, Mavrodi was given until January 31, 2006 to read the documents in hisfraudcase against him (The criminal case consisted of 650 volumes, each 250-270 pages long). At the end of April 2007, Mavrodi was convictedof fraud, and given a sentence of four and a half years. Since he had already spent over four years in custody, he was released less than a month later, on May 22, 2007. He later went on to creating yet another pyramid scheme called MMM-2011.

In 2015 MMM began operating in South Africa with the same business model as MMM-2011, claiming a "30% per month" return through a "social financial network". The group was identified as a possible pyramid scheme by the National Consumer Commission and accounts of clients were later frozen by Capitec Bank. In response to mounting criticism and official investigations by state authorities in 2016 supporters of the South African MMM scheme staged a protest march in Johannesburg.

In January 2016 the Chinese government banned MMM on the grounds that it is a pyramid scheme, (Ponzi scheme), and it is not registered in the country (and as a fraudulent scheme cannot be registered).

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMM_(Ponzi_scheme_company)?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9522436486
only lazy jerks who join this dumb thing

2 Likes

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by eay(m): 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2016
manando1:
only lazy jerks who join this dumb thing

Well...I will make it very brief...
In the cash flow quadrat, what differentiates a BIG BIGNESS OWNER from an INVESTOR is their ability to take RISKS!
What make everybody attacks MMM is because dey are not ready to take risks!
You can't keep doing the same thing repeatedly and expect different results.
The good news is: I can teach you how to be smart with the MMM ponzi scheme and still make your cool cash. I can add you to our MMM whatsapp grp page.
Kindly drop your number.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 25, 2016
eay:

In the cash flow quadrat, what differentiates a BIG BIGNESS OWNER from an INVESTOR is their ability to take RISKS!
The good news is: I can teach you how to be smart with the MMM ponzi scheme and still make your cool cash. I can add you to our MMM whatsapp grp page.
Kindly drop your number.
y should u be so glad to profit from a system where which its founder was jailed for scheming people. well i guess money is everything to u, the end justifies d means so far u are making money whether by hook or by crook right?
Dont know why people will be supporting a system that lacks credibility. just waiting to hear people wail when the lose their hard earned money to this scheme.

1 Like

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by eay(m): 8:12am On Aug 26, 2016
prettyboi1989:

just waiting to hear people wail when the lose their hard earned money to this scheme.

Well...I speak grammar than you do...and at last, I still joined...
Happy waiting pal grin grin grin

Either you wait or not...I'm still making my money from MMM *sips coke
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by manando1(m): 11:54am On Aug 26, 2016
eay:

Kindly drop your number.
I can't argue with you cos it pretty obviously you don't know what you're in for but if you've ever heard of recruitment of Magogis and Gogis that what you're MMM is not the only Ponzi operating under the Pyramed they're lot of them recruiting I can't mention other Schemes here who are being operated by the Pyaramed. But my advice to you would be this don't let love of money make you lose what you can't buy even if you had lot of money in the world

1 Like

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Nobody: 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2016
It ain't a Ponzi scheme or a pyramid system.

Neither is helpsgivers.
See my siggy for more info
prettyboi1989:

According to wikipedia,

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2016
eay:

Well...I speak grammar than you do...and at last, I still joined...
Happy waiting pal grin grin grin

Either you wait or not...I'm still making my money from MMM *sips coke

It's also time for you to make yet another decision. For either you join or not I will also be sipping my coke.

*click on the clickable bit of my siggy for more info*
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2016
It ain't a pyramid bruv, neither is helpsgivers

manando1:
I can't argue with you cos it pretty obviously you don't know what you're in for but if you've ever heard of recruitment of Magogis and Gogis that what you're MMM is not the only Ponzi operating under the Pyramed they're lot of them recruiting I can't mention other Schemes here who are being operated by the Pyaramed. But my advice to you would be this don't let love of money make you lose what you can't buy even if you had lot of money in the world
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by manando1(m): 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2016
Silkmoth33:
It ain't a pyramid bruv, neither is helpsgivers

Deny it on not but MMM is the system of the Pyramed or should I say it in the more understandable way MMM is the illuminate system (MMM operate with the system called Ponzi created long time ago ) if you waiting for the devil to show you his horns then you're in big trouble

1 Like

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2016
Abeg just click the clickable bit of my siggy!and have sense
manando1:
Deny it on not but MMM is the system of the Pyramed or should I say it in the more understandable way MMM is the illuminate system (MMM operate with the system called Ponzi created long time ago ) if you waiting for the devil to show you his horns then you're in big trouble
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by eay(m): 1:32pm On Aug 26, 2016
manando1:

Thanks for th pep talk grin grin grin
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by manando1(m): 5:20pm On Aug 26, 2016
eay:

Thanks for th pep talk grin grin grin
lol you think this is pep talk well great give me your email I will give you details of the scheme formed under the pyramed same as MMM right here in south africa explaining why they're doing what they do

1 Like

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by manando1(m): 5:23pm On Aug 26, 2016
Silkmoth33:
Abeg just click the clickable bit of my siggy!and have sense
I ain't blinded by the love of money to click every useless dumb links

1 Like

Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 26, 2016
manando1:
I ain't blinded by the love of money to click every useless dumb links

If not for the love then do it for convenience sakes. Do it so that when ppl start talking about it to you, you'll have ur facts to say "shut up u can't fool or cajole me into ur scam"
Do it so I will stop staining ur mentions.

Do it cos it's good to have a general overview and knowledge in this things so that you know what else to say to discourage ppl.

Do it for ur children's children! cheesy
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Ay04z(m): 9:39pm On Aug 26, 2016
mmm is so real. from thousanaire to millionaire.
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by Mboi2: 7:33am On Aug 27, 2016
prettyboi1989:

y should u be so glad to profit from a system where which its founder was jailed for scheming people. well i guess money is everything to u, the end justifies d means so far u are making money whether by hook or by crook right?
Dont know why people will be supporting a system that lacks credibility. just waiting to hear people wail when the lose their hard earned money to this scheme.
What is this MMM thing all about? Where do they get the money and pay people.
Re: The Ponzi Scheme Called MMM Nigeria by eay(m): 2:35pm On Aug 27, 2016
Mboi2:

What is this MMM thing all about? Where do they get the money and pay people.

You still never know all ds yl...where we are busy making money grin grin grin
Issoryt...check my signature then...

(1) (Reply)

Newly Arrived Grade 1 Okrika Bale From Europe / How EFCC Frustrates Businesses And Ngos With Delay In SCUML Registration / Setting Up Shop In Nigeria: A Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.