Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Happy Independence? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy Independence? (8389 Views)

Happy Independence Day!. (photos) / Happy Independence Day:Nigeria Is 54 / Post Your Happy Independence Nigeria....picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy Independence? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 01, 2009
@ beef, i cant stop laughing o grin grin grin grin grin grin,KO KO NI RAGBA FUN AWON CORRUPT LEADERS WA,LAYE YI ATI LORUN
Re: Happy Independence? by bawomolo(m): 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2009
Re: Happy Independence? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 01, 2009
@BAWOLOMO,good for them grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Happy Independence? by MUNEER2(m): 3:05pm On Oct 01, 2009
Re: Happy Independence? by chidyke77(m): 3:07pm On Oct 01, 2009
Wat ar we celebrating
Re: Happy Independence? by monopolist: 3:08pm On Oct 01, 2009
If we do not intensify our search and find what all Nations are looking for, we may celebrate our 419th Independence in a worse situation than this 49th.

I pray Nigeria will find it now.

True Independence is when we know and practice The Truth

You shall know the Truth and the Truth shall make you Free

What then is the Truth?
Re: Happy Independence? by platnumnk: 3:20pm On Oct 01, 2009
Here is a great way to celebrate independence- Help someone out in need.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-327742.224.html#msg4646581
Re: Happy Independence? by Fhemmmy: 3:28pm On Oct 01, 2009
Nigeria's situation is so pathetic
Re: Happy Independence? by Beaf: 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2009
[size=21pt]49 + Yar Adua = 419[/size]
Re: Happy Independence? by Fhemmmy: 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2009
Beaf:

[size=21pt]49 + Yar Adua = 419[/size]

That is a real one and a nice quote.
Re: Happy Independence? by Beaf: 3:35pm On Oct 01, 2009
uplawal:

@ beef, i cant stop laughing o grin grin grin grin grin grin,KO KO NI RAGBA FUN AWON CORRUPT LEADERS WA,LAYE YI ATI LORUN

Don't mind them my dear. One day, bushmeat go catch de hunter.
Re: Happy Independence? by bidemi12(m): 3:50pm On Oct 01, 2009
God!!!! I love the internet. I love technology. Can you imagine some years back we would not be able to voice our discontent publicly in this manner? at least the world will know we are not all crazy. F!@&#%k all those leaders that take our country for granted. A word of warning ''YOUR TIME WILL COME''.
Re: Happy Independence? by alex406(m): 3:58pm On Oct 01, 2009
I wonder if suffering is what we are celebrating or success.Millions of Nigerians are out there with minimum or no food to feed on yet some are here celebrating failure of 49yrs of clueless governance in Nigeria.God help us though.

Beaf:

Don't mind them my dear. One day, bushmeat go catch de hunter.

Na so,e go everly be one day.
Re: Happy Independence? by switch47(m): 4:08pm On Oct 01, 2009
Independence day and the Nigerian dream!!

Fellow Nigerians,
I wish you all Happy independence day!! This is a critical period in the history of our great nation Nigeria, and a lot of things terrible things occur daily to the detriment of our dear country, negative events leading to more negative chain of events and in turn given birth to more negativity in our society.

I have a dream that one day Nigerian citizens of every rankwill feel that they can achieve a better, richer, and happier life with basic amenities available to all.

I have a dream that someday the Rule of Law shall be truly entrenched in our land, that there shall be equal justice among the Nigerian populace and that a Nation inflicted with the cancerous venom of injustice and malaria of oppression shall become a haven of justice, peace, unity and freedom

I have a dream that someday the Nigerian flag, passport and citizen shall be respected all over the world -

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that the headache of corruption shall be cured with a dose of moral aspirin and the pregnancy of distrust and impending disintegration shall be aborted by the hypernigerians who with resolute integrity shall act collectively to actualise the Nigerian dream.   --------full text in   www.hypernigeria..com      enjoy!!
Re: Happy Independence? by Finecat(m): 4:30pm On Oct 01, 2009
Happy Birthday Agbaya, Oniranu onisekukuse. All your junior brother - Ghana, South Africa, Benin Rep etc. Are getting their act together but you you are still playing with mammy water toy. Oniranu!!!
Re: Happy Independence? by therichson(m): 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2009
NIGERIA @49. Happy Celebration Nairalanders. wink
Re: Happy Independence? by sunnela: 4:47pm On Oct 01, 2009
SORRY I FORGET TO ADD THIS:
"GOD PUNISH LORD LUGGARD FOR THAT INFAMOUS MERGER OF 1914"
Re: Happy Independence? by lawmanlala(m): 4:51pm On Oct 01, 2009
well, we are happy to celebrate 49 yrs of darkness, poverty, corruption, ethnic rivalry, nepotism and many more vices. Is it not worth celebrating. woe to those that are dragging us backward. 49 yrs of decadence
Re: Happy Independence? by samytech: 5:07pm On Oct 01, 2009
There is no independece since we still have the bad leaders who are still rulling so tell me are we free or we are still enslave bye owr own people. "NIGERIA WILL HAIL THE" Has tuen to "NIGERIA WILL HATE THE"
Re: Happy Independence? by bandely(m): 5:09pm On Oct 01, 2009
therichson:

NIGERIA @49. Happy Celebration Nairalanders. wink

sunnela:

SORRY I FORGET TO ADD THIS:
"GOD PUNISH LORD LUGGARD FOR THAT INFAMOUS MERGER OF 1914"
NLDers, na wa oooo  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Happy Independence? by adebayo201: 5:10pm On Oct 01, 2009
U see wat i'm sayin. Even Fashola d gov. Of Lagos state iz ashmed 2 cum out pubicly 2 read 2day speech. Nawa o. Shaai, wey 'a we goin. Inside d grave i suggest. :-C
Re: Happy Independence? by skfa1: 5:11pm On Oct 01, 2009
Independent for what pls?
Re: Happy Independence? by 55gal(m): 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2009
Thank God for still  keeping us a  Nation.
There is hope!
Things will not remain this way forever.
Re: Happy Independence? by Anabel(f): 5:21pm On Oct 01, 2009
skfa1:

Independent for what pls?

i was about asking thesame question
Re: Happy Independence? by lawmanlala(m): 5:22pm On Oct 01, 2009
we narrowly missed it by 1. It should have bn nigeria celebrating 4(1)9 yrs, cos our leaders are all 419
Re: Happy Independence? by Fhemmmy: 5:33pm On Oct 01, 2009
55gal:

Thank God for still  keeping us a  Nation.
There is hope!
Things will not remain this way forever.

Only a fool do same things same way and expect different result.
Re: Happy Independence? by mrperfect(m): 5:53pm On Oct 01, 2009
Happy independent!!!!!!!!
Re: Happy Independence? by gessense(m): 6:22pm On Oct 01, 2009
lawmanlala:

we narrowly missed it by 1. It should have bn nigeria celebrating 4(1)9 yrs, cos our leaders are all 419

Fellow Nigerians, You do not need go to Abuja to change Nigeria,If you want a cleaner Nigeria, Start from your bedroom,Hasn't it occurred to You? Most that go to Abuja to change Nigeria ended up being conformed to the order.

http://www.obafemionline.com/nigeria-at-49-a-clarion-call
Re: Happy Independence? by netprofit(m): 7:41pm On Oct 01, 2009
Communist China marks 60 years with tanks, kitsch

BEIJING – Jets, tanks and missile-toting trucks thundered through Beijing on Thursday in a show of military muscle to celebrate six decades of communist rule and China's transformation from a war-battered regional player into global economic superpower.

Most people in the capital could only watch the elaborate ceremony for the founding of the People's Republic unfold on national television, as tight security excluded ordinary people from getting near the parade route through Tiananmen Square.

Precisely choreographed, the two-and-half-hour event hewed closely to tradition. President Hu Jintao, in a Mao jacket instead of a business suit, rode in an open-top Red Flag limousine to review the thousands of troops. A parade of kitschy floats, flanked by more than 100,000 people, lauded the communist revolution and the Beijing Olympics.

A female militia in red miniskirts and shiny white boots added a jolt of color to the sea of fatigues — and showcased efforts by the armed forces to be more inclusive.

Even the weather cooperated, after the government's aggressive cloud-seeding produced overnight showers to disperse smog and bring in blue skies.

"The message that is intended is: 'We are modern, we are Chinese, we are great, we are fantastic, and we all do it because of the great leadership of the Communist Party,'" said Steve Tsang, a China politics expert at Oxford University.

The most novel aspect was the weaponry, more than had been shown before and most of which was domestically produced: dozens of fighter jets and hundreds of tanks, artillery and trucks carrying long-range, nuclear-capable missiles.

"On this joyful and solemn occasion, all the peoples across the nation feel extremely proud for the progress and development of the motherland and have full confidence in the bright prospects for the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation," Hu said in a short speech standing atop Tiananmen gate with the rest of the collective leadership looking on.

Behind the celebrations is the tremendous change of fortunes China has experienced. A poor country that was weak internationally when the communists took over on Oct. 1, 1949, China has become the world's third-largest economy and a power whose input the U.S. seeks to solve the global economic crisis and Iran's nuclear challenge.

China is now the world's largest auto market and has more Internet and mobile phone users than anywhere else.

Virtually all Chinese families now have at least one television and, in the cities, a washing machine — rare items three decades ago. Some 15 million families own private cars, and many Chinese also own their own homes.

The parade floats showcased such material gains by toting models of high-speed trains, giant computers, cars and bundles of wheat and rice in the wake of the military's display.

Unmentioned during the event and crescendo of state media hype in recent weeks were the ruinous campaigns of revolutionary leader Mao Zedong that left tens of millions dead — as well as the country's current challenges: a widening gap between rich and poor, rampant corruption, severe pollution and ethnic uprisings in the western areas of Tibet and predominantly Muslim Xinjiang.

An evening gala on Tiananmen Square later Thursday featured thousands of performers singing and dancing for nearly two hours while dramatic bursts of multicolored fireworks erupted in the background. Driving home the party's message of harmony and ethnic unity, several songs were about the steadily improving and happy lives of Tibetans, ethnic Muslims and other minorities under communist rule.

The show, like the opening ceremony for the Beijing Olympics a year ago, was choreographed by film director Zhang Yimou.

As part of the night's finale, Hu and other top leaders descended from their VIP platform onto the square, holding hands and singing "Ode To The Motherland" along with the artists.

While the Olympics were meant to mark China's arrival on the world stage, both the parade and the gala squarely aimed to please a domestic audience with a strong emphasis on popular Chinese culture and appearances by national heroes, such as performing artists, astronauts and athletes.

The strategy seemed to work, with people gathering on side streets to get a glimpse of the passing parade or watching from home.

"China's power makes us proud. Over the span of 60 years, China has developed so rapidly," said retiree Wang Shumin, standing in a back alley watching the parade on TV through a shop window. "China is now powerful and has a position on the world stage."

But in Hong Kong, which has Western-style civil liberties as part of its special semiautonomous status, hundreds of people protested Thursday, denouncing China's human rights record during 60 years of communist rule.

About 200 people marched through the downtown financial district, chanting, "We want human rights. We don't want a sanitized National Day."

Tibetans also staged protested outside Chinese embassies in India and Nepal.

Minxin Pei, a professor of government at Claremont McKenna College in California, said the event continues a strategy deployed since the military crushed the Tiananmen democracy movement in 1989: "a one-party state that uses its economic success to bolster its legitimacy in any way conceivable, including a Soviet-style military parade."

He said the money would have been better spent on scholarships for students in impoverished rural areas.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091001/ap_on_re_as/as_china60th_anniversary
Re: Happy Independence? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 01, 2009
Independence kai, 4 dis lawless society. dey people no dey free jera.
Re: Happy Independence? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2009
it should be observed as a national day of mourning for the day we brought hell unto ourselves and committed suicide. every nigerian must make sure he cries a half liter of tears.
Re: Happy Independence? by redsun(m): 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2009
The fact that our government have not shut down this forum means that we are not really up against a brick world.This kind of forum can not see the light of the day in places like china,iran or even pakistan.

The government probably see us as always as toothless bulldogs,just barking without a single teeth to bite.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Traditional Ruler Of Eziama Obiato Kidnapped In Imo / Bill For State Police Passes Second Reading / Governors Okay Debt Reduction, Judicial, Legislature Autonomy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.