Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,216 members, 7,829,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? (10242 Views)

I Feel Very Emotional About This News. Hmm, After 49 Years?? Unbelievable! Pics / Brief History Of Nigeria Between 1849-1960 Of Independence / My 49 Years Old Aunt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by chosen04(f): 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2009
Biati de 1:

@chosen04

bless you sister,

I beg I wan go Biafra

Welcome!!! Believe me Biafra is a "SPIRIT" that will never die. The more we talk about her the faster we fasten the process of bringing her to reality. I had a "dream" recently where i slept as a nIGERIAN but woke up as a BIAFRAN.

Land of the rising sun we hail the.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by Donvilo(m): 2:52pm On Oct 02, 2009
Nothing! No two ways about that. angry
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by saworoide: 3:47pm On Oct 02, 2009
While Nigeria was celebrating Independence, China was celebrating her 60th anniversary of the great Chinese revolution. I think we need to do something drastic about Nigeria so we could also celebrate the revolution instead of this regretable Independence.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by nethacker(m): 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2009
saworoide:

While Nigeria was celebrating Independence, China was celebrating her 60th anniversary of the great Chinese revolution. I think we need to do something drastic about Nigeria so we could also celebrate the revolution instead of this regretable Independence.
Where do u think we can/should start from? this is wat we NEED.we have to get rid of those scoundrels we hv as leaders n Godfather angry angry
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by otukpo(f): 4:19pm On Oct 02, 2009
i have been forgeting something;

The much talked about protest of yesterday 1st October, the one taking off from Maryland to wherever, Did it take place and how was it?

Just being curious.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by otukpo(f): 4:35pm On Oct 02, 2009
Achievements? I am still thinking but Darkness keeps coming to my mind and i guess its not an achievement.

But Darkness/failure of PHCN has blurred every imagined achievement in the past 49 yrs.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by saworoide: 4:47pm On Oct 02, 2009
nethacker:

Where do u think we can/should start from? this is wat we NEED.we have to get rid of those scoundrels we hv as leaders n Godfather angry angry

The 3 Million man march in march was a good idea, unfortunately the organisers chose the wrong course and focus. The planned student naked protest in Abuja is a welcome development, however, we do not need to go naked to show our displeasure about the country's state of affairs.

Civil societies and human right groups are normally the catalysts for such revolutions which every other group and citizens desirous of changes would log unto. We did not need so much of organisers and persuasions to come out for the June 12 rallies in the mid 90's because we all realised we needed to act.

Niger Delta insurgence was going to become a revolution until criminality crept into the whole idea and discredit the struggle. Are we ready to face the struggle and perhaps pay some prices for the cause? Are we sincere enough to mount a campaign / struggle devoid of personal gains and selfish ambitions? Are we ready to support to movements for change irrespective of whether the champions are from the North, West or East?

Most Nigerians prefer to go into marathon prayer sessions for the country hoping that God will directly intervene to change the country; we are likely to remain like this until we realise that our destiny lies in our hands.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by nethacker(m): 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2009
saworoide:

The 3 Million man march in march was a good idea, unfortunately the organisers chose the wrong course and focus. The planned student naked protest in Abuja is a welcome development, however, we do not need to go naked to show our displeasure about the country's state of affairs.

Civil societies and human right groups are normally the catalysts for such revolutions which every other group and citizens desirous of changes would log unto. We did not need so much of organisers and persuasions to come out for the June 12 rallies in the mid 90's because we all realised we needed to act.

Niger Delta insurgence was going to become a revolution until criminality crept into the whole idea and discredit the struggle. Are we ready to face the struggle and perhaps pay some prices for the cause? Are we sincere enough to mount a campaign / struggle devoid of personal gains and selfish ambitions? Are we ready to support to movements for change irrespective of whether the champions are from the North, West or East?

Most Nigerians prefer to go into marathon prayer sessions for the country hoping that God will directly intervene to change the country; we are likely to remain like this until we realise that our destiny lies in our hands.

Well said but on the other hand,do u think our hausa brothers are ready 2 join d struggle?
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by ayobase(m): 6:35pm On Oct 02, 2009
Struggle ke?
Hausa man no care where
the wind blow am.

Just move and I will follow!

Nigeria Is Blessed.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by ayobase(m): 6:39pm On Oct 02, 2009
Struggle ke?
Hausa man no care where
the wind blow am.

Just move and I will follow!

Nigeria Is Blessed.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by Ndipe(m): 7:53pm On Oct 02, 2009
That the statehood of Nigeria is still around despite skirmishes, a civilwar and periodic outbreak of riots in the country. That's all I can think of.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by IYANGBALI: 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2009
abeg we yarn truth Nigeria is a good example of a failed state,nothing dey work for naija except prik and toto
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by stiyke(m): 11:41pm On Oct 02, 2009
Nigeria has is richly blessed, with just one natural disaster:

Corruption. Nigeria has been tormented from birth by undiluted concentrated corruption from birth.

As long as there is Nigeria, there will always be more concentrated corruption.

Even the fetus in nigerian mothers are already corrupt.

The good thing about nigeria is that there are still few good men.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by chupcake(m): 12:07am On Oct 03, 2009
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by Onlytruth(m): 1:36am On Oct 03, 2009
At 49, too many pissed Nigerians!
Abeg show me my machine gun ! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lof6XJ8b1SU
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by AkoEja: 6:37pm On Oct 04, 2009
There is so much negativity in this thread. If you hate country so much, what hope is there for the country to develop?
This thread has made me understand more why Nigeria's growth has been problematic. Nigerians hate Nigeria too much. Those of you who have written negative thoughts here about Nigeria will definitely perform worse than Nigeria's corrupt leaders if you have the opportunity to rule.

A people deserve the kind of leaders they get, because you must either have put them in power, or if they forced themselves into positions of power, you have allowed them to stay there.

Nigeria cannot move forward until Nigerians start loving the country, and are ready to fight for its growth.
There are some parochial views amongst some Nigerians, where they believe that continued colonialism would have been better than independence, how do you answer such views? The colonialists did not colonise us so as to develop Nigeria - they came to plounder our resources for the good of their homeland(Britain)

Nigeria remains as bad as it is because Nigerians have refused to fight enough for it! People, there must be some good to say about your motherland!, because wherever you go, there is no place like home, though home may not always be so homely.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by MrCrackles(m): 6:39pm On Oct 04, 2009
AkoEja:

Nigeria remains as bad as it is because Nigerians have refused to fight enough for it!
When you lead the call for a fight, others will join you!
So pluck some courage mister and stand up tall. . . .
Psssf!
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by AkoEja: 8:07pm On Oct 04, 2009
Its not just about fighting ! Its about contributing your own quota in whatever way you can, and not keep complaining all the time that things are not right. For your information, i am already doing my bit, and I hope to do more. You need to love your country, that does not stop you from hating the leaders if they are bad.
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by Onlytruth(m): 9:16pm On Oct 05, 2009
AkoEja:

Its not just about fighting ! Its about contributing your own quota in whatever way you can, and not keep complaining all the time that things are not right. For your information, i am already doing my bit, and I hope to do more. You need to love your country, that does not stop you from hating the leaders if they are bad.

How can I love my country when it has demonstrated hatred towards me and my kind through the years?  I would start loving my country when someone is held responsible for the murders which has been happening in Nigeria from independence to date. The country doesn't even need to appease me. It needs to appease the souls of 2 million people who were starved to death because they demanded freedom and justice. The country is serving a curse placed on it by the souls of the innocents lost in the past 49 years. You want to move forward, but you are determined not to correct your past. I don't participate in delusional optimism. Sorry dude!
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by AkoEja: 11:10am On Oct 19, 2009
How can I love my country when it has demonstrated hatred towards me and my kind through the years?  I would start loving my country when someone is held responsible for the murders which has been happening in Nigeria from independence to date. The country doesn't even need to appease me. It needs to appease the souls of 2 million people who were starved to death because they demanded freedom and justice. The country is serving a curse placed on it by the souls of the innocents lost in the past 49 years. You want to move forward, but you are determined not to correct your past. I don't participate in delusional optimism. Sorry dude!

A country can not hate you; as a country is not a person or an individual. You sound like you have some self hatred. If you hate your country, you hate yourself. Simple as that. Nigeria is not the worst country in the world, Nigerians just need to get a grip and be realistic.

If your country is serving a curse placed on it, the curse is to the people. Nobody is asking you to engage yourself in delusional optimism, I am only asking people to face reality and tackle the problem of the country head on. I'm not sure where you live in the world, but if you move out of Nigeria, then you realise what you miss about your country.

It is the people of a country that makes the country, not the other way round. It is ludicrous that many Nigerians want a ready-made country with everything in place to go to instead of spending time to make their own. If you want to live in a fine house in a good neighbourhood you would have to spend money and energy to build it. The same with your country.

Until Nigerians realised nobody else is going to come and build their country for them, that is when this country will start moving forwards. How many Nigerians can move out of the country anyway? If we estimate that 20 million Nigerians are outside Nigeria (a clear over exaggeration), what happens to the rest 130 million?

NIGERIANS, LOVE THY COUNTRY!
Re: Nigeria's Achivements In 49 Years Of Independence? by ezicat: 2:19am On Aug 04, 2010
Thank you, Ako, and the others with a similar mentality. I had such a bitter taste in my mouth at some of the negativity I read hear. God forbid! Why should I get pissed off, when Africa is shown as a shit hole in the West, when Africans themselves think that way about their own countries (if the Nigerians here are anything to go by)?

Other people have already pointed this out, but do you guys really think that whining in an of itself will accomplish anything without action? Honestly. Thank God that there are people out there like myselfm like Ako and the rest, who turn challenge into an opportunity. Those who sit back and think - no power; why don't we get business donors together, set-up a power plant small enough to supply constant electricity to a small section of a city and privatize that? Of course, said person has to be wealthy to start with. But whatever about the poorer individual who starts a micro-credit loan company with $200? What about the person who starts a fish farm with just a few spawns, working at it long enought to employ people; the person who set-ups a cleaning agency with just a cell phone and word of mouth advert?

The rest of you lot are just pathetic whiners. Whine whine whine. I'm not saying don't complain, feel hurt and angry about what could be. But do that AND something tangible. Don't just whine!

And as for those wishing for recolonization and calling for whites to take over, so you're saying you're inferior, stupid, retarded. Only good for slavery? Well, you might be, but I'm not! Please, please, please, don't represent the majority of nigerians. because if you are the status quo, we really are in deep doo doo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Presidency Blames Niger Delta Crisis For Slow 2016 Budget Implementation. / Former Aid To Peter Obi Exposes Him...you Bought Everything!!! / See The Real Face Of Awka ( Anambra State Capital )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.