Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Rio Olympics: The Flops And The Stars - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rio Olympics: The Flops And The Stars (534 Views)

This Guy's Job Is To Distribute Condoms At The RIO Olympics / Serena Williams Loses To Svitolina At Rio Olympics 2016 / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rio Olympics: The Flops And The Stars by rawglobalnews: 10:41am On Aug 27, 2016
The 2016 Olympic Games have come and gone but they threw up a lot of upsets and surprises as well as giving birth to new stars. Idris Adesina takes a look at some of the stars and flops of the 2016 Olympic Games

Team Nigeria ended their campaign at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil, with a bronze medal from the men’s football event. However, the likes of Usain Bolt and Simone Biles led the old and new stars of the championship, while there were also super flops, who before the Games, were tipped to shine.

STARS

Michael Phelps (USA)

Phelps was the most decorated Olympian in history before his arrival in Rio but it didn’t stop the 31-year-old from adding to his medal haul in Brazil. He won gold in the men’s 200m butterfly, 200m individual medley, 4x100m freestyle relay, 4x200m freestyle relay and 4x100m medley relay. Phelps is now the all-time highest Olympic medallist with 28 medals: 23 gold, three silver and two bronze.

Usain Bolt (Jamaica)

The 30-year-old proved to be one of the greatest sprinters ever as he completed an unprecedented “treble treble.” He is yet to be beaten at three Olympics, after he stormed to victory in the men’s 100m, 200m and 4x100m athletic events at Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016.

Wayde Van Niekerk (South Africa)

Another star that emerged from the athletics event of the Rio Games was South African Van Niekerk. The 24-year-old broke the men’s 400m world record in Rio, in style. Competing in lane 8 in the final, Van Niekerk won gold in 43.03secs to break USA’s Michael Johnson’s 17-year-old record by 0.15sec. No athlete in the history of the Games had ever won the 400m from the outside lane.

Read more: http://www.rawglobalnews.net/rio-olympics-flops-stars/

Re: Rio Olympics: The Flops And The Stars by Mikylopez(f): 10:57am On Aug 27, 2016
dear God I really wantu be an athlete...if I don't have the opportunity to be a part of 2020 Olympics den 2024 shud not pass me by
Re: Rio Olympics: The Flops And The Stars by Decentpee(m): 11:24pm On Aug 27, 2016
Mikylopez:
dear God I really wantu be an athlete...if I don't have the opportunity to be a part of 2020 Olympics den 2024 shud not pass me by
lol... Wel, God is always supportive but ya (d)etermination (d)etermines ya (d)estinaton (d)amsel

(1) (Reply)

The wonder Messi / Top 7 CRY BABIES In Football Today / Thrilling Photos From Arsenal Tranning Session Today,Ozil,Chamberl other(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.