Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,621,742 members, 6,110,523 topics. Date: Thursday, 21 January 2021 at 08:31 AM

Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself - Computers (97) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself (106369 Views)

Repair All Laptop Problems (do It Yourself ) / Post Your Laptop Problems / Small Cylinder In Your Laptop Charger: Ever Wondered What It Is For (afriwap) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by Jidonskii(m): 11:03pm On Jan 13
Hello, my Dell laptop which I complained about on this thread some months ago has finally decided not to turn on again whether by battery or AC power. It shows no light, no sign of life in it. This happened after I hibernated it. I had taken it for repair last month to fix a charging problem and why it charges now, it operates slowly when I use it with my charger, now this. It's obvious the technician didn't do a neat job because it looks like the whole power component of the system is messed up. What does this mean exactly? What parts of the laptop could have gone bad?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by LordPherule(m): 6:48pm On Jan 14
Jidonskii:
Hello, my Dell laptop which I complained about on this thread some months ago has finally decided not to turn on again whether by battery or AC power. It shows no light, no sign of life in it. This happened after I hibernated it. I had taken it for repair last month to fix a charging problem and why it charges now, it operates slowly when I use it with my charger, now this. It's obvious the technician didn't do a neat job because it looks like the whole power component of the system is messed up. What does this mean exactly? What parts of the laptop could have gone bad?
I think you need original charger. Nothing more or less.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by LordPherule(m): 6:53pm On Jan 14
Anytime I tampered with the battery of my pc, it always messed with the time setting. I guess that issues with the BIOS cell, how can I check that?

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by bovage(m): 9:42pm On Jan 14
LordPherule:
Anytime I tampered with the battery of my pc, it always messed with the time setting. I guess that issues with the BIOS cell, how can I check that?

CMOS battery = Real time clock (RTC) = BIOS Cell

The cmos battery powers the ROM chip(where BIOS is stored) when the ac adapter or battery is not being used. It ensures the time and date are still working while the laptop is literally off. Hence, why the battery is often called Real time clock. So once the cmos battery is weak or dead, it won't be able to keep counting the date and time when the laptop is literally off. This is when you notice incorrect date and time, system configuration returning to default...etc

Enough of the jargons:

Press F2 key to set the date and time in bios setup and save it.

If this happens again you will have to replace the cmos battery. Loose the back cover of the laptop and look for the cmos battery (looks like a wristwatch battery but it is bigger than that of wristwatch).

1 Like

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by LordPherule(m): 9:27am On Jan 15
bovage:

CMOS battery = Real time clock (RTC) = BIOS Cell

The cmos battery powers the ROM chip(where BIOS is stored) when the ac adapter or battery is not being used. It ensures the time and date are still working while the laptop is literally off. Hence, why the battery is often called Real time clock. So once the cmos battery is weak or dead, it won't be able to keep counting the date and time when the laptop is literally off. This is when you notice incorrect date and time, system configuration returning to default...etc

Enough of the jargons:

Press F2 key to set the date and time in bios setup and save it.

If this happens again you will have to replace the cmos battery. Loose the back cover of the laptop and look for the cmos battery (looks like a wristwatch battery but it is bigger than that of wristwatch).

Thanks so much. I will check for it at a store.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by Jidonskii(m): 10:38am On Jan 15
LordPherule:

I think you need original charger. Nothing more or less.
Nah, I’ve gone to a technician. The issue is with the motherboard
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by bovage(m): 4:56pm On Jan 15
Jidonskii:

Nah, I’ve gone to a technician. The issue is with the motherboard

Did he state the specific issue with the motherboard? Please let us know
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by Jidonskii(m): 1:05am On Jan 16
bovage:

Did he state the specific issue with the motherboard? Please let us know
No, he didn’t. It probably should be the power component of the motherboard. Either way, I’m not repairing it as there’s no guarantee that the issue won’t arise again. I’m replacing it
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here And Get Solution To Fix It Yourself by bovage(m): 8:01am On Jan 16
Jidonskii:

No, he didn’t. It probably should be the power component of the motherboard. Either way, I’m not repairing it as there’s no guarantee that the issue won’t arise again. I’m replacing it

You made a wise decision!

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (Reply)

How To Crack An Encrypted Winrar Archive Without Password? / Gprs Configuration For Glo Network! / Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.