Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 (18100 Views)

Fed Govt To Permanently Shut Open Drug Market By 2018 / Banks In Port-Harcourt Accused Of Electricity Theft (Video) / Dangote Plans To Buy Arsenal F.C. In 4 Years Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by aresa: 11:44pm On Aug 28, 2016
The President, Dangote Industries, Aliko Dangote, has said his company should be able to generate about 12,000 megawatts of electricity for the country by 2018.

He also said that his business estate would start selling foreign exchange to the Central Bank of Nigeria by 2020.

Dangote, who spoke in Lagos on Monday at the Nigerian Economic Summit organised by Economist Events, an arm of The Economist of London, said, “We are looking at a situation that by 2020, we will be the one selling FX to the CBN. Our projects are mainly import substitution. We are working to be self-sufficient to grow about a million tonnes of rice over the next five years.

[b]“Our gas project would have our gas pipelines on the seabed. The output should be able to provide about 12,000MW of power. We see a lot of transformation when we are done with most of our projects by 2018.

“We have 15 countries in the ECOWAS community that are duty-free. The export market is big and profitable if you have the capacity. Players in the manufacturing (sector) should be encouraged to export if they have the capacity. We must also meet local consumption.”

Dangote said the fall in crude oil price was not a curse and that the nation must use the opportunity to explore the potential in other sectors of the economy.

He said, “This is the right moment to pursue the diversification of the economy, which we have been talking about. I know that once oil gets back to $80 per barrel, we will go back to the same misbehaviour.

“But I think this is the right time for that. Government must come up with the right policy, because if we don’t do it now, we may not do it. But low prices do not mean doom. In 1998-1999, the price of oil was $9. What we need to do is just to block the leakages and pursue diversification.”[/b]

According to Dangote, the monthly revenue inflow from oil, which used to be $3.2bn, is now around $1bn, and this has caused a number of challenges for businesses in the country.

“There are some areas where we are facing serious challenges and there are some where we are not. It depends on your business model. If your business model is to import 100 per cent, definitely, you will be facing challenges, because the inflow of foreign exchange is not where it used to be a year and a half ago,” he added.

The Group Managing Director, Access Bank Plc, Mr. Herbert Wigwe, on his part, said a number of manufacturers were facing hard times due to their inability to access forex to buy raw materials.

According to him, there is a need to explore import substitution, while efforts are being made to boost forex supply in the country.

Wigwe said, “We have a lot of manufacturers who have to rely on forex for their raw materials but who are going through tough times. However, are there opportunities? I believe there are. I think it is time for us to move towards import-substitution. But I think we need to do things to support the supply side of forex and liberalise the market.

“Even for those who have to source their raw materials locally, there is a value chain effect. If the entire value chain in a production process is not sorted out, we will have a problem. So, access to foreign currencies for raw materials is important. However, it is important that people start looking at how to use local raw materials to produce.”

The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Mr. Okechukwu Enelamah, said the Federal Government was focusing on creating an enabling business environment to attract investment and fast-track industrialisation.

He noted that efforts were being made to give adequate support to Micro, Small and Medium-scale Enterprises.

Enelamah said, “The key is to create the right incentive, regulation and policy so that people can work with them and do more locally than just importing. The other thing I should mention is that Nigeria has an industrial revolution plan developed by the last government, but the plan needs to be revisited.

“We need to look beyond the rhetorics and actually implement what we are talking about, because I believe that if we implement them, we will get better result.”

The minister added that the government of President Muhammadu Buhari had made employment, local production and inclusive economy growth its top priorities

http://punchng.com/dangote-plans-to-generate-12000mw-of-electricity/

15 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by AroOkigbo(m): 11:45pm On Aug 28, 2016
I believe you, Dangote!
If this message was coming from the government (especially this heartless and unserious APC government), I would be the first to doubt it.

Modified.
Another ftc!
To my pregnant wife and unborn daughter. ..more dedications.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nasa28(m): 11:47pm On Aug 28, 2016
Nigeria and Talk......Na today.??

6 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by daomi(m): 11:47pm On Aug 28, 2016
D
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by alizma: 11:50pm On Aug 28, 2016
one day, it will be Dangote apply to buy Nigeria.
I just pray that when that day come, let it not be that an IPod man is the president.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Oche211(m): 11:51pm On Aug 28, 2016
Good
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by mightyhazell: 11:56pm On Aug 28, 2016
Na wa o! The whole economy just dey dis one man hand oo

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by RealJaneDoe: 12:29am On Aug 29, 2016
Let him just buy Nigeria finish

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by LoveMachine(m): 12:37am On Aug 29, 2016
His magnificent strides towards industrialization of wherever he touches shows the ineptitude of our past governments and further highlights the extreme levels of corruption. Big ups to the Oga for doing it so big. Major disappointment towards the legislators and politicians who have been doing us wrong for decades. This man Dangote is about to give us 12,000 MWs and hasn't touched a fraction of the money the states nor federal gov't coffers have. Probe that!

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by anyimontana(m): 12:40am On Aug 29, 2016
Click 'like' if u believe that talk is as cheap as fresh tomatoes

7 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 12:40am On Aug 29, 2016
Black Ab0ki from kano is about purchasing Nigeria from refining industry to generation of power. From cement production to Rice company. God Bless this Hausa Man. Richest African, Richest Muslim on the content. Richest Black African.

49 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by aresa: 12:42am On Aug 29, 2016
We have 10,000MW installed capacity and our target is to attain 20,000MW by 2020

With Dangote's 12,000MW, it means we are going to attain that target even before 2020..

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by kabman: 12:59am On Aug 29, 2016
Hope the projects dont get delayed.dangote selling fx to our central bank,the countrt is finished.

4 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by aresa: 1:07am On Aug 29, 2016
kabman:
Hope the projects dont get delayed.dangote selling fx to our central bank,the countrt is finished.

The FG gave him 10% forex to build refinery, gas plant petrochemical plant and fertilizer plant and Igbos said Nigeria is finished.

Dangote built all his plants and offered to sell back the forex to Nigeria and Igbos said Nigeria is finished...

I don't even know how such a beautiful thing like us earning forex instead of exporting forex means something bad, terrible and dangerous...

Igbos really are realretards I swear... grin

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by obailala(m): 1:08am On Aug 29, 2016
All hail the king!

Dangote is the government we never had.

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by obailala(m): 1:10am On Aug 29, 2016
mightyhazell:
Others still dey sleep.
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by SamuelAnyawu(m): 1:22am On Aug 29, 2016
Nasa28:
Nigeria and Talk......Na today.??
Dangote is a man of his words

8 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by tit(f): 1:41am On Aug 29, 2016
tinubu is watching him
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by anyimontana(m): 2:07am On Aug 29, 2016
aresa:

The FG gave him 10% forex to build refinery, gas plant petrochemical plant and fertilizer plant and Igbos said Nigeria is finished.

Dangote built all his plants and offered to sell back the forex to Nigeria and Igbos said Nigeria is finished...

I don't even know how such a beautiful thing like us earning forex instead of exporting forex means something bad, terrible and dangerous...

Igbos really are realretards I swear... grin

12 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by mikolo80: 5:57am On Aug 29, 2016
mightyhazell:
who hold you

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 6:05am On Aug 29, 2016
I so much believe Dangote, all that matters to me is the location of the power plants.
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 29, 2016
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 29, 2016
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 29, 2016
aresa:

PDP gave dangote the enabling environment so stop jubilations

10 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Oasis007(m): 6:20am On Aug 29, 2016
This ought to be a good News to all..... but some People would still be so sad waking up this Monday Morning, logging in their account and seeing this news!

You know why?!

It's simply a bad news to them, coz they enjoy calling Fashola - Minister of Darkness - and do not want him to succeed in this administration!

Secondly, the Refinery is in the South-West Nigeria, which means by 2018 the Region will be enjoying 24hrs uninterrupted Power Supply if the Project worked out as planned!

Finally, the Refinery and it's Assets are safe, and this will encourage more Industrialists, foreign Investors to locate their businesses in the Region.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by QuotaSystem: 6:20am On Aug 29, 2016
Anyone still asking the good that can come from the North?

This man is simply Nigeria's earthly messiah going by the projects and plans he has. Apart from building the largest single refinery on earth which will satisfy our entire national daily consumption and leave enough for export (thereby earning forex), he also will help the Naira recovery by simultaneously reducing our import bill and reducing scarcity of dollars.

Consider the thousands of jobs that will be created directly and indirectly and one will understand why accolades continue to follow the Mallam's brilliance.

God bless Alhaji Aliko.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Histrings08(m): 6:20am On Aug 29, 2016
Mr dangote, don't worry some people will still doubt u, Tz not their fault, they've bn scam before... we love u Buh pls keep to ur promise o

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 6:21am On Aug 29, 2016
SmartChoices:
Make I no book space again?
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Larryfest(m): 6:25am On Aug 29, 2016
When you mention Dangote just know you are talking about business the guy is too much... But all this no go end for monopoly so

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 6:25am On Aug 29, 2016
can I also book in peace?
Bolustic:

Make I no book space again?
Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 29, 2016
Please what are other big men doing with their money. Can't they too make some reasonable investment especially our Japan of Africa brothers, are they only good in importing fake China goods.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018 by Funlordjnr: 6:32am On Aug 29, 2016
cheesy

Hausas to the rescue as usual!

Tazarce baba na!

**sips tuwo shin kafa shake**

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation / Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy / What Is Your Greatest Challenge In Importation Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.