Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria (8688 Views)

Which Programming Language Is Best For Building An Hospital Management Software / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Please Which Programming Language Does Nigerian Institutions Use ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by TCDURU(m): 3:17am On Oct 04, 2009
My beloved NLanders, which Programming Language holds brighter prospects in today's Nigeria?
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 11:55am On Oct 04, 2009
Probably PHP - It is ubiquitious and doesn't cost you a dime and pretty much every host out there supports it (and mySQL)
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 04, 2009
Well not hosting for cheap prices is the matter. But the solution to any application problems can only be determined by what language can best solve the problem. Also all programming languages have their Limitations.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 04, 2009
php can.t be the best.for one reason it.s loose type.i think the best is c++ With qt.It allows intergratn with other platform.But php no argue is best web development tool.[color=][/color]
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 05, 2009
Well i still remain on my stand. One can't conclude that a particular programming language is the best.It all depends on what you want to achieve and how fast you can achieve it. Precisely PHP is not the best web development tool but on can conclude that it is the most widely used web development language, it also has it's limitation. Try other tools like JSP,ASP.NET,PERL,Ruby on Rails,Coldfusion e.t.c,
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 9:55am On Oct 05, 2009
I think the keyword here is "today's nigeria".  When I see that:

1) I am thinking what can be easily learned at the lowest cost
2) I am thinking what most of the applications in Nigeria are written with
3) I am thinking what probably has the lowest learning curve, at least to get one's feet wet
4) I am thinking infrastructure that would enable someone to learn any language the quickest (coding environment, hosting (if for the web) and its associated costs, books, etc)

In other words, I am not thinking what language is best overall.  None is, when it boils down to it.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses and besides, has been hashed out over and over on here that it is boring.

Again, let's think "in today's Nigeria".

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 05, 2009
I will rather go with yawatide. By the way, i handle both software and website building. . .maybe we should vote
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:13pm On Oct 05, 2009
For web development, PHP/MySQL is the easiest technology to be productive with.
The problem is that you have to learn PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS, and Javascript.
The days of working with one general-purpose language are long gone. Sadly.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by bidemi12(m): 11:32pm On Oct 05, 2009
Personaly i prefer A/B/C or 1/2/3 and sometimes do/re/mi. It has proven to be a success for me in the past. grin
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Beaf: 5:17am On Oct 06, 2009
It really depends on your target market. Either choose the right tool for the job at hand or target a market that fits the tool you have expertise in.

Here's some general advice:
If you are building home pages and other small stuff, scripting languages like Ruby and PHP, MySql, text files, MS Access are fine.
If your development is targeted at run off the mill, bog standard enterprise websites; java is ok if your target market is a bit hampered by cost. C++ is a mismatch for the web, don't go there.
For the top range web market, nothing out there can touch ASP.NET for a blend of raw power and rapid development; this includes highly scalable banking and transactional websites, massively multiplayer gaming sites etc.

For database servers; the most popular are MSSql Server and MySql. MSSql Server beats MySql by a very wide margin; but Oracle is by far the best performer (also, the most complicated).
There are other database server types like DB2 and PostgreSQL, you can simply walk past these ones; don't waste your time.

Whatever you do in life, never target the PHP/MySql combination on high traffic, always available sites that must scale; or you will shed many bitter tears. cool
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by MUZBO(m): 5:48am On Oct 06, 2009
Whatever gets you by the day
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by bumdish: 8:23am On Oct 06, 2009
@Beaf: That was a very sound analysis only that I would not completely agree with your php/mysql assertion. It isnt that bad. I work in an enterprise enviroment with .net, php & coldfusion developers; for me, PHP applications remains the most stable of all. A whole lot depends on the developers/administrators of this systems.

@TCDURU, I think your question is quite vargue. You might realy need to be specific and clear on what "brighter prospects" means to you. Do you mean Job Oppurtunity, Cost, Infrastructure, Market demand, Academic relevance etc, else this thread would leave you more confused.

Remain Good.

1 Like

Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nezan(m): 10:42am On Oct 06, 2009
huh??
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by scottN(m): 11:23am On Oct 06, 2009
It all depends on the business needs and requirements of the project. If it's just a simple website that has to do with web presence and simple database operations then PHP/MySQL is the way but for enterprise applications that has to do with the business process of any organization then Java or .NET is the ideal development platform. However I mentioned Java and .NET because they are the most popular platforms in this part of d world. If one does a worldwide research you will find other enterprise languages.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 06, 2009
I will watch and learn, but I enjoy PHP/MySQL/Javascript. Sorry to say but apparently PHP is the lead, both in Nigeria and worldwide (Most used).
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by scottN(m): 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2009
The only edge PHP has over other languages is in the area of CMS frameworks.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Gannzter(m): 12:27pm On Oct 06, 2009
As far as web development goes, PHP and MySQL rules the world in my humble opinion. Handling everything from forms, galleries, flash, database building and quering - not to mention the best CMS are built with PHP. After HTML, if you dont understand php, you are lost!!. PERIOD - FULL STOP

For the development of programs however, thats another story: PHP (is certainly not in the picture here) but I wanted to build a simple program the other day and somewhere between Java and C++ I couldnt quite get what I wanted. The answer should be easy to find: For php the logic is that some of the most used websites are Php based - websites like Facebook for instance. How about programmes, what language was used to build your favourite programs, me I'm a gamer: so I know it probably is beyond one language to be the ONE.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by webmonkey(m): 1:56pm On Oct 06, 2009

Nigeria IT market is diversified. Like Nigeria, it moves with current thread of the economy. Many IT company in Nigeria today are either vendors or partners for foreign manufacturer. It is sad but that is the case in Nigeria.

No matter how good your locally manufactured software looks and sound, it will not go off the shelve. The reason for this is corruption. Foreign software are more expensive and would attract more dollar or pounds when a proposal is brought forward for acquisition. Naira cannot compete and the question of competency and reliability comes in.

However, if you look at Nigeria market as of today, the sector that heavily use software are the banking , telecom and FIRA (Federal Inland Revenue Service).
These companies uses very sophisticated application software, like ATM, Core Banking Systems (Flex Cube, Globus, Finnacle, Phoenis, Basis, Equation etc.) TI Plus+, ECM, Softsmart etc.
All these applications are written in C/C++ or Visual Basic. Just a few Java. Let me tell you why they use C/C++ or Visual Basic. Microsoft have a branch in Lagos and they have made sure that most of these major sectors uses Microsoft Server OS powered by Microsoft servers. IBM is entering the fast market, they now have office in Lagos. They have started selling AIX, etc to banks and telecom. IBM now partners with most foreign application developers to make sure that their processes runs with websphere, meridian, MQSeries or DB2 making sure that all interfaces and COM+ development are avaliable within Microsoft environment to interface with their application.
Although IBM do not write application solution but many requirement for deploying something like Treasury application for a Nigeria major Bank using solution like TI server (Trade Innovation), even foreign Operation like LC (Letters of Credit), clean payment for retail will require a very big application solution manufacturer like Misys http://www.misys.com. TI is written in J2EE with HTML for front-end and MQSeries for messaging and Oracle/MSSQL/Sybase for database choice. But all API interface with other legacy systems like ECM, Imaging and Core Banking will need a Visual Basic or C#, J# developer.
Finally, for you to succeed in Nigeria, the best programming language to learn is VB and C++ or C# particularly VB (Visual Basic)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by ogbongzky(m): 5:43pm On Oct 06, 2009
am skilling up right now in JAVA PROGRAMMING and i am looking forward to the future market and not just the present market, RUBY and RAILS, PHYTON are programming languages u have to consider too considering the fact that social media applications are written with siuch languages, nevertheless, C++ , VISUAL BASIC etc are still tight, what amtters is for you to SKILL UP,
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:14am On Oct 07, 2009
it does not matter much because the present situation in Nigeria has blown a big gap in the market for IT services, there are tons of opportunities for php, asp, flash, c++ c# .NET,COBOL etc
?
and the indians are have not moved in yet
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Ghenghis(m): 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2009
Java

and then .NET (with Nuke, sharepoint etc.) for Web portals.
PHP is used by smaller shops (and it can be used with Java and .NET portals) but if you're looking at total IT spend on software its simply Java.

if you sample the telcos and banks, most apps are simply Java, those that were developed in C++ in the early 90s are being migrated to Java.

If you look at the type of applications and hardware platforms used in the enterprise , u'll find mostly Solaris, AIX and HP UX (and some Linux). These
platforms are not ready for .NET so Java has the run of the field.

Windows OSes are used mostly for exchange, active directory, Lotus notes etc. But vertical apps generally run on NIX boxes. smiley
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2009
some ppl are underestimating php here. maybe due to their limited knowlege of the language sha
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by sangosimo: 5:54am On Oct 08, 2009
python, google runs on python for a reason
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 08, 2009
You people are getting it all wrong. The question does not say, which programming language is the best or rather the best for web.
NIGERIA + PROGRAMMING!!! Ha ba! For someone that works with python and someone that works with php, which one holds better
prospects (opportunities, job. . . .) here for 9ja!!

And again, notice the poster stated clearly that programming which covers everything, from desktop applications to websites (of course web applications).

Ghenghis:

Java

and then .NET (with Nuke, sharepoint etc.) for Web portals.
PHP is used by smaller shops (and it can be used with Java and .NET portals) but if you're looking at total IT spend on software its simply Java.

if you sample the telcos and banks, most apps are simply Java, those that were developed in C++ in the early 90s are being migrated to Java.

If you look at the type of applications and hardware platforms used in the enterprise , u'll find mostly Solaris, AIX and HP UX (and some Linux). These
platforms are not ready for .NET so Java has the run of the field.

Windows OSes are used mostly for exchange, active directory, Lotus notes etc. But vertical apps generally run on NIX boxes. smiley

Much more better.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by candylips(m): 5:50pm On Oct 08, 2009
@webmonkey

your post makes the most sense. I don't understand why people in nigeria seem to think

website development = software development .
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 7:05pm On Oct 08, 2009
I am happy you said "people in Nigeria" because it does, IMHO  cool

what is web development technically but software development for the web. Even the wiki, though I wouldn't necessarily regard it as an authority, says as much wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software

For naija, we too dey like title and to dey use title downgrade people unnecessarily.  This to me is a defense mechanism to mask something the downgrading party doesn't want others to know.  Platform should be no discriminating factor when it comes to programming.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 08, 2009
Now i wonder why my post got deleted, did i break any rules?
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 11:01pm On Oct 08, 2009
Based on the responses here, especially from the IT folks in Nigeria, it certainly looks like PHP is it. So, you may well go that route. However, if down the road you want to learn programming or even think about developing enterprise level web applications, I think learning Java/.NET will definitely be a good way to go. No one is saying any one language is better than the other. Just use the one you need to get the job at hand done.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by areaboi: 7:22am On Oct 09, 2009
@ webmonkey,that was a positive article.True talk for those venturing in naija's software industry.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2009
In my lost post (maybe i posted it in my dreams), i was sayin that php is not necessarily the best lang or web lang, but that it is quite popular in nigeria.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Afam(m): 8:29am On Oct 10, 2009
@topic,

PHP.

Every single programming language has its pros and cons so it really depends on your ability to learn and master a programming language to the extent you can use it to implement any logic you want to implement.

It is not by accident that about 70% of web applications out there run on PHP and it is not by accident that the most popular (or visited) Nigeria website is Nairaland which runs on PHP.

Feel free to see comments condemning PHP as unnecessary distractions especially by people who don't understand or know the language well.
Re: Which Programming Language Holds Brighter Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 11, 2009
Exactly exam, that just says it all!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Female Programmers In The House? / How To Create A Simple Calculator Using Java Programing Language GUI / Access Bank Mobile App Redesign (work In Progress)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.