Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway (13463 Views)

Buhari Award $5.8 Billion Mambila Dam Power Plant Contract To Chinese State Firm / Reps Probe Award Of Multi-billion Naira Contract To 5-day-old Firm / Obiano Moves To Construct Railway In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Reference(m): 12:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Kano state and working Governors

They always produce quality leadership because they are pragmatic, politically aware and independent minded bordering on the radical. No governor finds it easy to handle that state and must perform just to maintain control. Even military administrators never had smooth sailing thoughtless of the nepotism and godfatherism that has stifled other states.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 12:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
Dollyak:

It has the worst PMI (purchasing managers' index ) out of the major states in Nigeria, which pretty much settles it. Let's not talk about IGR or growth outlook shall we.

Madam economist, na you get time, you can ask your governor to start his rail project and we will commend him too, ok?

3 Likes

Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by CSTR2: 12:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
Goke7:

oga, nobody fit hijack aso rock o, na elections dem dey win go there. I wish them good luck in their hijacking grin

it took Obj to get GEJ there but when I see my ss and se brothers abusing Obj, I laugh in spanish.
Don't feign ignorance with me. I have no patience with such.
Is it a habit of Yoruba people to change discourse when the issues become too intellectual.? You said northern governors are leveraging on buhari to get unequal federal govt spending to their region, and I agree that a precedence has being set.
A future SE/SS president would see such precedence honoured with probably greater ferocity which would be deserved anyway. So what is all this talk of OBJ and shitt?
Can OBJ stop the SE/SS from ever becoming president?
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by baba11(m): 12:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nowadays,lagos leads the way..others follow suite#otherstates#development!!!!!
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by aresa: 12:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
CSTR2:
$1.85b to china for a country lacking dollars and under serious economic repression? Are you sure Nigerians have sense at all?.
Why not use those monies for local construction companies even if it means much smaller projects? Kano state with millions of almajiris and widespread poverty surely has a lot of things she could do with that money instead of sending it to china.

The rail project is set to create tons of jobs for the people of kano and the economic transformation and benefits across the board brings more benefits a million times more than your myopic, shallow and shortsighted comment.

I know it's a fad on to badmouth progress and development in other places outside your zero project villages, but it's not by force to always bore us with your lame and unintelligent rants..

1 Like

Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by CSTR2: 12:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
Goke7:

why are you lying? most of the food you dey chop, where do you think they are from? From Mars abi grin

When Okorocha de tell una home truth, una say im be okorohausa abi? Honestly you guys preferred to be lied to
Seriously? This is supposed to be an intelligent response?
Kano state alone contributes so much food that would warrant such massive mega federal spending and yet Nigeria spent billions of dollars in food imports yearly? What then does the other northern states contributes?
Billions of dollars generated from oil, some of which was explored from two south eastern states and customs levied from south eastern importers and exporters.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Reference(m): 12:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
CSTR2:
$1.85b to china for a country lacking dollars and under serious economic repression? Are you sure Nigerians have sense at all?.
Why not use those monies for local construction companies even if it means much smaller projects? Kano state with millions of almajiris and widespread poverty surely has a lot of things she could do with that money instead of sending it to china.

Another point of note and like I said before, a recession is not the time to do technology transfer but provide basic nuts and bolts, brick and mortar infrastructure and except if the deal is an investment or a grant, whatever monies will be paid should remain in Nigeria by all means. This means Nigerian workers, Nigerian materials and Nigerian technology if possible. Now is not the time to bleed foreign exchange particularly on a project which has no potential to generate foreign exchange. Here I will distinguish it from what Dangote for example is doing. CBN should intervene and do due diligence that it will not be a conduit for shady deals in capital tripping.

1 Like

Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by EazyMoh(m): 12:52pm On Sep 02, 2016
goke7 9jii yomz1e
First of all you can't claim Kano more than me. My dad was a true Bakano, though I now use Jigawa state. I presently permanently live in Kano. So my comment is out of love I have for the state.
Am not saying the rail system is a bad idea, what am saying it's a misplaced priority. FYI the rail is only gonna move within Kano metropolis, so it's not gonna affect movement of products as some of you claim.
With the newly built flyovers in the city, there's almost nowhere you can spend up to 10minutes in a traffic hold up, and the transport fare is also cheap. I can get from Yan Kaba to BUK New site with just N200 and within a short time. Compare that with last year's tomato glut when a full basket you can't lift sold for as low as N400, imagine if provision for processing was established how much the economy of the farmers and the state would have improved.
It's like the proverbial your house is on fire and you are chasing rats.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by CSTR2: 12:52pm On Sep 02, 2016
aresa:

The rail project is set to create tons of jobs for the people of kano and the economic transformation and benefits across the board brings more benefits a million times more than your myopic, shallow and shortsighted comment.

I know it's a fad on to badmouth progress and development in other places outside your zero project villages, but it's not by force to always bore us with your lame and unintelligent rants..
Another unintelligent bullshitt.
I didn't expect anything better from a tinubu photographer.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by CSTR2: 12:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
Reference:

Another point of note and like I said before, a recession is not the time to do technology transfer but provide basic nuts and bolts, brick and mortar infrastructure and except if the deal is an investment or a grant, whatever monies will be paid should remain in Nigeria by all means. This means Nigerian workers, Nigerian materials and Nigerian technology if possible. Now is not the time to bleed foreign exchange particularly on a project which has no potential to generate foreign exchange. Here I will distinguish it from what Dangote for example is doing. CBN should intervene and do due diligence that it will not be a conduit for shady deals in capital tripping.
An intelligent response.
Exactly my point.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by ifenes(m): 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
CSTR2:

I agree with you. Nigeria is a place where common sense is absent. Useless country!
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 12:58pm On Sep 02, 2016
CSTR2:
Is it a habit of Yoruba people to change discourse when the issues become too intellectual.? You said northern governors are leveraging on buhari to get unequal federal govt spending to their region, and I agree that a precedence has being set.
A future SE/SS president would see such precedence honoured with probably greater ferocity which would be deserved anyway. So what is all this talk of OBJ and shitt?

You see, that is where you guys always shoot over the bar, disparaging others to project your point and that's how you started with the topic of this thread. If this topic was 10 people die in kano, how wonderful it would have been, but then kano is doing a project and you suddenly remember that they are not productive enough to warrant such abi.

You guys have suddenly forgotten how easy it was for ss and se states to access funds under GEJ such as the ecological funds when other states from other parts of the country could not. It was not a sin then and no visible project is there to see even in the ss and se with all those funds. You guys are just bias simple, as far as you are concerned, others can go to hell if you are ok.

1 Like

Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 1:00pm On Sep 02, 2016
EazyMoh:
goke7 9jii yomz1e
First of all you can't claim Kano more than me. My dad was a true Bakano, though I now use Jigawa state. I presently permanently live in Kano. So my comment is out of love I have for the state.
Am not saying the rail system is a bad idea, what am saying it's a misplaced priority. FYI the rail is only gonna move within Kano metropolis, so it's not gonna affect movement of products as some of you claim.
With the newly built flyovers in the city, there's almost nowhere you can spend up to 10minutes in a traffic hold up, and the transport fare is also cheap. I can get from Yan Kaba to BUK New site with just N200 and within a short time. Compare that with last year's tomato glut when a full basket you can't lift sold for as low as N400, imagine if provision for processing was established how much the economy of the farmers and the state would have improved.

must Kano be congested before they can have light rail? haba is rail the only thing the state govt will do?
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Reference(m): 1:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
Goke7:

stop beefing, bruv, rail transport is one of the things that will easily diversify the economy as goods can be moved easily at a cheaper rate thereby having a spill effect on any state's economy.

Anything rail is a welcome idea, it brings faster development, our politicians are finally waking up to see the benefit of rail system, just wait and see when the Lagos light rail will be completed and you'll see the effects on the economy.

We should commend what's good and not pull down unnecessarily, GEJ still get commendations for reviving the rail system and I think anyone who doing the same should be applauded too.

I don't think it is beef or any other meat product but simple reality. A project that can be fundamentally important still has a question of timing because we face a situation of either or and you will have to view this in the national context or national interest since Kano state does not generate forex independently. The Federal government throguh the CBN may consider it unviable at this point in time. But what Government should be doing is not just to focus on cost saving signature projects like these only but give equal if not more emphasis on production, mass employment, export oriented projects at this point in time. Afterall 1.8 billion dollars is a heck of a lot of money in naira terms these days.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Dollyak(f): 1:05pm On Sep 02, 2016
Goke7:

Madam economist, na you get time, you can ask your governor to start his rail project and we will commend him too, ok?
This isn't about being an economist nor it is about being sentimental as you are now. Anyone can build a rail project if it is being funded by the federal government. I suppose the question is whether they are viable in the said states, which is something that needs to be debate. Will you justify such rail project if Ekiti states was to build one? because this project isn't anymore viable in Kano than it is in Ekiti or other states. There is simply little or no argument for it, at least so far.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 1:07pm On Sep 02, 2016
CSTR2:
Seriously? This is supposed to be an intelligent response?
Kano state alone contributes so much food that would warrant such massive mega federal spending and yet Nigeria spent billions of dollars in food imports yearly? What then does the other northern states contributes?
Billions of dollars generated from oil, some of which was explored from two south eastern states and customs levied from south eastern importers and exporters.

so we produce no food in Nigeria abi? do you know how many we are in this country? if you say our local production cannot meet our local demand, yes I agree. The Problem is that you guys have been made to believe that they do nothing in the north hence you are bitter when you hear projects like this. its like saying because we import majority of the fish we consumed, then there is no fishing going on in all our water bodies in Nigeria.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Reference(m): 1:09pm On Sep 02, 2016
EazyMoh:
goke7 9jii yomz1e

Thank you. It is not beef or chicken or turkey but mere common sense. Transport is a great force multiplier but will you buy a car, truck or van now or put the money into production of the goods you want to transport anyway. Production is down everywhere. Transport will make business more profitable. It wouldn't in itself create business. Government's priority now is to generate production, wealth before it thinks of enhancing profitability and ease of doing it. Its priority should be partnering with the privates to get people to work making stuff. Agric related infrastructure should be top priority now.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 1:11pm On Sep 02, 2016
Dollyak:

This isn't about being an economist nor it is about being sentimental as you are now. Anyone can build a rail project if it is being funded by the federal government. I suppose the question is whether they are viable in the said states, which is something that needs to be debate. Will you justify such rail project if Ekiti states was to build one? because this project isn't anymore viable in Kano than it is in Ekiti or other states. There is simply little or no argument for it, at least so far.

you are definitely biased especially from your Ekiti angle, its laughable you know grin. Rail projects are viable anywhere, it opens up villages and towns that you think are not viable. What a funny response from you. grin
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by engrshakespeare: 1:13pm On Sep 02, 2016
CSTR2:
Shut the hell up, you ignorant doofus.
1.85billion dollars to china. What a wonderful achievement.

Relax, the whole money is never paid at once. Bulk will be paid by the Chinese Government in form of loans in tranches which will be repaid in tranches. Before It is repaid in full d rail should be fully operational and generating income.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 1:13pm On Sep 02, 2016
Reference:

I don't think it is beef or any other meat product but simple reality. A project that can be fundamentally important still has a question of timing because we face a situation of either or and you will have to view this in the national context or national interest since Kano state does not generate forex independently. The Federal government throguh the CBN may consider it unviable at this point in time. But what Government should be doing is not just to focus on cost saving signature projects like these only but give equal if not more emphasis on production, mass employment, export oriented projects at this point in time. Afterall 1.8 billion dollars is a heck of a lot of money in naira terms these days.

The value a rail project brings is un-quantifiable, your argument does not hold water. Its like saying a road project in an hamlet or village is not viable. Very funny
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:19pm On Sep 02, 2016
Reference:

They always produce quality leadership because they are pragmatic, politically aware and independent minded bordering on the radical. No governor finds it easy to handle that state and must perform just to maintain control. Even military administrators never had smooth sailing thoughtless of the nepotism and godfatherism that has stifled other states.

That is to show that people of the south especially the SS DON'T know what they want
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Reference(m): 1:20pm On Sep 02, 2016
Goke7:

The value a rail project brings is un-quantifiable, your argument does not hold water. Its like saying a road project in an hamlet or village is not viable. Very funny

Timing. I know the value of infrastructure but I also know the value of resource management and when things are this critical you have got to consider your options properly and prioritise. Do you know the value of the dollar next year or the price of oil. If you can't then you should eject sentiments from your psyche and spend cautiously. That's all.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by jpphilips(m): 1:21pm On Sep 02, 2016
EazyMoh:
Misplaced priority if you ask me. We shall all focus on production, production and production. Even our agricultural produce if properly processed can generate jobs and revenue for the state. Kano is not congested at all to deserve such project.

Huge government spending on infrastructural development stimulate the economy in recession, damn!! you don't know that?
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Dollyak(f): 1:25pm On Sep 02, 2016
Goke7:

you are definitely biased especially from your Ekiti angle, its laughable you know grin. Rail projects are viable anywhere, it opens up villages and towns that you think are not viable. What a funny response from you. grin
Okay, maybe the comparison was a bit of a stretch. However, Kano need a solid economic drive rather than a rail project IMO. I hope I am wrong and this rail project serves as a Up kick in Kano's economic drive.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Reference(m): 1:28pm On Sep 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

That is to show that people of the south especially the SS DON'T know what they want

And that's why we say that the quality of the people reflects in the quality of leadership and in turn reflects on the returns of governance, 'the dividends' of democracy. The people are ultimately responsible for the government they get. The reasons why ths south has this problem can be traced to ancient Nigerian history but it has not been helped by the Nigerian state since independence. However under democracy the south is beginning to find its feet. With time pragmatism will take root and spread.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 1:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
Reference:

Timing. I know the value of infrastructure but I also know the value of resource management and when things are this critical you have got to consider your options properly and prioritise. Do you know the value of the dollar next year or the price of oil. If you can't then you should eject sentiments from your psyche and spend cautiously. That's all.

This is the excuse PMB gave when he cancelled the Lagos rail project when he was military head of state back in the 80s. So many are yet to forgive him on that. Something tells me he is trying to redeem himself from that shameful error with the various rail projects he has been approving since he became President last year.

All you are saying is grammar, if nothing is done you guys will come up here to say the govt has no direction and is a failure.

Sometimes as Nigerians we over criticize and over analyze with nothing to show which is why we are where we are today.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by aresa: 1:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
[s]
CSTR2:
Another unintelligent bullshitt.
I didn't expect anything better from a tinubu photographer.

[/s]

And what do you think we expect from bitter, angry and disgruntled villagers with nothing going on or to show from their village?

You losers must think the people of Kano owe your villages a can of Garri..

You spend your whole life hating other people while they progress while your own village can not even afford to join 2 blocks together to build a common dog cage...
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Goke7: 1:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
Dollyak:

Okay, maybe the comparison was a bit of a stretch. However, Kano need a solid economic drive rather than a rail project IMO. I hope I am wrong and this rail project serves as a Up kick in Kano's economic drive.

Now you are talking, I do appreciate your honest concerns, we must start from somewhere, we pray other states come up with their infrastructure drive to kick up economic drive as you have said. I will support rail project in any state in Nigeria than airports.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Reference(m): 1:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
jpphilips:

Huge government spending on infrastructural development stimulate the economy in recession, damn!! you don't know that?

Not if it is China. They do it all. They have an unemployed population ten times that of Nigeria, they produce EVERYTHING, and are miserly in renumeration and procurement. I have little hope it will create anything like micro economy beyond food vendors and cigarette hawkers. If the government wants the project to enhance the economy of Kano state directly, it should execute by direct labour and insist on local content. The benefits of the project are not in earnings but cost savings because all monies are in naira and it is government so will be most likely welfarist.
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by rusher14: 1:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
CSTR2:

[b]There's nothing like that.

There are various components that make up state allocation - landmass, population size, IGR, social equality factor and of course equality which is 40% entire budget allocation.

Note that Federal budgets are passed through the national assembly, in which all constituent members of the house argue their case, horse trade and as we have witnessed, padded the budget to the gains of their respective constituency or personal benefits.

At the end, states do not gain much advantage from the presidency in terms of funding.

You may argue that states having closer ties to the presidency have greater chances of getting the administrative nod for the commencement of projects and I wouldn't deny that but such is the way with democracy especially as practised in our environment.

The SS might then begin to rue the fact that for close to 6 years and in the time of unprecedented oil wealth, very little was done to improve the wellbeing of her indigenous people.

What legacy infrastructure would Uduaghan really say he left for his people?

Let's not talk about Bayelsa state.

At the end infrastructure is most welcomed in any part of the country.

However, there must be a plan for payments and sustainability not only of the project but to the people and environment in which it is situated.

To the issue of OBJ deciding our past presidents it is well known the role he played he picking Yar'adua and Jonathan as joint ticket holders.

The preferred VP from SS then was Donald Duke but for whatever reason it wasn't to be.

At the end of the day we can see how it panned out.

[/b]
http://lawnigeria.com/LawsoftheFederation/ALLOCATION-OF-REVENUE-(FEDERATION-ACCOUNT,-ETC.)-ACT.html
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by aresa: 1:42pm On Sep 02, 2016
Reference:

In economic down times, governments spends heavy on infrastructures, seek investments to generate jobs and boost economic activities, but on NL and according to lame, shallow and unintelligent people, economic down time is the time not to invest or seek investments and also not to create jobs..

Nigerian youths are so mentally warped, backward thinking and grossly shallow and it's sickening and disheartening..
Re: Ganduje Awards $1.85b Contract To China To Construct Kano Light Railway by Guyman02: 1:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
Goke7:

stop beefing, bruv, rail transport is one of the things that will easily diversify the economy as goods can be moved easily at a cheaper rate thereby having a spill effect on any state's economy.

Anything rail is a welcome idea, it brings faster development, our politicians are finally waking up to see the benefit of rail system, just wait and see when the Lagos light rail will be completed and you'll see the effects on the economy.

We should commend what's good and not pull down unnecessarily, GEJ still get commendations for reviving the rail system and I think anyone who doing the same should be applauded too.

Give the job to a local reputable company and source the slippers from Ajaokuta Steel, it will make more economic sense.
A country in recession does not outsource jobs with scarce resources; build capital projects and infrstructure that most of the materials can be can be sourced locally so that the money circulates

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EndSARS Riots Aftermath: Over 2,200 Businesses Apply For Lagos Recovery Fund / Fani-Kayode: Some APC Members May Be Working For Atiku (Video) / Money Laundering: Court Frees Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.