Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do (1804 Views)

Different Types Of Nigerian Mothers (MEME COLLECTION) / The Top 10 Youngest Mothers In History And Their Ages / 6 Hilarious Ways Nigerian Mothers Make Conversation With Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by girlfromafrica: 4:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
Most newly married couples, especially the wives, don’t know how to handle their mothers-in-law especially because they can be a real pain. This is mostly because of the troubles caused by these mothers-in-law. In fact, a few ladies tend to wish them dead; though it is not a very good thing because we all have mothers and don’t ever want to let them go even when they are old.

Some mothers-in-law tend to be extremely mean and try to do all they can to frustrate their children’s spouses. As a result, most young couple tend to dread being visited by their mothers in-law.

Some mothers in-law are not exactly wicked but they can be intrusive causing young couples untold heart-ache. Mothers in-law are supposed to be mentors, care givers and supporters but some women don’t simply understand this.

Here are some of the annoying things mothers-in-law do;

They give unsolicited advice

An intrusive mother-in-law will make it her duty to know what is happening in your home. Even when her opinion is uncalled for and unwanted, she will chip in her advice. She makes sure things go the way she thinks they should. If not, there’s going to be a war.

They visit without prior notice

Some mothers-in-law show up at your house without notifying you of intentions to visit. What’s more? You are expected to be happy seeing her; otherwise, you are sin for the “unwelcome in my son’s house” drama.

Mothers-in-law like this, stay for as long as possible making sure to choke you with their presence. You also have to go out of your way to satisfy her or risk being labeled as evil.

They over-stay their welcome

Under certain circumstances, when a woman gives birth in Nigeria, her mother-in-law is expected to come help her with the new baby and put her through the basics of taking care of the baby. This event is called ‘Omugwo’. Some mothers in-law will not leave, they will stay until the child grows teeth and begins to walk. This results in the couple getting frustrated. Their visit also puts a strain on their relationship.

They cause strife in a home

A mean mother-in-law will poke into your affairs. She will grumble about the way you waste resources and the way spend your money then she’ll call your partner’s attention to your flaws. She’ll make sure she reports you at every chance she has. Some will encourage their sons, to hide things from their wives or even recommend that they teach you a lesson by beating you.

They are hard to please

Some mothers-in-law tend to be unnecessarily difficult. They are hard to please. It is either your food is salty or tasteless, or filled with pepper. You decide to buy food from them from a restaurant, they term you to be a bad cook or wasteful.

They want to be everything

Some mothers-in-law feel they are in competition with their you the moment they step into your house. If she sees you having a good time with your spouse, she decides to send you on an errand and by the time you are back, she has taken your spot and you are displaced.

She might also bring up topics you know nothing of and indirectly cut you off from that discussion. Women like that want be the mother, mother-in-law, and wife at the same. Everything has to be about her.

They become jealous of you

This happens especially when she became a widow and had to take care of her son (usually an only son or child) by herself and the son later gets married to another woman. She feels she no longer has her son’s attention, she feels threatened that her place in her son’s life will be replaced by his wife.

A Mother in-law like these can be extremely dangerous because she can go to any length to reclaim her position in her son’s life. The wife here is in danger if her husband doesn’t have a mind of his own and is easily controlled by his mother.

Being over protective of their child

Some mothers-in-law tend to be so over protective of their sons. They will first taste their son’s food before you serve him. They inspect your matrimonial bed and room and question every little you do as a wife. Their punch line for this one is “do you know how I suffered for my son?”

SEE MORE @ https://idonsabi.com/2016/08/30/top-10-annoying-things-nigerian-mothers-in-law-do/

Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
Is it just a Nigerian thing?
I very much doubt it is limited to Nigeria, a foreign movie June in January comes to mind.

Well, we just have to tolerate humans. Some of our own mothers are more overbearing, yet we haven't wished them dead (why should a sane human even wish her MIL dead? Adonbilivit angry).
I just hope some men won't come to tell us how their mum carried them in her womb, like say women broke outta coconuts.

3 Likes

Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by girlfromafrica: 8:28pm On Sep 02, 2016
PaperLace:
I very much doubt it is limited to Nigeria, a foreign movie June in January comes to mind.

Well, we just have to tolerate humans. Some of our own mothers are more overbearing, yet we haven't wished them dead (why should a sane human even wish her MIL dead? Adonbilivit angry).
I just hope some men won't come to tell us how their mum carried them in her womb, like say women broke outta coconuts.

The mother in-law syndrome isn't just a Nigerian thing but its easier for people in advanced countries to manage because first, the MIL doesn't stop by their houses uninvited. Heck! the MIL might not even be invited to the wedding in the first place!

About some gals wishing their MIL dead...well lets say that wish is usually borne out of experience...I did have a friend whose MIL made life hell for, I mean up to the extent of dictating sex life, deeming her unfit as a mother and taking her child away and several other nasty things.

As for women breaking outta coconuts, you'd be surprised that some my-mother-suffered-for-me guy actually thinks that's our creation story.

2 Likes

Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 02, 2016
girlfromafrica:

The mother in-law syndrome isn't just a Nigerian thing but its easier for people in advanced countries to manage because first, the MIL doesn't stop by their houses uninvited. Heck! the MIL might not even be invited to the wedding in the first place!

About some gals wishing their MIL dead...well lets say that wish is usually borne out of experience...I did have a friend whose MIL made life hell for, I mean up to the extent of dictating sex life, deeming her unfit as a mother and taking her child away and several other nasty things.

As for women breaking outta coconuts, you'd be surprised that some my-mother-suffered-for-me guy actually thinks that's our creation story.
When it comes to MIL wahala, I am forced to believe the actual problem is their son (the husband).
If a man draws the line and is firm, there would be no space for battle of superiority. Mama on her part would respect her son thus his wife. Wife too would do same_ except one of them is just a witch.
Make any of them feel like a second fiddle and we end up with an africa magic kinda scene.

Your friend's murder inlaw though...the woman harsh o.

6 Likes

Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by eyinjuege: 6:59am On Sep 03, 2016
You would have put Mama G's picture there na.

So that people can really understand who a bad MIL is cheesy cheesy grin
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by Pidggin(f): 7:35am On Sep 03, 2016
There's a widow that lives quite close to me. I keep watching the way she depends on her son for every thing, one can predict how jealous she will be when he eventually gets married. She has no life of her own apart from him. Of course such a person will likely try to cause problems in his future home just to get attention from him once again.

This is why I strongly advice young widows to remarry
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by girlfromafrica: 9:43am On Sep 03, 2016
eyinjuege:
You would have put Mama G's picture there na.

So that people can really understand who a bad MIL is cheesy cheesy grin
grin
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by girlfromafrica: 9:45am On Sep 03, 2016
Pidggin:
There's a widow that lives quite close to me. I keep watching the way she depends on her son for every thing, one can predict how jealous she will be when he eventually gets married. She has no life of her own apart from him. Of course such a person will likely try to cause problems in his future home just to get attention from him once again.

This is why I strongly advice young widows to remarry

Hmmm...that is, quoting Paperlace, african magic waiting to happen. At the end of the day, it boils down to her son, will he understand that his wife comes before his mother?

1 Like

Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by Pidggin(f): 10:10am On Sep 03, 2016
girlfromafrica:

Hmmm...that is, quoting Paperlace, african magic waiting to happen. At the end of the day, it boils down to her son, will he understand that his wife comes before his mother?

Will she teach him this or is he supposed to automatically know that his wife comes first when all his mother tells him may be otherwise?

She needs a husband or maybe even a good friend but she deceives herself that she is okay. Meanwhile she ends up using her son for emotional support implace of a stable relationship with a mature adult.
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by girlfromafrica: 11:10am On Sep 03, 2016
Pidggin:

Will she teach him this or is he supposed to automatically know that his wife comes first when all his mother tells him may be otherwise?

She needs a husband or maybe even a good friend but she deceives herself that she is okay. Meanwhile she ends up using her son for emotional support implace of a stable relationship with a mature adult.

She most definitely would not teach him that, not in that emotional state. However, what makes a man a man is not what his mother taught him or did not teach him, its him finding his own positive path and following through on it despite external influences.
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by just2okworld(f): 5:26pm On Sep 03, 2016
PaperLace:

You nailed it my dear
Tolerance is key
What if your mother in-law happens to be your mum visiting, will you send her away? Hell no,it's about time we stop complicating issues for ourselves, God help us
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by ahnie: 5:35pm On Sep 03, 2016
#spreads mat***

Sipping sachet water
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by byvan03: 5:36pm On Sep 03, 2016
Nobody can give me such headache .
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by crackhaus: 5:59pm On Sep 03, 2016
PaperLace:

When it comes to MIL wahala, I am forced to believe the actual problem is their son (the husband).
If a man draws the line and is firm, there would be no space for battle of superiority. Mama on her part would respect her son thus his wife. Wife too would do same_ except one of them is just a witch.
Make any of them feel like a second fiddle and we end up with an africa magic kinda scene.

Your friend's murder inlaw though...the woman harsh o.
Na true, as if women will not be women again.

Does sun need to shine before you people will start feeling heat all over your body from head to toe.

1 Like

Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 03, 2016
crackhaus:

Na true, as if women will not be women again.

Does sun need to shine before you people will start feeling heat all over your body from head to toe.
cracky the trouble maker.
No picture of your role model 'Donald Trump' today? grin

just2okworld:

You nailed it my dear
Tolerance is key
What if your mother in-law happens to be your mum visiting, will you send her away? Hell no,it's about time we stop complicating issues for ourselves, God help us
lols, but y'know that contrary to popular opinion_ it is easier to tolerate your MIL than mum, at least for me o. If my mum annoys me, I tell her straight up, but if na MIL, I have to package and play the good DIL 'most times'.

1 Like

Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by girlfromafrica: 7:50pm On Sep 03, 2016
PaperLace:

lols, but y'know that contrary to popular opinion_ it is easier to tolerate your MIL than mum, at least for me o. If my mum annoys me, I tell her straight up, but if na MIL, I have to package and play the good DIL 'most times'.

That packaging is necessary if you want to have a good night's sleep in your own house!
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by just2okworld(f): 8:01pm On Sep 03, 2016
PaperLace:

I tell you,lol
Re: TOP 10 Annoying Things Nigerian Mothers In-law Do by crackhaus: 12:50pm On Sep 04, 2016
PaperLace:

What a fascinating man, this guy
gringrin

(1) (Reply)

Married People Only / Traveling to Port Harcourt / I Have Slept With The Woman You Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.