Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? (16354 Views)

I Want To Travel Out Of Nigeria. Pls Advice / Why Does Everybody In Nigeria Want To Travel Out? / Which African Passport Is Best To Travel Out From Thailand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by mystikal(m): 12:52pm On Oct 05, 2009
yes you can. but if its the UK, know that it doesnt automatically give your child citizenship, you get a Birth Certificate tho. But of cos you can travel with ur pregnancy.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by MUNEER2(m): 12:52pm On Oct 05, 2009
Well, it no more news that people often derail from what the discussion really entails here. I'm glad I'm getting more used to it than i used to, but i think we still need to avoid the use of some explicit words and vague expression.

@Poster
I don't think you'll be issued a visa, though it depends on which country you are making your trip to, and how important it is to make that trip.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by Nezan(m): 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2009
Ha, funny thread.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by joxiri: 1:23pm On Oct 05, 2009
very interesting topic cos i was watching the uk border agency the other day and a british imigration official turned down an 8 mnths pregnant woman frm boarding a ba flight via london to the usa despite the fact the womans final destination was the USA, so my advise is do proper research before boarding any plane
   as an impartial person if you are looking for citizenship  maybe you should consider ireland and other eu countries forget the uk dnt know what he laws are there now but i dnt think its like in the uk were d baby will only get a birth certificate
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by martinosi: 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2009
LOL,  every body is trying to make sure their kids have access abroad
Some countries USA & UK r begging them to come with even enticing them with
US & British passports while some countries they are holding back the tide of
people that want to travel! My cousin works at the Immigration office in the
UK @ Croydon, London (UK). Its a joke when he get the copies of the visa application
from Nigeria !!!  The scams we pull to travel,  Anyway its all good,  Its a part of Human nature to desire a better life,  grin
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by mrsb(f): 1:38pm On Oct 05, 2009
@ Poster - can you clarify your question - are you asking if you can get a visa for a holiday ie to go and come back BEFORE the baby is born or are you asking if you can get a visa to do a runner and have your baby in another land?!

If its the UK you're going to - what gives you the right to use the free healthcare system?  undecided
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by martinosi: 1:42pm On Oct 05, 2009

OAM4J Said,

What country do you want to go? There are some embassies that will not bother to see your face if you submit all the right documents and they will not ask you in their application form if you are pregnant or not, nor ask you to do pregnancy test. At least I know UK for certain. My friend’s wife applied for UK visitor visa after she got pregnant (4 months), she went to UK 2 months to her delivery, delivered in UK and came back to Naija after the delivery.

Giving birth to your child in the UK does not make them British Citizens unless
the parent are already british Citizens by naturalisation or bith before 1983,

But i guess the NHS or Private clinic where your friend gave birth needed the
cash lol!!! so its all good to the UK economy, Give birth Here just dont claim any form
of citizen-ship of welfare lol!!!
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by martinosi: 1:47pm On Oct 05, 2009
mrsb:

@ Poster - can you clarify your question - are you asking if you can get a visa for a holiday ie to go and come back BEFORE the baby is born or are you asking if you can get a visa to do a runner and have your baby in another land?!

If its the UK you're going to - what gives you the right to use the free healthcare system?  undecided

The "NHS" a.k.a UK health care system is not free for those
who do not pay taxes in the UK,
I Guess even if they give you the visa, they will
give it to you knowing you are just going to dash hundreds if not one or two thousands
pounds to Bupa or one other Private Health care clinic to give birth.
The UK govt kind of has Nigerians figured out lol!!!
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by freeview(f): 1:51pm On Oct 05, 2009
@ justwise,u r a bloody lier shocked Can u post the link to ur cooked up nhs story undecided
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by Amjustme: 1:51pm On Oct 05, 2009
Enough of the fighting going on.

Must we remind u dat Nairaland is for Nigerians?
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by justwise(m): 1:55pm On Oct 05, 2009
freeview:

@ justwise,u r a bloody lier shocked Can u post the link to your cooked up nhs story undecided

I will search for it while i do that, i know that the news were everywhere either early this yr or last yr, anybody that heard that story should confirm it. The woman died while waiting for treatment.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by mikeoscar: 1:55pm On Oct 05, 2009
Abeg go and sit down. I did a search on your username and used origin as part of the string. It didn't take me 5 seconds to jump on a thread were u stated you have naija origin.

@P---k NL,
I understand your annoyance with MrCrackle, but if you' ve been on NL a few months you will notice that He really jokes about most of these things He says. More like being sarcastic and taking the opposing position just to make the forum more interesting but He also has a hard in your face truthful way of exppressing His opinion sometimes (aside from those harsh swear words,  grin).

But the point I guess He and others are making is the fact that most of these country tax payers suffer the consequences of our wives/women/sisters going abroad and taking advantage of the Healthcare, e.g. Medicare, NHS etc and not pay. Same thing happened a few years in Ireland, some women I heard will even leave the hospital bed with blood dripping just to avoid being asked to pay less than £500. Now that door has been closed becos 9ja abused it.

A few years  ago a pregnant Nigerian woman born pikin for Air france just after take-off from P.H. International Airport. It made so much news I was ashamed.

There is nothing absolutely wrong with having your babies in any country if you have the genuine reason to be resident there at the time. I am Very Nigerian and currently work in the US.A. ( Offshore precisely) but live in the U.S. All my kids have been born there and all expenses paid for and My salary is well taxed too grin but that does not mean that People cannot come from Home and have their babies here for several reasons If they will pick-up the bills and if they will be discret about it.  I beg my brothers make una no fight over this matter una hear!
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by justwise(m): 1:59pm On Oct 05, 2009
freeview:

@ justwise,u r a bloody lier shocked Can u post the link to your cooked up nhs story undecided

Now this is the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4994026.stm.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by redsky1: 2:00pm On Oct 05, 2009
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by joxiri: 2:02pm On Oct 05, 2009
all these people asking what gives u the right to use uk health care system, justwise and others, I am sure you or some very close relative of you has abused that sytem at some point either having been here on holiday and seeking treatment or something every1 abuses the nhs, yes a few people pay high taxes, but i dnt mind if people abuse it cos u cannot put a price on health.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by MrCrackles(m): 2:03pm On Oct 05, 2009
mike oscar:

@P---k NL,
I understand your annoyance with MrCrackle, but if you' ve been on NL a few months you will notice that He really jokes about most of these things He says. More like being sarcastic and taking the opposing position just to make the forum more interesting but He also has a hard in your face truthful way of exppressing His opinion sometimes (aside from those harsh swear words, grin).
Thank you. . . .  wink
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by redsky1: 2:07pm On Oct 05, 2009
joxiri:

all these people asking what gives u the right to use uk health care system, justwise and others, I am sure you or some very close relative of you has abused that sytem at some point either having been here on holiday and seeking treatment or something every1 abuses the nhs, yes a few people pay high taxes, but i dnt mind if people abuse it cos u cannot put a price on health.

sorry i don't know such people in my life and when people like me are paying close to £1k in tax alone that excluding national insurance u get my annoyance at people who abuse the system and i am told to wait 4 hours in a&e and questioned about my status even thou i'm a citizen (guess they can't see past my colour) anyway my point is this if i left england today to live in nigeria for 6 months i would be entitiled to nothing even thou i have lived here over 25 years and pay over £11k tax and NI however, these fraudsters (yes that is what they are) come here use the system they have paid nothing towards and go and pose in naija claiming my child was born in london
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by MrCrackles(m): 2:11pm On Oct 05, 2009
joxiri:

Very daft response to the ongoing argument . . . . .
Dont be sure of something you dont know anything about
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by justwise(m): 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2009
joxiri:

Point of correction! I never abused NHS, infact i never used the system for 6yrs now but i paid into it.
So get ur facts right ok?
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2009
what of if you end bearing the child inside plane, and wow she will end up become citizen-less child
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2009
children of first generation immigrants are called anchor babies- generally a derogatory term. Oyibos know exactly what's going on oh.

According to the Double-Tongued Dictionary, edited by American lexicographer Grant Barrett, the term "anchor baby" means "a child born of an immigrant in the United States, said to be a device by which a family can find legal foothold in the US, since those children are automatically allowed to choose American citizenship." In response to a reader's proposed alternate definition seeking to limit the definition of the term to children of illegal immigrants, Grant Barrett states:

, it is used for *any* immigrant. Those who use this term tend to be opposed to *all* immigration and immigrants, not illegal immigration, especially those who use their immigration stance as a mask for racism and xenophobia.

The term has been applied with prejudice against Mexican Americans and other Latinos in general, even if their parents are U.S. citizens. For example, Ruben Navarrette Jr., a Mexican American columnist and editorial board member of The San Diego Union-Tribune and nationally syndicated columnist with the Washington Post Writers Group, reported being called an "anchor baby" in a 2007 column of his, titled Hate in the Immigration Debate":

And, as I travel the country speaking to Hispanic groups, one thing I hear is that “anti-immigrant” rapidly morphed into “anti-Hispanic” and specifically “anti-Mexican.” I get evidence of that every day in my e-mail. Just last week, after I defended the prosecution of two Border Patrol agents, a reader called me a “dirty Latino” who needs to get “back to Mexico.” Another writer called me an “anchor baby” – the term used by nativists to describe the children of illegal immigrants born in the United States. Never mind that I was born in the United States and my parents were born in the United States. What I see here is racism.

Conservative commentator Michelle Malkin — herself born in the United States to alien parents who were legally, temporarily in the U.S. at the time — has asserted that "the custom of granting automatic citizenship at birth to children of tourists and temporary workers such as [Yaser Esam] Hamdi, tourists, and to countless 'anchor babies' delivered by illegal aliens on American soil, undermines the integrity of citizenship—not to mention national security.

In a September 3, 2008, debate in Danville, Virginia, Republican Congressman Virgil Goode declared that the greatest threat to America's national security was "anchor babies". He discussed H.R. 1940, the "Birthright Citizenship Act of 2007" that would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to consider a person born in the United States "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States for citizenship at birth purposes if the person is born in the United States of parents, one of whom is: (1) a U.S. citizen or national; (2) a lawful permanent resident alien whose residence is in the United States; or (3) an alien performing active service in the armed forces. Goode argued that H.R. 1940 would "end the anchor baby situation", and he blamed Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for the fact that H.R. 1940 has not gone anywhere; his opponent, Democrat Tom Perriello, noted that similar legislation did not even make it out of committee when the Republicans controlled Congress, and that the Republican leadership, including then-President George W. Bush and then-Republican Presidential nominee John McCain, did not support the bill either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

^^of course things like this never stopped anyone from seeking greener pastures. Since a lot of the world's development is concentrated in the west. Compared to the gigantic number of people from underdeveloped countries. No electricity, no running water, bad roads, etc.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by martinosi: 2:14pm On Oct 05, 2009
Look lets set the records straight and lets keep this real.
Too many people are faking it sometimes on Nairaland talking
a load of bull instead of helping people out who just want to make things
better for themselves!!!

I just wanna drop some points for the record

1 - If you were born abroad ie USA, Britain which are the main countries 90% of People
who are of Nigerian Parentage where born in and was raised their to the age of 13 years
plus before you came to nigeria to finish high school or secondary school then you
should understand that Nigeria is no Holiday Retreat to say the least.

2 - If you were born abroad in the US or Nigeria and they brought you back to Nigeria
before you gained self-awareness ie 6 years, then you are not really going to have
a solid perspective of being abroad and their is a likelyhood of you carry a chip on your
shoulder because you have the probability of easy access abroad may make you feel you
are in a better position than others.

3 - If you were born in Nigeria, but your parents have the money to take you abroad
on holiday or whatever and they had the cash to send you to University abroad
you gonna have another perspective

4 - If you were born in Nigeria, but you came abroad by your own effore "LEGALLY"
your going to have another Perpective!!!

O.k i fall into Catergory one and i can say that catergory 2 & 3 sometimes live in kookoo
and "pride & arrogance land"
when i was in my secondary school in Nigeria !!!

But what i have learned from being born abroad and raised half 2/3 of my life abroad and 1/3 in Nigeria is not it gave me balance and respect for those Nigerians who were born
abroad and never came to Nigeria and those born in Nigeria and have never travelled and those who are  born in nigeria and outside nigeria that have seen both sides,

People are just trying to better themselves, i know how it was to wake up and go to school
and get on the "Molue bus" and the struggles i faced, and i know how it was to get on a bus
that came at a set time and was comfortable as we rode to school which dropped you at the
school gate abroad,

Lets just help one-another becuase life is to precious to be "Player-hating"
and "Success-blocking"

Nuff Said
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2009
i know how it was to wake up and go to school
and get on the "Molue bus" and the struggles i faced, and i know how it was to get on a bus
that came at a set time and was comfortable as we rode to school which dropped you at the
school gate abroad,

^^ not everyone had to get on a molue abeg.

Some private schools have their own buses which drop kids off at school with no overcrowding.

I see your point however since we all know the majority had to enter molue.

In any case, if you lived in lagos and never entered molue, thats strange,imo. Na excessive ajebota be that.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by martinosi: 2:23pm On Oct 05, 2009
tpia.:

children of first generation immigrants are called anchor babies- generally a derogatory term. Oyibos know exactly what's going on oh.

The main thing is that if your children are born abroad give them a healthy self respect or where they come from in nigeria and at least take them to Nigeria on Holdays like once in three years or try and take them to school in Nigeria for 2 - 5 years if possible, just to get that experience of home, it does give balance as it gave to me and my siblings.

The truth be told having been born and raised abroad and lived in nigeria for the later
part of my teens and early twenties made me a stronger man Both intellectually and socially.

I cant be fooled as i have seen both sides and i when i wake up each morning i always
gotta thank God for the father he gave me!!!

The my father  was right  about knowing your self and that he would take me back to Nigeria
to see what He has experienced so that i would know where he was coming from!!!

Legacies are important folks no matter how bad you thin your country is!
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 05, 2009
martinosi:

The main thing is that if your children are born abroad give them a healthy self respect or where they come from in nigeria and at least take them to Nigeria on Holdays like once in three years or try and take them to school in Nigeria for 2 - 5 years if possible, just to get that experience of home, it does give balance as it gave to me and my siblings.

The truth be told having been born and raised abroad and lived in nigeria for the later
part of my teens and early twenties made me a stronger man Both intellectually and socially.

I cant be fooled as i have seen both sides and i when i wake up each morning i always
gotta thank God for the father he gave me!!!

The my father  was right  about knowing your self and that he would take me back to Nigeria
to see what He has experienced so that i would know where he was coming from!!!

Legacies are important folks no matter how bad you thin your country is!

true, but imo you take the lemons life gives you and either make lemonade or suck on them.

Its a tough world and life is no fairytale.

I see your point however.

but for example, some people have no fathers at all, or have fathers who arent there for them. They should still do the best they can with whatever they've been given.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by justwise(m): 2:50pm On Oct 05, 2009
freeview:

Where are u? Have u seen it? U called me names b4,now who is lying? me or u?
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by MUNEER2(m): 2:54pm On Oct 05, 2009
Let's get straight to the point. Can she or can she not apply for visa?

It might be your turn to ask this question next time, and let's stop attaching unnecessary sentiment to this issue,

MrCrackles:

Thank you. . . . wink

Please, more of this cheesy
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by MUNEER2(m): 3:32pm On Oct 05, 2009
justwise:

Now this is the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4994026.stm.

Kudos to you. We need more of your type here wink
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by Princek12(m): 3:54pm On Oct 05, 2009
I hope the U.S. makes a constitutional amendment that will deny citizenship to the children of parents who are neither U.S. citizens nor U.S. residents, nor parents who do not intend to permanently reside in the U.S. Having your baby in the U.S. then going back home with the hopes of bringing that baby eighteen years later to reap the benefits of a country that you have contributed nothing is an extreme parasitic behavior. The tax payers and people who were contributing to the U.S. economy for the period during which the anchor baby was in Naija are not fools. While I am willing to give some slack to the parents who can afford--and do pay--their medical bills, the most disgusting part is that most of these parents accumulate exorbitant medical bills just to abandon them. It gives Nigerians a very bad name, and I will not sanction any behavior that further tarnishes the already tarnished Nigerian image.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by spikedcylinder: 4:29pm On Oct 05, 2009
tpia.:

In any case, if you lived in lagos and never entered molue, thats strange,imo. Na excessive ajebota be that.

Errr, I beg to disagree.
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by BAC: 4:34pm On Oct 05, 2009
You never know. The person interviewing you may be pregnant. pregnant women favour pregnant women. But I hope you are not planning to have the baby on our NHS? If they suspect so, even a pregnant woman will not give you
Re: Can I Apply For Visa And Travel Out With A Pregnancy?5 Months? by xyuche: 5:12pm On Oct 05, 2009
please kindly apply for Iraq or Afgan VIsa if you are serious about it.

(1) (2) (3)

Ethiopian Air Opens Condolence Registers In Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Enugu / Foreign Airlines Notify FG Of Unwillingness To Operate From Kaduna Airport / Lagos-bound Plane Makes Air Return After Fire Alarm In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.