Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,386 members, 7,812,137 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:54 AM

I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain (41995 Views)

Nicholas Anyanwu Wins Lawsuit As Abuja Court Nullifies His Suspension / Primate Nicholas Okoh Speaks On Tithing / Nicholas Chukwuemeka Tagbo Burial Ceremony In Onitsha (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:32am On Sep 04, 2016
The bishop of Grantham has become the first Church of England bishop to say that he is gay and in a relationship.

Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain, a suffragan in Lincoln diocese, was consecrated last year by Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby - who has said he knew about the bishop's sexuality.

He was in a "long-term and committed" relationship, Archbishop Welby said.
Bishop Chamberlain says he obeys Church guidelines, which say gay clergy must remain celibate.

The archbishop also said: "His appointment as bishop of Grantham was made on the basis of his skills and calling to serve the Church in the Diocese of Lincoln.
"He lives within the bishops' guidelines and his sexuality is completely irrelevant to his office."

'Not secret'

A Church of England spokesman said: "Nicholas has not misled anyone and has been open and truthful if asked. The matter is not secret, although it is private as is the case with all partnerships/relationships."
Bishop Chamberlain's sexuality emerged in an interview with the Guardian, and it has been reported that he gave the interview because his private life was about to be exposed by a Sunday newspaper.

"It was not my decision to make a big thing about coming out," he told the newspaper.
"People know I'm gay, but it's not the first thing I'd say to anyone. Sexuality is part of who I am, but it's my ministry that I want to focus on."

Susie Leafe, the chairwoman of the conservative evangelical group Reform, said she sympathised with Bishop Chamberlain for having been "hounded by the secular press and forced into making a statement".
"All human beings have a range of complex desires, who he is attracted to should not make any difference to his ability to do the job of a bishop," she added.
It is thought no serving bishop has ever before gone public about their sexuality. The former archbishop of York, Lord Hope, said in 1995 that his sexuality was a "grey area".
The Dean of St Albans, the Very Reverend Jeffrey John, withdrew from the selection process to become bishop of Reading in 2003 after an angry reaction from traditionalist Anglicans about his sexuality.
'Process of learning'
Bishop Chamberlain said he had been with his partner for many years.
"It is faithful, loving, we are like-minded, we enjoy each other's company and we share each other's life," he said.
Asked about whether other bishops might follow his lead in openly declaring their sexuality, he said: "I really can only speak for myself. If I'm an encouragement to others, that would be great."
Bishop Chamberlain said the Church of England was "still at the beginning of a process of learning" about issues of sexuality, describing it as a struggle.
He said he hoped to be a "standard-bearer for all people as a gay man" and that he hoped he would be able to "help us move on beyond matters of sexuality".
He added that he hoped to be "judged by my actions as a parish priest, a bishop - and by the Lord ultimately".
Reverend Sally Hitchiner, who is gay and runs the LGBT support group Diverse Church, told the BBC she was looking forward to the day that a bishop's sexuality was not a news story.
"He's being very clear that he's sticking within the Church of England guidelines and being celibate. Most of us in the Church do know about people who are gay in high office," she said.
"There's a lot of discussion about this and whether or not it's going to make it more difficult for conservatives to hold their view with integrity within the Church or whether it's just a really helpful thing for everyone for there to be more visibility on all levels of the Church and say everyone is welcome no matter what your orientation or gender."
But Bishop Chamberlain's revelation is likely to cause further tension among Anglicans.

Last month 72 traditionalist members of the Church's ruling general synod wrote to all bishops, encouraging them to abide by biblical teaching on sexuality.
Last week the Archbishop of Canterbury said in an interview that he "couldn't see the road ahead" when it came to the Church's policy on sexuality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37257005

2 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:34am On Sep 04, 2016
grin grin grin

Nairalanders, will you worship in such a church?

grin grin grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by stnkembu(m): 6:35am On Sep 04, 2016
Which way my people?

Well, his life... His sexuality.

7 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:19am On Sep 04, 2016
stnkembu:
Which way my people?
Well, his life... His sexuality.
His Church! His believe!!
Can we label him Satanic?

3 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by BetaThings: 7:45am On Sep 04, 2016
The Brits see nothing wrong in being homosick

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, leader of the world’s Anglican faith, said Chamberlain’s sexuality was “completely irrelevant”.

“His appointment as Bishop of Grantham was made on the basis of his skills and calling to serve the church in the diocese of Lincoln,” he said

“He lives within the bishops’ guidelines and his sexuality is completely irrelevant to his office.”

A Church of England spokesman said it would have been “unjust” not to appoint him based due to his sexuality.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/church-england-welcomes-first-openly-gay-bishop/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 04, 2016
Frontpage. It has one of the few signatures which associate foreign news with nairaland's frontpage.

His life, his sexuality. Leave God to judge.

2 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 04, 2016
How does this affect our recession?

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by ERONX(m): 10:55am On Sep 04, 2016
Hn .
Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Blackfire(m): 1:11pm On Sep 04, 2016
Things are getting weird- er everyday..

8 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by veekid(m): 3:28pm On Sep 04, 2016
See them old niccurs wey bring Christianity to naija; n wonder the naija versions of em gays indulged in s.ex with underages

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by factorial1(m): 3:29pm On Sep 04, 2016
This kind of news makes me repent everyday cause truly, the end time is here.

5 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
So he's gay...

5 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by jaymejate: 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
[size=13pt]When the head is destroyed, the body is useless.
You being a Gay will corrupt fools like you.

I trust naija, tho we no de okay too much , but this 14years i can guarantee you[/size]

4 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Jediel1(m): 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
Dis guy is crazy angry. Seriously crazy. shocked

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Akshow: 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
Oya let the bashing begin from homophobic, hypocritical, holier than thou, more pope Than Benedict, more Christian than the white men that brought the Christianity Nigerians. Sipping zoborodo as I read comments from ignorant homophobics grin

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2016
He can't try this in Nigeria.
Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by oluwasegun007(m): 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2016
The Devil don enter church oooo shocked shocked shocked

End time tinz

4 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by MrCounselor: 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2016
end time they say is here, maybe its true.

1 Like

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by lankieman: 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2016
Awake African s.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2016
Bring him here for deliverance...

It's not a hard thing cool

5 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Onogiede(m): 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2016
This are Signs of end time, is very close Lord dn't left me behand,.."Perilious time"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by movicy(m): 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2016
pastors and Christianity sha

anyway, I came to check names and religion, pastor and sex are intertwined

8 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by goshen26: 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2016
Perilous time...1tim 3:1-10

1 Like

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Daniel058(m): 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2016
EKWENSU Don ROMANS Mamiwater

6 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
Agents of the Anti-christ. Gay ko, Guy ni

2 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
I foresee that ten years to dis day, gayism will be world wide... and its my business... the world is sick...

7 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by weblord1900: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
Ok
Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nickymezor(f): 3:35pm On Sep 04, 2016
Jst came to see his face...hmmmmm wonders shall neva cease..

2 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Jay542(m): 3:36pm On Sep 04, 2016
doctorkush:
I foresee that ten years to dis day, gayism will be world wide... and its my business... the world is sick...
I agree with you. People are getting crazy!

7 Likes

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 04, 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Gay – Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain by recievesense: 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2016
My mama sey if u no get beta tin to talk just close ur mouth

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

“Don’t Go About Eating All Over The Place This Season”- Dr Olukoya Warns / How Did Demons Come Into Existence? Who Created Them? / Twitter User Claims Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo Have Had His Way With Her Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.