Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,305 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student (25561 Views)

So Many Girls Graduating As Best Graduating Students / 10 Important Things You Must Learn How To Do Before Graduating From University / Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by fineyemi(m): 8:09am On Sep 04, 2016
Everybody's dream is to go to a university or to find their selves in the walls of a university without knowing the important things to do so as not to become an "half baked graduate"

I therefore decided to write some few notes down for my fellow Nigerian student and to all undergraduate student out there to know and to put to practice and abide by it.

1. KNOW YOURSELF:
Knowing one’s self is not limited to your name alone. You must discover who you truly are. Your strong points and weaknesses;

2. EXPERIENCE COUNTS:
During holidays, break, even weekends, it is advisable to take up holiday or part time jobs, even, voluntary jobs, jobs. This will give you to required experience when you eventually go into labour;

3. KEEP LEARNING:
Learning is not limited to lectures from your field of specialty of course at the University or Polytechnic. You are to learn soft skills;

4. MONEY MATTERS:
Money is very key to everything you do. This will help to support one in achieving one’s dream. Be it schooling or learning vocational skills;

5. COMMUNICATION:
Good communication skills is very essential in today’s competitive World. Learn to talk to people in the manner they are not offended. The ability to communicate clearly and to work well team setting is critical to a sustained and successful employability. Do not abbreviate when you write letters and memos. Learn to communicate in simple English. No ambiguity, it helps a great deal to work effectively in a team;

6. HANDLING FAILURE:
“I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career as a basket ball player. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times I have been trusted to take the game’s winning shot and missed. I have failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeeded”.
MICHAEL JORDAN American Basket Ball Legend Failure is not the end of the World, it means you have to work harder. No one is perfect, learn from that experience;

7. BE SOCIAL-WISE: [/b]60% of employers now turn to social networks to research for job applicant, so, be weary of the posts, pictures and what you do on the social media. Your potential employers and business partners could be watching. Avoid anything extreme. You could post birthday, wedding, picnics pictures etc;
[b]
8. PEOPLE SKILLS:
Interpersonal skills can be the difference between undergraduate Days and when you get employed. You need these skills;

9. PRESENTING YOURSELF:
You never get a second chance to make a great first impression. People will treat you the way they see you. It is important how you present yourself. It is always good to put your best forward. Dress decently, look neat and comport yourself all the time.

10. ATTITUDE:
Your attitude determines how successful you can be. Your Attitude determines your altitude.
http://www.guru9ja.com/2016/09/ten-10-things-to-know-before-graduating.html

24 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by MrBen10(m): 8:20am On Sep 04, 2016
First time to be FTC on nailaland.
Lalasticlala comman pay me my dole, meanwhile this is educative and a good guild to students to ease their after sch xpewience

1 Like

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by ladyF(f): 3:29pm On Sep 04, 2016
Makes sense!

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

[size=5pt]Make I go continue my search for Skrill funds...freelancers, forexers, biko epp me[/size]

1 Like

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 04, 2016
All very true.
You should also define a viable career pathway and practice independence .
Very importantly too, sort out your relationship in one of two ways :
> Have a steady and serious relationship
> If you can't achieve the above, at least have a clear idea of the kinda partner you want for urself, not sampling every deek and pu.s.sy you come across

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by veekid(m): 3:29pm On Sep 04, 2016
None of this can land you a job, so what are we saying

3 Likes

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by thundabot(f): 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
seen

1 Like

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by herzern(m): 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
.....Op....yhu try.....

1 Like

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by MrCounselor: 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2016
was here
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2016
Develop your written and spoken English skills. Many Nigerian graduates I have seen cannot write satisfactory application letter.

1 Like

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by lillan042(f): 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2016
yeaaaa
I love that
meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRyX3_F1XRg men nawaoo
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2016
Story
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by PERFECT2(m): 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2016
If it worked for you, don't think it will work for others.

A matured student should just try to do the right thing;we all know it.
Truth is, if no be God, person for don die even with all these rules.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by weblord1900: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
OK... For students. ...
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by spidey77: 3:35pm On Sep 04, 2016
Most of all my dear. Do not forget that this is Nigeria and this is 2016. Grades only wud not land a good Job anymore (at least not when covenant university is approaching 1000 first class a sesion). The most important grade today is connections. Be nice to people..As u are studying , DO NOT FORGET TO BUILD CONNECTIONS. A rope today may b ur anchor tomorrow

9 Likes

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by SaintDejavu(m): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2016
Thanks
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by jaymejate: 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2016
[size=14pt]Oga we have been hearing these for like million times now

The real point and only one thing to know is...
1... NO JOB FOR 9JA, BE WISE NOW AND FIND YOUR WAY[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by imoh070: 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2016
Dope and true
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2016
Op,all u listed up there are true but...

1 Like

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Larryfest(m): 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2016
Also know that the country is in recession and might be there for a long time which means no job so pick up a skill or handwork now..
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by wrecksfurd(m): 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2016
Very informative thread, thanks for sharing.
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Ptoocool(m): 3:51pm On Sep 04, 2016
OP, are you "half baked?"
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Mandu11(m): 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2016
Infact,once u finish secondari education,take the time as long as it might be to get to "understand ur trueself and things ur trueself should rather spend it's time and strength doing that inturn gives u satisfaction and fulfillment".Like 50% of people in universities have no business being there.
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by asumo12: 4:12pm On Sep 04, 2016
Dangote lost $5.4bn this year and he's still
breathing fine... Dunno where I kept my #150
and my chest is already doing somehow..

cry

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Kruzilano(m): 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
jaymejate:
[size=14pt]Oga we have been hearing these for like million times now

The real point and only one thing to know is...
1... NO JOB FOR 9JA, BE WISE NOW AND FIND YOUR WAY[/size]
a very wrong thinking
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Thobiy(m): 4:35pm On Sep 04, 2016
Nice info
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by dollyjoy(f): 4:44pm On Sep 04, 2016
spidey77:
Most of all my dear. Do not forget that this is Nigeria and this is 2016. Grades only wud not land a good Job anymore (at least not when covenant university is approaching 1000 first class a sesion). The most important grade today is connections. Be nice to people..As u are studying , DO NOT FORGET TO BUILD CONNECTIONS. A rope today may b ur anchor tomorrow
I tried liking this twicesmiley
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by dollaflow(m): 4:44pm On Sep 04, 2016
ok
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by KayodeAjani: 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2016
Money gone
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2016
Got all 'em alwedi...just need 2 upgrade dem

1 Like

Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2016
Too late
Re: Ten Things To Know Before Graduating As A Student by ikechi1000(m): 5:04pm On Sep 04, 2016
Ok o, noted

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 "Downsides" Of Being A First Class Graduate In Nigeria / Sale Murtala Dandashire: 2019 ABU Best Graduating Medical Student With 14 Awards / Man Who Attempted JAMB 8 Times, Graduates With 2nd Class Upper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.