Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... (2967 Views)

Why Muslims Should Visit Cemeteries Regularly - Salihu Ajetunmobi / Why Muslims Should Never Have To Apologize For Terrorism - By Omar Alnatour / Why Muslims Cannot Live In Peace With Non-Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by annunaki2(m): 8:28am On Sep 09, 2016
andersonbaba:

Lol...but the question now is how old was Mary when she was betrothed and conceived?

There is no authentic documented evidence for mary's age when she was bethroted/ conceived but all evidences point to the fact that she was a mature woman.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 10, 2016
This the VERY FIRST TIME am EVER coming across a CHRISTIAN on NAIRALAND seeking with HONESTY answers to QUESTIONS of which one of them is wrapped around ISLAM.

From your PERSONAL PROFILE, andersonbaba i notice that your interest on NL is MAINLY POLITICS and this questions of yours is a SUDDEN CURIOSITY in the realm of RELIGION. I just want you to know that i am still on it. AS I TOLD YOU ITS A RABBIT HOLE THAT LEADS TO ALOT OF OTHER HOLES. A WORTHY ADVENTURE. THEY DISCOVERIES WILL REALLY REALLY SHOCK YOU. 

So, far your responses to the opinions given to you as answers to your SINCERE THOUGHTFUL QUESTION are very GENUINE of one who is HONESTLY seeking for CERTAINTIES and not CONJECTURES.

Please bear with me. As infact i may end up publishing my answer as a NOBLE BOOK that satisfies alot of CURIOUSITY puting our DOUBTS under check in an era where the TRUTH is greeted with CONTEMPT.

Please bear with me.  andersonbaba wish you a very SPLENDID DAY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Sinkills: 6:26pm On Sep 10, 2016
parisbookaddict:

andersonbaba here is your answer
[b]
Mary, the mother of Jesus was not 12 or a young girl when she got married.
Though the bible didn’t see it necessary to state an age, it is clear she was a mature woman.. here are the evidence.

Firstly, when she perceived that she has become pregnant, she went to visit her cousin, Elizabeth ,not aunt, not mother, her cousin. Now, being cousins means that though there can be some age gap between them, but they are contemporaries and friends(luke1:39-40). And Elizabeth herself has well aged and has even long entered
menopause. Hence, mary couldn't be a teenager, not to talk of 12.

Secondly, it was also written that on getting pregnant,she relocated from her house to Elizabeth's where she stayed with her for 3months before going back to her own house(see luke1:56). I don't think a 12year old or even a teenager will be having her own house at that time and even now.

Thirdly, her ability to independently move from her city to another for 3months clearly shows that we are dealing with a mature woman, not a teen or even less.

Fourthly, she was addressed throughout by both the angel and her cousin as a woman(see luke1:28,42)

Fifth, read her songs of exaltation from Luke1:46-55. It clearly shows the intelligence of a full grown woman who is knowledgeable in her ancestral history as she is of spiritual things.

As for Joseph, though no mention was ever made anywhere in the bible of his age, the bible describes him as a just man which modern scholars will refer to as a perfect gentleman.

Also, 12years after Jesus was born, his parents were still going to Jerusalem for their annual thanksgiving and this was a journey of days by road. That would have put Joseph's age at 111 if he married her at 99.

let me also add that when 12yr old Jesus went missing, Mary and Joseph turned the whole Jerusalem upside down searching for him until they found him in the temple.

If 12yr old was considered adult then, his parents wouldn't have worried because as an "adult he could fend for himself" But no, Mary and Joseph went searching for him till she found him, why? a 12yr old child is considered as a kid as it was in 2000 years ago and today... unlike Mohammed who sees a 6 year old child fit for marriage and 9 year old fit for sex..

All this evidence should tell you clearly that Mary wasn't 12yrs old at the time she was engaged to Joseph.

I want to add that the bible makes it clear u marry a woman and not a
child.. this is not even debatable. .

1 Corinthians 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality,
each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

1 Corinthians 7:1-40 ESV
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife
does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. ...

Leviticus 21:7 ESV
They shall not marry a prostitute or a woman who has been defiled,
neither shall they marry a woman divorced from her husband, for the
priest is holy to his God. notice the use of the word woman and not girl or female..

[/b]

cc
WORDWORLD aka al taqiyya jihadist
Notruthatall
Deicide

muslims keep citing one silly site of unverified origin, claiming that mary was 12years in order to justify or draw comparison to mohammed who had sex with baby aisha at 9 years. the truth is that mary was a woman.
This is apt and a brilliant analysis. May God bless you with more wisdom I J N, Amen.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Sinkills: 7:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
In the Bible, girls of about 12 years old (including teenagers) were referred to as damsels not women (Mark 5:39-43, Matthew 9:24, 26:69, Luke 8:52, John 18:17, Acts 12:13, 16:16). However, Mary, the mother of Jesus was addressed by angel Gabriel as a woman (Luke 1: 26-28). Apart from that, her cousin Elizabeth was already past child bearing age (Luke 1:5-7, 36-38). So Mary could not have been 12 or even a teenager. From the foregoing, it is evident that she was a fully mature woman when she was engaged or betrothed to Joseph the carpenter. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 3:24pm On Sep 11, 2016
Farmerforlife:

The whole problem is with the concept of 'underage'. Islam proposes that there is no specific 'miraculous' age at which an individual spontaneously becomes physically or emotionally mature on the eve of his/her birthday, different individuals become mature at different ages. In Islam, it is left for the individual's guardians to assess when is the appropriate age to get him/her married, keeping in mind that it is essential to keep away the temptation to fornicate from their wards. In Islam, the only 'age' condition is that the marriage is only concluded if the individual gives consent when puberty is attained, and that no form of sexual contact may take place before then.

Secondly, paedophilia is the act of sexual contact with, or desire for, prepubescent children. An individual who has attained puberty is neither prepubescent (obviously) nor a child. Physical maturity is attained at puberty.

You are making a point though. According to the history of the israelites, they bethroat their child at a very young age. They after their first menstruation they can marry and produce a child

3 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:15pm On Sep 11, 2016
parisbookaddict:

andersonbaba here is your answer
[b]
Mary, the mother of Jesus was not 12 or a young girl when she got married.
Though the bible didn’t see it necessary to state an age, it is clear she was a mature woman.. here are the evidence.

Firstly, when she perceived that she has become pregnant, she went to visit her cousin, Elizabeth ,not aunt, not mother, her cousin. Now, being cousins means that though there can be some age gap between them, but they are contemporaries and friends(luke1:39-40). And Elizabeth herself has well aged and has even long entered
menopause. Hence, mary couldn't be a teenager, not to talk of 12.

Secondly, it was also written that on getting pregnant,she relocated from her house to Elizabeth's where she stayed with her for 3months before going back to her own house(see luke1:56). I don't think a 12year old or even a teenager will be having her own house at that time and even now.

Thirdly, her ability to independently move from her city to another for 3months clearly shows that we are dealing with a mature woman, not a teen or even less.

Fourthly, she was addressed throughout by both the angel and her cousin as a woman(see luke1:28,42)

Fifth, read her songs of exaltation from Luke1:46-55. It clearly shows the intelligence of a full grown woman who is knowledgeable in her ancestral history as she is of spiritual things.

As for Joseph, though no mention was ever made anywhere in the bible of his age, the bible describes him as a just man which modern scholars will refer to as a perfect gentleman.

Also, 12years after Jesus was born, his parents were still going to Jerusalem for their annual thanksgiving and this was a journey of days by road. That would have put Joseph's age at 111 if he married her at 99.

let me also add that when 12yr old Jesus went missing, Mary and Joseph turned the whole Jerusalem upside down searching for him until they found him in the temple.

If 12yr old was considered adult then, his parents wouldn't have worried because as an "adult he could fend for himself" But no, Mary and Joseph went searching for him till she found him, why? a 12yr old child is considered as a kid as it was in 2000 years ago and today... unlike Mohammed who sees a 6 year old child fit for marriage and 9 year old fit for sex..

All this evidence should tell you clearly that Mary wasn't 12yrs old at the time she was engaged to Joseph.

I want to add that the bible makes it clear u marry a woman and not a
child.. this is not even debatable. .

1 Corinthians 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality,
each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

1 Corinthians 7:1-40 ESV
Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife
does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. ...

Leviticus 21:7 ESV
They shall not marry a prostitute or a woman who has been defiled,
neither shall they marry a woman divorced from her husband, for the
priest is holy to his God. notice the use of the word woman and not girl or female..

[/b]

cc
WORDWORLD aka al taqiyya jihadist
Notruthatall
Deicide

muslims keep citing one silly site of unverified origin, claiming that mary was 12years in order to justify or draw comparison to mohammed who had sex with baby aisha at 9 years. the truth is that mary was a woman.

Bros, according t my research, 12yrs old was the age which a lady can be betrothed to a man. But she can only become a man after seeing her first menstruation which then makes her ripe for marriage. However, 12 yrs does not apply to a male chid

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:18pm On Sep 11, 2016
CoolUsername:
I have a few questions, why did the Muslim brother defend the paedophilia prevalent in his religion by pointing out the same weakness in another? Isn't his religion supposed to be superior? Isn't that why he is a Muslim? Doesn't everybody think his religion is the perfect system ordained by God? Why then, do they defend their religions by showing how they are no worse than others?

Abi oooo
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by baridamhoney(f): 6:24pm On Sep 11, 2016
me myself is confused oooo

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:27pm On Sep 11, 2016
Sinkills:
In the Bible, girls of about 12 years old (including teenagers) were referred to as damsels not women (Mark 5:39-43, Matthew 9:24, 26:69, Luke 8:52, John 18:17, Acts 12:13, 16:16). However, Mary, the mother of Jesus was addressed by angel Gabriel as a woman (Luke 1: 26-28). Apart from that, her cousin Elizabeth was already past child bearing age (Luke 1:5-7, 36-38). So Mary could not have been 12 or even a teenager. From the foregoing, it is evident that she was a fully mature woman when she was engaged or betrothed to Joseph the carpenter. Thank you.

You seems to be making sense. But our 11yr old last born has a 40yr old cousin. At times we just call the man uncle as he got married late.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
baridamhoney:
me myself is confused oooo

grin grin grin why nw
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by baridamhoney(f): 6:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
andersonbaba:

grin grin grin why nw
The matter tire me after doing some personal readings

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
Make lalasticaaa put this thing for front page now
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
baridamhoney:

The matter tire me after doing some personal readings

It seems that is why a friend said the search for light is evil. Am just understanding it now
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:38pm On Sep 11, 2016
WORDWORLD:
This the VERY FIRST TIME am EVER coming across a CHRISTIAN on NAIRALAND seeking with HONESTY answers to QUESTIONS of which one of them is wrapped around ISLAM.

From your PERSONAL PROFILE, andersonbaba i notice that your interest on NL is MAINLY POLITICS and this questions of yours is a SUDDEN CURIOSITY in the realm of RELIGION. I just want you to know that i am still on it. AS I TOLD YOU ITS A RABBIT HOLE THAT LEADS TO ALOT OF OTHER HOLES. A WORTHY ADVENTURE. THEY DISCOVERIES WILL REALLY REALLY SHOCK YOU. 

So, far your responses to the opinions given to you as answers to your SINCERE THOUGHTFUL QUESTION are very GENUINE of one who is HONESTLY seeking for CERTAINTIES and not CONJECTURES.

Please bear with me. As infact i may end up publishing my answer as a NOBLE BOOK that satisfies alot of CURIOUSITY puting our DOUBTS under check in an era where the TRUTH is greeted with CONTEMPT.

Oga am waiting for ur opinion. And an intellectual one this time
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 6:38pm On Sep 11, 2016
WORDWORLD:

Oga am waiting for ur opinion. And an intellectual one this time grin grin
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 7:10pm On Sep 11, 2016
annunaki2:

There is no authentic documented evidence for mary's age when she was bethroted/ conceived but all evidences point to the fact that she was a mature woman.

Sighs

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 12, 2016
andersonbaba:

Oga am waiting for ur opinion. And an intellectual one this time grin grin

BARIDAMBABE, IT WILL BE METICULOUSLY SERVED WITH PERSPECTIVE TAKINGS FROM ALL ANGLES AND SYSTEMATICALLY. HONESTLY I AM MAKING A SUPERB BOOK OF ENLIGHTENMENT FROM THIS. PLEASE BE PATIENT. NO INVENTION COULD EVER TAKE THE HARD WORK OUT OF CREATING.
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Sinkills: 2:54pm On Sep 12, 2016
andersonbaba:

You seems to be making sense. But our 11yr old last born has a 40yr old cousin. At times we just call the man uncle as he got married late.
Please can you interprete what the Bible means by 'well-stricken' in years according to Luke 1:5-7,18). A forty-something year old to me is not well stricken in years. From the context, Zacharias and his wife Elizabeth had forgotten about child-bearing hence his serious doubt about being a father. That should put his wife well above 50. So her cousin Mary could not have been a 12 year old. So those trying to justify their marriage to children by trying to rope in Mary are like a drowning man trying to hold on to the straw. May God open their eyes to repent and turn to Christ before it becomes too late for them I J N, Amen.
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Sinkills: 2:59pm On Sep 12, 2016
andersonbaba:

Please can you interprete what the Bible means by 'well-stricken in years' according to Luke 1:5-7,18? A forty-something year old to me is not well stricken in years. From the context, Zacharias and his wife Elizabeth had forgotten about child-bearing hence his serious doubt about the possibility of becoming a father. That should put his wife well above 50. So her cousin Mary could not have been a 12 year old. So those trying to justify their marriage to children by trying to rope in Mary are like a drowning man trying to hold on to the straw. May God open their eyes to repent and turn to Christ before it becomes too late for them I J N, Amen.
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by andersonbaba(f): 9:07am On Sep 18, 2016
WORDWORLD:

BARIDAMBABE, IT WILL BE METICULOUSLY SERVED WITH PERSPECTIVE TAKINGS FROM ALL ANGLES AND SYSTEMATICALLY. HONESTLY I AM MAKING A SUPERB BOOK OF ENLIGHTENMENT FROM THIS. PLEASE BE PATIENT. NO INVENTION COULD EVER TAKE THE HARD WORK OUT OF CREATING.

hmmm
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by parisbookaddict(f): 9:37am On Sep 20, 2016
andersonbaba:

Bros, according t my research, 12yrs old was the age which a lady can be betrothed to a man. But she can only become a man after seeing her first menstruation which then makes her ripe for marriage. However, 12 yrs does not apply to a male chid

from my readings, its muslims that believe that any menstruating girl is a woman.
apparently you have spent too much time researching on Islamic sites trying to discredit mary or draw moral equivalence with Mohammed's pedophilia. you also said,
Bros, according t my research, 12yrs old was the age which a lady can be betrothed to a man

Send me links of your research sources claiming this.
i would like to read it.
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 28, 2016
andersonbaba:

hmmm

My dear andersonbaba BARIDAMBABE, think not that my answering your quest has been laid to rest in the grave of negligence.

With all honesty, just as I have told you that I am making a SUPERB BOOK out of this.

So, far a lot has been put on black and white starting from the very teeny bits scratch to the mega bug, with alternative and divergent snap shots of every detail so as not in the slightest give you an answer based on speculation but A PERFECTION IN PRECISION OF THE REALTIES, THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUEST, MY COGNITIVE OPINION.

The title of the book is going to be:

THE PEDOPHILE PROPHET. (That is the crux from which your quest sprung out from)

I will open a whole new thread, while I drop TREASURES one after the other for your catch.

I thought I should make you aware that am honestly on it. Kindly bear with me and since its no ACRIMONIOUS ARGUEMENT but an ENLIGHTENMENT, and the TRUTH you seek.

As long as you are being HONEST. You won't be DISAPPOINTED the least is that you will be FLABBERGASTED, BLOWN AWAY WITH REVELATORY INSIGHTS.

*ACRIMONIOUS ARGUEMENT: Arguements that are based on emotional bitterness, anger spite and not COGNITION, intellect, enlightenment, learning.

Do have a splendid day, your family and friends.

I wish you the very, very best in life today and forever.

Hopeful by my next post will be my COGNITIVE OPINION well served. I CAN SEE THAT YOU ARE INTELLIGENT, REALLY. AND THAT MAKES IT A SMOOTH AND NOT CROOKED PATH TO COGNITION. YOU WILL RESONATE WITH ME.

I am honestly on it. CHEERS!

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by true2god: 7:27pm On Sep 28, 2016
Farmerforlife:

I have defined paedophilia already. Islam does not permit any form of sexual contact with prepubescent children.
Quran 65:4:
'And those who no longer expect menstruation among your women - if you doubt, then their period is three months, and [also for] those who have not menstruated. And for those who are pregnant, their term is until they give birth. And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him of his matter ease.

If you read this ayah very well, you will see that it is acceptable, in Islam. to marry under age girls who are yet to see their first menstruation. Islam permits marriage and divorce for prebuscent girls.
ﯴ ﯵ ﯶ ﯷ ﯸ
65:5 ▶ Play

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Yankelaptops: 8:44pm On Sep 28, 2016
This article will answer two very common questions:

“How old was Mary (the mother of Jesus) when she became pregnant?” & “How old was Mary when she gave birth to our Lord Jesus, the Christ?”

Thousands of paintings, drawings, statues, and even “living manger scenes” portray Mary, Jesus’ mother, at the time of Jesus’ birth. However, most of them portray her as a young woman in her 20’s. To be sure, Mary was a remarkable woman. For one thing, she truly understood what it meant to sacrifice for the sake of doing God’s will, an example her son, Jesus, noted and would later follow. For example, apparently no one at that time, including she herself, was expecting the Messiah to be born of a virgin. This is why she asked the angel Gabriel how she was going to bear the Messiah when she was not married and sexually active (Luke 1:34), why Joseph decided to divorce her, and why, years later, the religious leaders still thought that Jesus was a bastard child, born of fornication (John 8:41 – KJV). She knew that accepting pregnancy from God would cause turmoil and pain to her and her loved ones, but she accepted God’s plan for her life, saying, “…Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word…”(Luke 1:38 – ESV [1]).

One very remarkable thing about Mary is that she would almost certainly have been 12-14 years old when the angel Gabriel appeared to her. We know this because the common custom at that time was for girls to marry early, at that age. The Bible never gives Mary’s age when she got pregnant or gave birth to Jesus, and that is because when something happened that was common in the culture, nothing was said about it. We write the same way today, leaving out any details that everyone knows by custom and culture. If we read in the newspaper that a thief drove down the road for miles while being chased by police, we do not think, “Drove? What is ‘drove?’ I wonder how he got down the road all that distance?” We all know what “drove down the road” means, so we exclude the details when we write about it.

Similarly, if I tell someone, “I called Dan and talked with him,” it is clear from our culture that I called on a telephone, even though I do not say it. Many years ago I was teaching my kids the Bible, and I read them that Deborah the prophetess “called Barak” (Judg. 4:6 – KJV). My little daughter interrupted me and wanted to know Barak’s phone number. Her comment made sense given her understanding of custom and culture.

In ancient Israel, girls married in their teens, even early teens. [2] For Mary to be betrothed (engaged) but not yet formally married, yet old enough to have and nurse the Messiah, she would have been 12-14. The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible points out, “It appears that both boys and girls were married very young. Later [after the New Testament period] the rabbis fixed the minimum age for marriage at twelve for girls and thirteen for boys.” [3]

Some customs of biblical Palestine continued through the centuries, and after her trip to the Near East around 1910, Alma White commented on the age of marriage in Palestine, “A girl is usually married in her twelfth or thirteenth year, and sometimes as early as her tenth year.” [4] W. M. Thompson, a missionary in the Middle East for some 30 years, attests to the same thing. [5] James Neil points out that everyone married, because they felt obligated to fulfill God’s command to be fruitful and multiply, and that, “Girls are ‘given in marriage’ at eleven or twelve years of age, though this is not the limit. They are frequently married as young as nine….” [6]

Marrying young was the custom in many ancient cultures. Two cultures that had particular influence on the biblical world were the Greeks and Romans. Isomachus, a character in the Greek writer Xenophon’s Oeconomics, mentions that when he married his wife, she was not yet fifteen. [7] Roman girls also married very young, sometimes even before puberty. [8]

Women married early because it was they who bore the children who continued the family line and provided economic strength and physical protection for the family, and it was generally desirable to have many children. Furthermore, lots of children died young, and many women died in childbirth. We know from Matthew and Luke that Mary was a virgin, and had never been married before, so her marriage age would have been set by common custom. Also, as was common, Mary had a large family, with at least seven children. Her male children were Jesus, James, Joseph, Simon and Judas (Matt. 13:55), and she had at least two daughters, for Jesus had “sisters” as well as brothers (Matt. 13:55 and 56). [9]

Boys also married early, but somewhat later than girls. Jewish boys were expected to marry at sixteen or seventeen. [10] Similarly, in the Roman world, the age at which a Roman boy discarded the white toga with a red border, the symbol of youth, and wore the pure white toga of a Roman man and citizen, was generally between 14 and 17. [11] Just how old Joseph was when he married Mary is not as easily determined as Mary’s age, because although men customarily married in their mid to late teens, for a number of reasons they sometimes married later.

It is often assumed that Joseph married late in his life, because it is almost certain that he had died by the time Jesus started his ministry. We draw this conclusion from a number of biblical records in which Joseph was conspicuously absent, culturally speaking. One is when Jesus moved his headquarters to Capernaum his mother and brothers came, but not his father (John 2:12). Even more significant is that while on the Cross, Jesus instructed the Apostle John to take care of his mother and told Mary to treat John as a son, which would never have occurred had Joseph been alive (John 19:26 and 27). However, the fact that Joseph was dead by the time Jesus was 30 does not necessarily mean that Joseph was a much older man when he married Mary, because many people died young from accidents or disease.

If we are going to paint a picture of the birth of Christ, or cast a woman for a living nativity scene, there is some room for interpretation, but if we want to show Mary as she actually was, having a girl of twelve to fourteen as an actor or model would be the most proper thing to do.

Endnotes

[1] Scripture quotations marked (ESV) are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version™ © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. All rights reserved.
[2] Philip King and Lawrence Stager, Life in Biblical Israel, (Westminster John Knox Press, Louisville, 2001), p. 37.
[3] Merrill C. Tenney, editor, The Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible (Regency Reference Library, Grand Rapids, MI, 1976), Vol. 4, “Marriage,” p. 96.
[4] Alma White, Jerusalem, Egypt, Palestine, Syria, (Pillar of Fire, Zarephath, New Jersey, 1936), p. 83, 173.
[5] W. M. Thompson, The Land and the Book, (Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, MI, 1880, reprinted 1973), p. 293.
[6] James Neil, Everyday Life in the Holy Land, (Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, London, 1913), p. 223.
[7] Robert Flaceliere, Love in Ancient Greece, (Crown Publishers, Inc., New York, 1962), p. 110; Mary Johnston, Roman Life, (Scott, Foresman and Company, Chicago, 1957), p. 145.
[8] Robert Flaceliere, Love in Ancient Greece, (Crown Publishers, Inc., New York, 1962), p. 115.
[9] It is sometimes said that these brothers and sisters were not Mary’s children, but that argument is not based on good exegesis or the natural reading of the text. The people of Nazareth, who made the statement, were not making a comment about Jesus’ relatives, but about his family.
[10] Alfred Edersheim, Sketches of Jewish Social Life, (William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, MI, reprinted 1979), p. 147.
[11] Mary Johnston, Roman Life, (Scott, Foresman and Company, Chicago, 1957), p. 146.
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 28, 2016
true2god:
Quran 65:4:
'And those who no longer expect menstruation among your women - if you doubt, then their period is three months, and [also for] those who have not menstruated. And for those who are pregnant, their term is until they give birth. And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him of his matter ease.

If you read this ayah very well, you will see that it is acceptable, in Islam. to marry under age girls who are yet to see their first menstruation. Islam permits marriage and divorce for prebuscent girls.
ﯴ ﯵ ﯶ ﯷ ﯸ
65:5 ▶ Play

Yes, a marriage and divorce contract is valid for prepubescent girls AND boys, I clearly said so earlier. I said that it is prohibited to engage in SEXUAL CONTACT with them. Why do I have to keep repeating the same statement, is there a comprehension problem here?

Please say something new or different. The cited verse above does not bring any new evidence to the discussion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Feanah(f): 11:07am On Sep 30, 2016
Please how many married Muslim girls do you see that are underaged these days?It's a thing of the past and then it was the norm to get married at an age like that.Agree some get married at the age of 14-16 even now but let's be honest ...
Even the girls that don't marry at that age,don't many of them engage in illicit relationships?we've girls nowadays that lose their dignity at the age of even 12 years all in the name of fun.
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Antina(f): 12:30am On Oct 01, 2016
Feanah:
Please how many married Muslim girls do you see that are underaged these days?It's a thing of the past and then it was the norm to get married at an age like that.Agree some get married at the age of 14-16 even now but let's be honest ...
Even the girls that don't marry at that age,don't many of them engage in illicit relationships?we've girls nowadays that lose their dignity at the age of even 12 years all in the name of fun.

Even less than 12yrs old, saw a lot whre I served. Higher percentage of them.
Re: The Reason Why Muslims Marry Under Age by Alhaji... by Feanah(f): 1:21am On Oct 01, 2016
Antina:

Even less than 12yrs old, saw a lot whre I served. Higher percentage of them.
nawao,May God help us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nl Islamic Section Hall Of Fame / Tribalism:the Problem Facing The Ummah In Nigeria / What Does The Islam Religion Say About Satan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.