Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,747 members, 7,831,381 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective (4817 Views)

Why Hausa and Yoruba muslim Have Not Attack Igbos / Why Hausa/fulanis Dont Cry Over Lagos Despite Huge Investment / Audio & Transcript Of Anti-Igbo Song In Hausa Language Now In Circulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ejanla07: 6:43am On Dec 24, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

anambra people are usually known for their cruelty and uncivilized/ tout-like tendencies when arguing....rather than argue reasonably u went too low far below normal human intellect to spur up confusion....enjoy ur slaughter

2016 you are yet to get over dis inferiority complex. . Sorry oooo. We anambra folks cant epp u
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:

So you think many people in the north who cannot speak English is a good thing

It's verry verry bad.
How can they be useful to our country if they cannot communicate with us down south or something.

I'm not saying that they should not learn Hausa o, but at least let them learn English and learn it well too.

@FriendChoice and @Fizznation, oya come and tell me your opinion on this.

It is not the matter of good or bad. Quotasystem simple means inability of a person to speak English does not guaranteed he is unlearned.

English is not the weighing machine for learning. In developed countries, they use their mother tongue.

It's time 4 Nigeria 2 declare Hausa as official language.

It's good to learn English language, and the other 3 major languages of the federation.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 24, 2016
Ejanla07:

2016 you are yet to get over dis inferiority complex. . Sorry oooo. We anambra folks cant epp u
who's is this slowpoke... go and give ur mama cucumber to fvck...that's the only thing una women sabi
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 10:41am On Dec 24, 2016
FriendChoice:

It is not the matter of good or bad. Quotasystem simple means inability of a person to speak English does not guaranteed he is unlearned.

English is not the weighing machine for learning. In developed countries, they use their mother tongue.

It's time 4 Nigeria 2 declare Hausa as official language.

It's good to learn English language, and the other 3 major languages of the federation.

English is not the weighing machine for learning, I agree, but with many of them up north not knowing how to speak English, sorry to say, they are of no use to the rest of Nigeria because they cannot communicate with the rest of us, and Southern Nigeria does not speak Hausa.

Making Igbo Yoruba and Hausa as official languages is not a bad idea tho, but how many Hausa people are willing to learn the other Nigerian languages?
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by sremmlyf(m): 10:42am On Dec 24, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

anambra people are usually known for their cruelty and uncivilized/ tout-like tendencies when arguing....rather than argue reasonably u went too low far below normal human intellect to spur up confusion....enjoy ur slaughter
it's lyk this reccession has eaten deep into ur empty skull??.must you add "Anambra people" if u you have any issue's with him then deal with it and stop dragging good people of anambra into this.how u even sure he's from anambra.gt some life bro!
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by QuotaSystem: 11:02am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:

So you think many people in the north who cannot speak English is a good thing

It's verry verry bad.
How can they be useful to our country if they cannot communicate with us down south or something.

I'm not saying that they should not learn Hausa o, but at least let them learn English and learn it well too.

@FriendChoice and @Fizznation, oya come and tell me your opinion on this.

Ugosample:

English is not the weighing machine for learning, I agree, but with many of them up north not knowing how to speak English, sorry to say, they are of no use to the rest of Nigeria because they cannot communicate with the rest of us, and Southern Nigeria does not speak Hausa.

Making Igbo Yoruba and Hausa as official languages is not a bad idea tho, but how many Hausa people are willing to learn the other Nigerian languages?

You sound as if everyone south of the Niger is capable of speaking and writing good English. We are all witnesses to the gruesome murder of proper grammar on this forum to start with, so quit fooling yourself with that false and fraudulent claim that most people in the South speak good English.

Are you completely ignorant of the fact that Russians, Chinese and Arabs speak worse English than is spoken over here?

I repeat, emphasize and assert that the ability to speak and write in English is not a measure of intelligence or literacy.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:

OK. Let everyone speak his language. Communication is still established between northerners and southerners despite the English barrier.

Sometimes southerners are ill informed by the media. Northerners go 2 school as well. They might not efficiently and fluently speak the language but they understand and communicate.

I ask you the same question how many Igbos and Yorubas are ready to learn Hausa language ? Many can already speak it.

Hausa is the second most widely spoken language in west Africa. It should be declare as second official language after English.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 11:07am On Dec 24, 2016
QuotaSystem:

You sound as if everyone south of the Niger is capable of speaking and writing good English. We are all witnesses to the gruesome murder of proper grammar on this forum to start with, so quit fooling yourself with that false and fraudulent claim that most people in the South speak good English.

Are you completely ignorant of the fact that Russians, Chinese and Arabs speak worse English than is spoken over here? I repeat, emphasize and assert that the ability to speak and write in English is not a measure of intelligence or literacy.

@Your first paragraph,;if course many southern people murder English too, but hey when it comes to spoken English, many Northern people can't even speak AT ALL when compared to the south.
and your last statement, I have agreed already, but still, without a basic grasp of English, you are handicapped in this world.
Remove Chinese from that list o, Chinese people, especially those under 18 speak English even better than us, yet they speak Flawless Chinese too.

Can't you guys up north adopt a policy to achieve same?
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 11:11am On Dec 24, 2016
FriendChoice:

OK. Let everyone speak his language. Communication is still established between northerners and southerner despite the English barrier.

Sometimes southerners are ill informed by the media. Northerners go 2 schools. They might not efficiently and fluently speak the language but they understand and communicate.

I ask you the same question how many Igbo and Yoruba are ready to learn Hausa language ? Many can already speak it.

Hausa is the second most widely spoken language in west Africa. It should be declare as second official language after English.

I have always wanted to learn Hausa tho, I did it in secondary school and it was fun; D

Funny enough, my Hausa teacher was an Igbo woman grin grin how ironic and she spoke well (she grew up there)

Daya biyu... Shidda,, chai I don forget..

then there are other words I remember like Ashirin, Wasa, yaya ne, etc

too bad, I have forgotten most of it
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by WomanOfRace(f): 11:14am On Dec 24, 2016
Go any where in the world and you will never miss an hausa person when you come in contact; their language is their identity. I'm an Igbo but I weep for us because of the rate we aspire to become everybody but nobody. We are losing fast on our identity, who we are , what we represent and what we stand for.

If I'm man, I wouldn't marry a woman that will find it a taboo to teach my mother tongue to my kids anywhere we are, likewise a woman I am.

It is even war now when a friend tried to make me stop speaking Igbo because I have arrived city and should drop anything that associates me to village girl. If I hear! who dash monkey banana? I'm an Igbo first, then the rest follows.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 11:16am On Dec 24, 2016
Or, why don't we make pidgin English self official language too, then let it evolve over the years by infusing Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba words into it like we have now, that will be a better way to unite the country tho (just thinking out loud)

For example, wahala is a Yoruba word but it is used in pidgin with the same meaning..

Akpu is used in pidgin too, and other words like that
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 24, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:
With all sincerity of heart i will be highly objective without been sentimental on the above topic we're going to discuss..before i start i want to remind us of the fracas that broke out between Reno Omokri and Femi fani kayode about the inclusion of Hausa language on facebook and omission of others as both were arguing for and against the use of Hausa language as a conquest language for the rest of Nigerians..
here is the thread incase you missed out https://www.nairaland.com/3322472/mark-zuckerberg-ffk-reno-omokri

Now back to the main discussion: i am very much familiar with northern Nigeria;South-southern Nigeria and South eastern Nigeria...the only part of Nigeria i don't know much about its people is just Yoruba and guess i have only been to South west only once at the university of Ibadan and UCH....all through my stay in Zaria; Kaduna state i noticed that more than 80% of its populace dont understand English even the drivers driving along ABUTH to ABU main gate along Zaria-Katsina expressway....if you speak English they will quickly tell you 'Ba aturenchi'...dont know if i got the spelling right...One thing again that amazed me was when i entered ABU teaching hospital Shika and had to communicate with a typist and this time around a Berom indigene from plateau state and he spoke hausa so fluently and i was surprised and asked him why he doesnt speak his own dialect and he told me Hausa was their central language in the north...i now came to understand that irrespective of your dialect in the north you just have to speak hausa which is highly commendable as unifying the people..

NOTE:am not justifying their inability to speak English rather encouraging their ability to promote their language..

NOW THE IGBO PERSPECTIVE
I will not underestimate the fact that the igbos are successful people but no one can of course have it all....the igbo as a tribe is HEAVILY LACKING IN AREA OF LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT....is not a new thing that many families in igbo land encourage their kids to learn ENGLISH first without making efforts to make sure they learn their dialects first; followed by central igbo.This is sickening.No matter how you teach your kids English you can NEVER make them speak like the owners of the language.
Secondly; i watch with kin interest how some set of igbos who cant speak their dialect make jest of certain other groups like Nsukka; Abakaliki; Ngwa who are so much proud of their dialect and speak it among themselves...those other groups who have thrown their dialect to the dust make jest of the formal of not knowing igbo enough without knowing that they are the ones that have problem...NO ONE OWES YOU ANY APOLOGY FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING HIS/HER DIALECT as they are natural selected and make a people retain their identity..rather when people of different clans mix the central igbo should be spoken.....peoples dialect are for their personal consumption and more people should be encouraged to speak central igbo just as the hausa language is in the north instead of dividing the people based on how their dialects are more closely related with the igbo language

Igbos should open up their language for others to learn and speak for the igbo language to grow and stop this inherent animalistic tendencies of who is more of a pure igbo based on dialect relatedness or not...If possible igbos can make south south minorities speak igbo while still retaining their indigenous language..a word is enough for the wise..

Proudly IGBO

OKEIGBO NNOO NU ; DEJEE NU; JOKWA UNU OO; TOKWEHU OOOO

cc lalsticlala mynd44

Rubbish. Some people spend their time hyping the north. It's not a truism that hausa is the most spoken language. It has not been proved and there is no data to back if up. Hence the premise of this senseless write up is questionable. Finally southerners need to have sense. Many of us are stupid.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:

I have always wanted to learn Hausa tho, I did it in secondary school and it was fun; D

Funny enough, my Hausa teacher was an Igbo woman grin grin how ironic and she spoke well (she grew up there)

Daya biyu... Shidda,, chai I don forget..

then there are other words I remember like Ashirin, Wasa, yaya ne, etc

too bad, I have forgotten most of it

You see. My first Hausa teacher is a Yoruba here in the north. But the fact is you cannot learn Hausa in primary or secondary school.

My Igala friend has higher scores than I in terminal exam. But I can speak and write Hausa more than him.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 11:20am On Dec 24, 2016
WomanOfRace:
Go any where in the world and you will never miss an hausa person when you come in contact; their language is their identity. I'm an Igbo but I weep for us because of the rate we aspire to become everybody but nobody. We are losing fast on our identity, who we are , what we represent and what we stand for.

If I'm man, I wouldn't marry a woman that will find it a taboo to teach my mother tongue to my kids anywhere we are, likewise a woman I am.

It is even war now when a friend tried to make me stop speaking Igbo because I have arrived city and should drop anything that associates me to village girl. If I hear! who dash monkey banana? I'm an Igbo first, then the rest follows.

It's unfortunate o, but the language cannot die as long as millions still live in the SE.
any language that survived till today (the internet age) cannot die.
Afterall, many Jewish people cannot speak Hebrew, yet they run this world, and many Chinese and Koreans who grew up in say U.S. UK or France cannot speak Chinese, but they are doing very fine too.

What will be worrisome is if those in the SE don't speak Igbo again, or those in the North don't speak Hausa again, but as long as the language is spoken at the origin, the language is not dying

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by QuotaSystem: 11:20am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:

@Your first paragraph,;if course many southern people murder English too, but hey when it comes to spoken English, many Northern people can't even speak AT ALL when compared to the south.
and your last statement, I have agreed already, but still, without a basic grasp of English, you are handicapped in this world.
Remove Chinese from that list o, Chinese people, especially those under 18 speak English even better than us, yet they speak Flawless Chinese too.

If broken English is your metric for stating the bolded, then you may be excused, because many southerners cannot speak English as well so there's really no basis for comparison. Otherwise that statement is completely false and is an indictment on your own capacity.

Regarding the Chinese, say what you know. I've lived among them and know exactly what I'm saying. Mandarin and English does not mix well

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:
Or, why don't we make pidgin English self official language too, then let it evolve over the years by infusing Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba words into it like we have now, that will be a better way to unite the country tho (just thinking out loud)

For example, wahala is a Yoruba word but it is used in pidgin with the same meaning..

E go make sense. Wahala is Hausa too and it has the same meaning.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by WomanOfRace(f): 11:24am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:

It's unfortunate o, but the language cannot die as long as millions still live in the SE.
any language that survived till today (the internet age) cannot die.
Afterall, many Jewish people cannot speak Hebrew, yet they run this world, and many Chinese and Koreans who grew up in say U.S. UK or France cannot speak Chinese, but they are doing very fine too.

What will be worrisome is if those in the SE don't speak Igbo again, or those in the North don't speak Hausa again, but as long as the language is spoken at the origin, the language is not dying

Daalu nwoke omma, jide ka iji. Okwu gi bu eziokwu.

Merry Christmas.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 11:31am On Dec 24, 2016
QuotaSystem:

If broken English is your metric for stating the bolded, then you may be excused, because many southerners cannot speak English as well so there's really no basis for comparison. Otherwise that statement is completely false and is an indictment on your own capacity.

Regarding the Chinese, say what you know. I've lived among them and know exactly what I'm saying. Mandarin and English does not mix well

Yea broken English, maybe...
If we all can speak broken English, then infuse our languages into it, that would be very good.
Besides, I stayed with Chinese people too when I was away, and they spoke English and French (because it was a French speaking country) and Mandarin.
Though they pronounce certain words funny grin grin they still spoke better than most people here
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 11:32am On Dec 24, 2016
WomanOfRace:

Daalu nwoke omma, jide ka iji. Okwu gi bu eziokwu.
Merry Christmas.
Daalu o.
Chukwu gozie gi

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 24, 2016
Ugosample:

Yea broken English, maybe...
If we all can speak broken English, then infuse our languages into it, that would be very good.
Besides, I stayed with Chinese people too when I was away, and they spoke English and French (because it was a French speaking country) and Mandarin.
Though they pronounce certain words funny grin grin they still spoke better than most people here

No You did not get his point.

Go back re-read the bolded text of the previous quote.

You claim northerners cannot speak English in comparison with southerners.

You made a grammatical error in writing that and a northerner is correcting you.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 11:43am On Dec 24, 2016
FriendChoice:

No You did not get his point.

Go back re-read the bolded text of the previous quote.

You claim northerners cannot speak English in comparison with southerners.

You made a grammatical error in writing that and a northerner is correcting you.

Yea, the bolded is not correct grammatically.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by aminho(m): 2:00am On Dec 26, 2016
Ugosample:

oga Chinese under 18 no dey speak any English oo i dey stay for china for years now,i know wetin i dey yarn

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 2:19am On Dec 26, 2016
aminho:
oga Chinese under 18 no dey speak any English oo i dey stay for china for years now,i know wetin i dey yarn

I'm talking of the ones I stayed with here in Africa (but not Nigeria tho, it was a French speaking country)
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Birniwa(m): 2:21am On Dec 26, 2016
I wonder if all these magg0ts objecting the above topic are really educated or even did go school at all. With all the technological advancements and plethora of realities at your forefront yet you still find it hard to research this and come in concordance with the truth?

Facebook owner and his team are not even Nigerians nor Africans but they are educated and know the reality before them.

Stop hating and gave the reality, the inclusion of Hausa on Facebook platform won't reduce you with anything.

2 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by aminho(m): 2:32am On Dec 26, 2016
Ugosample:

I'm talking of the ones I stayed with here in Africa (but not Nigeria tho, it was a French speaking country)
oh i understand but that should not be a yardstick to judge since you mentioned that they are in a foreign land,so definitely they must speak another language so as the hausa that you will meet outside

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 9:42am On Dec 26, 2016
aminho:
oh i understand but that should not be a yardstick to judge since you mentioned that they are in a foreign land,so definitely they must speak another language so as the hausa that you will meet outside

Nice.
So are you Hausa too?
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 26, 2016
There need not be a conflict here. A child can learn multiple languages comfortable, and just as someone said rightly, eloquence of any language isn't an indication of wisdom or intelligence. Also, this problem isn't unique to Igbos. We also have people within the S/west who would rather not associate with the Yoruba language-though In the minority. However I would conclude that this problem is more predominant with Indigenes of S/S Nigeria rather than Igbos. The vast majority of my Igbo friends are proud speakers of the Igbo language.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by lacasera14(m): 6:14pm On Dec 26, 2016
It's alright
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:57pm On Dec 26, 2016
SuperS1Panther:

Their religion is their culture.

Their religion is imported, so, Hausa is an eroded culture
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by EazyMoh(m): 9:01pm On Dec 26, 2016
Ugosample:

Lol! Wahala is actually originally a Hausa word.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by aminho(m): 2:25pm On Jan 10, 2017
Ugosample:

Nice.
So are you Hausa too?
yes i am0

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo Prostrating For The Ooni Of Ife Surfaces Again (Photos) / Channels TV Attack APC Government, See Twitter Response / No Amount Of Rigging Can Make Yahaya Bello Win, See Ratio Of Pvc's Collected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.