Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,710 members, 7,813,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective (4787 Views)

Why Hausa and Yoruba muslim Have Not Attack Igbos / Why Hausa/fulanis Dont Cry Over Lagos Despite Huge Investment / Audio & Transcript Of Anti-Igbo Song In Hausa Language Now In Circulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 04, 2016
With all sincerity of heart i will be highly objective without been sentimental on the above topic we're going to discuss..before i start i want to remind us of the fracas that broke out between Reno Omokri and Femi fani kayode about the inclusion of Hausa language on facebook and omission of others as both were arguing for and against the use of Hausa language as a conquest language for the rest of Nigerians..
here is the thread incase you missed out https://www.nairaland.com/3322472/mark-zuckerberg-ffk-reno-omokri

Now back to the main discussion: i am very much familiar with northern Nigeria;South-southern Nigeria and South eastern Nigeria...the only part of Nigeria i don't know much about its people is just Yoruba and guess i have only been to South west only once at the university of Ibadan and UCH....all through my stay in Zaria; Kaduna state i noticed that more than 80% of its populace dont understand English even the drivers driving along ABUTH to ABU main gate along Zaria-Katsina expressway....if you speak English they will quickly tell you 'Ba aturenchi'...dont know if i got the spelling right...One thing again that amazed me was when i entered ABU teaching hospital Shika and had to communicate with a typist and this time around a Berom indigene from plateau state and he spoke hausa so fluently and i was surprised and asked him why he doesnt speak his own dialect and he told me Hausa was their central language in the north...i now came to understand that irrespective of your dialect in the north you just have to speak hausa which is highly commendable as unifying the people..

NOTE:am not justifying their inability to speak English rather encouraging their ability to promote their language..

NOW THE IGBO PERSPECTIVE
I will not underestimate the fact that the igbos are successful people but no one can of course have it all....the igbo as a tribe is HEAVILY LACKING IN AREA OF LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT....is not a new thing that many families in igbo land encourage their kids to learn ENGLISH first without making efforts to make sure they learn their dialects first; followed by central igbo.This is sickening.No matter how you teach your kids English you can NEVER make them speak like the owners of the language.
Secondly; i watch with kin interest how some set of igbos who cant speak their dialect make jest of certain other groups like Nsukka; Abakaliki; Ngwa who are so much proud of their dialect and speak it among themselves...those other groups who have thrown their dialect to the dust make jest of the formal of not knowing igbo enough without knowing that they are the ones that have problem...NO ONE OWES YOU ANY APOLOGY FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING HIS/HER DIALECT as they are natural selected and make a people retain their identity..rather when people of different clans mix the central igbo should be spoken.....peoples dialect are for their personal consumption and more people should be encouraged to speak central igbo just as the hausa language is in the north instead of dividing the people based on how their dialects are more closely related with the igbo language

Igbos should open up their language for others to learn and speak for the igbo language to grow and stop this inherent animalistic tendencies of who is more of a pure igbo based on dialect relatedness or not...If possible igbos can make south south minorities speak igbo while still retaining their indigenous language..a word is enough for the wise..

Proudly IGBO

OKEIGBO NNOO NU ; DEJEE NU; JOKWA UNU OO; TOKWEHU OOOO

cc lalsticlala mynd44

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by nrexzy: 10:56am On Sep 04, 2016
#proudlyngwa grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Flexherbal(m): 10:57am On Sep 04, 2016
The last paragraph is good.
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by nasiest(m): 11:16am On Sep 04, 2016
Biafrauds
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Boleyndynasty2(f): 11:18am On Sep 04, 2016
I like this, it's really annoying seeing some parents not teach their kids the igbo language. Sppeak and teach your kids igbo at home and allow the school teach em English simple.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by nasiest(m): 11:18am On Sep 04, 2016
That's why north is the only place you find all the tribes in Nigeria. Northerners are sincere and accomodating.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 04, 2016
So all this rubbish you wrote there proofs that hausa is the most spoken language in nigeria undecided pls seun mund44 move this worthless piece of junk to the culture section

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by princemillla(m): 11:34am On Sep 04, 2016
ANAMBRA11:
So all this rubbish you wrote there proofs that hausa is the most spoken language in nigeria undecided pls seun mund44 move this worthless piece of junk to the culture section

Read it well, he is imploring Igbos to adopt igbo speaking across all igbo land as houses speak house dialect thruout in the noth

12 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Luckymay(f): 12:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
Abu m nwa afo igbo. But the way igbos hype the Queens language is sickening. You hardly hear an igbo indigent conversing with the language in public. Even In the place of work, they will back up their silliness with the excuse of English being the official language. I remember accompanying my sister to her place of work in one of the South West States... The way the yorubas were communicating with their language excited me. But when my sis wanted to collect something from her igbo colleague, she used the almighty "official language" and it was a Saturday o.
The way we are going, I won't be surprised if the coming generation gives igbo language a run into extinction.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by babyfaceafrica: 12:50pm On Sep 04, 2016
Lolz
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Bari22: 1:09pm On Sep 04, 2016
Hausa never play with two things,Their culture (language, dress and others) and then religion.

3 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by amliftedhigher: 1:47pm On Sep 04, 2016
Because of education Igbos became versatile in world languages. How many Hausa man or woman can communicate in English? For you to do business with them you must force yourself to speak Hausa or you get an interpreter. Even the president can not communicate very well in English. Hausa language is popular because that is the only way to relate with them. Unlike the Yoruba's and Igbos who can communicate in many world languages like English, French and German etc.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by kettle84(m): 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2016
nasiest:
That's why north is the only place you find all the tribes in Nigeria. Northerners are sincere and accomodating.
accommodating indeed, yet every year there is two or more major outbreak of religious violence that take away lives. I have not travelled to northern Nigeria because of this particular reason.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by kettle84(m): 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2016
Luckymay:
Abu m nwa afo igbo. But the way igbos hype the Queens language is sickening. You hardly hear an igbo indigent conversing with the language in public. Even In the place of work, they will back up their silliness with the excuse of English being the official language. I remember accompanying my sister to her place of work in one of the South West States... The way the yorubas were communicating with their language excited me. But when my sis wanted to collect something from her igbo colleague, she used the almighty "official language" and it was a Saturday o.
The way we are going, I won't be surprised if the coming generation gives igbo language a run into extinction. Igbos must embrace their language. The next generation must embrace it.ethnicity is becoming entrenched in Nigeria and igbos can not be left out.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by arushiuga(m): 2:18pm On Sep 04, 2016
nasiest:
Biafrauds
You had a horrible dream so you decided to vent your fraudstration on igbos. Ofeke

3 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Dainfamous: 2:25pm On Sep 04, 2016
Igbo language is widely spoken among 40million people is a universal language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by ezeagu(m): 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by SuperS1Panther: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2016
Bari22:
Hausa never play with two things,Their culture (language, dress and others) and then religion.
Their religion is their culture.

2 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2016
nrexzy:
#proudlyngwa grin
am happy for you
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 8:52pm On Sep 04, 2016
ANAMBRA11:
anambra people are usually known for their cruelty and uncivilized/ tout-like tendencies when arguing....rather than argue reasonably u went too low far below normal human intellect to spur up confusion....enjoy ur slaughter

7 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Pidggin(f): 8:57pm On Sep 04, 2016
People are feeding their families from their knowledge of English language. We should feel sorry for the majority of Northerners who are missing out on these opportunities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Almaiga: 9:52pm On Sep 04, 2016
Pidggin:
People are feeding their families from their knowledge of English language. We should feel sorry for the majority of Northerners who are missing out on these opportunities

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by QuotaSystem: 5:19am On Sep 05, 2016
Pidggin:

Just like we should feel sorry for the majority of Russians, Chinese and Germans who are unable to speak English and therefore cannot feed their families right?

This is what bigotry laced with chronic inferiority complex can do to the brain.

18 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Pidggin(f): 5:34am On Sep 05, 2016
QuotaSystem:

Just like we should feel sorry for the majority of Russians, Chinese and Germans who are unable to speak English and therefore cannot feed their families right?

This is what bigotry laced with chronic inferiority complex can do to the brain.

Something I noticed about you people from the North is that you seem to enjoy the fact that majority of your brethrens are not learned and cannot communicate in any foreign language.

I hope you know that the world is now a global village and those who know at least one major foreign language fluently are earning $$$ from it. Besides this, if you can fluently communicate in it your opportunities are endless

But I am not surprised that as usual you will see people defending something that should be a cause of concern. How many of your people have you encouraged to go to school? Hausa can be learned in their homes but why is it that majority of your people cannot even communicate in the simplest English?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by babyfaceafrica: 6:09am On Sep 05, 2016
We all should learn our languages,charity they say begubs at home....see the chinese,russians and germans don't play with their languages,but some of us detest it...we ridicle those even studying in school...I have seen people make jest of students studying igbo,yoruba and hausa...and praising people studying English....inferiority complex will kill some people!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Pavore9: 6:27am On Sep 05, 2016
Pidggin:

Never mistake nor tie the level of proficiency in the English language to economic empowerment. BBC did a documentary titled Forgetting Igbo (which l had saved into my phone while it was airing) which reflects how the Igbos are loosing their linguistic identity.

https://player.fm/series/documentaries-bbc-world-service/forgetting-igbo

I and my siblings were born and raised in Lagos but my parents ensured that what was spoken at home was only Igbo and that instilled deep proficiency of both parents dialects. Growing up we the kids only got to communicate in Yoruba and English outside our home, having neighbours from Mbaise, Mbano, Owerri, Nnewi, Orafite and Onitsha enriched and diversified our spoken igbo.

My proficiency in both the Igbo and Yoruba languages has opened doors for me outside Nigeria. There is nothing wrong in understanding and communicating in English language but not at the loss of one's linguistic identity as Italian, Japanese, Spanish, German etc will never give way to the English language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Pidggin(f): 6:45am On Sep 05, 2016
Pavore9:

Never mistake nor tie the level of proficiency in the English language to economic empowerment. BBC did a documentary titled Forgetting Igbo (which l had saved into my phone while it was airing) which reflects how the Igbos are loosing their linguistic identity.

https://player.fm/series/documentaries-bbc-world-service/forgetting-igbo

I and my siblings were born and raised in Lagos but my parents ensured that what was spoken at home was only Igbo and that instilled deep proficiency of both parents dialects. Growing up we the kids only got to communicate in Yoruba and English outside our home, having neighbours from Mbaise, Mbano, Owerri, Nnewi, Orafite and Onitsha enriched and diversified our spoken igbo.

My proficiency in both the Igbo and Yoruba languages has opened doors for me outside Nigeria. There is nothing wrong in understanding and communicating in English language but not at the loss of one's linguistic identity as Italian, Japanese, Spanish, German etc will never give way to the English language.

The last time I passed through the East all I heard was Igbo, every single person was speaking it. Your assumptions are exaggerated, please visit any town in the East and see for yourself
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Pavore9: 6:58am On Sep 05, 2016
Pidggin:

The last time I passed through the East all I heard was Igbo, every single person was speaking it. Your assumptions are exaggerated, please visit any town in the East and see for yourself

I lived and worked in the rural areas of Anambra and Enugu for some years, igbo is what is spoken there but how many of their relatives living outside the East communicate in Igbo with their Children? I have relatives who are my age mates, also born and raised in Lagos but cannot communicate with me in Igbo! English is what is spoken to kids in most igbo homes outside the East, l respect parents who still stick to having their children speaking igbo at home.

2 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by QuotaSystem: 7:35am On Sep 05, 2016
Pidggin:

Something I I've noticed about you people from the North is that you seem to enjoy the fact that majority a/the majority of your brethrens brethren are not learned and cannot communicate in any foreign language.

I hope you know that the world is now a global village and those who know at least one major foreign language fluently are earning $$$ from it. Besides this, if you can fluently communicate in it your opportunities are endless

But I am not surprised that as usual you will see people defending something that should be a cause of for concern. How many of your people have you encouraged to go to school? Hausa can be learned in their homes but why is it that majority a/the majority of your people cannot even communicate in the simplest English?

A person who cannot speak English is unlearned? What school(s) did you attend if any?

Go and also learn to write, speak, and communicate in English correctly before you admonish others to do so.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Pidggin(f): 8:40am On Sep 05, 2016
QuotaSystem:

A person who cannot speak English is unlearned? What school(s) did you attend if any?

Go and also learn to write, speak, and communicate in English correctly before you admonish others to do so.

If I didn't go to school I wouldn't be able to write, or would I? So what's the point of being sarcastic here?

In Nigeria if you can't speak English it means you aren't educated. I believe you know why so what's the point of acting naive or are you really this simple? I mean, English should be taught in every school as it is our official language

You corrected my previous post? grin Well thanks, at least I write better than most Fulani herdsmen, Boko Haram warriors or even your average mai suya grin Heck, I even write better than PMB, I am 100% sure of this.

Lol, smh, I bet you've never used these words before? Smh again cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 06, 2016
Mynd44 OAM4J lalasticlala front page please....our igbo brethren need to learn something from this
Re: Why Hausa Language Is The Most Spoken: Igbo Perspective by Ugosample(m): 2:11am On Dec 24, 2016
QuotaSystem:

So you think many people in the north who cannot speak English is a good thing

It's verry verry bad.
How can they be useful to our country if they cannot communicate with us down south or something.

I'm not saying that they should not learn Hausa o, but at least let them learn English and learn it well too.

@FriendChoice and @Fizznation, oya come and tell me your opinion on this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate President Applauds Governor Ugwuanyi For Promoting National Unity / I Almost Threw-up Driving Through This Lagos Road - Photos / Breaking: Sunday Adeyemo Igboho is a good man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.