Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber (26554 Views)

22 Essential Tips For Uber, Oga-taxi & Taxify Drivers / Uber Car That Arrived To Pick Up A Lady In Ghana (Photos) / FRSC ‘can No Longer’ Impose Fines, Court Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by luswitz(f): 9:33pm On Sep 06, 2016
Wingback:

I drive a car so what's your point?

When I had to travel to NY, A mile was like $15 that's excessive
mmmmm!
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 06, 2016
Ok, tell me how much Uber charges passenger per mile?
I doubt any driver can make a living wage unless they work something like 18hours per day.
alt3r3g0:

Like i said earlier, dont comment on what u know little of.

The over 100k is his own take home. I know this because he drives for me. Asides uber fees, fuel and other expense, i still get an average 60k per week and he hardly works weekend. This was before the summer holidays though.
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by bravolad(m): 11:01pm On Sep 06, 2016
For the driver & vehicle owner, Uber in Abuja makes no sense. It's energy sapping. The rates are very poor, riders are rude to drivers and most of them are irrational as they abuse the platform because it's cheap.

The current economic realities have made people to continue to drive on the platform. I bet most drivers will leave as soon as things improve.

Uber would have been a good platform if it's properly organised to benefit the drivers & partners alike as well as de-register rude and irrational riders from the platform. You find all manner of riders on the platform both those who ordinarily should not ride on such vehicles. Most of these riders are those who cannot afford regular taxis but will come to Uber and occupy the car owner's seat as lords with utmost disrespect to the drivers some of whom have degree and master certificates. This also depicts the falsehood in most Abuja residents.

In Lagos however, I think the prices are relatively okay for the partners & drivers, and as such drivers and partners can make a living.
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by hotspec(m): 11:32pm On Sep 06, 2016
GenBuhari:
[size=18pt]Uber ends

I support the Lagos govt.

Uber breaks regulations and avoids paying taxes all over the world and makes its money by exploiting and under paying its drivers.

Uber has no future because its business model of exploiting its drivers who happen to be the backbone of its business is flawed and this would be their down fall.

I give Uber maximum 3 years before it implodes and disappears.
[/size]
Its like u dont know how Uber operates..Kindly google to update. Technically, Uber has no driver. They have what is called driver-partner. Get a good car u want to use for taxi, register with them, get ur gps...
https://help.uber.com/h/738d1ff7-5fe0-4383-b34c-4a2480efd71e
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by ValueAddin: 11:39pm On Sep 06, 2016
I think one of the things not emphasized on Uber is this: The cars are comprehensively insured so even the passengers are insured against any eventualities. You cannot get this with normal yellow cab services.

I am an active Uber user and I must say I prefer it. Why?

1. I prefer having to call a taxi from the comfort of wherever I am than standing by the road side to flag down a taxi.

2. I did a rough calculation of being stuck in traffic for about 3 hours. If a journey takes me say extra 3 hours due to traffic , I get to pay about N1,620 (N9*180mins) extra which makes sense since i would even be in a fully airconditioned vehicle rather than sweating in a yellow cab with a grumbling yellow cab driver who would want to hike the previously agreed fare.

3. I can easily call back the uber driver if I happen to forget any valuable in his vehicle.

4. I get a lot of free rides due to my promo code so I pay less eventually.

5. Hey, the app is so tech as well. Besides I can get chauffered in a cool ride for corporate and social events without hassles.

This is just to mention but a few pros.

I would expect that the proposed laws should be properly accessed before being implemented, taking into cognisance the peculiarity of this kind of service.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by Dotng: 12:10am On Sep 07, 2016
linearity:
Uber is the proverbial cat with nine lives! They have survived in the US and many western countries despite the fierce attack from the statuesque because of their tenacity and the company is very good at arm twisting.

Previously, Newark NJ ban Uber from the Newark International Airport, NJ USA which is a lucrative hop for passengers. In fact Uber drivers were arrested and some posted their horrible experience on YouTube, not long after the local Taxi Union celebrated a new milestone, the signing of a deal in the city that meant a death nail to Uber. Then the State sponsored a bill to ensure the burial will be a foregone conclusion.

Then Uber spring into action, sensing the big money to be made...they started paying the fines of any Uber driver that got a ticket, just send them the picture of the ticket and the prove that you have paid it and viola you got your money back!

They then brought in some mouth watering deal that the city can just resist and viola! Newark International Airport is a second parking lot for Uber drivers waiting to pick passengers.

As for that state law? Well, it has been drastically watered down. Now some in the local taxi union sensing the loosing battle have upgraded the look of their taxi and have signed up with Uber and now carrying GPS and working for Uber...intact, most TLC cab drivers in New York City are Uber drivers as well.

Über has perfected this strategy and rolls it out in any city with potentials to make them money. Bottomline, these laws will not make Uber to leave as long as there is money to be made, if anything they will affect the local cab services that does not have the financial might of an international company first, before they start affecting Uber.

Secondly, the demography that used Uber in Nigeria are influential after all if one can choose to pay N3,500 for a trip that would have cost just N150, they are not push overs. Lagos, just need money, and Uber will give them a deal that they will not refuse, my fears is...the local cab company which this new law is purported to help...will not be fully represented at the meeting, when that deal is made.
This makes much sense.
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by alt3r3g0: 12:23am On Sep 07, 2016
GenBuhari:
Ok, tell me how much Uber charges passenger per mile?
I doubt any driver can make a living wage unless they work something like 18hours per day.

My driver works average of 12 hrs per day...seldom works Saturdays (6hrs max if at all) and never on sundays. You need to see how many drivers are trying to get on the platform. Just drive by their office.
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by Gideonachas: 12:45am On Sep 07, 2016
AutoJoshNG:
Uber has enjoyed a good ride in Lagos, but it may be set for a few bumps.

During its two years in operation, the ride-hailing app has, Uber says, “facilitated” over a million trips. After its first 16 months, Ebi Atawodi, general manager of Uber Nigeria, claimed the service grew 30% faster in Lagos than it did in its first 16 months in London. Despite the rise of competitors, Uber has remained popular with many Nigerians. But a recent regulation drive by the state government in Lagos could throw a spanner in its wheels.

The state government has reiterated its intent to regulate taxi operations using a franchise system. It enshrined this in a law back in 2012, and adopted the corresponding regulation at the start of this year, but up until now there’s been no attempt to enforce it.

Under this model, taxi operators must register with the state and get a franchise license. Franchises can include up to 50 cars at a cost of 100,000 naira (about $320) per car. That’s a problem for Uber, which depends on private cars signing up to work with its service and doesn’t require them to register with the state.

The state’s newfound enthusiasm for its own regulations is likely to mean a crackdown on Uber drivers. They’re usually easy to spot since they tend to drive newer cars and to carry GPS devices, a rarity in Lagos. Already, there are reports of frequent stops by law enforcement officers. An Uber spokesperson told Quartz the company is “actively working with the regulators” to shape its future in Nigeria. But in the short term its service could be disrupted.

While the state claims its new regulations are meant to increase the safety and security of passengers, they could just be a way for it to make some extra revenue. Lagos’s stance is in contrast to the position of federal lawmakers, who earlier this year, passed a resolution to integrate ride-sharing into national transport policies. Though non-binding, the resolution is a “first step towards legislation” which could compel states across the country to embrace ride-sharing policies.

By Quartz Africa

http://autojosh.com/lagos-to-impose-new-taxi-rules-to-clamp-down-on-services-like-uber/

that's hw they talk without enforcement
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by Nobody: 2:08am On Sep 07, 2016
ok , tell me now how much Uber pays per mile. Tell me does Uber pay you, and you then pay your drivers? Presumably you own or lease the cars.
alt3r3g0:

My driver works average of 12 hrs per day...seldom works Saturdays (6hrs max if at all) and never on sundays. You need to see how many drivers are trying to get on the platform. Just drive by their office.
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by mywells: 5:24am On Sep 07, 2016
This APC government are making life hard more for entrepreneurs. uber are creating job employment for people,APC has nothing to offer rather than to tax make those lIRS dogs to fat at the mercy of the people.Lagos state taxi is now recketi nothing to do to upgrade it.those in charge of Lagos state taxi has low thinking faculty, starting from ayetoro,1,2 vice and their executives.
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by alt3r3g0: 6:50am On Sep 07, 2016
GenBuhari:
ok , tell me now how much Uber pays per mile. Tell me does Uber pay you, and you then pay your drivers? Presumably you own or lease the cars.

This is how it works.

When you put your car on the Uber platform, you are given an app that connects you to riders or passengers. You pay uber 20% or 25% fee for using their app (they exclude tolls).

Some riders pay with cash or card. The ones that pay with cash.. you keep. The ones that pay with card pays directly to Uber. Uber then deducts their share (20% or 25%) from the amount of money paid to their account and pays the balance to your account. You then settle your driver based on what you both have agreed.

So basically you are the one paying uber and not the other way round.

For example if you make a total of 100k a week,
People pay cash of 70k and card 30k, Uber takes 25k (25%)and pays you 5k. So you still get 75k in total. You dont sign any bond and the day you want to stop you dont need to give any notice or anything.

And to your question, Uber x is 400 base fare + 90/km + 9 per minute; Select is 500 base + 10/km + 10/min.
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by lurdkriss: 10:05am On Sep 07, 2016
Lagos state and their frudulent way of generating revenue, u don't do anything for the masses,they try to make ends meet,now u bring up one stupid law, after forcing drivers to apply for their senceless lasdri card even tho they have the national drivers licence
Greed go finish dis country very soon,the way things are going,
One day, everybody go carry gun make d country kuku spoil kpatakpata
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by lourash(m): 12:47pm On Sep 07, 2016
ValueAddin:
I think one of the things not emphasized on Uber is this: The cars are comprehensively insured so even the passengers are insured against any eventualities. You cannot get this with normal yellow cab services.

I am an active Uber user and I must say I prefer it. Why?

1. I prefer having to call a taxi from the comfort of wherever I am than standing by the road side to flag down a taxi.

2. I did a rough calculation of being stuck in traffic for about 3 hours. If a journey takes me say extra 3 hours due to traffic , I get to pay about [b]N1,620 (N90*180mins) [/b]extra which makes sense since i would even be in a fully airconditioned vehicle rather than sweating in a yellow cab with a grumbling yellow cab driver who would want to hike the previously agreed fare.

3. I can easily call back the uber driver if I happen to forget any valuable in his vehicle.

4. I get a lot of free rides due to my promo code so I pay less eventually.

5. Hey, the app is so tech as well. Besides I can get chauffered in a cool ride for corporate and social events without hassles.

This is just to mention but a few pros.

I would expect that the proposed laws should be properly accessed before being implemented, taking into cognisance the peculiarity of this kind of service.

YOU ARE PAYING 9 Naira Per Minutes not 90 Naira
Re: Lagos To Impose New Taxi Rules To Clamp Down On Services Like Uber by ValueAddin: 6:17pm On Sep 07, 2016
lourash:

YOU ARE PAYING 9 Naira Per Minutes not 90 Naira

Thanks. I meant N9.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Nigerians Behave As Car Owners / This 202-mph Audi RS7 Sportback From Addamor Is The World’s Fastest Armoured Car / 450 BMW's Worth N5.5b Damaged In Sandstorm While Travelling From Germany To UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.