Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,351 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs (32198 Views)

How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? / Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 10, 2016
TRAY2:
Toyota corolla, bank type is the real deal...50 litre tank takes me from the mainland to the Island for one and half weeks, with traffic and AC.

Wow!

But u have not answer the question sir
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by rockiedink(m): 7:53am On Sep 10, 2016
shortgun:
OP, more plugs doesn't mean more fuel consumption.
My Car is 12plugs.
The model of my car also has a 4plugs version, ironically my friend who has d 4plugs version complains of High fuel consumption.

There are so many factors dat determines fuel consumption.
Pattern of driving.
age of engine(not age of car)
Maintenance
Type of fuel used.
Tyre pressure n type of tyres used
E. T. C

Which car is that...German?
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by ogawisdom(m): 7:54am On Sep 10, 2016
GREATP1:
Please I need the experts in the house to enlighten me on the fuel consumption RATIO of SIX PLUGS engine compare to FOUR PLUGS engine. I want to buy RX 300 and I am a bit concern about the fuel consumption. E.g, if FOUR PLUGS consumption 50 litres of fuel in a journey, how many litres will SIX PLUGS likely consume? Thanks

D difference will b more pronounced in city driving with stop n go traffic, in high way d difference shld b negligible if engine size difference is close like 2.4 I4 n 3.0l v6. Yes engine size is a big factor too a 3.3l or 3.5l v6 will consume fuel more than 3.0l v6 other things being equal. Also 1.4l, 1.6l, 1.8l or 2.0l I4 will consume less fuel than 2.2l or 2.4l I4 other things being equal.

Ur comparison is nt gonna b on point until we kw engine details

If 1.4l I4 uses 50l for a trip d4 ur Lexus 3.0l v6 might use abt 85/90l or more for same trip ie an estimate cool

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by InvertedHammer: 8:02am On Sep 10, 2016
GREATP1:
Please I need the experts in the house to enlighten me on the fuel consumption RATIO of SIX PLUGS engine compare to FOUR PLUGS engine. I want to buy RX 300 and I am a bit concern about the fuel consumption. E.g, if FOUR PLUGS consumption 50 litres of fuel in a journey, how many litres will SIX PLUGS likely consume? Thanks
/
There are many variables when it comes to fuel consumption.

My car has 16 plugs. Yet I can't tell any difference in fuel consumption vs. my V6 engine. Newer 4 cylinder cars have considerable power to get you around. If fuel is a big concern, then you cannot afford a car.
\

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Ifebazz(m): 8:06am On Sep 10, 2016
Itulah:

At the bold, V6 will consume 30ltrs with Air Condition and 45litrs without Air Condition, that`s on a Highway journey.
So you are saying that the vehicle will consume less fuel with AC on than without it? Please enlighten us a tad. Thanks.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 10, 2016
Itulah:

It is not an exact figure, but will definitely save more at high speed with AC on

Do you know the Aerodynamics effect on a vehicle, whose windows are wound down and it is at a top speed let's say 130km/h? It is more like racing on a wide wind with a deployed parachute. The OP is asking how much will it consume on a journey; underline that. If you guys have settle down to read your vehicle utility manual, you would understand that the manufacturer gave reasons why you must wind up your side windows when traveling on highway with your HVAC system to save fuel.
If I can use 37ltrs of fuel from Lagos to Benin on a 3.5L V6 2002 Infiniti QX4 heavy, with AC ON I do not see the argument.
Oga this epistle ain't necessary, how did you calculate the amount of fuel that will be consumed on a JOURNEY without the MPG and distance travelled.
That's the empirical formulae we are waiting for.
below is your post I'm having ish with, or does a journey have a definite distance?
Itulah:

At the bold, V6 will consume 30ltrs with Air Condition and 45litrs without Air Condition, that`s on a Highway journey.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by twinskenny(m): 8:15am On Sep 10, 2016
TRAY2:
Toyota corolla, bank type is the real deal...50 litre tank takes me from the mainland to the Island for one and half weeks, with traffic and AC.
wow which part of mainland pls
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by shortgun(m): 8:28am On Sep 10, 2016
rockiedink:

Yea German. Benz C320,V6,3.2lrt naturally aspirated.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by GoodSide: 8:36am On Sep 10, 2016
na by ac.
why do nigerians think using ac is life.
na by v4 or v6.
no go buy car for olx dey happy o..
wise up

mk dem come package better car with dead engine sell give you..omo na gbosa for u o
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 10, 2016
Itulah:

Am sure mean 45l with AC and 30l without AC
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Danfuster(m): 9:03am On Sep 10, 2016
Ifebazz:

So you are saying that the vehicle will consume less fuel with AC on than without it? Please enlighten us a tad. Thanks.

Yes, it will consume more fuel on a highway drive. Cos you compromise the efficiency of your car when ur windows are down. Air rushing into the car acts like a parachute and causes drag... Therefore you'd have to throttle more to get a relatively desired speed, as you know... More speed equals more fuel. But with your windows up your car cuts through the air seamlessly

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by TheNas: 9:06am On Sep 10, 2016
Consumption of fuel depend on capacity of the engine. So if the capacity is 2.0ltrs it consume less than 2.4ltrs even though the 2.0ltrs has six plugs while the 2.4ltrs has four plugs.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Danfuster(m): 9:09am On Sep 10, 2016
rockiedink:

it has to be a German bro and I suspect benz, I know of a V8 16plugs and it's not even a 20th century model
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by AngryNigerian(m): 9:09am On Sep 10, 2016
TRAY2:

Which model is "bank type" pls...& I will be glad if you can link me with someone dat i can buy it from...
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Danfuster(m): 9:19am On Sep 10, 2016
AngryNigerian:

Which model is "bank type" pls...& I will be glad if you can link me with someone dat i can buy it from...

you better be careful, this one you're wanting someone to link you up for a buy. Don't be lazy and do a thorough research before dealing or buying a regret.

If you indecisive about what you want or need honest opinions as to what fits you, you should contact the auto gurus in the car section I.e GAZZUZ, SIENA, KINGREIGN

pls.. We hate and are bored with stories that touch on NL.

My hard-earned 2kobo

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by honmusa(m): 9:30am On Sep 10, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Engineer AyƩ grin grin grin must you comment?

I'm queuing behind you waiting for his empirical formulae as well. grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by cosade(m): 9:34am On Sep 10, 2016
Firmjudge:

Its the other way round.

40+ litter with air con and 30+ litter without aircon

On a highway, car consumes less fuel with AC on.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by kingreign(m): 9:36am On Sep 10, 2016
Itulah:

Prove this your comments pls. I need empirical evidence.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by kingreign(m): 9:38am On Sep 10, 2016
anneki:
Below are the fuel consumption figures for an RX 300 according to Lexus.

City Driving: 16mpg
Highway Driving : 21mpg

A 2003 model year 4-Cylinder RAV4 will do the following according to Toyota

City Driving: 21mpg
Highway Driving : 27mpg

A 2005 model year 4-Cylinder Honda EOD will do the following according to Honda

City Driving: 21mpg
Highway Driving : 31mpg

So your decision will really be influenced by the car you are comparing the RX300 to. Please note that these are the figures touted by the manufacturers when these cars are brand new.

Real life figures will be different especially as we incorporate all the other factors - age, state of engine, etc. And also that Lagos state has a different category not captured by any of the manufacturers which is traffic / go-slow driving.

I hope this helps.

You can get figures from the site provided by nurey in an earlier post.

Wrong stats.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Belvinho(m): 9:39am On Sep 10, 2016
Ifebazz:

Kindly take a look at your owners manual under fuel economy and you'll see the explanation as regards usage of AC.

In mine, it advices me to roll up my glass at speeds above 60km/h for efficient fuel economy and turn on the AC if need be. While at speeds lower than 60km/h, roll down the glass and turn off the AC.

The reasons for this being;
1. Your engine powers your compressor which in turn puts more load on the engine. To compensate for this load, the engine works more and consumes more fuel doing this. NB at low speed
At high speeds, the extra load from the AC is almost insignificant as the engine is running at optimum performance.

2. Driving at high speed with the windows down will allow wind to move into the car thereby causing drag and reduce the aerodynamics of the car. At such speeds as 130km/h on the highway, the car is supposed to move through air as hot knife through butter.

3. V6 engines are built for speed and as such consume less fuel at high speeds and more at low speed, (note high speed is above 75km) therefore I'd agree that for a journey which an I4 consumes 50 litres, a V6 would consume less if all components were functioning properly.

I drive a 2001 Honda Accord V6

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Longmann(m): 9:44am On Sep 10, 2016
Fuel Consumption determine by various factors like capacity of the engine, the load it is carrying and the newness of the engine.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Itulah(m): 9:50am On Sep 10, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Oga this epistle ain't necessary, how did you calculate the amount of fuel that will be consumed on a JOURNEY without the MPG and distance travelled.
That's the empirical formulae we are waiting for.
below is your post I'm having ish with, or does a journey have a definite distance?

Most of you on this forum don't read to understand simple questions.
The enquirer (OP) painted a scenario which is also a hypothesis. It was an assumption; and as such he inputs the 50ltrs of gasoline.
Here is what you do not know regarding a V6 engine and an i4 engine (6cylinders and 4cylinders).

1)V6 has so much horse power that it climb up a hill on the highway with 5 able bodied passengers and their luggages on a constant RPM, the 4cylinders has a remarkable shortcomings in this regards.
2) When it also comes to using your HVAC system (AC) on the above mentioned engines, on a V6 the drag and extra workload the compressor imposes on the engine is almost zero cause there is so much horse power, but on an i4 engine the reverse is the case.

Uncle, I have both vehicle and I do not need any of you to lecture me on the consumption ratios. Your argument can tell that you are one of those that have this Nigerian phobia for a V6 engine, eliminate your fears OK?

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by OBAnkemi: 10:06am On Sep 10, 2016
My car is a 3.5L V6, 6 plugs, and 7-Speed automatic transmission. My fuel tank is 70L (.... I suppose!). I will upload 2 photos;
1. Kaduna to Sokoto (about 460km)
2. NNPC Super Mega (Gwarinpa, FCT) to Jos (about 246km)

NB; I do all my driving with the AC on. And highway speed of not more than 120km/hr, at least for both trips.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by kingreign(m): 10:06am On Sep 10, 2016
Itulah:

The enquirer (OP) painted a scenario which is also a hypothesis. It was an assumption; and as such he inputs the 50ltrs of gasoline.
Here is what you do not know regarding a V6 engine and an i4 engine (6cylinders and 4cylinders).

1)V6 has so much horse power that it climb up a hill on the highway with 5 able bodied passengers and their luggages on a constant RPM, the 4cylinders has a remarkable shortcomings in this regards.
2) When it also comes to using your HVAC system (AC) on the above mentioned engines, on a V6 the drag and extra workload the compressor imposes on the engine is almost zero cause there is so much horse power, but on an i4 engine the reverse is the case.

Uncle, I have both vehicle and I do not need any of you to lecture me on the consumption ratios. Your argument can tell that you are one of those that have this Nigerian phobia for a V6 engine, eliminate your fears OK?

If its your QX4 you're referring to, its a gas guzzling vehicle. We all know that, even the internet knows that.

Fact is, a V6 2.5l will save more fuel than an i4 2.6l
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by greggng: 10:06am On Sep 10, 2016
GREATP1:

My concern is to help you get your dream car whenever you ve decided to settle for one. My nebor import car from abroad and mustly good cars. Sometimes he import accidental cars with minor accidents and fix and sell. I believe that lexus is a good car cos recently another nebor sold his mussle car and added money to buy the 330 of the lexus. And it works great for him. I will be glad to help u if u need my help. My number remains 08062593234
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by kingreign(m): 10:08am On Sep 10, 2016
OP, at this juncture, I'd say beware. Do a thorough research so as not to fall into the hands of fraudsters. (I'm not tagging anyone as a fraudster tho).

Unfollows thread.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by rockiedink(m): 10:08am On Sep 10, 2016
shortgun:

Yea German.
Benz C320,V6,3.2lrt naturally aspirated.

That your engine sha....

Danfuster:

it has to be a German bro and I suspect benz, I know of a V8 16plugs and it's not even a 20th century model

That complicated 2 plugs per cylinder parole that Mercedes-Benz toyed with before they "came back to their senses" cheesy grin cool
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Itulah(m): 10:30am On Sep 10, 2016
OBAnkemi:

Rubbish!
Are you sure you own or drive a car at all
Or you are just being plain mischievous?

You are a big f.ool, are you hearing? If I should reply you accordingly, you will definitely hange yourself by morning.
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by nurusystem(m): 10:40am On Sep 10, 2016
four cylinder engine safe fuel than six cylinder,those toyota 4 cylinders but v6 engine they have high rate speed than 4 cylinder ,considerin the number of cylinder & speed of the engine ,that is the advantage of 6 cylinder,it speed more than 4 cylinder,bt four consume less in toyota,
Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 10, 2016
Itulah:

Was the OP talking about air conditioning? NO
Secondly I'm a car enthusiast and a big fan of German rides and big engines, but that doesn't mean I should distort the facts cos I like big engines.
Are u saying 5 series BMW of same year equipped with 6 cylinders (535i) will consume less fuel when compared with its 4cylinder(528i) sibling, I haven't even brought the 550i V8 to the mix which is thirstiest of the 3 sisters.

You talked about the power of the V6 over the i4 don't u think that power comes at a price? If I do more labour intensive work than u do its only natural for me to eat more of high calorie food than you do.

You'll hardly see a high performance car equipped with less than six cylinders, do you think they sip easy on fuel like ur everyday 4 cylinder sedan?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 10, 2016
Bro you sound,for sure but people don't understand it that way,I use tiny light v6 apart from low fuel consumtion,it has never give me any problem for the past four years now,I can never use any car less than v6 engin bro
honmusa:

It depends on the car model in question ,kindly note that some 4 plugs consume more than some 6 plugs .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Five Simple Things To Do When You Lose Your Brakes While Driving / The Evolution Of Mercedes Benz S-class Flagship (photos) / Facts About Car Tyres You Must Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.