Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,494 members, 7,830,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On (777 Views)

Need Proof of the Supernatural? Meet Joshua Selman Nimmak / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by Toybreezy: 2:12pm On Sep 07, 2016
I just read an article here that informed me about mark zukerberg of facebook being an atheist. Athiest as I believe means someone who doesn't believe the existence of God(or any supreme spiritual being).

So my question is why are some atheist still jeered towards making the world a better place, it is understandable that christains try hard to be good because of God commandment and muslim because of Allah and mohammed.

But who are atheist modelling their morality principles after? I'd like ample opinions of people on this...
Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by 007Nasky(m): 3:45pm On Sep 07, 2016
am coming...
Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by donnffd(m): 4:28pm On Sep 07, 2016
Toybreezy:
I just read an article here that informed me about mark zukerberg of facebook being an atheist. Athiest as I believe means someone who doesn't believe the existence of God(or any supreme spiritual being).

So my question is why are some atheist still jeered towards making the world a better place, it is understandable that christains try hard to be good because of God commandment and muslim because of Allah and mohammed.

But who are atheist modelling their morality principles after? I'd like ample opinions of people on this...

The idea that you must base your morality on someone is a pitiful one.

We are all humans, living on a perch of dust floating in a very vast universe, all we want to do is to live life to its fullest and in that process help others achieve the same goal.

You dont need the promise of eternal life full of bliss or the threat of eternal torment to be good to your fellow man, good to your fellow living things, and be good to the planet in which you live, and if you do infact need those things to be moral, than you are indeed a lot cause and a disgrace to the human species.

6 Likes

Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by Richirich713: 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2016
Morality in their eyes is like going to the ice cream shop. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla, nothing really tastes better, it's just opinions.

1 Like

Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by johnydon22(m): 6:54pm On Sep 07, 2016
Toybreezy:

Tell me - do you need Yahweh or Allah to tell you to love your children and care for them before you?

If "No" then you have arrived at exactly how morality independent of religious coercions are derived.

they are based on empathy, compassion, love, sympathy, concern for others, need for societal well being and continuation, family, community, pity and many other beautiful humane reasons to be good to others and not be an asss hole..

If you cannot evolve pass the shallow form of morality based on some greedy religious theme - Don't ask how others do better than you without it.

You only need to be human in a human society and live like it, it doesn't take anything not to be a total idiot toward others - that's all

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by raphieMontella: 7:30pm On Sep 07, 2016
whats moral in ripping babies out of pregnant women? Murders of millions? Slavery? Racism? Misognyism? Eternal damnation?

2 Likes

Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by Toybreezy: 10:27pm On Sep 08, 2016
raphieMontella:
whats moral in ripping babies out of pregnant women?
Murders of millions?
Slavery?
Racism?
Misognyism?
Eternal damnation?

How about lesser acts like sexual immorality or cheating. Cqpitalism etc.
Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by Toybreezy: 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2016
johnydon22:

Tell me - do you need Yahweh or Allah to tell you to love your children and care for them before you?

If "No" then you have arrived at exactly how morality independent of religious coercions are derived.

they are based on empathy, compassion, love, sympathy, concern for others, need for societal well being and continuation, family, community, pity and many other beautiful humane reasons to be good to others and not be an asss hole..

If you cannot evolve pass the shallow form of morality based on some greedy religious theme - Don't ask how others do better than you without it.

You only need to be human in a human society and live like it, it doesn't take anything not to be a total idiot toward others - that's all

What justifies being human, no human value is learnt in isolation. We all pick from somewhere
Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by johnydon22(m): 11:07pm On Sep 08, 2016
Toybreezy:

What justifies being human, no human value is learnt in isolation. We all pick from somewhere

exactly - if you are the only person in a room, you can fart as much as you want but when there are others with you, that is the only time you feel it is inappropriate to fart.

the society birthed ethics and values

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 09, 2016
Toybreezy:

You question is nonsensical, why won't atheist strive to make the earth a better place when we don't believe in an afterlife? Its theist rather that are so concerned with the heavenly race and Armageddon that they no longer care about the earth.
Human morality is as old as civilization itself, and morality progresses with time, a couple hundred years ago slavery was the rule of the land even the bible and Qur'an supported it, but today all of society agrees it is evil, why don't followers of the bible still keep slaves as God said nothing against it.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by hahn(m): 10:36am On Sep 09, 2016
I do not know why theists keep asking this question.

Atheists should be the ones asking theists who seem to model themselves after a barbaric, unforgiving, psychopathic, maniacal and savage god.

undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by ValentineMary(m): 11:04am On Sep 09, 2016
Toybreezy:

This way of thinking comes from the indoctrinated belief that morality comes from God and religion. But does it PastorAIO opened a lovely thread some time ago explaining in details how we can be moral without the belief in God.
Let me share my experience. While I was young and we used to breed chicken, a hen died leaving her young chicks stranded. Another hen took up this dead hen's chick and took care of them?? This might has been due to animals instincts but u can't deny that the same kind of practice is seen in humans. So where do such instincts come from? God or the human brain
Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by PastorAIO: 11:18am On Sep 09, 2016
ValentineMary:

This way of thinking comes from the indoctrinated belief that morality comes from God and religion. But does it PastorAIO opened a lovely thread some time ago explaining in details how we can be moral without the belief in God.
Let me share my experience. While I was young and we used to breed chicken, a hen died leaving her young chicks stranded. Another hen took up this dead hen's chick and took care of them?? This might has been due to animals instincts but u can't deny that the same kind of practice is seen in humans. So where do such instincts come from? God or the human brain

Thank you.

The thread is here: https://www.nairaland.com/3250560/atheism-theism-morality
Re: What Do Athiests Judge Their Morality On by Toybreezy: 12:03am On Sep 14, 2016
Well analyzed, now I understand but morality is diverse.

(1) (Reply)

Again, 22 Christian Groups Kick, Say Sultan Can’t Declare Public Holiday / ‘I Was Not Trapped In Ogun Shrine, God Told Me To Stay Quiet' / Does God Really See The Future???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.