Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

My Movie Writer/Director Journey - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / My Movie Writer/Director Journey (2964 Views)

Are You A Producer? Movie Writer? Director? Come In / Am A Movie Writer / A Director Stole My Movie Script (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 8:30pm On Dec 17, 2006
Hello,

You've read some of my movie production related threads on this forum - posting stories, calling for stories, wanting to buy a camcorder, et cetera. I'm posting this topic because I've decided to be a writer/director like Mike Bamiloye.

I want to write my own stories designed to pass accross a message to the public and direct the production of movies based on those screenplays myself. Then I'll try my best to market those movies to the widest audience.

During this period, this thread is going to be my official journal. If you dream to be an actor, musician, crew member, screenplay editor, movie editor, or distributor, please keep in touch. I may soon be in need of your services.

Thanks and best regards,
Seun Osewa
PS: special thanks to my senior advisers, IAH and comb & razor.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Damsal(f): 6:50pm On Dec 19, 2006
cool, cheesy. Seems really interesting i'd like to see what u got. Just remember to keep us posted it's been two days and you haven't given us anything yet. And to say Orikinla has already started searching for funds for your movie, guess you didn't tell him you were working on a minimal budget. (if he knew he'd probably have something to say about that.)
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Orikinla(m): 7:45pm On Dec 19, 2006
Seun,
As you can see, I have started a thread to support your ambition and once you post a Paypal button, I will just deposit my own contribution without stress.

God will see you through.

Check out the Film Maker magazine online for the best cues.

God bless.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 2:50pm On Dec 20, 2006
I've just completed 'Funky Patient': Screenplay For A Short Film.

I started out writing a completely different story, but this screenplay took on on a life of its own - it became completely different from what I initially intended to write. I decided to release it as a short story instead. Enjoy!
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by hoodboi(m): 4:05pm On Dec 24, 2006
well, i'm a all round entertainer, i write stories, i act, i can rap and write my songs and i think i am kind of funny too(comedian), i can direct, i am presently learning some things about producing.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Orikinla(m): 5:00pm On Dec 25, 2006
Seun,
Check out this handy camera.

Panasonic Pro AG-DVX100B 3-CCD MiniDV Proline Camcorder w/10x Optical Zoom
$2,999.88
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 5:18pm On Dec 25, 2006
This short story got me thinking about the idea of (1) a series of short story collection, or (2) a series of ensemble movies based on loosely related short stories.

The First Approach: A single VCD/DVD with 4-6 short stories like "Doctor Sisi", "Political Rascal", or "The Honest Policeman" is released this month under the title "Abuja Story Collection". Let's say "Doctor Sisi" and "Political Rascal" generate a lot of interest while the others are found boring by viewers. Next Month, a new VCD/DVD titled "Abuja Story Collection 2" is released with "Doctor Sisi 2 (sequel to story one)", "Political Rascal 2", and new stories. Each month, stories that people are not interested in are dropped and new ones are added to replace them.

Problem with this approach: Users might find the experience of watching 8 short stories less satisfying than the experience of watching one good story.

(Second approach: Almost exactly like the first, but the stories are woven together like Love Actually and Magnolia. I don't like it, but it's something that can be done. Each story will stand alone like an episodic TV drama.)

With the first approach, one can use the model used by mangas in Japan. First you release a story collection, then later you compile several chapters of the individual stories and sell them as separatebooks. First, "Abuja Story Collection 1, 2, , " followed by "Political Rascal 1-10" The story collection is great because you'll enjoy at least one story in it. Later, you buy a compilation of chapters of your favorite story for your library.

UPDATE: My advisors made me realise that my search for a short story business model is a result of my reluctance to discipline myself to write a complete story for a movie. I'm now targeting 70-90 minute movies.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 5:21pm On Dec 25, 2006
Orikinla: Seun,
Check out this handy camera.

Panasonic Pro AG-DVX100B 3-CCD MiniDV Proline Camcorder w/10x Optical Zoom
$2,999.88
Thanks for the tip. I ordered the NV-GS500. The GS500 is a much cheaper 3ccd consumer camera. Unlike the DVX100 camcorders, the GS500 lacks a true progressive mode. Fortunately for me, interlaced videos are TV friendly.

Also: Make sure you check out my new topic, "Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies?" Cheers!
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Orikinla(m): 3:28pm On Dec 28, 2006
For any independent film to succeed, a hundred miracles need to happen, and we feel grateful that in our case they all did.

- Rajnesh Domalpalli

Read about the journey of Rajnesh Domalpalli in the making of hsi own film.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2006

@Orikinla: That Vanaja film is really beautiful. I love it already. The synopsis is extremely well-written too.

---
Yes, I got my equipment this week!

Below a picture of the tiny camera upon which rests my fate.

The blur in the background is me!

Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Raymand(m): 7:43pm On Dec 30, 2006
Wicked!! wish you the very best man! smiley
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 3:19pm On Jan 02, 2007
Glad you like it. I'm currently looking for a room and an attractive actress for a simple TV show idea I'm planning.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Orikinla(m): 3:42pm On Jan 02, 2007
Seun,
Wow!
What a great way to start the New Year 2007!
I am very very happy for you.

I can provide the rooms you may need. And more than enough beautiful actresses in Lagos.
Both white and black young models who can act and understand French and English.
I have them in Lagos.

Our production studios in Lagos will be available for your TV Show stage.

Just let me know whenever you need them.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 3:54pm On Jan 02, 2007
Thanks. I'd like to set up a "bedroom" that's really colorful and artistic, like those Indian film pictures above.

See Wanted: Flat For Rent In Sango Ota. Thanks so much, guys.

Having second thoughts about my TV show, because it turns out to be more expensive than I thought.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by woleprof(m): 12:22pm On Jan 04, 2007
grin grin grin

This is a wonderful idea Seun. I would love to be part of it if u dont mind.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by yicob(m): 7:11pm On Jan 08, 2007
SEUN,

HOPE YOU DIDNT FORGET ME. YOU KNOW I TOLD YOU OF SOME OF MY STUFFS IN MOVIE PRODUCTION. 2 HEADS IS BETTER THAN 1
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 9:38am On Jan 18, 2007
I've been moving in circles with this my dream, not making any progress, because of 3 conflicting goals:
1) To make a great movie that even Hollywood fans who don't like Nigerian movies will be able to enjoy.
2) To spend little money on making the movie so that investors won't be needed at any point.
3) And I want to make money directly from the people watching my movies rather than advertisers.

These 3 goals are in conflict, so I keep going around in circles trying to decide what to do with myself. Sad! sad

Meanwhile, I Need An Adjustable Light Stand!
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by duchez(m): 5:50pm On Jan 25, 2007
hi seun. whats up? i want to let you know that i am a composer, singer and a scriptwriter. whenever you need ma help, just holla at me on this no. 08056708472. i already have some mind blowing true life stories to dish out to an interested person. i look forward to having a deal with you soon.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by dustiniyke: 4:38pm On Jan 27, 2007
i love your idea, i like to be with your crew, am unknown actor/scriptwriter, i have ten already written script to be produce.
they are intresting stories that are different from others. i have i hot political story, Hausa story on discovery which have never been produce by any producer in Nigeria. a nice comedy that can move people. i just need someone like u to show the world that they writers and writers. i hope and wish u well.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Orikinla(m): 12:06am On Jan 28, 2007
Seun,
I made you an offer and the offer is still there in Lagos.
Everything you need to make a successful movie is available in our production studios.
And I have distributors to help you distribute your movie.
This offer is not FFA. It is to support you.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by kellorah: 1:36am On Jan 28, 2007
but u knw, u shdnt really be sharing ur stories like that cos some ppl might steal it lipsrsealed
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 2:15pm On Feb 01, 2007
@kellorah: The script is the least expensive aspect of filmmaking. I can give it to them for free if they ask nicely.

You know, I've been thinking about the fact that music videos and tv commercials are movies too!
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Orikinla(m): 10:55pm On Feb 01, 2007
Seun,
Just produce one movie first.
Practice makes perfect.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 11:06pm On Feb 01, 2007
I agree with you that practice makes perfect, but I don't know if actors will be willing to practice with me.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by kellorah: 11:13pm On Feb 01, 2007
commercials and music videos are not movies undecided
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 5:17pm On Feb 02, 2007
I've discovered how to teach positive lessons with just about any story. I think the trick is to determine which qualities you want to support (e.g. compassion, honesty, rationality) and which qualities you want to discourage (e.g. intolerance, superstition, violence)

The hero in whatever story one are writing must have the positive qualities and the villian must have the negative qualities. The positive qualities that the hero has must contribute to her eventual triumph while the negative qualities of the villian must contribute to her eventual demise. That way, any interesting story can be used to promote good things.

For instance, if one is writing an action thriller, one must make sure that the bad guy exhibits qualities that one wants to discourage and the good guys exhibit good qualities. For instance, if I'm against killing, then the hero must not win through killing someone. If I'm against intolerance, the hero must be liberal.

Et cetera. I hope this means one can now tackle the most interesting story idea available and also make it a story that teaches good emotional lessons without preaching. So one can maximise profitability through interesting stories without teaching bad lessons. I've always been concerned about the messages that movies teach us inadvertently.

1 Like

Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by HORAK(m): 12:48pm On Feb 03, 2007
Nice,seun. you know i figure this site us healthy for young wannabe filmakers who
are gonna be the next new wave of filmakers who are gonna revolutionise the nigerian film industry(i don't refer to it as nollywood).
Hey,i have a Sony Hdr-FX1 hanging around.(you are talking to the next hot thing).Thats a HDV Camcorder.
So if u need quality video hook me up at 08060205783.Horak speaking. I would like to share the experience with you one way on one way. PEACE
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 1:31pm On Feb 03, 2007
Wow, that's really tempting because I like the idea of being able to do cinema-like projection of one's movie.
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by Seun(m): 11:32am On Mar 04, 2007
My main problem seems to be that I can't focus on a paricular story idea long enough to write a complete script. Even after examining so many niches such as instructional videos, this problem remains unsolved. Ouch!
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by yicob(m): 3:27pm On Mar 04, 2007
@ seun, well i think the best thing is for you to take your time, draw out a plan that you follow and about d script, its not easy writing a long stretch movie script because many thots will always come to your mind most especially when it comes to the concluding part. I think the best thing is for you to find a close pal who knows more about movie prod. Brainstorm together and reach conclusions. The Lord is your strength!
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by themaster2: 12:57am On Mar 11, 2007
Big ups, seun!

U may want to see my short movies?!!!
Get 'em right here:

http://www.budgetfilmmaker.com/video/the_trip_movie.wmv
http://www.budgetfilmmaker.com/video/SIMPLE_PLAN.wmv

sure y'all should be impressed. and do let me have your assessments.

Gbenga Salu
Re: My Movie Writer/Director Journey by t200m: 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2007
Seun,its such a relief getting to c this post,am an aspring director myself,but just tot i finish skl first.jt 2 please my folks,bn tellimng them i wanna enter new york film academy,but dey are just, anyway i tink u and i shld hook up,have this great story that is very different from wat u normally c in nigerian films.am just gonna give u a tip.its abt a woman who had an accident,lost her memory,her little gal is missing,her  husband is all lovin but there`s somtin abt him she aint sure off.its a film i know people all over the world will love,but i have not been able to meet a good producer,the one i met recently did not impress me.i am tryn to c if i can contact jeta amata,but it aint easy,always knew that guy had it in him,wen i saw a flick he co produced with a reporter from bbc uk.but i know that given the resources i can definitely do better that him,was tryn to work on an animated movie last month,but the guy was all mouth.anyway i love to hook up with u.so hola me.my numbers are 08029428217,08058330042 u can call me with glo free callat nite,then we can really talk more.takre.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Flower Girl Premieres In The Uk [photos] / List Of Incredible Tv Shows You Must Watch / Which Movie Touched You To Point Of Tears?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.