Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? (28025 Views)

Why Don't Nigerians Care About Good Looking Bathrooms? / Newest And Ongoing Building And Estate Developments From Tigerkenn Homes / Why Don't We Have A Lot Of Women In Construction World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Ekakamba: 6:40am On Sep 09, 2016
Basement: already elucidated by the OP.
Wingback:

OP it's a great storage place, you can rent it out to college kids,

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by khalhokage(m): 6:43am On Sep 09, 2016
Basements are a good idea in Nigeria for those that can afford it, if you don't have enough land to build a big house with plenty of rooms above ground without making it a storey building then a basement would be helpful, you could even give it direct access outside by digging a steps into the ground leading to a door, or make it a small basement you'll use as storage space keeping your main living area clutter free.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:44am On Sep 09, 2016
Ekakamba:
Basement: already elucidated by the OP.

I. Was. Aware. Of. That.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by cs55: 6:45am On Sep 09, 2016
mstheeeeeeeewww

Amber Rose Reveals She Has Lost Track Of How Many People She's Slept With

details : http://www.gidiceleb.com/2016/08/amber-rose-reveals-she-has-lost-track.html
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Dexema(m): 6:46am On Sep 09, 2016
In this heat? I'll prefer an underground car park or storehouse, but if I have enough space above ground what do I need those for?
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by gist4kidsblog: 6:50am On Sep 09, 2016
Ok

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by GossipHeart(m): 6:51am On Sep 09, 2016
Rekyz:
LIEnus!

Have you seen houses in America ??
They're all built with woods, you can't see cements or concrete

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by driand(m): 6:56am On Sep 09, 2016
abouzaid:
the idea of the basement came about in cold climates where the foundation would need to be deep enough to go below the freezing line, with time, people decided to make it big enough to serve as a livable place. in Nigeria, we don't have snow and the cost implication would be enormous besides basements are often a source of trouble due to development of algae, over flooding etc.there's nothing special about living underground.
you nailed it...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by VictorRomanov: 6:58am On Sep 09, 2016
tkovie2002:

So as beautiful and Useful as they can be, I would like to know why most Nigerian homes do not have basements like the ones abroad.

* Is it very expensive?

* Doesn't our terrain or building codes/patterns support it?

* Is it that our architects do not suggest it or clients just don't just want it.

* What are the pros and cons with respect to Geographical region?

Please I would like everyone to air their views so we can learn from each other.

Think of what will happen when u have a basement in a place like port harcourt of lagos and it rains for maybe 1 hr.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by InvertedHammer: 6:58am On Sep 09, 2016
tkovie2002:
According to wikipedia A basement or cellar is one or more floors of a building that are either completely or partially below the ground floor. Basements are generally used as a utility space for a building where such items as the boiler, water heater, breaker panel or fuse box, car park, and air-conditioning system are located; so also are amenities such as the electrical distribution system, and cable television distribution point. However, in cities with high property prices such as London, basements are often fitted out to a high standard and used as living space.

So as beautiful and Useful as they can be, I would like to know why most Nigerian homes do not have basements like the ones abroad.

* Is it very expensive?

* Is it that our architects do not suggest it or clients just don't just want it.

Please I would like everyone to air their views so we can learn from each other.
/
Haven't you heard of flooding?

The ones living above ground are not comfortable. Yet you want people to bury themselves more than 6ft below ground level in Nigeria's hot weather and no steady electricity. Perhaps you should ask why there are no igloos in Nigeria. Better, why do people live in one-storey buildings instead of skyscrapers in the village?

Some other fellow is already using the opportunity to inform others that he lives in Maryland, US with a realtor's listing of a house he intends to buy in two years. SMH.

\

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:06am On Sep 09, 2016
Wingback:
I am planning on buying a 750,000$ house next 3 years, the first thing I checked was a basement.

OP it's a great storage place, you can rent it out to college kids, your teenage kids can throw parties there without breaking anything valuable...and above all

You can drink away your sorrow and smoke off your regrets... making 300,000$ every year, the basement is the perfect place to indulge in your "leisure" and hide from your nagging wife and troublesome kids.

And contrary to belief, basements can be quite spacious and airy

You're buying a house for $750k, but will make $300k/yr renting out your basement?

On what planet?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Polyglot7pointO: 7:10am On Sep 09, 2016
You can drink away your sorrow and smoke off your regrets... making 300,000$ every year, the basement is the perfect place to indulge in your "leisure" and hide from your nagging wife and troublesome kids.

And contrary to belief, basements can be quite spacious and airy...YOU WON MY VOTE WITH THIS....I OWE YOU ONE HOMMIE!
Wingback:
I am planning on buying a 750,000$ house next 3 years, the first thing I checked was a basement.

OP it's a great storage place, you can rent it out to college kids, your teenage kids can throw parties there without breaking anything valuable...and above all

And contrary to belief, basements can be quite spacious and airy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Kash007(m): 7:17am On Sep 09, 2016
Basement is also hugely popular in countries prone to tornadoes. Since its useful as a hideaway spot.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by gropius(m): 7:23am On Sep 09, 2016
Just like some people have rightly commented, the topography of a site, the climatic conditions as well as a number of factors are determinants of the design of buildings. Also the client's requirements also matters. If a client demands a basement then youwoukd have to provide a basement. Sites without the luxury of extensive space could resortto having basements to accommodate facilities. So in all it is dependent on a number of factors.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Reference(m): 7:25am On Sep 09, 2016
Prime reason, economics. You can imagine how a potential structural hazard a basement will be when the free standing structure above is unsound due to cost, poverty, etc.

Secondary reasons: climate. The bulk of Nigeria is tropical and thus basememts will trap heat and moisture making natural living impossible. Another reason leading from this, services such as power to declimatise the space is not available and constantly unaffordable. And drainage, fire rescue, etc all government inputs are dodgy so why take THE RISK buildng one when you cannot afford to make it work properly. Peson no dey take im hand dig im grave. Na anoda peson dey do am.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by chimauga(m): 7:28am On Sep 09, 2016
See how u are talking of basement in naija wt, zero nepa, u must be ma.d
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by HomeOfMe(f): 7:39am On Sep 09, 2016
A friend of our family who lived in the US for about 26yrs relocated back to Nigeria. He built a house at Agbara estate. When armed robbers visited them nobody knew the building had a basement with the way he built it. They hid in the basement and placed a call to friends in the neighbourhood who helped them alert the police.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by eyinjuege: 7:41am On Sep 09, 2016
I've always assumed it was just to maximize space,and for storage.

Let me learn from the experts
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Badgers14: 7:56am On Sep 09, 2016
tkovie2002:
According to wikipedia A basement or cellar is one or more floors of a building that are either completely or partially below the ground floor. Basements are generally used as a utility space for a building where such items as the boiler, water heater, breaker panel or fuse box, car park, and air-conditioning system are located; so also are amenities such as the electrical distribution system, and cable television distribution point. However, in cities with high property prices such as London, basements are often fitted out to a high standard and used as living space.

* Is it very expensive?

It is not a "Nigerian" or "non Nigerian" thing.

Not every state in the U.S allow basements in homes like Texas, Oklahoma infact most states in southern U.S while some states makes it mandatory because of the cold weather, States like North Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin et.c

Also recall, the U.S for example is not a place you can buy lands and build whatever you want, in the U.S building plans must be approved before homebuilders could start work

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by tkovie2002(m): 7:59am On Sep 09, 2016
HomeOfMe:
A friend of our family who lived in the US for about 26yrs relocated back to Nigeria. He built a house at Agbara estate. When armed robbers visited them nobody knew the building had a basement with the way he built it. They hid in the basement and placed a call to friends in the neighbourhood who helped them alert the police.

I feel this is a good reason to have one, especially in this our Nigeria.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by HomeOfMe(f): 8:04am On Sep 09, 2016
tkovie2002:

I feel this is a good reason to have one, especially in this our Nigeria.
I think so too.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by southernbelle(f): 8:05am On Sep 09, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
Haven't you heard of flooding?

The ones living above ground are not comfortable. Yet you want people to bury themselves more than 6ft below ground level in Nigeria's hot weather and no steady electricity. Perhaps you should ask why there are no igloos in Nigeria. Better, why do people live in one-storey buildings instead of skyscrapers in the village?

Some other fellow is already using the opportunity to inform others that he lives in Maryland, US with a realtor's listing of a house he intends to buy in two years. SMH.

\
And isn't there a danger of the whole place collapsing too, u know as a result of substandard building materials used here in Nigeria?
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Eric14(m): 8:11am On Sep 09, 2016
Its simply because our house floors are always made of concrete unlike in advanced countries where theirs is made of wood
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by popcykaylah(m): 8:26am On Sep 09, 2016
Cos rats will take over the basement before you blink an eye. .
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by slimmromeo: 8:26am On Sep 09, 2016
we dont have basements cos of the following reasons

we are not suicidal
we dont do 50 shades of grey SHIT!
we are not serial killers
We believe that beneath the ground is for dead people

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by datjohn(m): 8:28am On Sep 09, 2016
I've seen a house in Ibadan wit a basement dat durin rainy seasons it becomes a useless swimming pool.

O.P. One factor of basement consideration in building a house in Nigeria besides cost n others, is d flood prone tendencies of d area.
E.g. U cant jst build a house with basement in Ebute Meta.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by daveP(m): 8:42am On Sep 09, 2016
it's just like building a swimming pool to be freely filled by Nigerian typical flood free of charge. and that pool once filled will affect things.

just saying.

But heat isn't a factor now. I try, but those guys must be just bricklayer who just Sabi lay konkere.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Kaycee7(m): 8:54am On Sep 09, 2016
I'm not really fascinated with the basement. Now the attic, that's something I'm definitely adding to my house.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by edudguy(m): 8:58am On Sep 09, 2016
But we have understanf step na wink
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by sorepco(m): 9:00am On Sep 09, 2016
It came to promibence in europe especially after the 1st n 2nd world wars. Basements were built so that people could shelter during airstrikes from the nazists. If u look at china or india as well its not that popular!!

Muafrika2:
Probably because of the danger of flooding. It's also not a traditionally recognised aspect of building houses. It probably developed in the west because of harsh weather/snow

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by onedayatime(m): 9:01am On Sep 09, 2016
forget that one op, I beg where you see those pictures? I bet you download them. Hope you too no be that thing??
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by waldigit: 9:12am On Sep 09, 2016
tkovie2002:

* Is it very expensive?

Building code and planning regulation is now also suggesting it, but only in urbanized area like big cities. The major reason for this is for parking spaces. In areas like CBD central business districts in Lagos you expected to provide basement if you want to build to a certain density to provide for parking spaces.
But for residential dev. the cost may not make it a feasible technology. The cost of reinforcement for retaining wall and slab can drive you silly when compared to what you stand to gain.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soprom Hotel, Onitsha Gutted By Fire / See What Traders Are Doing With Former Akpaka Forest Reserve Onitsha / How We Built The Port Harcourt "4 Bedroom Duplex"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.