Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc (3858 Views)

Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? / 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA / Cost Of Msc In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 1:35am On Sep 09, 2016
My reasons are:

1. Embarking on a Masters degree might become a white elephant project when you don't have the required industry experience.

2. With the current recession every sector is seeking all means to cut cost

3. Most juicy positions that requires an Msc or Bsc are keenly contested and the big guns usually have their slots (who are also sound) to fill the available positions

4. An ND may repackage you. For instance you may even re-sit for the ssce and reduce your age...and start over more intelligently

5. It may slow your progress but doesn't stop it. Let me elaborate; let say you have Bsc Mechng and you are 25, you can go for an OND in electng it does not make your Bsc invalid you can still present it when there are int/ext recruitments

6. It is the fastest and easiest way to fight your way into the oil and gas. For those who love oil and gas you get more of nd recruitment to Bsc

7. From manufacturing to finance and even the civil service ond holders occupy the largest percentage.

NB if you intend to travel abroad or you have a craving for lecturing etc you may find this article non inspiring
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Fidelismaria: 3:05am On Sep 09, 2016
In Dark Matter Android Voice:okaaaaaeeeeyyy
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 3:30am On Sep 09, 2016
Fidelismaria:
In Dark Matter Android Voice:okaaaaaeeeeyyy
I would have loved it if you had criticised the topic by airing your opinions. I know there might be some disadvantages...despite the reasons listed.
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by PresVA: 9:28am On Sep 09, 2016
Hmmmmm undecided.. From Bsc to ND? ... Forward ever, backward never biko!

Recession won't continue forever. ..

Goodmorning!

2 Likes

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by aninexzy(m): 10:54am On Sep 09, 2016
PresVA:

Goodmorning!
. Hahahaha, wonders shall never cease
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by SlimHan(f): 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2016
Marxx the man. I dont really buy the idea of going back for ND what about salary issue.
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by jashar(f): 2:04pm On Sep 09, 2016
Hian!!!!!! undecided

Which kin thinking be this?

I don't buy it at alll..............

Go for the certification that gets you to fulfilling your career objectives jare.

1 Like

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 8:18am On Oct 01, 2016
SlimHan:
Marxx the man. I dont really buy the idea of going back for ND what about salary issue.
in large corporations ND holders earn quite much. Did you know that the total monthly package for an engineer with ND working in NNPC is 1.3m monthly?...well is just a thought because most companies are restructuring.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 8:23am On Oct 01, 2016
jashar:
Hian!!!!!! undecided

Which kin thinking be this?

I don't buy it at alll..............

Go for the certification that gets you to fulfilling your career objectives jare.

The more certification you acquire and the higher degree you acquire; without sound experience the person might just be termed "unnecessary luxury".

1 Like

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by OgidiOlu3(m): 5:41pm On Oct 01, 2016
Marxxx:
in large corporations ND holders earn quite much. Did you know that the total monthly package for an engineer with ND working in NNPC is 1.3m monthly?...well is just a thought because most companies are restructuring.
1.3m monthly? ND engineer at NNPC? Oga, be gentle with the lies na. Haba! How much do BSc engineers get paid then?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Doyin400l(m): 9:20pm On Oct 01, 2016
Marxxx:
Liar Muhammed spotted.. Did u think we so daft? Abeg find another lies... In life, it forward ever, backward never.

3 Likes

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 10:54pm On Oct 01, 2016
Doyin400l:

Liar Muhammed spotted.. Did u think we so daft? Abeg find another lies... In life, it forward ever, backward never.
Do you know the meaning of total take home? It is not your basic monthly salary. If you add up all your allowances (housing, bonus, child Education, transportation, feeding etc) + your basic and you divide by twelve months that gives you your total monthly take home it is different from your basic salary. I have worked with a firm that serves as advisory to NNPC in the past. If you call me a liar again I won't be happy. I will excuse your ignorance.
OgidiOlu3:

1.3m monthly? ND engineer at NNPC? Oga, be gentle with the lies na. Haba! How much do BSc engineers get paid then?
OgidiOlu3:

2 Likes

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 11:01pm On Oct 01, 2016
OgidiOlu3:

There is a difference between your basic monthly salary and your total monthly take home. I have just explained that. The B.sc engineers earn more but God help you if you ever hear about the fixing. It is not transparent. The good thing is the ND recruitment is a bit fair. The top guns don't monitor it that much. You can always climb your way up the ladder. If you are very smart.

1 Like

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 11:05pm On Oct 01, 2016
Doyin400l:

I would have really loved to enlighten you but you don't possess the positive curious mindset capable of learning. Do not comment in any of my articles again.

1 Like

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 11:10pm On Oct 01, 2016
SlimHan:
You are not going to be a Diploma graduate all your life...you will climb up the ladder. It is easier for you to join Shell, NNPC, DPR etc with your ND. You grow from there. The pay is quite huge too...A big FMCG recruited Msc graduates for management trainees guess what...the basic salary was 70k and they were only given housing allowance of 1mpa. What is the big deal then? You see we glorify certificates. I got my MBA 5years after I had started working. During my 3rd year on the Job, I was training MBA holders...what is the point..?

1 Like

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 11:35pm On Oct 01, 2016
PresVA:

Goodmorning!
looool...forward ever yeah...but look at it critically, every structure is like a triangle. We can't have more senior staff than junior staff. There will always be more room at the Base. I am not implying you stay or remain at the Base. The most important thing is to get into a structure. At the Base the competition is less stiff, you gather experience and you leverage on it to get to the top. Let me hint you this; there was this guy who wanted to be an investment banker. He studied finance (unilag) made 2.1 went to banking school after training he was sent to marketing. He got frustrated after a year he left banking. He was my sister's friend. I advised him back then to go get a diploma in accounting. He did that with distinction, got internship in an investment firm after a year, He got a job as an investment banker with Stanbic. The road to success may not be that straight. The smart white guy that designed the gear systems in our vehicles created 1, 2, 3, 4....and he thought it wise to create reverse...I don't know all, is just a thought. My opinion is not error free.

1 Like

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by jashar(f): 7:45am On Oct 02, 2016
Marxxx:
The more certification you acquire and the higher degree you acquire; without sound experience the person might just be termed "unnecessary luxury".

[size=16pt]Get certified as much as you want and get experience while at it.

But shey you know that there are some jobs you can't get without a particular degree?

A friend recently applied for a job with an international organisation sometime last month.

She got a feedback from them last week saying although she had the necessary experience she didn't have a masters degree yet(she's still in school) , so, she couldn't proceed to the next stage. True story. [/size]
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by itzlabode(m): 7:03pm On Oct 02, 2016
Marxxx:
looool...forward ever yeah...but look at it critically, every structure is like a triangle. We can't have more senior staff than junior staff. There will always be more room at the Base. I am not implying you stay or remain at the Base. The most important thing is to get into a structure. At the Base the competition is less stiff, you gather experience and you leverage on it to get to the top. Let me hint you this; there was this guy who wanted to be an investment banker. He studied finance (unilag) made 2.1 went to banking school after training he was sent to marketing. He got frustrated after a year he left banking. He was my sister's friend. I advised him back then to go get a diploma in accounting. He did that with distinction, got internship in an investment firm after a year, He got a job as an investment banker with Stanbic. The road to success may not be that straight. The smart white guy that designed the gear systems in our vehicles created 1, 2, 3, 4....and he thought it wise to create reverse...I don't know all, is just a thought. My opinion is not error free.

say no more...ACCESS BANK!
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by itzlabode(m): 7:59am On Oct 03, 2016
one quick question Marxxx , how does MNC recruit for ND holders, I don't seems to see any layed down structure for that unlike the BSC counterpart.
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by may01(f): 8:07am On Oct 23, 2016
Marxxx:

Hi. You've got mail.
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by suzzy4God(f): 7:16am On Oct 28, 2016
Marxxx,pls I'll appreciate it if you can give me link to companies recruiting with ND as I currently have ND in civil engineering and BSc in education but I angrily left private sch where I worked for 5years in july,I was tired of the peanut salary.thanks in adv
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 8:26am On Nov 06, 2016
jashar:

[size=16pt]Get certified as much as you want and get experience while at it.

But shey you know that there are some jobs you can't get without a particular degree?

A friend recently applied for a job with an international organisation sometime last month.

She got a feedback from them last week saying although she had the necessary experience she didn't have a masters degree yet(she's still in school) , so, she couldn't proceed to the next stage. True story. [/size]
You are not incorrect, my dear, certain jobs require certain degrees to complement. I also believe your friend was apprised of all relevant requirements before applying. This article is not focused on joining a structure from the top but from the Base with a view of climbing upwards
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 8:31am On Nov 06, 2016
may01:

Hi. You've got mail.
so sorry dear... I think here is fine just post ur intent I will definitely reply sooner or later...I am quite eager to read ur post
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 8:44am On Nov 06, 2016
suzzy4God:
Marxxx,pls I'll appreciate it if you can give me link to companies recruiting with ND as I currently have ND in civil engineering and BSc in education but I angrily left private sch where I worked for 5years in july,I was tired of the peanut salary.thanks in adv
you don't sound cool. I can't claim to empathize how you feel. Are you going to throw away 5years experience? Frankly you have not expressed your intent. Or you just want any job that will bring in more money? Engineering for females is a bit complex...you can further your education degree or apply to good schools perhaps get Montessori certification...looking at things critically I presume you should know the subject teacher that most schools crave for. Why not get an M.ed in that subject? Education is in high demand with our population increasing at a geometric rate there will be more room for you. FG had just accredited 3 universities so a lecturing job might also be at your door step...don't sound frustrated again. There are over 1billion people wishing to be where you are.

1 Like

Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 8:53am On Nov 06, 2016
itzlabode:
one quick question Marxxx , how does MNC recruit for ND holders, I don't seems to see any layed down structure for that unlike the BSC counterpart.
if you are less busy you can submit at the company's gate...the best link is to get someone walking there...preferably a shift manager, head of operations etc...but oftentimes they use agencies.
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by suzzy4God(f): 1:31pm On Nov 06, 2016
Marxxx:
you don't sound cool. I can't claim to empathize how you feel. Are you going to throw away 5years experience? Frankly you have not expressed your intent. Or you just want any job that will bring in more money? Engineering for females is a bit complex...you can further your education degree or apply to good schools perhaps get Montessori certification...looking at things critically I presume you should know the subject teacher that most schools crave for. Why not get an M.ed in that subject? Education is in high demand with our population increasing at a geometric rate there will be more room for you. FG had just accredited 3 universities so a lecturing job might also be at your door step...don't sound frustrated again. There are over 1billion people wishing to be where you are.
OK,thanks.
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by jashar(f): 3:41pm On Nov 06, 2016
Marxxx:
You are not incorrect, my dear, certain jobs require certain degrees to complement. I also believe your friend was apprised of all relevant requirements before applying. This article is not focused on joining a structure from the top but from the Base with a view of climbing upwards

tongue
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 3:56pm On Nov 06, 2016
jashar:

tongue
my friend how are you? I trust you are making exploits...
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by jashar(f): 4:08pm On Nov 06, 2016
Marxxx:
my friend how are you? I trust you are making exploits...

[size=16pt]My friend, do you want the honest answer or the normal answer? smiley

How body? How ya holding up?

How's ya treatment? How's ya sis, niece and family? smiley
[/size]
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by suzzy4God(f): 10:02pm On Nov 25, 2016
Re: Maybe You Should Go For ND Instead Of Msc by Marxxx: 10:16am On Jan 08, 2017
jashar:

[size=16pt]My friend, do you want the honest answer or the normal answer? smiley

How body? How ya holding up?

How's ya treatment? How's ya sis, niece and family? smiley
[/size]
hey I want the honest answer...long time...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help With Eleme Petrochemical (indorama) Contact Number / How Do I Increase My Effectiveness At Work? / Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.