Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,963 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail (44732 Views)

Man Wrongly Arrested For Murder Discharged After Spending 6 Years In Jail. PICS / 9 Things That Will Land You In Trouble In Nigeria / Top 10 Strange Laws In African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by ikbnice(m): 8:25am On Sep 10, 2016
The quote that ‘ignorance is not a valid excuse before the law’ is the one most people can never forget. Many times, you or someone you know has been in trouble with the law because of something he/she did or did not do.
Especially in Nigeria, where a little mistake can land you in huge trouble, is it important that you know the laws that you should never break.
Here are some of the strangest ones you will ever see:

7. Sale of matches made with white phosphorus: The sale of matches made with white phosphorus or the use of white phosphorus in manufacture of matches is a criminal offence.
White phosphorus is a material made from a common allotrope of the chemical element phosphorus that is used in smoke, tracer, illumination, and incendiary munitions.
It can cause death if inhaled as a smoke or ingested. Extensive exposure by burning and ingestion may result in death.

6. Breach of promise to marry: If you promise to marry a person and fail to keep that promise, you can be sued at a court.
However before an act of a person can amount to breach of promise to marry. There are the following prerequisites:
a) There must be evidence before the court that indeed there was a promise of statutory marriage (under the Marriage Act).
This is because the different customary laws do not provide a cause of action for breach of executor contracts such as the promise to marry.
b) There must be evidence that a party to the contract to marry failed to perform his obligations

5. Witchcraft: Believe it or not, there is actually one of the Nigerian criminal code laws which is against witchcraft. According to the law, any person who by his/her statements or actions represents himself/herself to be a witch or to have the power of witchcraft is guilty of misdemeanour and is liable to two years in prison.

4. Army green: Under the Prohibition of Use act, it is illegal to paint your private vehicle, ‘army green’. This law has been extended sometimes to include wearing camouflage coloured attire. You do not want to be caught by the military contravening any of these laws.

3. Christian wives: This might be one of the strangest laws. Under the law, a wife of a Christian marriage is not criminally responsible for an act which she is actually compelled by her husband to
do in his presence.
There is however an exception, if it is an offence punishable with death, or one in which grievous harm to the person of another, or an intention to cause such harm.

2. Jactitation of marriage: In Nigeria, you can obtain a ‘jactitation of marriage’ , what this means is that you can get an injunction against someone from claiming to be your spouse.
Under the Matrimonial Causes act, if the person ignores the injunction, he/she can be arrested and prosecuted.

1. Reward for stolen property: Now, this is especially tricky. If someone steals your property, it is criminal to advertise a reward for the return of the stolen or lost property with a statement that no questions will be asked, or that the person producing such property will not be arrested or punished.

https://www.naij.com/962574-beware-7-strange-nigerian-laws-can-land-jail.html

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Barney11: 8:30am On Sep 10, 2016
Ok oh. The Barney.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by MrBen10(m): 8:36am On Sep 10, 2016
FTC
I dedicate this ftc to laura ikeji, my crush. just that she is unaware am dying crushing on her.
Lalasticlala comman see how u can charge dat ur ex babe for breaking ur heart after training her in sch for marriage
Modified; Jesu..! a land grabber has grabbed my ftc from me o, somebody help..
barney, this tin u did is not good o
anyway, lemme kuku manage STC
second to comment then

11 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Meeloreh(f): 8:54am On Sep 10, 2016
I like these
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by ikbnice(m): 8:58am On Sep 10, 2016
MrBen10:
FTC
I dedicate this ftc to laura ikeji, my crush. just that she is unaware am dying crushing on her.
Lalasticlala comman see how u can charge dat ur ex babe for breaking ur heart after training her in sch for marriage
Modified; Jesu..! a land grabber has grabbed my ftc from me o, somebody help..
barney, this tin u did is not good o
anyway, lemme kuku manage STC
second to comment then
someone faster than you overtook you. In Dame Patience Jonathan's voice, 'it's not easy to carry second'

8 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Christardor: 9:03am On Sep 10, 2016
Yinmu...Nigeria is a non-law abiding nation.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Ojestas(m): 9:07am On Sep 10, 2016
So, one cannot do WINCH in peace again undecided . . Lol

6 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by herzern(m): 3:59pm On Sep 10, 2016
Is that all??....

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Araoluwa005(m): 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2016
do you know that been poor can land you in jail?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by JaneDoeNg: 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2016
You forgot to add naming your dog after a President. As if he is the one that invented the name.

www.janedoeng..com

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2016
Interesting
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Lescalier: 4:01pm On Sep 10, 2016
Army Green.

Disobey this law and you will know yourself that day.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by neweraomo: 4:01pm On Sep 10, 2016

5 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by eleojo23: 4:01pm On Sep 10, 2016
OK.
Then we will need a special "air force" to be able to catch witches and bring them to justice. grin

14 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 10, 2016
for real?

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
Breach of promise to marry?
If to say dem really dey implement this law ehn,98% of our adult population go dey jail. grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by 4ckyou: 4:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
JaneDoeNg:
You forgot to add naming your dog after a President. As if he is the one that invented the name.
www.janedoeng..com
don't mind the idiot
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by moscobabs(m): 4:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
h
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Tjohnnay: 4:04pm On Sep 10, 2016
undecided
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 10, 2016
na wah o,i need to get my witch neighbor arrested then
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by jahbiz: 4:05pm On Sep 10, 2016
3. Christian wives: This might be one of the strangest laws. Under the law, a wife of a Christian marriage is not criminally responsible for an act which she is actually compelled by her husband to
do in his presence.
There is however an exception, if it is an offence punishable with death, or one in which grievous harm to the person of another, or an intention to cause such harm.

What does this mean?

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by 1shortblackboy: 4:06pm On Sep 10, 2016
20th to comment
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by omolakaka(m): 4:06pm On Sep 10, 2016
so there is hope for broken hrt. am so glad
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by naptu2: 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2016
Most of these laws are not in the constitution.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Araoluwa005(m): 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2016
Christardor:
Yinmu...Nigeria is a non-law abiding nation.
yinmu my brother, Nigeria is a lawless nation
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2016
Op...

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2016
I read this news like 20years ago angry

4 Likes

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 10, 2016
I be wizard,make dem com arrest me see d wrath of Sango.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 10, 2016
Noted
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by photoshoot(m): 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
Army green?

That's the stupid one of the list.. undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Arrested Me Because Of My Dressing, Murder Suspect Confesses / Missing UNIUYO Student Found Beaten To Death In Uyo. Photo / House Help Broke Into Her Madam's Safe And Stole 11,000 Dollars (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.