Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,193 members, 7,839,062 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail (44756 Views)

Man Wrongly Arrested For Murder Discharged After Spending 6 Years In Jail. PICS / 9 Things That Will Land You In Trouble In Nigeria / Top 10 Strange Laws In African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by cardoctor(m): 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
Jactitation. Hmmmm
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by chiedu7: 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
cool
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Teespice(f): 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
number 7 get as e be. I can't find anywhere in our written laws where number 7 is prohibited.

the last time I checked, under the cultural compatibility of the criminal code, witchcraft wasn't recognised under the criminal code and people who committed crimes under the guise of witchcraft and black magic were convicted and sentenced accordingly. I really wish I could cite cases to back up my point but I have forgotten the names but can still remember the principles and parts of the judgment. unless the status quo ante has been changed.

I agree with the rest.

odd enough, these laws are not found in the constitution. they are found in the marriage act, criminal code and the evidence act.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by tdayof(m): 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
No big deal
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by naptu2: 4:15pm On Sep 10, 2016
ikbnice:

https://www.naij.com/962574-beware-7-strange-nigerian-laws-can-land-jail.html

Really? What sections of the constitution are these laws in?

(Do you know the sources of nigerian law?)
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by muareal: 4:15pm On Sep 10, 2016
The last one nawa o
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Teespice(f): 4:16pm On Sep 10, 2016
jahbiz:
3. Christian wives: This might be one of the strangest laws. Under the law, a wife of a Christian marriage is not criminally responsible for an act which she is actually compelled by her husband to
do in his presence.
There is however an exception, if it is an offence punishable with death, or one in which grievous harm to the person of another, or an intention to cause such harm.

What does this mean?

when it comes to Christain marriage, the law recognises the fact that both man and wife are one. as when one of them commits a crime, none of them will be held liable. exceptions are abound in circumstances listed above.

it is repugnant in my opinion since one is meant to be liable for crimes committed irrespective of status.

even under the rules of evidence, a man cannot be compelled to testify against his wife and vice versa except in cases of offences of a sexual nature.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by cnsprince76: 4:21pm On Sep 10, 2016
We will appreciate it more if the relevant Laws and Sections are cited. Thanks for the informative article.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by visi123: 4:21pm On Sep 10, 2016
please can you oblige me with the section and the actual law that talks about witchcraft
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by ClitRaider: 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
If bubu have his way, he would jail anybody that insult him on a forum like this.
But it's not a crime, so i'd say; Bubu is a certified dullaro-basterrd son of a cow.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by afanide: 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
How many common man in the vilage is aware of these law
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Muhsinkhan(m): 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
Point of Correction Op, all these are not contained in the constitution. The constitution does not prescribe offenses and punishments. It merely gives life to other statutes.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Sermwell(m): 4:25pm On Sep 10, 2016
herzern:
Is that all??....

An Average University/Polytechnic/COE underqraduate should know all of this.....
If you claim to know this, pls tell us the sections of the constitution, criminal code and other relevant laws where it is provided for!
Ignoramus forming I-too-know undecided
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by herzern(m): 4:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
Sermwell:

If you claim to know this, pls tell us the sections of the constitution, criminal code and other relevant laws where it is provided for!
Ignoramus forming I-too-know undecided

[size=32pt]OK[/size]
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by TAXMASTER: 4:28pm On Sep 10, 2016
7 strange laws without quotations?? Infact op go and sit down.....#QUOTATIONSORIDONBLIVIT.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by tunde1200(m): 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2016
i don't get #3
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by AfroKnight: 4:40pm On Sep 10, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:

If to say dem really dey implement this law ehn,98% of our adult population go dey jail. grin

Once you propose, you must marry the babe o. Or else, na breach of promise to marry. grin Naija babes will be so happy to see this.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by dustydee: 4:43pm On Sep 10, 2016
Do nairaland moderators know the meaning of constitution? Spreading ignorance everyday. Are these not laws enacted either by the NA or the military?
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by AfroKnight: 4:46pm On Sep 10, 2016
Teespice:
number 7 get as e be. I can't find anywhere in our written laws where number 7 is prohibited.

the last time I checked, under the cultural compatibility of the criminal code, witchcraft wasn't recognised under the criminal code and people who committed crimes under the guise of witchcraft and black magic were convicted and sentenced accordingly. I really wish I could cite cases to back up my point but I have forgotten the names but can still remember the principles and parts of the judgment. unless the status quo ante has been changed.

I agree with the rest.

odd enough, these laws are not found in the constitution. they are found in the marriage act, criminal code and the evidence act.
Barrister, on this promise to marry law sha...

So, if I kneel down to propose to bae and she says yes, I cannot stand up and cancel it? What if my long lost crush
[size=1pt]Say, the lovely Teespice[/size]
were unexpectedly available. Would I be unable to defect to her side? grin
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by watchindelta(m): 4:56pm On Sep 10, 2016
no wan make sense!
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by pippimp(m): 4:59pm On Sep 10, 2016
Now i see why Nigerians are crazy. They have laws backing their insanity. How do you prove witchcraft?
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Gwazah(m): 5:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
naptu2:
Most of these laws are not in the constitution.
u can find these laws in criminal code, laws of northern Nigeria. And penal code laws of southern Nigeria, misdemeanor act, matrimonial act. Not the constitution, constitution is the mother of all laws and it is from there that other administrative laws are emanated, meaning there are laws that are not there but are in other codes, but these laws must not contravene any section of the constitution because of its supremacy.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Teespice(f): 5:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
AfroKnight:

Barrister, on this promise to marry law sha...

So, if I kneel down to propose to bae and she says yes, I cannot stand up and cancel it? What if my long lost crush were unexpectedly available. Would I be unable to defect to her side? grin

if you propose to someone and she agrees and you end up not marrying her, it is a breach of promise on your own part and vice versa. that's how it is stricto sensu, although in this parts, one can still break off an engagement and life goes on. a party can bring an action in court and would succeed especially if he/she has lost something tangible as a result of a broken engagement.

marriage is like a contract so to speak. promise to marry can be evidenced in writing, by words of mouth or by the action of the parties.

exceptions can be seen in cases of misrepresentation, mistake and contracts made by a minor who does not have a guardian in loco parentis. in that case, promise to marry can be voided.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Gwazah(m): 5:15pm On Sep 10, 2016
pippimp:
Now i see why Nigerians are crazy. They have laws backing their insanity. How do you prove witchcraft?
99% of witchcraft cases charged to court failed due to method of proving them.
1) the accused must voluntarily confessed to be a witch
2) he/she must make the trial judge to believed that he/she is a witch,
3) the suspect may either by words of proclamation make any thing to happen (eg) Ada is accused of bewitching Jerry, when the case is charged to court, before the trial judge Ada ordered Jerry to be free of the illness and it happened. Ada is guilty of witchcraft. But which of the accused can do that knowing fully well he/she can be jail for such prove?.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by akigbemaru: 5:19pm On Sep 10, 2016
Naija la
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Surfboard(m): 5:21pm On Sep 10, 2016
Breach of promise to marry cannot land you in jail, it's purely civil.

Besides all these things aren't in the constitution, as all the laws you've referred to are enactments of the national assembly. If provisions of these laws run contrary to provisions of the constitution, they will be null, void and unenforceable.

Lastly, wrong title to the thread, but I understand the need for sensationalism.

1 Like

Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Gwazah(m): 5:23pm On Sep 10, 2016
Teespice:

I agree with the rest.

the real charges is "Offences Related to witchcraft and practicing Juju" contrary to section 216 of the penal code laws of northern Nigeria. But I don't know that of criminal code.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by AfroKnight: 5:26pm On Sep 10, 2016
Teespice:

if you propose to someone and she agrees and you end up not marrying her, it is a breach of promise on your own part and vice versa. that's how it is stricto sensu, although in this parts, one can still break off an engagement and life goes on. a party can bring an action in court and would succeed especially if he/she has lost something tangible as a result of a broken engagement.

marriage is like a contract so to speak. promise to marry can be evidenced in writing, by words of mouth or by the action of the parties.

exceptions can be seen in cases of misrepresentation, mistake and contracts made by a minor who does not have a guardian in loco parentis. in that case, promise to marry can be voided.

Interesting. Hopefully it doesn't come with prison term attached sha. It would be unfair to go to prison just because you don't love someone anymore.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Teespice(f): 5:29pm On Sep 10, 2016
AfroKnight:

Interesting. Hopefully it doesn't come with prison term attached sha. It would be unfair to go to prison just because you don't love someone anymore.

nope, it does not come with prison terms because it is a civil suit.

you would be made to pay damages. could be monetary or otherwise.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Teespice(f): 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2016
Gwazah:

the real charges is "Offences Related to witchcraft and practicing Juju" contrary to section 216 of the penal code laws of northern Nigeria. But I don't know that of criminal code.

true that.

criminal code does not provide for offences relating to witchcraft as it is not recognised as a crime in the south. it cannot be used as a defence sef.
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by BrainnewsNg(f): 5:52pm On Sep 10, 2016
ikbnice:
someone faster than you overtook you. In Dame Patience Jonathan's voice, 'it's not easy to carry second'

Hmmmmmm

Good for you!
Re: 7 Strange Laws In The Nigerian Constitution That Could Land You In Jail by Rhea(f): 5:53pm On Sep 10, 2016
But kawaruption ifs not a crime

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman's Eyes Removed By Jos Ritualists After Being Injected On Her Farm.Graphic / Police Arrest Dispatcher Carrying Pistol In Dolphin Estate, Ajah / Engineer Stabs Wife & Son For Refusing To Return Home Due To Domestic Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.