Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,743 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents (2264 Views)

Does This Little Boy Deserve This Punishment? (photo) / #WifeNotCook Bitter Campaign: These Embittered Feminists Must Be Called To Order / See How Some People Use Their Marriages To Frustrate Others (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2016
A few days back, we were attending midweek service when it started raining heavily. After the service ended some people were stranded, including me.

As I was contemplating what to do next, I suddenly saw a woman whom I know quite well. She went over to some kids and asked if she could use their umbrella, they agreed and she left with it

A few minutes later the father of these kids came for them and he came with a small umbrella. The eldest child quickly informed him that she lent hers to someone but the dad scolded her harshly for doing such, he then commanded all of them to follow him at once. I repeat the rain was very heavy but he insisted that they had to leave. He used the only umbrella he brought with him to protect himself from the rain while his kids 8,7 and 5 had to enter it like that

Some minutes later, the woman's son returned with the umbrella but the kids had left, an old man who needed the umbrella and knew the family collected it from him while the boy had to enter the heavy rain back to his house, also without protection from the rain

Imagine this, a father used his umbrella to shield only himself from the rain while his kids had nothing to protect themselves, a mother knew she had no umbrella in her house yet she borrowed from kids and sent her child to return it knowing that he would have to enter the heavy rain back home with no alternative. The irony of this is that both of them are landlords.

This issue may seem trivial to some but I saw many things wrong

1)Why should a parent chastise a child for being kind and giving to another person especially as we all attend the same church and the kids know this woman well

2) What was the father trying to teach them when he refused to listen to them but instead ordered them to follow him immediately

3) How can a father shield himself while his kids are unprotected

4) A mother thought she needed to be protected from rain but didn't think her child needed it too

As trivial as this may seem, there will be other more important situations where these same parents would have to play the role of teachers and protectors and they will certainly fail again

If God has given you the privilege of being a parent, you must realize that it comes with some level of responsibility. Some will not waste time in telling you the number of children they have but how many are real mothers and fathers? Only God can judge that.

11 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by finalboss(m): 12:27pm On Sep 10, 2016
grin they shuld be called rentpa

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by project4OO: 12:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
The experience is actually adventurous to these kids cheesy
As bad as it sounds, kids* do not see it that way

*with the exemption of pampered kids o.

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by abdeiz(m): 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2016
sighs**
Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by glimpse(f): 1:43pm On Sep 10, 2016
You don't mean it. In other news.....

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by SAMBARRY: 1:56pm On Sep 10, 2016
That's some Nigerian parents for you.the welfare or well being of their children NO concern them.talk more of other children

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by eyinjuege: 1:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
Pidggin:
A few days back, we were attending midweek service when it started raining heavily. After the service ended some people were stranded, including me.

As I was contemplating what to do next, I suddenly saw a woman whom I know quite well. She went over to some kids and asked if she could use their umbrella, they agreed and she left with it

A few minutes later the father of these kids came for them and he came with a small umbrella. The eldest child quickly informed him that she lent hers to someone but the dad scolded her harshly for doing such, he then commanded all of them to follow him at once. I repeat the rain was very heavy but he insisted that they had to leave. He used the only umbrella he brought with him to protect himself from the rain while his kids 8,7 and 5 had to enter it like that

Some minutes later, the woman's son returned with the umbrella but the kids had left, an old man who needed the umbrella and knew the family collected it from him while the boy had to enter the heavy rain back to his house, also without protection from the rain

Imagine this, a father used his umbrella to shield only himself from the rain while his kids had nothing to protect themselves, a mother knew she had no umbrella in her house yet she borrowed from kids and sent her child to return it knowing that he would have to enter the heavy rain back home with no alternative. The irony of this is that both of them are landlords.

This issue may seem trivial to some but I saw many things wrong

1)Why should a parent chastise a child for being kind and giving to another person especially as we all attend the same church and the kids know this woman well

2) What was the father trying to teach them when he refused to listen to them but instead ordered them to follow him immediately

3) How can a father shield himself while his kids are unprotected

4) A mother thought she needed to be protected from rain but didn't think her child needed it too

As trivial as this may seem, there will be other more important situations where these same parents would have to play the role of teachers and protectors and they will certainly fail again

If God has given you the privilege of being a parent, you must realize that it comes with some level of responsibility. Some will not waste time in telling you the number of children they have but how many are real mothers and fathers? Only God can judge that.

We all need to learn the lesson of the wise virgins.
The children needed the umbrella, yet gave it to someone else.
A big umbrella which would have benefitted at least two or the three of them was taken away by another adult.
We should teach our children to be assertive, and learn not to please others at their own detriment.

Its important, because it's a cold cruel world out there.

We should also teach them to be kind, but not stupid.

They needed the umbrella, but gave it to someone else who was not sick or infirmed.
They've just learnt a lesson of life.

In all this story, the person I would blame is the woman that took advantage of those children by taking their umbrella , though she did return it but you can't really ask their father to wait for an umbrella that might not be returned.
You mentioned the father came with a smaller umbrella, which of the children should he have given that to btw? Especially since he made provision for an umbrella for his children.

All in all, I don't see the children as being abused, or not loved by their father. it's rain, a natural phenomenon which couldn't be helped by their father.
You also cannot ask them to wait under the shelter till the rain stops because it might not stop anytime soon.

He's their father, his call. He made the judgement call for what he felt was best for his family at that time.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Abiodunoluseun: 2:53pm On Sep 10, 2016
eyinjuege:

A big umbrella which would have benefitted at least two or the three of them was taken away by another adult.
We should teach our children to be assertive, and learn not to please others at their own detriment.

They needed the umbrella, but gave it to someone else who was not sick or infirmed.

In all this story, the person I would blame is the woman that took advantage of those children by taking their umbrella , though she did return it but you can't really ask their father to wait for an umbrella that might not be returned.
You mentioned the father came with a smaller umbrella, which of the children should he have given that to btw? Especially since he made provision for an umbrella for his children.

All in all, I don't see the children as being abused, or not loved by their father. it's rain, a natural phenomenon which couldn't be helped by their father.
You also cannot ask them to wait under the shelter till the rain stops because it might not stop anytime soon.

He's their father, his call. He made the judgement call for what he felt was best for his family at that time.

best assertion wt good parental view

4 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 4:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
SAMBARRY:
That's some Nigerian parents for you.the welfare or well being of their children NO concern them.talk more of other children

I was shocked more so because he is someone I respect and he is also a leader in Church.
Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 4:23pm On Sep 11, 2016
eyinjuege:

I agree with most of your points, I also blame the woman because she acted without considering the kids, she took advantage of their innocence, I agree. But the man didn't act like a father, he should have given the umbrella to at least the youngest child, he could have shared it with her or he could have waited a bit

Like you said, he is their dad and it's his call
Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by SAMBARRY: 4:56pm On Sep 11, 2016
Pidggin:

I was shocked more so because he is someone I respect and he is also a leader in Church.
it's usually the age factor. If you hear their reason they'll say I'm older than him or I'm training him wink
Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by lepasharon(f): 4:45am On Sep 12, 2016
Some Africans parents are full of shxt yet they claim moral authority

3 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Nobody: 5:47am On Sep 12, 2016
This thread is nauseating bullshit_===

Grown woman taking advantage of kids, The father was only instilling in them "Consequences" There will be repercussions for every thing you do, Giving the umbrella means you have to be in discomfort, it's a lesson.

And give the umbrella to the youngest? Really? What bullshit_ is that? The other kids will view it as favouritism.

3 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 12, 2016
The kid was stupid for giving away the umbrella. He deserved to be punished, it's just rain.
Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 12, 2016
The father did nothing wrong. His reaction was the best way to let the kids know not to allow themselves to be cheated next time.

If it was the good old days, such "mumuness" will be properly treated at home. grin

4 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pidggin:

I agree with most of your points, I also blame the woman because she acted without considering the kids, she took advantage of their innocence, I agree. But the man didn't act like a father, he should have given the umbrella to at least the youngest child, he could have shared it with her or he could have waited a bit

Enough of those una american rubbish.

So the man should die because he has kids?

So he is not a good father yet he still knew the importance of buying umbrella for them. How many have you bought for your kids?

He is not a good father but he left all he wad doing to come and carry them home.

I just placed embargo on my kids taking tea.

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pidggin:

So he is not a good father yet he still knew the importance of buying umbrella for them. How many have you bought for your kids?

He is not a good father but he left all he wad doing to come and carry them home.

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!

My first son treks back home alone after school. I carry the younger one in the car. My only daughtet will join the treking from this term.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2016
Wingback:

This thread is nauseating bullshit_===

Grown woman taking advantage of kids, The father was only instilling in them "Consequences" There will be repercussions for every thing you do, Giving the umbrella means you have to be in discomfort, it's a lesson.

And give the umbrella to the youngest? Really? What bullshit_ is that? The other kids will view it as favouritism.

I hope you don't plan on being so hard on your kids. Do you know that they can fall ill because they were exposed to the rain? There are other ways of chastising kids

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by crackhaus: 2:13pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pidggin:

I hope you don't plan on being so hard on your kids. Do you know that they can fall ill because they were exposed to the rain? There are other ways of chastising kids
Oh please, someone was still going to get exposed to the rain regardless.
I don't know if you were expecting all three kids to fit comfortably into the little umbrella...OR maybe they should have waited till the rain stops completely, no? undecided

You didn't read and understand this post, please go through it again..I was going to type something quite similar:
eyinjuege:

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 2:38pm On Sep 12, 2016
L
jusRadical:

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!

My first son treks back home alone after school. I carry the younger one in the car. My only daughtet will join the treking from this term.

He covered himself but left his kids exposed and you are supporting it? Haba, take it easy

You seem hard on your kids, please easy on it

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pidggin:
L

He covered himself but left his kids exposed and you are supporting it? Haba, take it easy

You seem hard on your kids, please easy on it

My sister, we need to allow the kids to knoe what reality is.

2 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 2:52pm On Sep 12, 2016
crackhaus:

Oh please, someone was still going to get exposed to the rain regardless.
I don't know if you were expecting all three kids to fit comfortably into the little umbrella...OR maybe they should have waited till the rain stops completely, no? undecided

You didn't read and understand this post, please go through it again..I was going to type something quite similar:

I said the last one was about five years old. He left her under the rain, I can't believe you are justifying this sad

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by crackhaus: 3:00pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pidggin:

I said the last one was about five years old. He left her under the rain, I can't believe you are justifying this sad
Not justifying his actions, I'm trying to understand how that particular incident translates to him not deserving of being a parent.

You also don't know if they made it all the way home like that.

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by eyinjuege: 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pidggin:

Pidggin aka iya ewe (mother of young children) grin

As a parent, you're doing a lot of permutations that will benefit ALL the members of your family.
An umbrella in the hands of the youngest one under heavy rain means that she will be left behind by the others who will of course be running in order to get out of the rain as soon as possible. An umbrella used by only her means that she might even be battling with it when the wind blows. Most small umbrellas are useless under heavy rain, talk more of it being handled by a young child. In short, the umbrella will slow her and inadvertently everyone down.
The bigger umbrella would have meant 2 or all 3of them would have been huddled under it, and moving at the same pace. And no one would be left behind, or slow others down.
Don't be surprised its that same father that will use Robb and mentholatom on their chests, and give them hot cups of chocolate when they get home, and ask them to dress warm before going to bed.
If you ask them to wait under the shelter till the rain stops, what if it doesn't stop anytime soon? As in all these multiple days rain? Or it stops late at night when it will be unsafe to start going home?

Personally, I'm not worried about those kids from your narrative.

3 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 7:45pm On Sep 12, 2016
eyinjuege:

Pidggin aka iya ewe (mother of young children) grin

As a parent, you're doing a lot of permutations that will benefit ALL the members of your family.
An umbrella in the hands of the youngest one under heavy rain means that she will be left behind by the others who will of course be running in order to get out of the rain as soon as possible. An umbrella used by only her means that she might even be battling with it when the wind blows. Most small umbrellas are useless under heavy rain, talk more of it being handled by a young child. In short, the umbrella will slow her and inadvertently everyone down.

The bigger umbrella would have meant 2 or all 3of them would have been huddled under it, and moving at the same pace. And no one would be left behind, or slow others down.
Don't be surprised its that same father that will use Robb and mentholatom on their chests, and give them hot cups of chocolate when they get home, and ask them to dress warm before going to bed.

If you ask them to wait under the shelter till the rain stops, what if it doesn't stop anytime soon? As in all these multiple days rain? Or it stops late at night when it will be unsafe to start going home?

Personally, I'm not worried about those kids from your narrative.

I can discern your experience from your posts. If this is the case then it makes me feel better. Yes o, ami ni aka iya ewe grin
Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Pidggin(f): 7:52pm On Sep 12, 2016
crackhaus:

Not justifying his actions, I'm trying to understand how that particular incident translates to him not deserving of being a parent.

You also don't know if they made it all the way home like that.

It is his role to protect his kids, it seemed to me like he would rather protect himself instead but I might be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by olureignforever: 9:50pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pidggin:

I can assure you that they love the experience (being beating by rain). Am sure they have also learnt their lessons

3 Likes

Re: Some People Don't Deserve To Be Called Parents by Roon9(m): 9:20am On Sep 16, 2016
Op the father wasn't wrong. If I were the one in his shoes though I would av carried the youngest child. That's the benefit of being the last child, am sure the others would understand but again the man was trying to teach them a lesson.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Viral Photos That Shows A White Man And His Adopted Black Daughter / I / A Tribute To My Knight In Shining Armour- My Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.