Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,285 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? (19055 Views)

Questions To Ask Before Accepting A Job Offer. / Important Contents Of Your Contract, Employment Letter Before You Sign / 5 Things You Need To Negotiate Before Accepting A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by DavidEsq(m): 9:58am On Sep 11, 2016
konny1:
Two things are involved: 1, u dont have job yet cos no agreement btw both parties. So anything can happen.
2, you can leave anytime without any period of notice.
Just know that both of u are playing game and if u are smarter than them u will win but if they are smarter than u they will win. Meaning u only need them to get better offer and they only need u to do any work at moment cos u said is a new firm. Meaning 3months equal to 6years experience.
But if along the line u fall in love the job immedately u collect ur 6th month salary the following day tender ur resignation letter and if they ask u why? Tell them u hv bin working for the past 6mnths with employment letter. Under 5mins u will receive ur employmnt letter.
Note: naximum 6months if u dont want to blame ursef.
Talking from exprience
U said it all. Moreso, where there is no employment letter, u ar just a casual worker having no benefit that wld ordinarily accrue to u in accordance with the labour laws

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by realdeal247(m): 9:58am On Sep 11, 2016
Op na charity work u com do.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by aieromon(m): 10:00am On Sep 11, 2016
Are you sure you went through a standard interview process?

You never get work oh,keep on searching my sister. It seemed someone employed you for ulterior motives.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by complete1(m): 10:06am On Sep 11, 2016
WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE JOB AND PLEASE CAN I KNOW THE NAME OF YOUR BOSS. I GOT A JOB AS URS,NEW SELF COMPANY AS THEY CLAIMED,WORKED FOR FIVE MONTH,GOT PAID 3 MONTHS AND ONE ISSUE OR THE OTHER CAME UP AND THEY SAID WE SHUD WAIT AND THEY WILL CALL US BACK IF THEY SETTLLE...TILL NOW WE HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THEM,TRIED CALLING MY BOSS PICKED FOR A WHILE AND RIGHT NOW HIS NUMBER IS NOT GOING THROUGH.THEY ARE NOT NIGERIANS THO
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 11, 2016
It will be useful if any disputes arise, work terms are laid out clearly because you don't want to end up doing things you didn't agree to and essentially makes your employment relationship more of an 'official' agreement so insist on a letter if you can, it's important
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Obas101(m): 10:50am On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
I recently just got a job and i wasn't offered an employment letter. They just told me my salary, period of probation and when to resume verbally without making it official. I'm kind of skeptical about the offer because the firm is a new one.
I want to know the implication of this before committing myself to the job.
You are on probation. After your probation you will be reviewed that's when you get your appointment letter. Bt ryt now you don't have the job
Probation usually last for 3 months. After d prob dats wen u become a full employee
Pls wots the name of the organization you working with

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Kgdavid(m): 11:07am On Sep 11, 2016
LaurelP:
Getting ur employment letter is very important. Without it, u cannot prove that you're a staff of the company. This implies that if they default in paying you, you can't sue them.

From my limited legal knowledge, this may not be true. The company may think they are being smart but in the eyes of the law, a verbal contract is still as binding as a written one. The only challenge is proving it but there are other ways to prove it, such as showing email records, taking pictures of yourself at work, secretly recording conversations, etc.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Mekyno(m): 11:13am On Sep 11, 2016
aninexzy:
U have bin offered a job so wat do u nid appointment letter for?
I don't what to call u an 'educated illitrate' because am not sure u passed through any form of education.
Upon all d sound advice ppl have given her, u didn't pick anything good from it.....smh

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Mekyno(m): 11:22am On Sep 11, 2016
Obas101:

You are on probation. After your probation you will be reviewed that's when you get your appointment letter. Bt ryt now you don't have the job
Probation usually last for 3 months. After d prob dats wen u become a full employee
Pls wots the name of the organization you working with
Nice. Even at that, she is still entitled to an official written agreement covering the probation period which states the 'dos and don'ts', to avoid story that touches the heart....#smiles

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by vkon2(m): 11:23am On Sep 11, 2016
Very interesting topic
And so far I have learnt alot from this topic
I work with a similar company too
No employment letter
U can't sue them, and at any time they may decide not to pay u
One thing I noticed about company that does not give employment letter, they don't pay every month,they owe salary
And wen the firm is about folding up u can't sue them
Before u think of working with such firm, u must know that the owner or management are crook, not straight forward, working with them is on ur own risk
But y mine is a little bit better is that they gave me a WORK ORDER, and with my salary account statement and ID card I can still try and Sue them, should I smell any fowl play
All the same my company is owing me four months outstanding

Happy Sunday
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by millionaireman: 11:51am On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
I recently just got a job and i wasn't offered an employment letter. They just told me my salary, period of probation and when to resume verbally without making it official. I'm kind of skeptical about the offer because the firm is a new one.

You are not an employee of the firm. If the firm fails to pay your salary at the end, you have no claims anywhere.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by NairaMaster1(m): 11:51am On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:
Okay. I will have to demand for it on resumption day then. To avoid stories

It depends on the integrity of the job. If it's the one that you can add to your CV just manage and see the first month, if you're paid continue until you secure another job. Don't stay idle. You never can tell. Good luck.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by odogwu9(m): 11:57am On Sep 11, 2016
handsomeclouds:
You have no job. I once got a job like that too, she told me my salary without any letter.
When I conducted a background information search, I discovered her last workforce left after owing them several months of salary.
It a pity.. You have no documentary evidence against them in case of a breach of contact.
But who am I?
Let the Barristers speak.
Lalasticlala.

I neva even see job,let alone to ask for employment letter...
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Clubeto(m): 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2016
Get ready to be sacked anytime, that if ur services are not up to their taste but if u work hard beyond ur boss expectation u might luckily land urself the job permanently
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Nten: 12:08pm On Sep 11, 2016
it means you would be sacked without giving you a "sack letter". lolzz

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by saintkeppy(m): 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2016
Is like signing a professional football player without due process/documentations like personal terms of agreement, Medicals, etc.
Maybe it will be given to you after ur 3months probation. But u can request by writing officially to the head of the organisation. Bottom line, just start work 1st, if the signs are not positive, then start applying for a fresh jobs available immediately.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 11, 2016
Kgdavid:

From my limited legal knowledge, this may not be true. The company may think they are being smart but in the eyes of the law, a verbal contract is still as binding as a written one. The only challenge is proving it but there are other ways to prove it, such as showing email records, taking pictures of yourself at work, secretly recording conversations, etc.

you forgot to mention previous pay slips
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
odogwu9:

I neva even see job,let alone to ask for employment letter...

Na one yeye secondary school fa!
The pay was ridiculously small.
I would rather stay home than work without pay!
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by abdeiz(m): 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2016
hahahaha ok ok lemme be serious.
you're in for along thing if your employer is heartless because you can't sue him for anything and they do that purposely.
you could be treated like poo and you'll have no mouth etc etcetera. Pls tell them to give you employment letter together with terms and conditions. read more on contract law and employer employee relationship.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by victree007(m): 12:32pm On Sep 11, 2016
I want to know the implication of this before committing myself to the job.[/quote]

My dear take the job and don't be negative just yet. My first job after NYSC didn't come with an offer letter until six months later and our verbal agreements were strictly adhered to.
Trust me when I tell you there are jobs with sweet offer letters but in the end the employers will not follow a thing stated in the offer letter.
So my advise is for you to accept it and go along until you notice a change in agreement.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by saintkeppy(m): 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2016
vkon2:
Very interesting topic
And so far I have learnt alot from this topic
I work with a similar company too
No employment letter
U can't sue them, and at any time they may decide not to pay u
One thing I noticed about company that does not give employment letter, they don't pay every month,they owe salary
And wen the firm is about folding up u can't sue them
Before u think of working with such firm, u must know that the owner or management are crook, not straight forward, working with them is on ur own risk
But y mine is a little bit better is that they gave me a WORK ORDER, and with my salary account statement and ID card I can still try and Sue them, should I smell any fowl play
All the same my company is owing me four months outstanding

Happy Sunday
. My sis was in the same situation as yours. Infact She had to lie pretty, just to get part of her salaries owed but she still left 4months unpaid salaries behind without notice or resignation letter cos there was no sign of salary payment at all infact they did'nt take staff welfare serious. She could not bring up any case against them cos there was no proof of "Offer of Employment letter".
She felt so bad &since moved-on.
If i may ask how do u cope with TP atleast?
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by MrHenshaw: 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:

Sacking you without termination letter.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Beadex1(m): 12:49pm On Sep 11, 2016
very wrong to do so......employment letter and company ID card, skye bank 2012 ordeal is still fresh on my mind
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by stag: 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
Ask for it on/before resumption.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by holluphemydavid(m): 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
No evidence to proof u are a staff
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Otsealu1(f): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2016
Since it's a new organisation I will advise you start. That was how I resumed too n after I think a month plus before we were given employment letter n ours is new too.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by erosimo(m): 1:24pm On Sep 11, 2016
aninexzy:
U have bin offered a job so wat do u nid appointment letter for?

Never u tell him that again....
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Exmay(m): 1:57pm On Sep 11, 2016
KillerBeauty:

If you have no other option of job @ the moment, please ensure you take the offer. After working for some months (2-3) you can draft your letter yourself and give it to the boss to sign. Just tell him/her it is needed by your bank or cooperative society to prove that you are gainfully employed.... chikena.

NB: I typed my employment letter myself after working for 9months in my organisation.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by dapiluv: 2:02pm On Sep 11, 2016
i was employed in present office without employment letter,since then i have never one day have issues,my salary is been paid at the right time.
But its not the best way of securing employment unlike when you get your letter and everything is well spell there.
I remember my boss will say "if anyone is not satified with her action can leave"
To those employers you dont have right.
My broda in absence of none please manage it while look else where.God help us.
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by Akinaukwa: 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2016
Just be prepared to receive your salary and allowances verbally and possible sack verbally cos no document to show for anything. Which kin office be that?
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by onac16: 2:27pm On Sep 11, 2016
you will be sacked without sack letter
Re: What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? by ojnnaco(m): 2:31pm On Sep 11, 2016
the implication is just that the oral agreements can be breached at will because you have nothing to show or evidence ..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#50,000 Job In Ibadan And #100,000 Job In Lagos, Which Is Better ? / My Boss Refuses To Pay Me My Salary For June Till Now / How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.