Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State (15880 Views)

Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. / Slay Queen Goes To Farm To Harvest Groundnuts When She’s Not Slaying (Photos) / I Found Multiple Pythons On My Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 12, 2016
aquadude15:
it all started like a joke on the 10th of September 2016, I was at my farm sorting my fish but I ran into the store when the rain started. it lasted for barely 2hours. next thing I saw was water coming with full force entered my pond and parked my fishes

I'm sorry for ur loss. I honestly understand aw u feel! If I may o, I'm in a very good catfish group on whatsapp, it is an educative forum esp on this kind of risks and uncertainties...if u interested, u can gv me ur numba, and I'll forward it thr, peace bro...I'm really sorry for ur loss, e dey PAIn mehn
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by goooze(m): 11:16pm On Sep 12, 2016
Sorry bro you will definitely bounce back
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by aquadude15: 4:25am On Sep 13, 2016
stancod:
bros are u a learner. U suppose to protect ur pond all round wit net
noted sir
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by aquadude15: 4:26am On Sep 13, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

I'm sorry for ur loss. I honestly understand aw u feel! If I may o, I'm in a very good catfish group on whatsapp, it is an educative forum esp on this kind of risks and uncertainties...if u interested, u can gv me ur numba, and I'll forward it thr, peace bro...I'm really sorry for ur loss, e dey PAIn mehn
tanks sir. 0703three4997seven5
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by 19naia(m): 4:39am On Sep 13, 2016
There is the field of topographical study and is used by developed nations when developing. They do the topographical study of the entire Nation and create zoned maps that zone areas for Flood risks or volcano risks, avalanche risk, land slide risk and so on.

One of the easiest to do in an area is a flood zone assessment, if you do not live in proximity of a very large river like river niger. Some very large rivers can flood out over hundreds of kilometers from their normal banks, so topographical study wont help much. People select low lands close to water sources to build fish ponds and that is the most basic flood zone. Any where near a stream or river is a flood zone. There is no escape from that reality.

What successful developments do within flood zones is they build up ramparts or dikes to the highest know flood level to keep the next flood from washing out the protected areas.
Observe the levels of this flood and build up the edges of your ponds to be much higher. Or put up high net barriers around the ponds so that water can flow through the nets but fish will remain.
I Suspect you will now have some wild fish species in your ponds. I like pond designs that incorporate some wild influence so the fish live a more natural lifestyle.
The flood level in the last picture does not seem very high. It looks like it will not take much more increase to raise the edges of the ponds.
Sorry Oooo ,but solutions are there for you to make a success out of it in the future.

I hope you did not build your ponds in a way that created a dam in the water source flow? Dams are designed to take advantage of a water source but they also raise the level of the water source bery high especially when it rains. The successful dams build in flood relief gates that bypass the the dam.
If your Ponds are damming up the stream to capture the water, you will need to first work on a flood bypass gate that can be opeded during rain. The flood bypass gate must take excess water to flow around the ponds and not through them to wash out all the fish. And then after making the bypass gate you can also raise the height of your pond edges.
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by dadebayo1(m): 7:23am On Sep 13, 2016
Sorry about the loss sir, you should consider netting the ponds with a strong net when restocking.. Once the net is properly fixed it will prevent the fish from swimming out or carried away even if the pond over flows due to flood... May God replenish all that you have lost.. All the best sir
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 13, 2016
aquadude15:
tanks sir. 0703three4997seven5
Nothing do you!
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by Thobiy(m): 9:49am On Sep 13, 2016
Sorry for the loss
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by habsydiamond(m): 10:37am On Sep 13, 2016
God will surprise u ma bro. Take heart
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by MakeWeTalk: 2:44pm On Sep 13, 2016
simpleseyi:

This your prophesy shall come to past. Come 2019, no member of your family go remain. Amen.

Hunger shall continue to wire your family, I dont know if una go reach 2019 sef . grin
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by butpro(m): 6:57am On Sep 14, 2016
opalu:
Sorry Bro.
The great make mistakes because they take many great steps.
The unknown make no mistakes because they attempt nothing.

Please I want to request all our Fish farmers to locate their pounds away from flood-prone areas that even a 10hr heavy downpour will never reach it. To achieve this you need protected and elevated pounds. Farming is the future of this Nation not Oil. So it must be protected than pipelines.
Thank you so much, I wish our youth can understand great deal of profit in farming, and stop abusing Buhari. If you see Dogara farms and other politicians. You will realise how myopic some Nigerian youths are. Thanks
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by judedave181: 10:55am On Sep 16, 2016
fergieboy:
Still searching for the 3million
search am for Google u go see am.
Re: I Lost N3million In My Farm To The Flood In Ondo State by damilonya(m): 7:47pm On Nov 06, 2016
[quote author=RABIUSHILE04 post=49307403]

I'm sorry for ur loss. I honestly understand aw u feel! If I may o, I'm in a very good catfish group on whatsapp, it is an educative forum esp on this kind of risks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Growing Potatoes In Sacks. / Low Cost Greenhouse From N200,000 / My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.