Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,888 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration (1063 Views)

Who Do You Think Is The Most Popular Minister In Buhari's Administration? / Breaking: Again, Senate Rejects Magu As EFCC Chairman, States Why / Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by deantimes(m): 6:15am On Sep 13, 2016
THE former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has ruled the possibility of her ever serving in the incumbent administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Okonjo-Iweala, who had served as finance minister under President Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan administrations,  said it was better to allow those managing Nigeria’s economy to do the best they could.

She spoke while participating in an Aljazeera programme: The Stream,

When asked of her  availability to serve the present administration if overtures were made to her by President Muhammadu Buhari, she said that Nigeria boasts of competent people, who would offer their services when called upon.

The former minister  said it is regrettable  that the economic gains recorded in Africa have started eroding a few years ago.

In her opinion, the solution must be to address the macroeconomic question, saying that having a firm control over the rate of inflation in addition to ensuring a stable exchange rate should be prioritised by African governments.

According to her, One of the things you learn as you get wiser is to talk less as you grow older. “I have spent my time contributing to the country. It will be better to live those managing the economy to do what they know how to do. There can be solutions.

“I am not a typical politician.

"I went in as a technocrat. I think on the continent we have seen a period when the economy was doing well, in the last two years we have been experiencing challenges. We  need to focus on the basics which are macro-economics. You must get the fundamentals like having a stable exchange rate and having  inflation under control.

“I served my country for seven years and it was a great honour. The second time was very tough but it is still an honour. I am not the only person who is a repository of knowledge. There are other people who can equally try their hands in running the economy.

“I will advise young people not to wait for employment. They should create jobs to employ six people or more. During my time in government, we had a programme called You Win designed to support young entrepreneurs. The whole idea was to have a business plan competition.

“The idea was that they should create jobs. And each, created 9-10 jobs. The World Bank did an evaluation of it and found it good. I do believe that the government should come in. We started a peer to peer mentoring. Now, one of the things I want to say is that creating employment is not only about struggles, it is about managing success.”

On how how corruption was tackled at her time in government, she said: “It was a very tough fight, I must thank my team, you don’t do it alone, I had the support of an economic team in the Ministry of Finance. It was tough because at the end of the day you need to have some principles.”

http://www.socialtimesng.com/2016/09/okonjo-iweala-states-why-she-cannot-serve-in-buharis-administration/

Lalasticlala, mynd44

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by sarrki(m): 6:18am On Sep 13, 2016
Madam , the truth is that we can't even allow u to

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Mynd44: 6:19am On Sep 13, 2016
Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by ehnok(m): 6:19am On Sep 13, 2016
Serving in this govt means putting ur reputation at risk...

11 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:20am On Sep 13, 2016
grin
Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by chemicalDisease: 6:22am On Sep 13, 2016
sarrki:

NOI will never accept any offer from ur dullard president cos she's not in ur class and not a zombie.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by justi4jesu(f): 6:26am On Sep 13, 2016
sarrki:

She is 100% not interested undecided undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by babasanti: 6:27am On Sep 13, 2016
Okonjo iweala, Nigeria's own Ed Woodward. Brilliant woman, dullard buhari

9 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by demolinka(m): 6:32am On Sep 13, 2016
Madam dey where u dey abeg. Let's try other options and see if they won't do better in 7 years
Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Orjioorji(f): 6:33am On Sep 13, 2016
an epitome of knowledge, God bless you ma.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by nextprince: 6:35am On Sep 13, 2016
This woman is one of the few members of GEJ cabinet who can never be indicted 4 yam eating. She knows her job. She had predicted the present economic recession long b4 the present administration.

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 13, 2016
I will advise young people not to wait for employment. They should create jobs to employ six people or more
Where is the money to even create jobs in this failure's regime ?

Must the citizens always be left to do everything for themselves in this country ?

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by drss2(m): 6:42am On Sep 13, 2016
cheesy NOI is one of d most intelligent woman in nigeria. a respected figure worldwide. why will a highly intelligent person like her work with a dullard

9 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by drss2(m): 6:44am On Sep 13, 2016
sarrki:
NOI will never even agree to work under buari dullard.

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by sosanova: 6:48am On Sep 13, 2016
According to her, One of the things you learn as you get wiser is to talk less as you grow older. “I have spent my time contributing to the country. It will be better to leave those managing the economy to do what they know how to do. There can be solutions.

Chai

She subtly dig at Buhari and APC over their blame games
"As you grow older, you talk less.

Then she said it's better to leave those managing our Economy (Kemi Adeosun ) to do what hey know best

Those managing our Economy now have sent our Economy to the gutters, .....Mere Commissioner Kemi Adeousn is confused on what policies to implement on the Economy, her trial and error policies have caused the Nigerian Economy serious damage.

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:53am On Sep 13, 2016
They can't call u names and expect you to come work for them. This Government is really confused, don't spoil all you've built up in years

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by nextprince: 6:55am On Sep 13, 2016
drss2:
NOI will never even agree to work under buari dullard.
drss2:
cheesy NOI is one of d most intelligent woman in nigeria. a respected figure worldwide. why will a highly intelligent person like her work with a dullard
Bro, read the report, u will discover that she is indirectly advertising to be a member of the present administration (Finance) in the wake of calls to the president to reconsider the appointment of Kemi Adeosun. Similar drama ensued prior to her appointment in previous administrations. Though, she knows her job, I can't dispute that.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 13, 2016
drss2:
grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 13, 2016
Ggff
Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by michelz: 7:02am On Sep 13, 2016
As brilliant and humble as ever; no unnecessary airs around her,while oozing out confidence and intelligence. There's just something about most of GEJ's ministers... No wonder they keep on getting international recognition and responsibilities. I know some of Buhari's chewing-gum ministers would have had their ears glued to the tv waiting for her to drop any detail on how to salvage the receding economy... sorry guys,nothing for you.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by DaudaAbu(m): 7:05am On Sep 13, 2016
with a population of 160+ million, yet some think only one individual have solution to our problem?

There are a thousand and one better economic managers out there, lets just find them
Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by seunaj: 7:07am On Sep 13, 2016
NOI: is a Christian and Igbo and hence belongs to the five percent. Even if she has the expertise, to Muhammadu Buhari, she is an infidel and because of d ethnic and spiritual cleansing going under BuBu administration, since Buhari has no plans to go for second tenure, it sounds better with BuBu' if Nigeria economy collapses.
Buhari has no plans to fix the economy, all he is doing is to create an enabling environment for the next northern president coming in in 2019(whether PDP/APC) , na same same, abokki na abokki with the same vision. Secondly, he wants to weaken the south dats why he is investing Millions of dollars in the search for mineral resources in the north. By so doing, the next president will be fully ready to divide Nigeria when the North has become self sustaining.

Some of this agendas will have been welcomed if not for the fact that it's the northern agenda and biased towards the south, not the Nigeria agenda.
The only reason why we are still together is because the North is not yet self sustaining, they still need the oil to survive. The togetherness is a disguise, NIGERIA done divide a long time ago!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by EternalTruths: 7:09am On Sep 13, 2016
sarrki:

She has rejected your 97% led government

So enjoy your recession and leave her & her people alone

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by sinistermind(m): 7:11am On Sep 13, 2016
Insult her or not this woman is intelligent. She just said the whole truth, she's not the only repository of knowledge. The govt should try others. But is the government even trying others? We have a redundant economic team with no Economist in the team.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by Abilitya: 7:24am On Sep 13, 2016
Let's try and be clinical in our analysis, if we are using oil prices as an economic indices to judge an administration. Have we considered the pros and cons? if fuel price should get to £200 today, with this kind of govt in place, how do you source for forex. this will translate to higher domestic price and we should know the band wagon effect that this will have on the economy. so give or take let's give honour to whom honour is due.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo Iweala States Why She Cannot Serve In Buhari's Administration by muri4mig(m): 7:58am On Sep 13, 2016
To be sincere I don't know why people ado NOI. The question is, if she has done well to our economy in d past 8 years, why are we still in this mess? How come we still embrace change in the 2015 election? Why so much looting under her nose. I think EFCC will do us a great disservice if they did not probe this rag-tag-head egomanaic woman who think Africa economy solution lies beneath her gale.

(1) (Reply)

Cjn Berates Buhari In Face-to-face Meeting At Aso Rock / Ken Saro-Wiwa Jr. Dies At 47 / Autonov1: The Military Invention By Late Prof Ayodele Awojob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.