Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,555 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala (49100 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By Standard Chartered As Director, To Earn £130k / Dignitaries In Buhari's House For Wedding Of Fatima & Gimba (Photos) / Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by devilmaycry: 2:27am On Sep 13, 2016
LAGOS—FORMER Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala yesterday said it was better to allow those managing Nigeria’s economy to do the best they could, noting that there could be solutions to the present economic decline in the country.

She also noted that she would not be available to serve the present administration if overtures were made to her by President Muhammadu Buhari, noting that Nigeria boasts of competent people, who would offer their services when called upon.

Okonjo-Iweala, who said this while participating in an Aljazeera programme: The Stream, regretted that the economic gains recorded in Africa started eroding a few years ago, noting that solving macroeconomic question was key to fixing the continent’s economic challenges.

She specifically said that having a firm control over the rate of inflation in addition to ensuring a stable exchange rate should be prioritised by African governments.

She said: ‘’ One of the things you learn as you get wiser is to talk less as you grow older. I have spent my time contributing to the country. It will be better to live those managing the economy to do what they know how to do. There can be solutions.

“I am not a typical politician. I went in as a technocrat. I think on the continent we have seen a period when the economy was doing well, in the last two years we have been experiencing challenges. We need to focus on the basics which are macro-economics. You must get the fundamentals like having a stable exchange rate and having inflation under control.

“I served my country for seven years and it was a great honour. The second time was very tough but it is still an honour. I am not the only person who is a repository of knowledge. There are other people who can equally try their hands in running the economy.

“I will advise young people not to wait for employment. They should create jobs to employ six people or more. During my time in government, we had a programme called You Win designed to support young entrepreneurs. The whole idea was to have a business plan competition.

“The idea was that they should create jobs. And each, created 9-10 jobs. The World Bank did an evaluation of it and found it good. I do believe that the government should come in. We started a peer to peer mentoring. Now, one of the things I want to say is that creating employment is not only about struggles, it is about managing success.”

Also, counseling people on accounting, bookkeeping and not falling apart is very important.”

Responding to a question on how the anti-corruption war was fought during her time in government, she said: “It was a very tough fight, I must thank my team, you don’t do it alone, I had the support of an economic team in the Ministry of Finance. It was tough because at the end of the day you need to have some principles.”

On her roles as a Finance Minister, Okonjo-Iweala said: ‘’The average life span of a Finance Minister is two year in a country. No one likes a Finance Minister because it is the business of saying no. It is very difficult and challenging. It was interesting for me. I wish I had seen myself as wielding power. All I saw was the job because I was seeing myself working for the country.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/will-not-serve-buharis-govt-okonjo-iweala/

102 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by nobilis: 2:28am On Sep 13, 2016
Really??
The YouWin that served as an avenue for embezzling funds?

How much did you save in Nigeria's time of abundance? Because you were at the helm of her finances when her main and virtually, only, export, crude oil, was sold for the highest price ever in the history of the world.

Where is the FG's share of the ECA?

What did you people do with the economy when Nigeria was in her time of plenty?

185 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by sarrki(m): 2:33am On Sep 13, 2016
Madam , you won't even be called to serve

142 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by devilmaycry: 2:35am On Sep 13, 2016
sarrki:
u did be suprise ... Am still baffled that she hasn't been caught of fraud yet

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by devilmaycry: 2:38am On Sep 13, 2016
nobilis:
Really??

How much did you save in Nigeria's time of abundance? Because you were at the helm of her finances when her main and virtually, only, export, crude oil, was sold for the highest price ever in the history of the world.

exactly ...well spoken .... Walahi this woman should be caught for embezzlement.

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by Donsamie(m): 2:38am On Sep 13, 2016
Pls help if u can,we need some one like u to help save the economy.

419 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by mazimee(m): 2:45am On Sep 13, 2016
nobilis:
Really??
sarrki:
devilmaycry:
devilmaycry:
devilmaycry:
exactly ...well spoken .... Walahi this woman should be caught for embezzlement.
devilmaycry:

Channel your frustration to your president and his dumb incompetent ministers.
Your hatred won't change anything about her.

680 Likes 80 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by devilmaycry: 2:54am On Sep 13, 2016
mazimee:

bro if I should channel my anger On your president ... Two weeks and we still be on the matter .

4 Likes

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by nobilis: 3:05am On Sep 13, 2016
mazimee:

This your response is part of what is the problem with Nigeria.
Inability to separate your emotions and sentiments from reality.

I neither hate nor love Okonjo-Iweala.
The questions I asked are valid questions any right-thinking Nigerian should be asking.

But obviously, we are so shallow-minded that we fail to hold our leaders, both past and present, accountable for their actions. We are so petty that we wear our emotions and sentiments on our sleeves and allow our politicians to sway us by mere words.

Well, we get the leaders we deserve sha.

149 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by Kwamecron(m): 3:09am On Sep 13, 2016
No body ever miss her in nigeria... They render nigerian to this state.. With enbezzument.... Thief.... Shame... Shame.... Shame.... Shame.......

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by pol23: 3:16am On Sep 13, 2016
Many people hate what they don't understand.
Call all the Auditor on Earth, she might never be indicted in any financial loot.
That ain't mean she's Holy though.
But truth be say... Which of the APC Economists can matchup to her?
I no like her sef, But I hate APC far more.

272 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by nobilis: 3:29am On Sep 13, 2016
saint7000:

Look at them...the problem of Nigeria; causing confusion, choas left and right, up and down in this country. Their sister pop-and-mom shop accountant has practically destroyed our economy, and these confusonists are blaming a world renowned economist whom under her stewardship Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa. Today, all of that gain has vanished. And these two have the temerity to tarnish her image? Afonja are naturally hateful!

What did she do to make Nigeria the largest economy in Africa? Nothing.
Which of her policies drove Nigeria to the top of African economic landscape? Just mention one.

Like I said earlier, she presided over the economy when crude oil sold for the highest ever price in human history. Crude oil is Nigeria's main and only export. So why won't Nigeria be the largest economy in Africa in that period. Na Jazz

She might be the best economist Nigeria will ever see but still I ask, what did she do with Nigeria's economy in Nigeria's time of abundance?
Even while she is lamenting her hand being forced to share the monies in the ECA, what did she do with the FG's share?

Valid questions that sentimentalists won't dare ask.

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by smada13(m): 3:44am On Sep 13, 2016
Nigeria's future is in serious trouble.... our youths are fully riddled with tribalistic and religious bigotry...instead of analysing issues critically and offering constructive criticisms, they instead hold each other at the jugular and throw unneeded hate talks at each other....

back to the topic...

I so respected this woman then, but after finding out what the west use worldbank and IMF to perpetuate, I now look at her with a suspicious eyes....

nevertheless, I salute her brilliance.....but it never added to our prosperity in her second stint. I believe her performance in d first stint was due to the OBJ-effect

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by smada13(m): 3:45am On Sep 13, 2016
God help Nigeria.....

4 Likes

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by Abeymills(m): 3:49am On Sep 13, 2016
She has said it all as u grow older u speak less bubuhari an old clueles dullard tyrant who talks carelessly yeye govt

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by devilmaycry: 3:53am On Sep 13, 2016
saint7000:

Look at them...the problem of Nigeria; causing confusion, choas left and right, up and down in this country. Their sister pop-and-mom shop accountant has practically destroyed our economy, and these confusonists are blaming a world renowned economist whom under her stewardship Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa. Today, all of that gain has vanished. And these two have the temerity to tarnish her image? Afonja are naturally hateful!
what gain ? Your eyes are clouded with the fact that during her time Nigeria was actually stable economy-wise, dnt just start ranting anyhow
December 10, 2015
The Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered a
former Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-
Iweala, and the Federal Government to “provide
information on the spending of the alleged
missing N30 trillion which represents some
accruable income to the Federal Government
during the last four years of the administration
of former President Goodluck Jonathan.”
The judgment was delivered last week by Hon
Justice Ibrahim Buba following a Freedom of
Information suit number FHC/L/CS/196/2015
brought by the Socio-Economic Rights and
Accountability Project (SERAP).
Wait ,that's not all
As a September 25, 2013 memo from Central
Bank’s Governor Lamido Sanusi suggests,
President Goodluck Jonathan, together with
Petroleum and Finance Ministers, is involved
in illegal diversion, or theft, of over N8
trillion crude oil sales proceeds. Reacting to
the news, Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-
Iweala did not provide any details on
whereabouts of the money; instead, she
criticized those who have mounted a
“campaign of falsehoods and distortions”
against her.

Back in September, Sanusi noted that for all
crude oil sales within the period, the Nigeria
National Petroleum Corporation paid only 24
percent proceeds into the federation account,
and diverted or stole the remaining 76 percent-
totalling N8 trillion between January 2012 and
July 2013.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by nobilis: 3:59am On Sep 13, 2016
saint7000:

Afonja nuisance. Blinded by hate!
Okay

1 Like

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by kettykin: 4:13am On Sep 13, 2016
What if Okonjo iweala, soludo, Nnaji and other igbo should not contribute anything in form of advice to the federal government and let APC government source for this advice else where.
I learnt Mikel bailed out the eagles during the Olympics, iheanacho left his thriving career to come and bail out the Nigerian team during the last qualifiers against Tanzania. What if such assistance stop .The government of Nigeria is bigger than any individual.

What if Igbos who don't know what to do with their talents open consultancy for free for needy African countries . You can't continue to assist a nation that hates You so much that they are proposing to kill the economy of your region and people through scorched earth policies of allocating zero budget to projects from your region.

I also understand igbos are winning laurels for the nation in the paralympics.

If you don't know what to do with your talent then you can provide your talents to boost the medal ranks of independent participants in the Olympics.

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by naijafella(m): 4:22am On Sep 13, 2016
Overused tyre...mtchew

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by smada13(m): 4:23am On Sep 13, 2016
kettykin:
What if Okonjo iweala, soludo, Nnaji and other igbo should not contribute anything in form of advice to the federal government and let APC government source for this advice else where.
I learnt Mikel bailed out the eagles during the Olympics, iheanacho left his thriving career to come and bail out the Nigerian team during the last qualifiers against Tanzania. What if such assistance stop .The government of Nigeria is bigger than any individual.

What if Igbos who don't know what to do with their talents open consultancy for free for needy African countries . You can't continue to assist a nation that hates You so much that they are proposing to kill the economy of your region and people through scorched earth policies of allocating zero budget to projects from your region.

I also understand igbos are winning laurels for the nation in the paralympics.

If you don't know what to do with your talent then you can provide your talents to boost the medal ranks of independent participants in the Olympics.

what have you said now bros, really what have you contributed if not hate talks and bigotry.

if I ever come across the person that sponsored you through school, I'll advice the person to find away to get his money back cuz its turning to a waste.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by mrvitalis(m): 4:38am On Sep 13, 2016
saint7000:

Look at them diabolical afonja...the problem of Nigeria; causing confusion, choas left and right, up and down in this country. Their sister pop-and-mom shop accountant has practically destroyed our economy, and these confusonists are blaming a world renowned economist whom under her stewardship Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa. Today, all of that gain has vanished. And these two have the temerity to tarnish her image? Afonja are naturally hateful!
High crude prices made us the world largest economy. . Not her

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by kettykin: 4:42am On Sep 13, 2016
smada13:

what have you said now bros, really what have you contributed if not hate talks and bigotry.

if I ever come across the person that sponsored you through school, I'll advice the person to find away to get his money back cuz its turning to a waste.

I don't understand what you mean. I was trying to ask a question. What I actually mean to ask is should igbos continue to invest in a state like Lagos where there property has been demolished without compensation, where the businesses of their indigenes has been seized and business harrassed like criminals.

Should igbos continue to advice or work for a country where there is zero investments in their region. The south east recorded the least in terms of budget. The federal government also described the region as minority. Is it not tantamount to investing in your death, given your advice to a government that has sworn to kill all your indigenes in their wild and foolish quest to remain united.

Igbos have won most golds in the paralympic , and igbos are going to be using their talented footballers to assist the country to get a place in the nations cup. Igbos who are in the IMF might also be expected to assist the country when they come for loans which would not be beneficial to igbo land.

Should igbos continue such self less service to the country that almost starved them to death and are doing everything humanly possible to make sure that igbos are stagnated. A country that has no igbos in the top echelon of its heirachy.
A country where Igbo indigenes are being victimized with all sorts of corruption charges while real thieves that embezzled billions of dollars in phantom power project are walking around free.

This is my question

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 4:49am On Sep 13, 2016
Madam,
it is in by ur best interest to keep quiet about Nigeria.
The people you think you served will love to have your head on a platter.

They are too blinded with hate to see any good thing in you.

Focus energy on the forth coming South East Economic Summit, we are coming there to listen to you, to learn from you and to put to use whatever we can glean from your experience.

I am.sorry to say this madam, your type do not belong to Nigeria!

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by smellingmenses: 4:57am On Sep 13, 2016
sarrki:

she wouldn't even respond

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by smellingmenses: 4:58am On Sep 13, 2016
mrvitalis:
High crude prices made us the world largest economy. . Not her
takes an airfilled brain to speak thus

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Will Not Serve In Buhari’s Govt – Okonjo-iweala by smellingmenses: 4:59am On Sep 13, 2016
smada13:

he's said the fact

22 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Video Of Electricity Workers On Strike Shutting Transmission Station In Nigeria / Shettima Smiles As He Welcomes Bola Tinubu / Soludo Demolishes Olulu Eke Deity In Ekwulobia, Anambra (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.