Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,223 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures (750 Views)

Top Black CEOs At Global Corporations And Lessons From Their Careers / Top Career Lessons From Cristiano Ronaldo's Career So Far / The Life Cycle Of A Nigerian Worker:only A Co Woker Can Relate To This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures by lajoshua: 1:43pm On Sep 13, 2016
Jack Ma turned 52 on Sept. 10, 2016, and is currently worth $27.9 billion. ironically Ma once made $12 per month as an English teacher (though he was still happy).
His achievements are mind blowing and practically unbelievable considering his meager and humble beginnings He failed more times (and more spectacularly) than most of us could can bear in a lifetime.
These are seven ways Ma experienced soul-crushing,depressing failure, but managed to keep his optimism, just like his hero, Forrest Gump.
1. He Did not give up even after failing at school.
Ma was not a good student. In fact, he almost didn’t get into middle school.
"I failed a key primary school test twice I failed the middle school test thrice, I failed the college entrance exam twice…” . These are things most of us are lucky enough to have never said to our parents.
But surprisingly, Ma’s not the only one. There’s a pattern with other great minds, including Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, and Abraham Lincoln all struggled early in life with academics but went on to do great things.
2. Got 1 out of 120 points on the math portion of his college entrance exam.
Failing is one thing. Getting a score of less than 1 percent on your college entrance exam is something else entirely. And it wasn’t because he didn’t have time to prepare. To this day, Ma struggles with mathematics, despite the fact that Alibaba is a tech company.
Ma: “I am not good at math, have never studied management, and still cannot read accounting reports."
But then, he never needed to be good at math to become a billionaire. Even more impressive is that he never heard of the word “computer” in his childhood.
3.He wasn’t deterred after being rejected from Harvard 10 times.
It’s not so much that being rejected from Harvard 10 times is a surprise, it’s that he kept applying that many times in the first place. What this shows us is that Ma as an attitude of persistence.“The very important thing you should have is patience.”He also went to the aptly named Hangzhou Normal University, where he went on to become an English major.
4. He stayed optimistic after being turned down for 30 jobs.
After graduating from college, he applied to 30 different jobs and was continously rejected by all of them.
He even applied to be a police officer. But they didn’t even give him the benefit of doubt, rejecting him with three simple words: “You’re no good.”
Fortunately, just like his favorite movie hero, Forrest Gump, Ma kept on running. "Today is cruel. Tomorrow is crueler. And the day after tomorrow is beautiful."
5. He was the only interviewee (out of 24) rejected by KFC.
Out of 24 KFC applicants in his group, 23 were hired. Ma was the only one to be rejected. He attributes this largely to his lack of good looks and short stature.
His wife, Zhang Ying (who married him before he became wealthy), doesn’t mind his appearance. “Ma Yun is not a handsome man, but I fell for him because he can do a lot of things handsome men cannot do.”

6. He couldn’t convince Silicon Valley to fund Alibaba.
Even after starting Alibaba, he was victim of multiple failures. It wasn’t profitable the first three years. In the beginning, they expanded too fast and almost imploded when the dot-com bubble burst. At one point, Alibaba was just 18 months away from bankruptcy.
As Ma humbly remark: “I call Alibaba ‘1,001 mistakes.’”
7. He told his 18 Alibaba partners that none of them could be execs.
In one of the terrible financial and motivational decisions a CEO can make, Ma told the 18 partners (contributing capital for a total of $60,000 USD), that none could rise higher than the rank of manager. His plan was to actually hire outside managers.
This, he remarks, as his biggest mistake ever. “The lessons I learned from the dark days at Alibaba are that you've got to make your team have value, innovation, and vision.”
If at first you don’t succeed...keep trying
Jack Ma is a classic grass to grace story, but even more impressive than his fabulous wealth is his immense level of persistence. He is proof that no series of failures (despite how totally depressing) can keep someone from achieving their dreams.
As Ma says: “If you don’t give up, you still have a chance. Giving up is the greatest failure.”

source:http://www.voiceofaudacity.com/2016/09/jack-ma-series-how-jack-ma-overcame-his.html

cc:lalasticlala

Re: Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures by lajoshua: 2:02pm On Sep 13, 2016
lalasticlala...dont you think jack ma's life is an inspiration cry cry
Re: Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures by teddyYz: 3:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
Interesting.
Re: Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures by lajoshua: 5:14pm On Sep 13, 2016
teddyYz:
Interesting.
yeeaah ...i dont know why lalasticlala doesn't find it intresting embarassed embarassed
Re: Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures by Anoti1(m): 9:11pm On Sep 13, 2016
Really inspiring
Re: Lessons From The Life Of Jack Ma: How Jack Ma Overcame His Biggest Failures by lajoshua: 7:49am On Sep 14, 2016
Anoti1:
Really inspiring
yeeaah... why is lalasticlala not finding this inspiring?? I don't gerrit cc:lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Dentistry/dental Surgery.....another Tougher Ministry / My Friend's Experience Today! / Interview With Pacific Solutions And Technology Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.