Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,815 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume (22181 Views)

In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors / Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately / Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Thobiy(m): 8:47am On Sep 15, 2016
Nice info
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Okaakoko(m): 8:50am On Sep 15, 2016
raebox:
ya sucha weeder
angry
raebox:
ya sucha weeder
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by ReverseEngineer: 9:04am On Sep 15, 2016
rasojie:
where are you located?
Lagos sir.
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by aalangel(f): 9:13am On Sep 15, 2016
Holargyde:
Many more people under-promote themselves on their resumes than the reverse. They leave their most significant accomplishments off their resumes, because they are afraid to claim them!

Why would anybody hesitate to claim their professional accomplishments? In this list of Ten Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim on Your Resume, you’ll see why talented people so often understate their own career histories.

10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume

1. You can claim any project you were part of, even if your manager was not aware of your participation or would not have approved the time and energy you spent on the project. This is one reason many people don’t claim their most exciting projects. They don’t claim them because they didn’t have their manager’s full support for the project!

2. You can claim any good idea that you came up with, especially if you had to “sell” the idea to upper management. Make sure to call out that accomplishment in your resume, like this: “I conceived of our new pricing scheme and sold the idea internally for six months before it was adopted and then expanded to include all seven regions.” Yes, you can use the word “I” in your resume, and you should!

3. You can claim work that you performed on a volunteer basis or when you were consulting with a friend for free.

4. You can claim work that you performed as a favor to a colleague.
5. You can claim accomplishments that were not part of your official job description. Here’s another reason many people fail to take credit for their triumphs. They keep their coolest accomplishments off their resume because those wins were not in their job description. Who cares?
6. You can claim everything you learned at work, whether you learned it in a classroom, online, or from another employee. On-the-job training is just as good as instructor-led training, if not better!

7. You can claim the leadership of a task or project if it is true. It doesn’t matter whether anyone appointed you the group leader, or whether you just took on that role naturally.
8. You can claim wins that didn’t show success while you were working for the company, but only bore fruit later. It’s still your win! People work on cathedrals for hundreds of years before the cathedral is finished. Every one of those people is part of the triumph when the cathedral doors open.

9. You can claim projects that you worked on that never came to fruition. It’s still tremendous learning for you!

10. Finally, you can claim responsibilities that were in someone else’s job description, as long as you actually carried out the responsibilities.

Feel Free to add yours

"Claiming" here, doesn't it connote lying?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by akanbiaa(m): 9:29am On Sep 15, 2016
Reubenxtra:
people who say its not relevant have alot to learn,keep praying for that connection to come. I tell you, you'll do yourself a good favour by heeding to this vital information,otherwise you'll miss opportunities,i mean lots of them. I got two jobs because of these information on my CV, i was able to defend them at the interview. Don't be too 'Nigerian' to a point where you lack wisdom to do what ought to do...do your part, and seek connection if you have. God bless You!
Why did you leave the 2 jobs?
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 15, 2016
You can even claim work experience that you never had. jst make sure u have and alibi and get ur stories straight. if not, the interviewer will see right through that lie.
Re: 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Can Claim On Your Resume by bomolu: 8:05am On Sep 19, 2016
A bottled water factory in Surulere needs the services of experienced drivers to supply and sell their products to customers. Salary very attractive.
Interested persons should reside at Surulere or its environs.
Should posses an original Drivers license.
Experienced drivers from other water factories have added advantage. Please Call 08180699323 for more details or visit 16 Badaru Street, off Adegoke, Surulere. Lagos.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Npower: Physical Verification To Commence On The 10th September / My Chat With An Online Job Scammer / 5 Tips To Increase The Value Of Your CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.