Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,638 members, 7,820,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Node.js Vs Php - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Node.js Vs Php (2396 Views)

Python Vs Php / Is Node.js A Future??? / 10 Weeks Of Node.js After 10 Years Of PHP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Node.js Vs Php by nurain150(m): 8:37am On Sep 15, 2016
It is not that easy to get a web host with node js but there are thousand that support php
Re: Node.js Vs Php by babatope88(m): 8:39am On Sep 15, 2016
And so what?
Re: Node.js Vs Php by SeunLanLege(m): 9:32am On Sep 15, 2016
Node js us great and all but you can use php to do equally wonderful things. remember is not the hammer, but the Carpenter that does a good job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Node.js Vs Php by kingofthejungle(m): 11:32am On Sep 15, 2016
but you can use heroku to host your node.js now
Re: Node.js Vs Php by WhyAmISoQuiet: 2:59pm On Sep 15, 2016
It depends on the kind of app you want to build. There are a lot of php shared hosting providers. Shared hosting is not suitable for every app even if the app is in written php.
Re: Node.js Vs Php by FrankLampard: 4:55pm On Sep 15, 2016
WhyAmISoQuiet:
It depends on the kind of app you want to build. There are a lot of php shared hosting providers. Shared hosting is not suitable for every app even if the app is in written php.

Okay, what kind of App is shared hosting not good for?
Re: Node.js Vs Php by VenantCode(m): 5:27pm On Sep 15, 2016
FrankLampard:

Okay, what kind of App is shared hosting not good for?
shared hosting is very limited. As you grow in software development you would discover that there are times where you may need to setup some things yourself. For example most shared hosting uses apache server while you may need a more performant server like Ngnix. Consider that you were building a social network, then you would need a key-value storage system for stuffs like likes and shares which would make more sense to use a datastore like Redis instead of Mysql when handling much load, then for things like assigning jobs to various web apis workers and ensuring high availability especially while handling things like Picture and Video upload and streaming you would need a queueing system such as RabbitMQ which would be impossible on shared hosting. That's why i always suggest to go with cloud hosting like AWS and Heroku.
Re: Node.js Vs Php by FrankLampard: 6:07pm On Sep 15, 2016
VenantCode:
shared hosting is very limited. As you grow in software development you would discover that there are times where you may need to setup some things yourself. For example most shared hosting uses apache server while you may need a more performant server like Ngnix. Consider that you were building a social network, then you would need a key-value storage system for stuffs like likes and shares which would make more sense to use a datastore like Redis instead of Mysql when handling much load, then for things like assigning jobs to various web apis workers and ensuring high availability especially while handling things like Picture and Video upload and streaming you would need a queueing system such as RabbitMQ which would be impossible on shared hosting. That's why i always suggest to go with cloud hosting like AWS and Heroku.

Yes, I agree, but I wanted him to tell me the kind of Apps.
Re: Node.js Vs Php by VenantCode(m): 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2016
FrankLampard:

Yes, I agree, but I wanted him to tell me the kind of Apps.
I'm sorry, i thought it was an open question cool

1 Like

Re: Node.js Vs Php by sharrp: 7:10pm On Sep 15, 2016
This is a wrong comparison. Dont compare apple to oranges . node.js is a JavaScript run time and php a programming language .
Re: Node.js Vs Php by KvnqPrezo(m): 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2016
SeunLanLege:
Node js us great and all but you can use php to do equally wonderful things. remember is not the hammer, but the Carpenter that does a good job.
onPoint
Re: Node.js Vs Php by KvnqPrezo(m): 9:05pm On Sep 15, 2016
VenantCode:

Cloud hosting costs?
Re: Node.js Vs Php by FrankLampard: 10:23pm On Sep 15, 2016
VenantCode:
I'm sorry, i thought it was an open question cool

You can run any kind of App on shared hosting. It is only on issue of performance and maybe type of database considerations that will make one want to move to vps or dedicated platform or the cloud.
Re: Node.js Vs Php by WhyAmISoQuiet: 12:18am On Sep 16, 2016
FrankLampard:

You can run any kind of App on shared hosting. It is only on issue of performance and maybe type of database considerations that will make one want to move to vps or dedicated platform or the cloud.
True, you can run any app, even nodejs apps can run on php shared hosting (if you hack around it) but like I said "not suitable".
Re: Node.js Vs Php by VenantCode(m): 10:10am On Sep 16, 2016
FrankLampard:

I actually doubt that. Can you run a nodejs or a ruby app on shared hosting?
Re: Node.js Vs Php by VenantCode(m): 10:12am On Sep 16, 2016
KvnqPrezo:

Cloud hosting costs?
It's very cheap. Heroku has a free plan that you can start with.
Re: Node.js Vs Php by FrankLampard: 10:14am On Sep 16, 2016
VenantCode:
I actually doubt that. Can you run a nodejs or a ruby app on shared hosting?

Yes, you can run Node App on shared hosting with heavy tweaking. Some shared hosts even have SSH access nowadays.

Most shared hosts also support Ruby not only PHP.
Re: Node.js Vs Php by KvnqPrezo(m): 12:40pm On Sep 16, 2016
VenantCode:
It's very cheap. Heroku has a free plan that you can start with.
Like seriously....wow
How many disc space and bandwidth
Re: Node.js Vs Php by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 16, 2016
WhyAmISoQuiet:

True, you can run any app, even nodejs apps can run on php shared hosting (if you hack around it) but like I said "not suitable".

If your host don't use Jail, you can install it from the CLI by writing a PHP code that executes a shell script which is triggered using Cron_Jobs.

It should be something like
shell_exec('sudo apt-get install -y nodejs');

Then use your cron jobs panel to set a timer for it to run. This is just a hack around...it may not work on your server if JailBin is active.

Another way is to simply SSH into your server and run the commands if you're familiar with Linux commands.

Others may suggest otherwise, this is just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Node.js Vs Php by kingofthejungle(m): 5:09pm On Sep 16, 2016
KvnqPrezo:

Like seriously....wow
How many disc space and bandwidth
512mb ram I think scaling and bandwidth is automatic

https://www.heroku.com/pricing
Re: Node.js Vs Php by KvnqPrezo(m): 5:41pm On Sep 16, 2016
kingofthejungle:

There's this free hosting I saw...
Disc space 1000Gb

Bandwidth 1000Gb
Re: Node.js Vs Php by kingofthejungle(m): 5:48pm On Sep 16, 2016
KvnqPrezo:
There's this free hosting I saw... Disc space 1000Gb
Bandwidth 1000Gb
hmmm are u sure well its enuf to play around
Re: Node.js Vs Php by KvnqPrezo(m): 5:56pm On Sep 16, 2016
kingofthejungle:

Am still finding it hard to believe and they said no adverts...
But I have the one of 20Gb disc space...
Re: Node.js Vs Php by VenantCode(m): 9:16pm On Sep 16, 2016
FrankLampard:

Yes, you can run Node App on shared hosting with heavy tweaking. Some shared hosts even have SSH access nowadays.

Most shared hosts also support Ruby not only PHP.
Ok thanks, I didn't know that. All the same I'm still biased towards Cloud hosting grin

(1) (Reply)

So What Does It Mean To Be Self-taught? / HELP - Installing A PHP Script On My Website Using GITHUB / Php Patterns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.