Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession (22316 Views)

Casual Job Is Evil, As Current Laid Off Staff Speaks Out.. / Globacom Staffs Laid Off Without Entitlement/benefits. / First Bank Laid Off Their Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by MisterGrace: 10:42am On Sep 16, 2016
Until this week, I worked with an Environmental Consulting Firm. Things were going on smoothly and all. Nobody ever thought about it until it hit us so hard.

Hey Guys!

You know you are all good and very important to this organization? The boss started. But I am so sorry this is happening...

By this time, the perspiration on my forehead started to role down.

It was on a Monday morning and there was no sign of it coming...

As you all know, continued the boss; the company can no longer afford to pay the salaries of everybody for now. This is as the result of the ongoing economic recession in the country.

Since I can't find fault in any of you, we shall embark on some very rigorous tests and anyone who can not make it through will have to go back home, maybe when things gets back to normal, we can reconsider.

After all the talks, we were arranged into the conference room and served with question papers. In it were questions on organic chemistry, economics, physics, philosophy, politics, geography and calculus.

The pass mark was 80/100%. But in the end, despite the fact that I scored 88% I wasn't selected because, I couldn't attempt the questions on calculus.

But what can I do?
But the bitter this is that, I just got married to wifee few months ago.

101 Likes 4 Shares

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by xmileeasy: 10:47am On Sep 16, 2016
Sorry boss, better opportunities will come your way.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by MisterGrace: 10:51am On Sep 16, 2016
xmileeasy:
Sorry boss, better opportunities will come your way.

Amen... thanks sir.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by xmileeasy: 11:03am On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Amen... thanks sir.
You're welcome sir. Not so good time for some organizations and for the country entirely.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by alatbaba1(m): 11:11am On Sep 16, 2016
God is your strength. I can feel your pain.

16 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by emmanuelbrown26: 11:13am On Sep 16, 2016
man-up boss, i know its gona be hard and tough on you, most especially u have wife, ur family. Never see it as the end of the road, rather see it as the beginning of your success bus. Its well man

15 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by idu1(m): 11:54am On Sep 16, 2016
Whats your company into?
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by seapson(m): 12:17pm On Sep 16, 2016
nd some people will still blame me for
#blaming Buhari...
just wedded for dat matter
worst still,he gat no plans
#changebeginswithme
how can change begin with diz man wey just marry now?
@op,God will provide,no tink bad tin oooo..
kirikiri is real no matta d condition

38 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by DonCortino: 12:19pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Until this week, I worked with an Environmental Consulting Firm. Things were going on smoothly and all. Nobody ever thought about it until it hit us so hard.

Hey Guys!

You know you are all good and very important to this organization? The boss started. But I am so sorry this is happening...

By this time, the perspiration on my forehead started to role down.

It was on a Monday morning and there was no sign of it coming...

As you all know, continued the boss; the company can no longer afford to pay the salaries of everybody for now. This is as the result of the ongoing economic recession in the country.

Since I can't find fault in any of you, we shall embark on some very rigorous tests and anyone who can not make it through will have to go back home, maybe when things gets back to normal, we can reconsider.

After all the talks, we were arranged into the conference room and served with question papers. In it were questions on organic chemistry, economics, physics, philosophy, politics, geography and calculus.

The pass mark was 80/100%. But in the end, despite the fact that I scored 88% I wasn't selected because, I couldn't attempt the questions on calculus.

But what can I do?
But the bitter this is that, I just got married to wifee few months ago.

Did you vote for change?.... You got served!

If not, take heart God will not forget you.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 16, 2016
This can be very painful. But just know that It is well.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by BANGERLEE1(m): 12:20pm On Sep 16, 2016
hm.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by salabscholar01(m): 12:20pm On Sep 16, 2016
But the bitter this is that, I just got married to wifee few months ago

Avoid catastrophizing. Catastrophizing means to have irrational thoughts, such as exaggerating your problem by blowing it out of proportion. Just like I quoted above, you might think that you may not be able to take care of her now that you have no job? Or does it means you will never get a job again? That is a big NO...

Stop engaging in all or none thinking (e.g., I'm either going to solve this problem or my life is over)... Make mental movies of better scenarios for your life and stand up to your man. This requires that you monitor your own thoughts and try to check them for accuracy. You can monitor your thoughts by asking yourself some questions, using the cold logic...

Bro it works! It has worked for me in this similar situation... Cold logic avoiding your emotions to mix with the standing facts about about your situations... Play your part, let your wife understand the moments, and encourage her to stand with you... You can give her hope in your words while you keep exploring for better opportunities... This is a problem already, but your attitudes towards it is what defines your limitations and how you can subdue it too.

This is the time to put things into perspective. Most likely, your problem is not the end of the world: you can still carry on despite this loss. Every problem either has a solution or can be looked at in a different way that shows it’s not really such a problem at all.

Some things can’t be changed, such as a continuous thinking of this big loss, but you can learn to live with it and thrive in the wake of it. Also keep in mind that people often think negative events will make them feel worse and worse for longer than they actually do. Telling yourself this isn’t the end of the world doesn’t mean your problem is not really a problem or is insignificant. It just helps you internalize that your problems are not insurmountable... I pray you come back stronger..

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by dhardline(m): 12:21pm On Sep 16, 2016
This is sad bro... cry. Take heart, and try looking out for opportunities out there cause this is the worst period to stay idle since the expenses will Keep coming. I really hope you have some savings though to fall back on for the mean time.

2 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by StephanieLuv(f): 12:21pm On Sep 16, 2016
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by sunkoye: 12:23pm On Sep 16, 2016
it is well. God helps
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by lolamitayo: 12:23pm On Sep 16, 2016
See it as opportunity and together with your newly wedded wife Pray, I strongly believe that this is just a test of her faith in you not for what you have.

Tell her this and be good better is on the way.

It happens to me before in a very strange land but now it has become HISTORY!

4 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by SweetJoystick(m): 12:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
You shall overcome

3 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by kayowalemi(m): 12:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
How were retained or laid off?
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by marksleek25: 12:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
boss everything go work out for good. me, I'm been owed four months salary for now. its not Been easy but hey! man must survive. other opportunities go come your way.

1 Like

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by marksleek25: 12:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
boss everything go work out for good. me, I'm been owed four months salary for now. its not Ben easy but hey! man must survive. other opportunities go come your way.

2 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Emmysteve(m): 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
Buhari is curse to this country, I don't think things will work again until the curse is removed. You can't give what you don't have.

Take heart bro. I feel for your new family really.

4 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Student125(m): 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
That's the reason y I stopped searching for work cuz no one can guarantee u job security. I keep saying if I ddnt get fed govt job, den I wil rather be self employed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by DrP2000(m): 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
My brother when one door closes, so many more opens

I think this is the beginning of your success in life, go home sit down and think,on ho to establish yours, it might not be easy at first but I assure you with tenacity,hardworking,prayers and an understanding and loving wife by your side, the sky will be your starting point and Not your limit.

You will make IJN

4 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by hazyfm1: 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
As sad as it may seem, gather courage, look inside of you, start up something with the little money you have and see it grow

While doing this, begin an aggressive job hunt. I had these experience in 2009, and today I thank God it happened. Because as at now, I earn 4 times better.

The Grace you carry will see you through

2 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Doncharlie: 12:26pm On Sep 16, 2016
Na wao...Companies are downsizing rapidly,what a Country
....It will take Nigeria at least 5 years to bounce back from this RECESSION
Our only hope now is DANGOTE REFINERY

3 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 16, 2016
Ndoooo.....Join MMM grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by buoye1(m): 12:26pm On Sep 16, 2016
God will make a way for you

We should just keep praying this hard time

May God help us
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by juman(m): 12:26pm On Sep 16, 2016
Eiyah sorry.

APC destroyed nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by recievesense: 12:27pm On Sep 16, 2016
One idiot will come on air and say flight to uk is full so no recession .

That which cannot kill you will make you stronger.

2 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by appcypher: 12:27pm On Sep 16, 2016
idu1:
Whats your company into?
It's in the post na.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by ibroh22(m): 12:27pm On Sep 16, 2016
sorry boss,,,,but why calculus,,,,,I so much love it that I can solve problems on it in my sleeps,,,,,God will provide a good one

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Key Uses Of Microsoft Excel At Work / Low Income Earner? Top Secrets To Earn More Money / Stephanie Busari Promoted To CNN's Senior Editor For Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.