Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,111 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession (22320 Views)

Casual Job Is Evil, As Current Laid Off Staff Speaks Out.. / Globacom Staffs Laid Off Without Entitlement/benefits. / First Bank Laid Off Their Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by exlinkleads(f): 1:54pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Until this week, I worked with an Environmental Consulting Firm. Things were going on smoothly and all. Nobody ever thought about it until it hit us so hard.

Hey Guys!

You know you are all good and very important to this organization? The boss started. But I am so sorry this is happening...

By this time, the perspiration on my forehead started to role down.

It was on a Monday morning and there was no sign of it coming...

As you all know, continued the boss; the company can no longer afford to pay the salaries of everybody for now. This is as the result of the ongoing economic recession in the country.

Since I can't find fault in any of you, we shall embark on some very rigorous tests and anyone who can not make it through will have to go back home, maybe when things gets back to normal, we can reconsider.

After all the talks, we were arranged into the conference room and served with question papers. In it were questions on organic chemistry, economics, physics, philosophy, politics, geography and calculus.

The pass mark was 80/100%. But in the end, despite the fact that I scored 88% I wasn't selected because, I couldn't attempt the questions on calculus.

But what can I do?
But the bitter this is that, I just got married to wifee few months ago.

Aaah, my brother, the story is so touchy, i promise u one thing, God will never bring u to a place u cant succeed.

You will not lack. Just use that calculative brain of urs and move on. Ok

Oluwa is with u

1 Like

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by ImpersonatorSS: 2:03pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Until this week, I worked with an Environmental Consulting Firm. Things were going on smoothly and all. Nobody ever thought about it until it hit us so hard.

Hey Guys!

You know you are all good and very important to this organization? The boss started. But I am so sorry this is happening...

As you all know, continued the boss; the company can no longer afford to pay the salaries of everybody for now. This is as the result of the ongoing economic recession in the country.

Since I can't find fault in any of you, we shall embark on some very rigorous tests and anyone who can not make it through will have to go back home, maybe when things gets back to normal, we can reconsider.

After all the talks, we were arranged into the conference room and served with question papers. In it were questions on organic chemistry, economics, physics, philosophy, politics, geography and calculus.

The pass mark was 80/100%. But in the end, despite the fact that I scored 88% I wasn't selected because, I couldn't attempt the questions on calculus.

But what can I do?

Sorry bro. So sorry...Someone close to me too just got laid off. sad

@bolded
When Baba Adeboye counselled RCCG ladies not to marry any man without a job, I guess he didn't factor in the possibility of a man losing his job just immediately after the wedding like in your case.
I sincerely hope your wife wont be devastated...

A man having a job or not should never be the basis for any lady getting married to him.

What is more important are the potentials the man possesses vis-a-vis what he can do by himself to make money should he find himself out of paid employment if he is already in one.

Pastors in counselling sessions should ask any intending gainfully employed groom this question: "Brother, should you lose your job a day after your wedding, what will you do?"

And for those who are not in gainful employment: "Brother, what do you do for a living and do you think it can sustain a family?"

The answers you get will sieve the wheat from the chaff.

In fact, I'd prefer ladies married a comfortable/almost entrepreneur/businessman than a rich, relaxed salary-earner should they have opportunity of making a choice. As they say, he who is on the ground fears no fall.

Entrepreneurs are conservative, diehard folks who always think of the rainy day no matter how bright the sun may be shining for them at the moment.

It is well bro. I wish you best of your luck in future endeavours.

4 Likes

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by MisterGrace: 2:11pm On Sep 16, 2016
Ibidi:
I suspect this is a made up story. As in most such stories, no specifics and few details. U can fool some people some of the time but...

Thanks you are noticed.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by dome777: 2:48pm On Sep 16, 2016
Eyah... Sorry to hear that man. He who has found a wife has found a good thing. Something new and wonderful will definitely turn up soon.

All this just goes to show how much value employers place on employable candidates. Which is why a lot of people now don't have jobs. And those that are recruiting are using very rigorous means to streamline their hiring process.

But nevertheless, If you're looking for job and it seems you're not getting your desired job, ask yourself this question: Am I employable? To find out if your employable, read this article - https://www.nairaland.com/3353048/employable

You can also check out www.SpotterHR.com, an online assessment platform that connects top candidates to top employers in Nigeria.

You can take a free assessment here to see how smart you really are: http:///2cw7d5L

Good luck

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Jacko1(m): 2:50pm On Sep 16, 2016
If say firstbank do me this one say sorry you need to write test to keep ur job
I fo draw onasanya fat head
Otudeko
Chai dat oda nigbati guy dat his name start with F and submit to them saying
I dont giv a Bleep bout ur job.... Sack me please

Ba now i no for dey owe dem money wey dey accumulate interest

1 Like

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by beadaholic(f): 3:10pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Hey Guys!

But what can I do?

Well, it's not the end of the road. You can m 30% profit on you investment if you join MMM. Drop your whatsapp number if you are interested.

1 Like

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Mockinbird: 3:54pm On Sep 16, 2016
If you voted for daura change, your suffer has just began.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Iseoluwani: 3:59pm On Sep 16, 2016
salabscholar01:

Avoid catastrophizing. Catastrophizing means to have irrational thoughts, such as exaggerating your problem by blowing it out of proportion. Just like I quoted above, you might think that you may not be able to take care of her now that you have no job? Or does it means you will never get a job again? That is a big NO...

Stop engaging in all or none thinking (e.g., I'm either going to solve this problem or my life is over)... Make mental movies of better scenarios for your life and stand up to your man. This requires that you monitor your own thoughts and try to check them for accuracy. You can monitor your thoughts by asking yourself some questions, using the cold logic...

Bro it works! It has worked for me in this similar situation... Cold logic avoiding your emotions to mix with the standing facts about about your situations... Play your part, let your wife understand the moments, and encourage her to stand with you... You can give her hope in your words while you keep exploring for better opportunities... This is a problem already, but your attitudes towards it is what defines your limitations and how you can subdue it too.

This is the time to put things into perspective. Most likely, your problem is not the end of the world: you can still carry on despite this loss. Every problem either has a solution or can be looked at in a different way that shows it’s not really such a problem at all.

Some things can’t be changed, such as a continuous thinking of this big loss, but you can learn to live with it and thrive in the wake of it. Also keep in mind that people often think negative events will make them feel worse and worse for longer than they actually do. Telling yourself this isn’t the end of the world doesn’t mean your problem is not really a problem or is insignificant. It just helps you internalize that your problems are not insurmountable... I pray you come back stronger..

Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by janejive(f): 4:17pm On Sep 16, 2016
you will get a new and better job soon. always think positively no matter what. Google 'the law of attraction' peace.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2016
Shewunoshewa:

Sorry bro. So sorry...Someone close to me too just got laid off. sad

@bolded
When Baba Adeboye counselled RCCG ladies not to marry any man without a job, I guess he didn't factor in the possibility of a man losing his job just immediately after the wedding like in your case.
I sincerely hope your wife wont be devastated...

A man having a job or not should never be the basis for any lady getting married to him.

What is more important are the potentials the man possesses vis-a-vis what he can do by himself to make money should he find himself out of paid employment if he is already in one.

Pastors in counselling sessions should ask any intending gainfully employed groom this question: "Brother, should you lose your job a day after your wedding, what will you do?"

And for those who are not in gainful employment: "Brother, what do you do for a living and do you think it can sustain a family?"

The answers you get will sieve the wheat from the chaff.

In fact, I'd prefer ladies married a comfortable/almost entrepreneur/businessman than a rich, relaxed salary-earner should they have opportunity of making a choice. As they say, he who is on the ground fears no fall.

Entrepreneurs are conservative, diehard folks who always think of the rainy day no matter how bright the sun may be shining for them at the moment.

It is well bro. I wish you best of your luck in future endeavours.

my thoughts exactly,you are so on point.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by LawrenceUMS: 5:03pm On Sep 16, 2016
See The Features Available at our Alagomeji, Yaba training center

This location for our training courses was chosen to take advantage of the strategic convergence that the mainland metropolis offers

At UMS training Hub, Yaba Center, this is where you will receive accelerated training in a safe environment following a time-proven procedure in order to provide the very best training experience and it’s a few minutes’ drive to the prestigious University Of Lagos, Ozone E-center and offers easy access when coming from Island through the 3rd Mainland bridge enroute other parts of Lagos

• Located at the core of Lagos Mainland Metropolis
• Easily accessible from Island, Ikeja, Maryland, Yaba
• Adequate seating for trainees.
• Small-sized training classes of between 6 - 15
• Adequate desk/table space for equipment and computers.
• Ample electrical outlets near each table for computers, arranged to provide a safe training environment.
• Internet connection for all trainees and instructor is required for the duration of the training.
• Room with adequate lighting/acoustics.
• Projector and white board/flip chart.
• Fully Air-conditioned training facility
• Prior to the training classes, we collate all those who will be attending.
• Structured time-table for trainees
• Professional Instructors
• 24/7 Power supply training center facility

We offer 100% practical training in WEB DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT, MOBILE APP DEVELOPMENT, WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT (JAVA, PHP, PYTHON, LARAVEL, JAVASCRIPT, ETC), VIDEO EDITING, 3D ANIMATIONS, MOTION GRAPHICS, PHOTOGRAPHY, DIGITAL MEDIA MARKETING)

Register Online www.umstraining.xyz or Come in person or call – We’re open Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pmpm (weekend training coming soon at our Yaba Training center)

UMS Training Center | 07034711141, BBM 7AF02B2D | Email: Yabacenter@umstraining.xyz | Website: www.umstraining.xyz
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Sunnypar(m): 5:05pm On Sep 16, 2016
You should be happy. I was told I was on a compulsory leave, that a kind of way of subtly saying your services are no longer needed.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by obaf(m): 5:09pm On Sep 16, 2016
So sorry man, Dont know why that happens with in 6 months of marraige, its part of challenges of life.
had my experience 8years ago but i just went solo and started my won runs and all glory to God i survived it
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by odogwu9(m): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Hey Guys!

But what can I do?

#dude you scored 88% and you didn't attempt calculus..if u had attempted calculus u would have scored 120/100...
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Infomaz(m): 5:41pm On Sep 16, 2016
Sorry for the unexpected turn of events, but you have to be mentally strong. Talk n pray with your wife, but prayer alone will not work...your faith should be backed by works.

1. Forget about looking for another work immediately, it may take some time, consume badly needed funds n frustrate you.
2. Think of what you can learn - a vocational skill that will put money in your pocket daily. E.g GSM/Computer repairs, Barbing Saloon, Buying foodstuffs from rural areas n selling/supplying Urban markets, schools, restaurant. Learning to produce Household liquid detergents, bleach, air freshener, etc.

3. What does your wife do? She can learn how to bake n market snacks, bead design, makeup, etc.

4. With a laptop n internet connection, plus good training, you can earn money online.

5. This is not d time to lament or bemoan your situation. Do you have a vision for your life? what goods or services can you offer that is highly needed by others to solve their problems?

I've been in your shoes before n by God's grace, this setback can become your stepping stone to success....like mine was.

You shall Succeed.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by djon78(m): 5:55pm On Sep 16, 2016
God is your strength, He will see you through this trying times. And this will really be a true test of the love between you and your wifee.

For many of those in relationships and marriage,this period will be an eye opener, because lets be honest things are really scary, most especially for salaried workers. Only those that will survive are those who planned ahead by having a business by the side. I remember far back 2014, in a church cell meeting, I was advising those that were working to ensure they have a business by he side they attend to on Saturdays and public holidays, that it will enable them to learn how to run business, that it was dangerous to not do so.
And truthfully running business is in fact not easy, I have been doing so since 6 years ago, made quite some mistakes, lost millions, saw hell, but it made me stronger, tougher, wiser and also huge experience and learning curve.

Anyway they may look for another job or maybe start a business, but whatever my heart goes out to them and I pray they succede. Amen
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by ScofieldBello(m): 6:01pm On Sep 16, 2016
You must really be in need of help in all ramifications.
Buhari this, Buhari that!
So, if he hadn't married...it would have been normal ba?
You reek of misunderstanding and carry, with pride, ignorance in system of government.
What is your own impact?
What solutions have you provided?
What do you wanna do differently?
....these never crossed your ill-equipped mind but only to be blaming PMB.
seapson:
nd some people will still blame me for
#blaming Buhari...
just wedded for dat matter
worst still,he gat no plans
#changebeginswithme
how can change begin with diz man wey just marry now?
@op,God will provide,no tink bad tin oooo..
kirikiri is real no matta d condition
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Ibidi: 6:39pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Thanks you are noticed.

What sealed u as a faker is the new wife angle.
Fakers can't resist adding the extra - its always a new wife or new baby or dead father etc
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by ScofieldBello(m): 6:50pm On Sep 16, 2016
It will soon be over sir.
Stay strong for yourself and family.
I have been there too but I came out stronger and wiser.
Remain Blessed bro.
MisterGrace:

Hey Guys!

But what can I do?
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by shinebabe(f): 7:00pm On Sep 16, 2016
Op,start a business, part time or full time, while searching for another job I know of a business you can start with as low as N2,500, and you will be on your way to making N1m exclusive of sales profits possible within six/seven months. What do you have to lose?
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by ScofieldBello(m): 7:03pm On Sep 16, 2016
...and your very smart father refused to contest for that seat so we would have had a supposedly better option?
You are a clown!
DDeliverer:
Chaii. ..BUHARI has finished this country..

This man is a curse to the Nigerian people...

Tufiakwa!

BUHARI's dullness has destroyed this country...
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by belcom10(m): 7:08pm On Sep 16, 2016
Bro don't let this setback weigh u down, jst gear up and believe on God and he will surely make a way. God bless u.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 16, 2016
ScofieldBello:
...and your very smart father refused to contest for that seat so we would have had a supposedly better option?
You are a clown!

You had a better option in GEJ but the zombie in you will not let you think!
You are a melu-melu.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by wroskian(m): 8:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace, sorry about what happened. Open doors around the corner for you. CHEER UP!!!
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 16, 2016
MisterGrace:

Hey Guys!

But what can I do?
Did u vote for Buhari in the 2015 election? If u did,enjoy ur change. But if is the other way round,am sorry for ur loss
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by poshbrave(m): 8:38pm On Sep 16, 2016
Calculus why na ....is a test of Ur wife love.
Trust me God is working out sth big
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by funom2004(m): 11:04pm On Sep 16, 2016
God will see you through
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Burgerlomo: 12:03am On Sep 17, 2016
God will surely make a way for you where there seems to be no way.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by kreamzy1: 1:47pm On Sep 17, 2016
Bros, you were the target.

How will they evict you because of Calculus.. If you were able to do Physics, what now happened to Calculus?

You did Econs, Chemistry, Philosophy and Geography , what a combination and you still got 88%.. Its either the witches in ur village has remembered your case or your not telling us the truth.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by ScofieldBello(m): 10:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
You are the least of my country's problems hence the need to completely ignore you. A Zombie seem better than you. GEJ: A better option?! Like seriously?
You are a Muda!
DDeliverer:

You had a better option in GEJ but the zombie in you will not let you think!
You are a melu-melu.
Re: See How We Were Stylishly Laid Off Due To The Ongoing Recession by Emmey67: 11:07pm On Sep 17, 2016
In these present time where things are hard in the country and everything is on the increase without increase in salary and so much lost in jobs. why not make additional N20000-50000 every month and have a substantial savings at the end of this year.

If you are interested I will guide you until you see the alert on your phone.

Add me on whatapp No. :07039575096

Send I am interested and I will add you to the group

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Key Uses Of Microsoft Excel At Work / Low Income Earner? Top Secrets To Earn More Money / Stephanie Busari Promoted To CNN's Senior Editor For Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.