Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. (2493 Views)

Aspiring Programmers Come In Lets Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 4:49pm On Sep 16, 2016
How did you learn you current stacks?

How do you learn new concepts? Tutorials or Documentation or more?

What makes one to become an expert in a given stack?

*More questions may come.

Telling us this will improve the learning capability of the newbies.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by KvnqPrezo(m): 5:58pm On Sep 16, 2016
Not yet an expert lemmme wait for 'em to come!
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by KvnqPrezo(m): 5:59pm On Sep 16, 2016
Lemme wait for the experts...I'm still learning. tongue
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by VenantCode(m): 9:36pm On Sep 16, 2016
Disclosure: I'm still on intermediate level. I learn mostly by picking a reading pdfs and reading docs. I rarely use video tutorials.

1 Like

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by KvnqPrezo(m): 9:42pm On Sep 16, 2016
VenantCode:
Disclosure: I'm still on intermediate level. I learn mostly by picking a reading pdfs and reading docs. I rarely use video tutorials.
Usinq both but there's nothing like practicing as you're learning..
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 8:16am On Sep 17, 2016
VenantCode:

What makes one to become an intermediate in a given stack?
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by VenantCode(m): 10:32am On Sep 17, 2016
FrankLampard:

What makes one to become an intermediate in a given stack?
what i do is that i pick an idea for a project and then learn all i need for that project. I don't just pick anything to learn without having a need for it. For example what i am currently using to learn NodeJs is to build a livestreaming webapp(which will soon be opensourced). I learn mostly just from Tutorials, Documentation and studing opensource projects. Study and build using good practises.

1 Like

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by paranorman(m): 11:08am On Sep 17, 2016
PDF files do the magic for me. I still consider my self a beginner sha, with a little of documentation and web resources, esp w3schools.

I create problems for myself or try to solve some existing one, or try to improve a pre-existing code. When the need comes to learn some advanced stuffs, I do. When I see some codes pros write and I understand it or can make it better, I rank myself higher.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 11:17am On Sep 17, 2016
anything readable from online to pdf
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 12:30pm On Sep 17, 2016
VenantCode:
what i do is that i pick an idea for a project and then learn all i need for that project. I don't just pick anything to learn without having a need for it. For example what i am currently using to learn NodeJs is to build a livestreaming webapp(which will soon be opensourced). I learn mostly just from Tutorials, Documentation and studing opensource projects. Study and build using good practises.

Thanks for your response.

What are the criteria to say you are an intermediate?

1 Like

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by VenantCode(m): 1:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
FrankLampard:

Thanks for your response.

What are the criteria to say you are an intermediate?
Contribute to opensource projects. Able to successfully build apps of a median complexity from scratch to finish using good practises.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 17, 2016
I was born a programmer. . . .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by KvnqPrezo(m): 7:28pm On Sep 17, 2016
dhtml18:

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha...i was not born a programmer but I want to be a born again...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 7:33pm On Sep 17, 2016
dhtml18:

How many Project Euler question have you solved?
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 17, 2016
I read all books I could lay my hands on. I dislike video tutorials with a passion, i think it is too slow. I read books with almost the same speed as superman.
When i attack any language, I am very consistent with it before moving on to the next.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2016
dhtml18:
I read all books I could lay my hands on. I dislike video tutorials with a passion, i think it is too slow. I read books with almost the same speed as superman.
When i attack any language, I am very consistent with it before moving on to the next.

How many Project Euler questions have you solved
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by Codenister: 5:42am On Sep 18, 2016
In my earliest days of learning to program, I'd download PDFs and read and practiced.
Most of these days now, I majorly use documentation and online tutorials as I now have internet readily available (at least a 95% availability)

I like details, but I always feel videos are not usually well detailed so I hardly use videos (except in some rare instances)

1 Like

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by castrokins(m): 6:48am On Sep 18, 2016
Hi Guys, I Need A Developer For My Projects.

1 Like

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 18, 2016
FrankLampard:

How many Project Euler questions have you solved
access forbidden. . . .500 error encountered

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 8:30am On Sep 18, 2016
Codenister:
In my earliest days of learning to program, I'd download PDFs and read and practiced.
Most of these days now, I majorly use documentation and online tutorials as I now have internet readily available (at least a 95% availability)

I like details, but I always feel videos are not usually well detailed so I hardly use videos (except in some rare instances)

Are you a senior, intermediate or junior developer, if any? What makes you think so? How did you achieve it? How long did it take you?
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by VenantCode(m): 7:00pm On Sep 18, 2016
What about you @op tell us about yourself.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 18, 2016
Curiosity and hard-work got me where I am and will take me further. I learnt from a lot of videos, books and apps. I always want to know why something works the way it works, I always picture scenarios, work-flows and basic algorithms in my head so by the time I get to the Laptop, and I've got a problem I attack it with a bulls horn, I don't give up easily..you that are reading this, yes YOU... Don't give up, you may not know this but there are people waiting for you to fail/give up... When I learnt PHP, at first, my code never exceeded the if...else...echo logic but I was able to get the best out of it and now I have not only built for the web with PHP, I have also written CLI scripts and daemons with the language (not the right tool tho).

And I'm always ready and happy to preach the knowledge to people as Christians evangelize and win developers.

For those that are on Quora and need answers, I remain @DanielTheGeek

1 Like

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 7:14pm On Sep 18, 2016
VenantCode:
What about you @op tell us about yourself.

I don't know the category I will place myself that is why I asking.

I'm presently without job, doing freelancing, but the economic crunch is not helping matters.

I have solved 20+ Project Euler questions (Not Sure, I will check). Done few project, not online tho.

Off course, I'm a fan of Design Patterns, I keep security and performance in mind when developing.

I am presently looking for any opportunity.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by VenantCode(m): 7:33pm On Sep 18, 2016
FrankLampard:

I don't know the category I will place myself that is why I asking.

I'm presently without job, doing freelancing, but the economic crunch is not helping matters.

I have solved 20+ Project Euler questions (Not Sure, I will check). Done few project, not online tho.

Off course, I'm a fan of Design Patterns, I keep security and performance in mind when developing.

I am presently looking for any opportunity.
That's nice. What design patterns do you use?

1 Like

Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 7:40pm On Sep 18, 2016
VenantCode:
That's nice. What design patterns do you use?

Depends on what I'm working on. Generally I use Algorithmic Strategy, when designing an Application.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by VenantCode(m): 7:47pm On Sep 18, 2016
FrankLampard:

Depends on what I'm working on. Generally I use Algorithmic Strategy, when designing an Application.
Do you develop api's (restful webservices)?
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 18, 2016
dhtml18:

access forbidden. . . .500 error encountered
Hahahha, I laugh when I saw your response to his questions.

The way he dey ask like say he is bot.You come answer am like say you ma na machine.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by Codenister: 9:20pm On Sep 18, 2016
FrankLampard:

Are you a senior, intermediate or junior developer, if any? What makes you think so? How did you achieve it? How long did it take you?
I'm not exactly sure where to categorize myself, but I believe i lean more towards the intermediate level.

Looking back now, it's been 4 years since I started.
I started with the normal html CSS. Tried learning JavaScript but I didn't understand a thing.
Then picked up PHP and I found it easier. Added MySQL after a few months. I got so confused at a point because I wanted to learn almost all languages available (you can't blame me, I was juvenile). Tried Perl, lisp, Java, Python, but I "ran away" when I no get am.

I had almost a year break from active programming due to the fact that I had no PC anymore but my early 2015 I resumed again, now with a bang. Started learning Python and it just seemed to click. Wrote a couple of "cool apps", and I even taught Python to people.
By mid 2015, picked up Java as well, and it seemed so easy.

And then a number of web projects came in and I had to use php again, so i did some revision and boom, I am now more of a web guy.
Now I can comfortably say I can write Java, Python, php amd JavaScript, and maybe html and CSS .
In conclusion, it took me 4 years to get to this stage
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 9:28pm On Sep 18, 2016
Codenister:

I'm not exactly sure where to categorize myself, but I believe i lean more towards the intermediate level.

Looking back now, it's been 4 years since I started.
I started with the normal html CSS. Tried learning JavaScript but I didn't understand a thing.
Then picked up PHP and I found it easier. Added MySQL after a few months. I got so confused at a point because I wanted to learn almost all languages available (you can't blame me, I was juvenile). Tried Perl, lisp, Java, Python, but I "ran away" when I no get am.

I had almost a year break from active programming due to the fact that I had no PC anymore but my early 2015 I resumed again, now with a bang. Started learning Python and it just seemed to click. Wrote a couple of "cool apps", and I even taught Python to people.
By mid 2015, picked up Java as well, and it seemed so easy.

And then a number of web projects came in and I had to use php again, so i did some revision and boom, I am now more of a web guy.
Now I can comfortably say I can write Java, Python, php amd JavaScript, and maybe html and CSS .
In conclusion, it took me 4 years to get to this stage

Nice one. Well detailed.

Have you delve into competitive programming before?
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 9:34pm On Sep 18, 2016
VenantCode:
Do you develop api's (restful webservices)?

Yes sure, I recently collaborated in building a School Portal, so I was given the task of creating the Rest for the Web Platform. I started writing the REST with Phalcon, but some requirements was changed, so I switched to Laravel.

For me developing RESTful API is more simpler than otherwise.

I have also developed, RESTful services too with Spring Framework, but not on a serious note.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by VenantCode(m): 10:36pm On Sep 18, 2016
FrankLampard:

Yes sure, I recently collaborated in building a School Portal, so I was given the task of creating the Rest for the Web Platform. I started writing the REST with Phalcon, but some requirements was changed, so I switched to Laravel.

For me developing RESTful API is more simpler than otherwise.

I have also developed, RESTful services too with Spring Framework, but not on a serious note.
That's cool. You're also good yourself. Keep it up. In btw Have you participated in google codejam or topcoders competition before.
Re: Developers, Come In Lets Be Truthful. by FrankLampard: 6:05am On Sep 19, 2016
VenantCode:
That's cool. You're also good yourself. Keep it up. In btw Have you participated in google codejam or topcoders competition before.

TopCoder, but I haven't tried CodeJam

(1) (2) (Reply)

Regex Phone Number(nigerian Format) In Python / Got A Remote EU Job But… / I Need Help With Android Studio!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.